• 66(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
I don't use NCP auto.  I use RGB (I want to retain a correct Windows desktop for my workstation since a PC device is RGB unlike other devices and not add an unnecessary conversion even if not using the desktop) Full (matching my panel 0-255 calibration to achieve WTW and BTB) 8bit (to avoid rare banding scenes and 12bit does not survive a reboot with newer drivers anymore and my panel is 10bit which is not offered by nVidia for some unknown reason).

I created profiles in madVR for Devices/Display/calibration using one for BT.2020 and another for BT.709 to control the two gamuts. 

if (HDR) "BT.2020"
 else "BT.709"

Then another profile for Properties/10-bit (10bit or higher) and 8-bit (auto) bit depths.

If (deintFps <= 30) "10-bit"
 else "8-bit"

If you don't want to use the profiles and you want 8bit all the time, set 8bit in madVR Display/properties/8bit.  Play your 1080p and open the NCP and change your 12bit to 8bit.  Maybe it will survive a reboot.  Most people use NCP auto aka YCbCr to gain 12bit and trade off a functioning desktop by eliminating RGB and/or to match color space with other YCbCr devices and not upset the chain.  Are you actually 'seeing' a difference 8bit vs 12bit?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I haven't payed close attention to any differences yet. I just realized that it switches to 12bit, even though I start a 8bit movie. My tv is a samsung q7fn (i don't know if that matters)

And if I set NCP to automatic it's RGB Full 8bit, not YCbCr

where can I add this profile? I wanna try it
(2018-12-18, 05:14)brazen1 Wrote: I don't use NCP auto.  I use RGB (I want to retain a correct Windows desktop for my workstation since a PC device is RGB unlike other devices and not add an unnecessary conversion even if not using the desktop) Full (matching my panel 0-255 calibration to achieve WTW and BTB) 8bit (to avoid rare banding scenes and 12bit does not survive a reboot with newer drivers anymore and my panel is 10bit which is not offered by nVidia for some unknown reason).

I created profiles in madVR for Devices/Display/calibration using one for BT.2020 and another for BT.709 to control the two gamuts. 

if (HDR) "BT.2020"
 else "BT.709"
 You don't need the profile for HDR content. The setting in calibration only applies to the display's SDR mode/calibration. HDR content is always passed through without any change to the gamut. This should be more clear, but it isn't. But that is what it is doing.
ah ok .. thx for the reply Smile

one last question. what is better for hdr full bluray isos?

dvdfab player 5
dvdfab media player 3 (i don't see any differences in the menu between the 2 players, is there actually a difference?)
or also MPC-BE with madvr?
v.5 requires you to manually turn HDR on/off in Windows.  It doesn't use private API's anymore to do the switching automatically.  Also, Windows HDR does not initiate your panels calibration settings automatically.  That also requires manual input before and after playback.  I think most folks just use the HDR to SDR conversion offered that simplifies all the guesswork but ultimately masks the limitations of the upgraded version.  API's are better.  I no longer use v.5. 

v.3 uses private API's for HDR switching.  All the limitations and manual input requirements are not present and produces a very good picture.  With untouched original sources, I doubt most would notice a difference using madVR vs DVDFab honestly.  It should be noted, v.3 offers no MVC Frame Packed 3D capability.  v.5 does but REQUIRES you change resolution from 2160p to 1080p before playback or it will crash Windows and more than likely corrupt your GPU drivers.  You'll also need to switch back after playback.  So, I just use PDVD v.18 problem free and requires no manual input before and after viewing. 

Both versions mount and read iso's rendering complete menus.
Those are your differences you are not seeing.

MPC players with madVR cannot read and mount iso's.  You have to use an external mounting software and launch all of it seamlessly via KODI outlined in this guide.  While offering more settings that may lead to superior quality, only main movie playback is possible and no menus will exist.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
thx for the detailed answer! but I don't use kodi at all. Smile 

and regarding media player 3: It doesn't switch to HDR automaticly :-\ It detects the movie as HDR, but it's clearly SDR :-\ My TV doesn't switch to HDR. 

I'm on version 3.2.0.1. Maybe that's the problem? Or can this be a problem with my settings?

I don't watch 3D btw

edit: i've just downloaded version 3.1.0.2 but this version doesn't even start the disc and it doesn't even have a hdr option in the menu
Because you're using a newer driver.  None of them work anymore and you should be using an older driver as explained here (given you even use nVidia) https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2797289

If you aren't using KODI, let alone the methods to incorporate various external players for every type of file one could possibly want to play correctly, and you aren't keeping up with the thread, what are your ultimate intentions?

i have my (gaming) pc hooked up to my samsung TV and I just wanna get the best/a proper image for sdr and hdr out of my players. 

