• 76(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
Anyone had any luck getting the stereoscopic drivers (3D) from < 419 to work with driver version > 419?
Thanks for the detailed post
What if you add rule for codec X.264, H.264, VC-1, AVC (and whatever those FHD videos may have, except for HEVC) + resolution rule 1080p at the same time for MPCHC-BE.? Can you even add multiple rules in a same line? That would the most logical solution (if it would be possible). 

And I would be also curious that what makes you choose these different players for these particular video formats? 

Another observation (don't know if it concerns the problem): 1080p Rips are often cropped by the black bars, so those are actually in the res 800p, 802p etc... determined by the actual aspect ratio of the original material (anything different from 16:9), and often also by just how the cropping success, or accurate.

Changing the Topic: so no petition for Nvidia bringing back 3D support?
Brazen1
I've been using your setup for HDR for a very long time and I've had only one issue and was hoping maybe you had some advice.  The issue is every single time when the pc wakes up or after a reboot and I launch something in HDR the color space is at 8 bit.  If I change it to 12 bit manually and open an HDR file it works fine.  Closing the HDR file reverts back to 60 hz and 8 bit and then play HDR again it changes to 23 hz at 12 bit all day long, as long as the pc doesn't sleep or reboot.  It doesn't matter what nvidia driver I use and it does always switch to the correct refresh rate just the color space doesn't   I've tried the edid overide and the same thing happens.   Any ideas what I can do?   Do you know of a command line to switch this? 
thx man
Way back when, nVidia color space changed the ability to survive a reboot with further driver updates.  You are not alone.  Everyone had the same experience.  I'm pretty sure it still works with driver 385.28.  Only problem is, with Windows O/S updates (most likely the latest 1903) driver 385.28 has went bonkers for me.  It used to work really good but I've been using a newer driver for quite some time so I don't exactly what caused it to break.  Funny you mention this... for the heck of it I tried 385.28 a couple times this month.  It was only recently I realized old faithful isn't so faithful anymore.  In my case, turning my Denon AVR off reverts the entire driver install to limited and I'm always set to RGB.  I can set back to RGB but the next time the AVR toggles on/off, it resets to limited.  I can no longer use 385.28.  The same may not be true for others but that's my experience.

About 8bit and 12bit:  Most panels only handle 10bit.  12bit can dither down to 10bit.  Nvidia doesn't offer 10bit.  The difference between 8bit and 10bit I can't notice.  The higher the bit, the more likely you will introduce banding.  I get banding using 12bit dithered to 10.  In conclusion and imo, fighting for 10/12bit vs using 8bit isn't worth the paper it's written on. 

I have a script I used a long time ago for toggling refresh rates such as 60Hz to 24Hz and used it with QRes back when drivers had problems.  Maybe you can edit it for a color space addition to the resolution change if you find it worthwhile.  I think you could add it to the .bats to automate it.  Honestly I don't want to hassle with it again.  The first time was enough.  Pretty certain it's in the guide someplace but here it is again for you to modify if its even doable:

(function() {
       var refreshRate = 0;
       // Get current refresh rate
       var wmiService = GetObject('WinMgmts://./root/cimv2');
       refreshRate = new Enumerator(
           wmiService.ExecQuery('SELECT * FROM Win32_VideoController WHERE Availability <> 8')
       ).item(0).CurrentRefreshRate;

if (typeof refreshRate != 'number' || refreshRate === 0) {
           WScript.Echo('Duh. Cannot determine current refresh rate.');
       } else {
           // Run QRes.exe to change refresh rate
           var fs = new ActiveXObject('Scripting.FileSystemObject');
           var shell = new ActiveXObject('WScript.Shell');
           shell.Run(fs.GetAbsolutePathName(fs.BuildPath(
               fs.GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName), 'QRes.exe')
               ) + ' /x 3840 /y 2160 /r:' + (refreshRate >= 59 ? 24 : 60), 0, true);
       }
 })();

If you look around in the links in the guide, you should find some madVR profiles I shared for 8bit and 10bit automated selections.  I think there's screenshots of all of it in addition to the madVR .bin you can d/l to save you all the manual work.  I still use the profiles from time to time.  Keep in mind the settings have to match the entire chain else it will default to lowest bit.  For example you can tell madVR how to handle the bits but if your GPU is set to 8bit you're never going to render anything higher.  Here is the profile code you're looking for and you can edit to fit your needs:  

If (deintFps <= 30) "10-bit"
 else "8-bit"
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-06-23, 03:31)brazen1 Wrote: Way back when, nVidia color space changed the ability to survive a reboot with further driver updates.  You are not alone.  Everyone had the same experience.  I'm pretty sure it still works with driver 385.28.  Only problem is, with Windows O/S updates (most likely the latest 1903) driver 385.28 has went bonkers for me.  It used to work really good but I've been using a newer driver for quite some time so I don't exactly what caused it to break.  Funny you mention this... for the heck of it I tried 385.28 a couple times this month.  It was only recently I realized old faithful isn't so faithful anymore.  In my case, turning my Denon AVR off reverts the entire driver install to limited and I'm always set to RGB.  I can set back to RGB but the next time the AVR toggles on/off, it resets to limited.  I can no longer use 385.28.  The same may not be true for others but that's my experience.

About 8bit and 12bit:  Most panels only handle 10bit.  12bit can dither down to 10bit.  Nvidia doesn't offer 10bit.  The difference between 8bit and 10bit I can't notice.  The higher the bit, the more likely you will introduce banding.  I get banding using 12bit dithered to 10.  In conclusion and imo, fighting for 10/12bit vs using 8bit isn't worth the paper it's written on. 

