Req alternative to prevent abuse of <requires> in addon.xml
well... for years it used to be ok for skins to depend on a handful or even a dozen addons...
that is, until kodi decided to change things and disallow users to uninstall those addons.
and now, all of a sudden, skinners are to blame for 'abusing' stuff??
sorry, but that's the world upside down.

personally i believe it's important that skins can provide an out-of-the-box experience with all the bells and whistles included.
i'm not interested to provide a skin that comes with a manual, explaining users what addons they need to install to get the best out of the skin.

the proposed 'requires tag' to install optional addons seems like a perfect idea to me.
but until that is implemented, i'm not going to 'enforce' anything on anybody.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
@ronie - Sorry "abusing" is probably a bit of a loaded term - I was simply using it as meaning "improper use or misuse" which with the changes to requires is what skins do now unfortunately. But +1 to what you've said because it pretty much the position I'm coming from.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
sure but this is plain stupid and complete insane.
PHP Code:
<requires>
    <
import addon="xbmc.gui" version="5.3.0"/>
    <
import addon="script.aeonmq5.extrapack" version="1.1.0"/>
    <
import addon="script.favourites" version="6.0.1"/>
    <
import addon="script.artwork.downloader" version="12.0.29"/>
    <
import addon="script.randomandlastitems" version="2.2.2"/>
    <
import addon="script.games.rom.collection.browser" version="2.0.17"/>
    <
import addon="script.artistslideshow" version="1.8.2"/>
    <
import addon="script.tv.show.next.aired" version="6.0.13"/>
    <
import addon="service.skin.widgets" version="0.0.29"/>
    <
import addon="service.library.data.provider" version="0.0.4"/>
    <
import addon="script.cu.lrclyrics" version="3.0.6"/>
    <
import addon="script.toolbox" version="1.0.1"/>
    <
import addon="script.globalsearch" version="3.0.4"/>
    <
import addon="script.cinema.experience" version="4.0.10"/>
    <
import addon="script.extendedinfo" version="2.0.3" />
    </
requires

There is not way in hell this is acceptable.
This is without a doubt pure abuse!!
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
For me the main thing is that everything should turn back to "default" once you switch skin back to confluence. There shouldnt be any additional service add-on running in that case, because most of the time the user probably doesnt even know about the fact that he installed it at all when trying out other skins.
In general I´m also not a fan of "disallowing" stuff, but some of the add-ons from Martijn´s list are definitely not neccessary (I would say 3 or 4, if the rest is needed for all the bling bling then I would be fine with it. But script.games.rom.collection.browser as a dependency for example does not really make any sense to me.)
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Installing rom browser as a dependency is definitely OTT. However, like you said Phil the main problem is service addons that auto run like Nextup, Lyrics or TV tunes. These are things that I think have a place being auto installed (bling bling) but users should also be able to disable them without having to uninstall skins to do so.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
I use this in Titan, works as a charm:

PHP Code:
<control type="radiobutton" id="8014">
    <
label>Enable Next Aired</label>
    <
onclick condition="System.HasAddon(script.tv.show.next.aired)">Skin.ToggleSetting(EnableNextAiredNotifications)</onclick>
    <
onclick condition="!System.HasAddon(script.tv.show.next.aired)">RunPlugin(plugin://script.tv.show.next.aired)</onclick>

<selected>Skin.HasSetting(EnableNextAiredNotifications)</selected>
</
control

Basically it tries to run the addon (while it isn't installed). This triggers the popup from Kodi if the addon should be installed.
In my skin requires I only have the skinhelper script.

Maybe this is an idea to minimize the number of required addons in skins ?
Nice. Wink
Very nice, reading back over the thread it was me that refused to remove the next up addon from my mod. The way I see it is that users will not know it exists if it is not auto installed. I added an option to the addon to disable it for users who prefer not to use it (same as tvtunes) You cannot expect the average user to know that this addon exists so I will continue with that format. The real issue is Kodi does not allow it to be disabled/uninstalled which is frustrating.
(2015-09-28, 18:17)im85288 Wrote: Very nice, reading back over the thread it was me that refused to remove the next up addon from my mod. The way I see it is that users will not know it exists if it is not auto installed. I added an option to the addon to disable it for users who prefer not to use it (same as tvtunes) You cannot expect the average user to know that this addon exists so I will continue with that format. The real issue is Kodi does not allow it to be disabled/uninstalled which is frustrating.

Well even though you could disable it it's quite an adventure for the user to go find the add-on that is causing a certain behaviour. I personally wouldn't want a bunch of add-on being installed even though i could disable them.

Take "Next Up". Say you install this by default, how will the user know what he needs to disable to get rid of that behaviour?
Same could be said for TV Tunes or whatever add-on. Sometimes the name of the add-on is not to clear on what it does.

I'm not saying we shouldn't allow disabling of "default" dependencies but even allowing them brings problems. Next one is what is skin critical and which one is not? I would call skin shortcuts critical but script.language not. It's a point of view you take. Some might find the weather addon absolutely critical or subtitles.
It's a difficult item to get right.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
It is a subject open to interpretation, the amount of times personally that I have had to instruct users to install such and such an addon to use such and such a function has swayed me into thinking to give them as much as possible at first and then answer queries of how to turn off/disable etc.

It can sometimes be like searching for a needle in a haystack attempting to find a particular addon due to how they are named, what section they are grouped under etc. A recent example is the image resource select addon..I've searched for hours in the addons where to find it but failed so installed from git where it is now receiving updates correctly.

Agreed though that it's not something simple to get right that suits everyone.
Hi I have a REALLY big request to Skin Dev... Please for the love of everything stop forcing me to have Specific Addons with your skin. I know I'm probably the only one that feels this way but I have having to uninstall Addons that I dont use every time your skin gets updated. The addons that I always uninstall are Global Search; although it is a ok feature I dont use it or need it so I always uninstall it. Another one is Youtube DL Control again I dont use it or need it. I have addons that do that on my web browsers and even programs (IDM) that I can use to DL the one video or a bunch of videos at once. TV Show Next Air is just another that is useful but not needed especially when you can get the same info and more from over 1,000's of different websites. These are just a few addons that are also installed/reinstalled when you want skins for Kodi. So I only ask please dont force me to have to need addons that I dont even use every time I install or update a skin for Kodi.
this has been discussed recently in the skin dev forum.
i'll move your post there, so you can read up a bit on the thoughts and ideas given so far.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Open a dialog with checkboxes based on requires prior to install and remember choices.
(2015-11-08, 04:53)badaas Wrote: Open a dialog with checkboxes based on requires prior to install and remember choices.

1+

I'm having issues with this all the time.
I use extendedinfo as required addon in my skin, because I'm using the autocomplete feature. (and of course all the extendedinfo features)
But for FireTV\some other android boxes, that addon cannot be installed there, and I need to manually remove that dependency in order to let them use my skin.
Phenomenal™ Skin • ForumWebsiteGitHub
You can use a simple script to check and install addons if the user confirm.

For those who interest you may try HTPT SYSTEM and get the idea.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
alternative to prevent abuse of <requires> in addon.xml0