• 15(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0)
(2015-07-23, 13:59)apoc [t.i.m.] Wrote: So don't set sdram_freq at all?

Correct, on the Pi2 leave it at the "stock" setting which can be trusted/guaranteed to work reliably.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Something like this okay? Add or remove anything?
Code:
gpu_mem=320
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
over_voltage=2
force_turbo=1
gpu_freq=333
avoid_pwm_pll=1

Also, I'm reading "OMXplayer works perfect now" and "DVDPlayer on... OMX off", so enable or disable OMXplayer? I do watch live TV (MPEG2, 720p and 1080i). I know I can try myself, but curious what the concensus (if there is one) is. Thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
@hdmk
Those setting look fine to me.

Official position is that omxplayer is best for Pi1 and dvdplayer (i.e. omxplayer disabled) is best for Pi2. (This is default if you don't change any settings).

omxplayer is more efficient (lower cpu)
dvdplayer is more standard and supports more features (alsa audio, dvd menus, ac3 transcode, software decode).

Now omxplayer should be disabled automatically when using unsupported features.

It is possible that Pi2 can benefit from omxplayer in some harder circumstances (60 fps video, either progressive, or interlaced with double rate output),
so it's worth trying if you are getting any frame drops.
I have some problems with about 10% of my dvds ( iso and video_ts folder ). With Openelec 5.0.x they played ok and
on my amazon fire tv with kodi 15 they play ok also.

They start playing about 5 seconds and then the video stops forever. I see then always the last displayed image.
The sounds stops also but comes back after filling the cache. Plays 5 seconds. stops. fill cache. play 5 secs. stop .....

heres a debug log with two dvds ( one iso, one video_ts ). the first was startet at a certain point in the middle of the video.
The second one from beginning with the dvd menu.

debug log from build 0722

edit: This is not a new bug to 0722. I started using milhouse builds with some 05xx version. Problem was already there.
milhouse / popcornmix - what would be your lowest overclock settings for a Pi 2 with 1080/50i H264 decode and MMAL Advanced deinterlace? What additional overclock settings for high bitrate 3D remuxed Blu-rays?
(2015-07-23, 17:13)noggin Wrote: milhouse / popcornmix - what would be your lowest overclock settings for a Pi 2 with 1080/50i H264 decode and MMAL Advanced deinterlace? What additional overclock settings for high bitrate 3D remuxed Blu-rays?

I image:
Code:
gpu_freq=300
force_turbo=1
would handle both those use cases.
Thanks popcornmix. I'm using those settings for 3D MVC MKV's as well (with gpu_freq=333) with zero drops or skips.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
core_freq and gpu_freq - is not it the same thing? So core of what?
(2015-07-23, 19:19)MONSTA Wrote: core_freq and gpu_freq - is not it the same thing? So core of what?

gpu_freq is a shorthand for specifying core_freq, v3d_freq, h264_freq and isp_freq.

So:
Code:
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=333

means
Code:
core_freq=500
v3d_freq=333
h264_freq=333
isp_freq=333

(an explicit setting like core_freq takes precedence over gpu_freq)
(2015-07-23, 19:33)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-07-23, 19:19)MONSTA Wrote: core_freq and gpu_freq - is not it the same thing? So core of what?

gpu_freq is a shorthand for specifying core_freq, v3d_freq, h264_freq and isp_freq.

So:
Code:
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=333

means
Code:
core_freq=500
v3d_freq=333
h264_freq=333
isp_freq=333

(an explicit setting like core_freq takes precedence over gpu_freq)
Thanx, but I didn't quite understood Smile. If i will set only core_freq, for example = 400, then what will be gpu_freq? I mean without writing this line in the config.
(2015-07-23, 20:15)MONSTA Wrote: Thanx, but I didn't quite understood Smile. If i will set only core_freq, for example = 400, then what will be gpu_freq? I mean without writing this line in the config.

There is no gpu_freq. There are 4 clocks on the gpu (core, v3d, h264 and isp) and gpu_freq sets all of them.
If you just specify core_freq=400 then the other 3 clocks will be default (250MHz).
Just tried #0721 with recommended overclock with a high bitrate H264 1080/50i sequence. OMX Player plays it pretty well - but still with dropped/skipped frames. Also seeking within it (either acceleration) seems a lot more finicky than previously (some skips will give you frozen video and audio only, and others moving video but no audio, but a further skip usually fixes it) - will try and revert to see which one introduced that?)

MMAL Player not delivering full 50p motion from 50i - looks almost 25p-like.

**EDIT :
Had a quick play with overclock settings and I'd say this appears to have improved the OMXPlayer deinterlacing
Code:
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=400
over_voltage=4
force_turbo=1

Still getting skipped/dropped frames - but fewer of them on camera moves that really show them up.
(2015-07-23, 20:19)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-07-23, 20:15)MONSTA Wrote: Thanx, but I didn't quite understood Smile. If i will set only core_freq, for example = 400, then what will be gpu_freq? I mean without writing this line in the config.

There is no gpu_freq. There are 4 clocks on the gpu (core, v3d, h264 and isp) and gpu_freq sets all of them.
If you just specify core_freq=400 then the other 3 clocks will be default (250MHz).

Ok. Now it's clear. Thank you.
With #0722 the splash video is not displayed and overall boot time is longer. After deleting .cache/splash.h264 boot time was normal again (to me anyway) and the splash video was downloaded again. Rebooting resulted in no splash video and longer boot imes. Anyone else seeing this?

Will upload debug log if asked for.

RPi2, 16 GB Sandisk microSD, wired connection, 2.7A/5.3V adapter.
It was listed as item 5 in the 0722 release, "Known issue: Splash video is not appearing (and delays appearance of Kodi GUI by about 20 seconds)"

I'm sure it will get straightened out in the next few builds.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0)10