I have a script I used a long time ago for toggling refresh rates such as 60Hz to 24Hz and used it with QRes back when drivers had problems.  Maybe you can edit it for a color space addition to the resolution change if you find it worthwhile.  I think you could add it to the .bats to automate it.  Honestly I don't want to hassle with it again.  The first time was enough.  Pretty certain it's in the guide someplace but here it is again for you to modify if its even doable:

(function() {
       var refreshRate = 0;
       // Get current refresh rate
       var wmiService = GetObject('WinMgmts://./root/cimv2');
       refreshRate = new Enumerator(
           wmiService.ExecQuery('SELECT * FROM Win32_VideoController WHERE Availability <> 8')
       ).item(0).CurrentRefreshRate;

if (typeof refreshRate != 'number' || refreshRate === 0) {
           WScript.Echo('Duh. Cannot determine current refresh rate.');
       } else {
           // Run QRes.exe to change refresh rate
           var fs = new ActiveXObject('Scripting.FileSystemObject');
           var shell = new ActiveXObject('WScript.Shell');
           shell.Run(fs.GetAbsolutePathName(fs.BuildPath(
               fs.GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName), 'QRes.exe')
               ) + ' /x 3840 /y 2160 /r:' + (refreshRate >= 59 ? 24 : 60), 0, true);
       }
 })();

If you look around in the links in the guide, you should find some madVR profiles I shared for 8bit and 10bit automated selections.  I think there's screenshots of all of it in addition to the madVR .bin you can d/l to save you all the manual work.  I still use the profiles from time to time.  Keep in mind the settings have to match the entire chain else it will default to lowest bit.  For example you can tell madVR how to handle the bits but if your GPU is set to 8bit you're never going to render anything higher.  Here is the profile code you're looking for and you can edit to fit your needs:  

If (deintFps <= 30) "10-bit"
 else "8-bit"
I said fuqit and went back to 385.28   this just gets too much for me anymore with kids and the ole lady
Hi all do you know if a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 card will be of to playback all 4k codecs for streaming and 4k blurays with hdr and dolby vision.  not to sure if I read that V9 was not supported, and what about Netflix HDR  has that been added for rx570 and vega

thanks
(2019-06-27, 23:35)meridius Wrote: Hi all do you know if a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 card will be of to playback all 4k codecs for streaming and 4k blurays with hdr and dolby vision.  not to sure if I read that V9 was not supported, and what about Netflix HDR  has that been added for rx570 and vega

thanks

RX 570 is well enough in power for 4K / HDR, but Dolby Vision is not supported on PC by any playback solution. AMD RX cards doesn't have support for VP9, only up from Vega having support for VP9.
(2019-06-28, 07:53)Mount81 Wrote:
(2019-06-27, 23:35)meridius Wrote: Hi all do you know if a Sapphire Radeon RX 570 card will be of to playback all 4k codecs for streaming and 4k blurays with hdr and dolby vision.  not to sure if I read that V9 was not supported, and what about Netflix HDR  has that been added for rx570 and vega

thanks

RX 570 is well enough in power for 4K / HDR, but Dolby Vision is not supported on PC by any playback solution. AMD RX cards doesn't have support for VP9, only up from Vega having support for VP9.

thanks, do I need VP9 support ? what uses it.  I am surprised that the vega support it but not there rx cards. also do all vega and rx cards  support Netflix HDR ?

thanks
(2019-06-28, 19:11)meridius Wrote:
(2019-06-28, 07:53)Mount81 Wrote:

thanks

thanks, do I need VP9 support ? what uses it.  I am surprised that the vega support it but not there rx cards. also do all vega and rx cards  support Netflix HDR ?

thanks  

YT streaming releases are natively in VP9, but nothing much else at the moment. Vega supports it because it's newer than the RX series.
cheers, what I have been reading VP9 is more cpu dependent than GFX cards apart from vega which sort of helps but its not a true decoder it just helps the cpu.

is there anything else I need to look out before I buy as I am sure I read Netflix does not support HDR on vega but does on the RX series

thanks
(2019-06-07, 05:34)Mount81 Wrote: Changing the Topic: so no petition for Nvidia bringing back 3D support?
I am all for such a petition, although i am not sure how much it is relevant to Kodi. If i get a working non-NVidia 3D/HDR solution, i don't need NVidia for watching media. But of course i would love to high quality 3D gaming, and it doesn't seem as if AMD wants to be in that boat, which leaves but one option: NVidia.

I guess i'll have to install a final windows 10 for 3D gaming soon and then do a partition backup so i can restore to that state with last 3D driver from NVidia.

Has anyone dared to spend the money on a Quadro card to check if 3D is still available there ? And if 3D gaming was ever supported on them (no idea, never bought a quadro).
For you guys that need to use latest nVidia drivers to keep up with your game support but still desire 3D support (which was dropped), have a look here https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...played-/1/

I don't need gaming drivers and have not tested.  I continue to use v.416.81.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Is this possible to utilize this for a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B?
(2019-07-11, 17:52)brazen1 Wrote: For you guys that need to use latest nVidia drivers to keep up with your game support but still desire 3D support (which was dropped), have a look here https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...played-/1/

I don't need gaming drivers and have not tested.  I continue to use v.416.81.

Thanks a lot. I will certainly try, especially because i also have a 144hz desktop for gaming. If it does work indeed, then it might so for a few versions until Nvidia Devs do that start breaking things for 3d in driver updates *sigh*. Petition would still be good.
  • 76(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39