I don't have any use for kodi and I don't use so many players. only dvdfab and mpc-be

I will try to go back to an older driver. But I'm confused about the audio mod you mention. Is that important? (my pc is hooked up to my AVR and i'm bitstreaming my audio formats to the receiver)

thank you very much for your patience and for your help. I'm sorry that I'm not following the thread a lot, but I am a single father and I work a lot. I don't have the time to read over 60 pages :-\
I don't know if the audio bug affects you or not.  It does me.  To be on the safe side, edit it either as I've done or was suggested by another user:

Download 2 drivers from nVidia - 388.59 and 416.81.
Create a New Folder.
Unzip 388.59.exe instead of just double clicking the installer.  I used WinRAR.  Open the File tab for a new archive and navigate to 388.59.exe.  Extract the HDAudio folder to New Folder.
Unzip 416.81.exe instead of just double clicking the installer as you did above.  Extract all the files and folders except HDAudio also to New Folder.
Run the Install.exe.

I encourage you to use KODI as a front end and apply the method here to bring your experience to life, especially your library.

(2018-12-19, 20:46)brazen1 Wrote: v.5 requires you to manually turn HDR on/off in Windows.  It doesn't use private API's anymore to do the switching automatically.  Also, Windows HDR does not initiate your panels calibration settings automatically.  That also requires manual input before and after playback.  I think most folks just use the HDR to SDR conversion offered that simplifies all the guesswork but ultimately masks the limitations of the upgraded version.  API's are better.  I no longer use v.5. 

v.3 uses private API's for HDR switching.  All the limitations and manual input requirements are not present and produces a very good picture.  With untouched original sources, I doubt most would notice a difference using madVR vs DVDFab honestly.  It should be noted, v.3 offers no MVC Frame Packed 3D capability.  v.5 does but REQUIRES you change resolution from 2160p to 1080p before playback or it will crash Windows and more than likely corrupt your GPU drivers.  You'll also need to switch back after playback.  So, I just use PDVD v.18 problem free and requires no manual input before and after viewing. 

Both versions mount and read iso's rendering complete menus.
Those are your differences you are not seeing.

MPC players with madVR cannot read and mount iso's.  You have to use an external mounting software and launch all of it seamlessly via KODI outlined in this guide.  While offering more settings that may lead to superior quality, only main movie playback is possible and no menus will exist.
Thank you for saving me about $ 100  for a copy of v5 .  For the limited number of 3d titles I have ( mostly animation - the 2 live action ones , the 3d does not do well) I can live with mpc. Using V3 for UHD works like a charm. What is the best nvidia driver version? I am using 385.41 , is there any point in going up to the 416 version ?
amd FX 6300 , 8GB ram, 1050TI. MB M5a97 LE r2.0
If 385.41 works for you, use it.  Back when it was released, it didn't work proper for me but 385.28 did and continues to this day.  Many continue to use it.  There has always been a frame drop every 4.3 mins or so with Nvidia drivers.  Whether you actually see it or not determines some importance.  Some have reported newer drivers drop the frame less frequently but only in 3D mode.  I haven't noticed a difference.  I try to stay on top of driver versions and apply the latest that will work whether there's any improvements or not simply to test if there's been any improvements and pass along my findings.  I'm on the lookout for an added 10bit RGB mode, a harmonious W10 audio switch, and of course the candace issue with the dropped frame and that's why I always use the latest working offering.  So, there may be no point in upgrading for you but others mileage may vary.

If you haven't done so already, and others too, please rate the thread.  It gives me incentive to continue and gauges if the time I spend here actually helps folks or even reaches them.  Thank you.

just wanted thanks for the all the info on this thread @brazen1. Very helpfull Smile
thank you very much brazen!

I've switched to 416.81 with the DDU and now dvdfab player3 switches to HDR automaticly Smile thx for great support and patience with me Smile
You guys are welcome! 

MPC-HC update today.  https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175209

I want to play HDR and 3D iso files with MPC-BE instead of PDVD and gone crazy to get it to work. After spending hours i got it and thought to share it here.
The issue was my MPCBE.bat file. VIP is the red marked "%1" entry when, if not set, let MPC-BE not find either the VCD drive or the mounted file. And second VIP is the command order in ":playiso" passage. Otherwise the windows 3D on/off switch will not work. I use also windows 10 stereoscopic task from #46.
For MPCBE.bat file i used:

Set file=%1
Set dummy=%file:iso=%
IF NOT %dummy% == %file% (GOTO playiso) ELSE (goto playbdmv)

:playbdmv
set pth=%1
set pth=%pth:BDMV\MovieObject.bdmv=%
set pth=%pth:BDMV\index.bdmv=%
"C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe" %pth% exit
exit

:playiso
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
"C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe" %1 F:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable
exit

Last unsolved issue is that sometimes Kodi v18 crash when back in Kodi, mainly when switch to window mode.
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600
  • 66(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39