• 28(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0)
(2015-08-03, 08:22)L-S-D Wrote: for me #0731 did not freeze in live tv nor crash anywhere else since I installed it. As other users have reported even not beeing able to boot with their old overclocking settings, it seems that current firmware is not as tolerant as before.

I am in that group. Can't boot while overclocked on one of my RPi2 units. The other RPi2 boots fine overclocked. Odd.
(2015-08-03, 16:08)J_E_F_F Wrote: I am in that group. Can't boot while overclocked on one of my RPi2 units. The other RPi2 boots fine overclocked. Odd.

Could you test latest firmware update? Download:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/...tart_x.elf
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/...ixup_x.dat

rename to start.elf and fixup.dat and replace ones on boot partition of your sdcard. See if that fixes the overclock related crash on boot.
(2015-08-03, 13:34)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-08-03, 01:31)J_E_F_F Wrote: Build #802

I have (2) Rpi2, one works the other fails to boot with overclock enabled. Works with overclock disabled.
Kernel Panic with overclock
Worked fine on ~#726

Too high an overclock causing random crashes isn't necessarily a software problem. If you can provide stronger evidence,
e.g. exact build that starts failing, and state that previous build booted and ran ten times in a row and failing build fails to boot ten times in a row,
then I can check if there was something in that build that may have caused it and we can see if others see a similar effect.

(2015-08-03, 16:04)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-08-03, 13:34)popcornmix Wrote: Too high an overclock causing random crashes isn't necessarily a software problem. If you can provide stronger evidence,
e.g. exact build that starts failing, and state that previous build booted and ran ten times in a row and failing build fails to boot ten times in a row,
then I can check if there was something in that build that may have caused it and we can see if others see a similar effect.

I've had a closer look at the last turbo mode change and have spotted something suspicious, so I've pushed a fix for that.
It is possible that could fix some overclock related crashes.

Will test with today's build to see if the problem is resolved, if it still crashes, I will go backwards to identify the last build that boots as expected.
(2015-08-03, 16:10)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-08-03, 16:08)J_E_F_F Wrote: I am in that group. Can't boot while overclocked on one of my RPi2 units. The other RPi2 boots fine overclocked. Odd.

rename to start.elf and fixup.dat and replace ones on boot partition of your sdcard. See if that fixes the overclock related crash on boot.

Sure, will test that now
With the latest build the image is frozen on RP2. I tried it with and without overclocking. Back to #0725.

I have these image freezing problems with all the newer builds.
(2015-07-31, 20:15)michidg Wrote: if you take again the file from last week. ( you need the test firmware )
use mmal advanced and Sync playback to display ( pll ). ( problem occurs also with bob and and without Sync playback to display, but not so often )

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8884...S_01_4.VOB

Start it, go to systeminfo ( video playing in background ), video will always stop after about 1,5 minutes ( but not the same second exactly )

Then stop after video hang. GUI will freeze, but not everytime.

I think this are two problems. The dvd problem provokes the gui freeze, but not always.

But i don't know if it is the same gui freeze, that is caused at the other people.

Edit: With bob it sometimes only stutters shortly, sometimes video stops.
With deinterlace disabled. no stutter, no hang.

Without overclock i have the same problem. GUI still sometimes freezes when the video hangs.

@popcornmix could you please try this case ? Its the last bug i personally have with test firmware and current versions.
This also happens sometimes on all other dvds, when navigating through menu and video playing in background, not only the 10% that need the test kernel !
Would be great to have a 100% working Version ;-)
(2015-08-03, 16:13)Kiralina Wrote: With the latest build the image is frozen on RP2. I tried it with and without overclocking. Back to #0725.

I have these image freezing problems with all the newer builds.

More details please. Was #0725 the first build with the problem?
Does it affect omxplayer/dvdplayer?
Does it occur with sync plackback to display on/off.
Does it apply to all files? What is container/codec of a problematic file?
debug log (wiki)?
(2015-08-03, 16:10)popcornmix Wrote:

Yes, the RPi2 booted as expected while overclocked, thank you Smile
(2015-08-03, 16:20)J_E_F_F Wrote: Yes, the RPi2 booted as expected while overclocked, thank you Smile

Great. That's one of the unexplained issues crossed off.
Playback problem of x265/HEVC is definitely subtitle related. With build #0802 and NO external subtitle file at all, it could play x265/HEVC flawlessly till end of the episode. I did test it with 3 x265/HEVC TV episodes, all over 40 minutes long. I haven't roll back and check which build is good and which is bad for x265/HEVC videos without any subtitles. I use mainly external subtitle files in .srt format, and in some cases in .ass format, all UTF-8 encoded character set. Some of the x265/HEVC videos caming with embedded subtitle in the mkv file.

I didn't overclock the RPi2 and had OMXPlayer turned off.

Hope the above could help. BTW, the new splash/logo is really cool!
(2015-08-03, 16:36)wchick132 Wrote: Playback problem of x265/HEVC is definitely subtitle related. With build #0802 and NO external subtitle file at all, it could play x265/HEVC flawlessly till end of the episode. I did test it with 3 x265/HEVC TV episodes, all over 40 minutes long. I haven't roll back and check which build is good and which is bad for x265/HEVC videos without any subtitles. I use mainly external subtitle files in .srt format, and in some cases in .ass format, all UTF-8 encoded character set. Some of the x265/HEVC videos caming with embedded subtitle in the mkv file.

What do you have gpu_mem set to? Does increasing it help?
(2015-08-03, 16:24)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-08-03, 16:20)J_E_F_F Wrote: Yes, the RPi2 booted as expected while overclocked, thank you Smile

Great. That's one of the unexplained issues crossed off.

Looks like I spoke too soon. It did not survive a 2nd, 3rd, 4th reboot. Hung each time just displaying the build number.
Disabling overclock booted/rebooted consistently.
(2015-08-03, 16:38)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-08-03, 16:36)wchick132 Wrote: Playback problem of x265/HEVC is definitely subtitle related. With build #0802 and NO external subtitle file at all, it could play x265/HEVC flawlessly till end of the episode. I did test it with 3 x265/HEVC TV episodes, all over 40 minutes long. I haven't roll back and check which build is good and which is bad for x265/HEVC videos without any subtitles. I use mainly external subtitle files in .srt format, and in some cases in .ass format, all UTF-8 encoded character set. Some of the x265/HEVC videos caming with embedded subtitle in the mkv file.

What do you have gpu_mem set to? Does increasing it help?

gpu_mem set to 256MB, What value should I use? Please note I didn't change my config file, I simply used the OpenELEC RPi Config add-on to change the setting.
(2015-08-03, 16:44)wchick132 Wrote: gpu_mem set to 256MB, What value should I use? Please note I didn't change my config file, I simply used the OpenELEC RPi Config add-on to change the setting.

Try 512 just to be sure. Unlikely to actually need that much, but if the problem still exists then we know it's not gpu_mem related.
Maybe it helps with what I have in my config running the latest built without problems:

arm_freq=1062
core_freq=590
over_voltage=4
gpu_mem=320
gpu_freq=400
hdmi_pixel_encoding=2
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
dtoverlay=sdhost,overclock_50=100

over_voltage_sdram_c=0
over_voltage_sdram_i=0
over_voltage_sdram_p=2
avoid_pwm_pll=1