• 21(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
What is the reason for using OpenBox? Or any WM for that matter? I have Kodi running without a WM and it runs fine. But I plan on following this guide and also use OpenBox. However I'm wondering if you had any reason for this?
@JacoH:
Reason: Some people want to start a browser, need to switch to a terminal or something else ... Also the additional xrandr command comes in handy in the openbox autostart script.

@sunnyfunny:
No.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-08-16, 10:32)fritsch Wrote: I had a Celeron 1820T based setup in my living room before I got a passively cooled ZBOX CI520 nano. It will be fine with this howto.

Btw. HEVC is taking shape at the moment. Fernetmenta has started development https://github.com/FernetMenta/FFmpeg/co...e/2.7-kodi and Timo (btbn) has continued to work on those patches, here: https://github.com/BtbN/FFmpeg/commits/vaapi_hevc

Kodi's part was not hard at all (though testing did not yet happen): https://github.com/fritsch/xbmc/commit/a...4146813f14

Seems with this next gen codec VAAPI will go into a nice future, at least HEVC wise.

Thanks fritsch! Nice to hear that a Haswell Celeron can perform so nice too!

Regarding HEVC: this means that HEVC support for Braswell is WIP.
Is the Braswell able to do the h265 10bit and/or 60fps or just 30fps? I read that for h265 support 10bit is required. What I mean by this is that the 10bit profile which is not important on h264, will be the standard for h265 and will be most probably used for scene h265 releases? And also hdmi 1.4 doesn't support h265@60? Do I get these things correctly?
Quote:Regarding HEVC: this means that HEVC support for Braswell is WIP.
Is the Braswell able to do the h265 10bit and/or 60fps or just 30fps? I read that for h265 support 10bit is required. What I mean by this is that the 10bit profile which is not important on h264, will be the standard for h265 and will be most probably used for scene h265 releases? And also hdmi 1.4 doesn't support h265@60? Do I get these things correctly?

No and no and no. All wrong.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-08-17, 14:56)fritsch Wrote:
Quote:Regarding HEVC: this means that HEVC support for Braswell is WIP.

No and no and no. All wrong.

Sorry, I was sceptic regarding this information myself, that is why I asked you, as I know you will know the correct answer for sure.

Once you have a little time, could you explain what is expected from Braswell and in respect of HEVC? If I'm wrong, then 10bit is not important for h265, and scene will not do 10bit releases, so Braswell will be good as a long time solution considering h265 too... And 30 vs 60 would matter only in case of livetv?
We don't know - how should we know?

10bit won't happen - you can see that in every "data sheet" out there. And the rest is not yet done - e.g. the decoder still fails and everything you get is an empty picture ... we are talking about HEVC_MAIN not anything 10 bit. I personally hope that at least 4k@30p is working. So it is obviously clear that one will need again new hw, when the new livetv 4k@50p HEVC will be the default (~2 years?). HDMI 1.4 limitations are also known ... So whenever I talk about this I talk about rendering at 1080p@something.
(2015-08-17, 15:04)fritsch Wrote: We don't know - how should we know?

10bit won't happen - you can see that in every "data sheet" out there. And the rest is not yet done - e.g. the decoder still fails and everything you get is an empty picture ... we are talking about HEVC_MAIN not anything 10 bit. I personally hope that at least 4k@30p is working. So it is obviously clear that one will need again new hw, when the new livetv 4k@50p HEVC will be the default (~2 years?). HDMI 1.4 limitations are also known ... So whenever I talk about this I talk about rendering at 1080p@something.

Thanks fritsch, this clears things up. Looking forward to test the progress on hevc support, keep up with good work!
Update was a succes. One problem though: my favority skin is not working right (Xperience1080). I suppose the skin has to be updated for Kodi 16?
(2015-08-17, 18:13)JaccoH Wrote: Update was a succes. One problem though: my favority skin is not working right (Xperience1080). I suppose the skin has to be updated for Kodi 16?

No idea. All that use those testbuilds should use confluence.
ok

The BBC UHD test broadcasts were 2160/50p and 2160/59.94p at around 36Mbs and used 4:2:0 8 bit YCrCb format. I've not come across any 10 bit HEVC 50p/59.94p stuff yet - though I know that higher bit-depth is on the agenda for broadcasters, with or without HDR.

Some interesting speed increases on "10 bit video in 8 bit memory" techniques discussed here : http://www.obe.tv/about-us/obe-blog/item...onversions (Though not relevant to VAAPI 8/10 bit discussions I guess)
first of all...I´m coming to this thread after reading pages and pages of the "old" thread concerning VAAPI and de-interlacing.(fritsch started it)...

Now, after reading this thread (carefully) I´m coming to the following conclusion...and hope that someone (maybe fritsch :-)) can give Feedback to what I understood so far :-) :

There is a OPENELEC Image (available here in the thread) which is implementing a new "technique" which leads to the following "new" results in connection with "de-interlacing" and "colour space (RGB and so on)"

- on !Haswell! based systems (also celeron or less powerfull :-) de-interlacing of eg. TV channels 1080I is no problem including LOW CPU usage (done by GPU based on EGL-technique ?) !!
- on Braswell it is the same like above ...on Haswell

- IVB, baytrail and compatible means that de-interlacing is also possible BETTER THAN "BOB" with the technique which is diskussed here in this thread ?? the "old" thread does state that there is no better de-interlacing based on VAAPI than BOB for this CPU class (IVB, Baytrail...)

- If testing is successfull it will be included in KODI , Release 16...?

I´m a little bit confused...hope that these question are not to stupid ;-)

regards arel
Quote:- IVB, baytrail and compatible means that de-interlacing is also possible BETTER THAN "BOB" with the technique which is diskussed here in this thread ?? the "old" thread does state that there is no better de-interlacing based on VAAPI than BOB for this CPU class (IVB, Baytrail...)
This was fixed / workarounded / improved in the libva-intel-driver version 1.6.0 which this howto installs.

Quote:- If testing is successfull it will be included in KODI , Release 16...?
We don't know yet - but we are looking forward.

The rest you understood perfectly fine.
(2015-08-17, 23:41)noggin Wrote:

The BBC UHD test broadcasts were 2160/50p and 2160/59.94p at around 36Mbs and used 4:2:0 8 bit YCrCb format. I've not come across any 10 bit HEVC 50p/59.94p stuff yet - though I know that higher bit-depth is on the agenda for broadcasters, with or without HDR.

There are some 10 bit out there the Samsung one I've seen playing on a TV in a shop window locally. Maybe TVs are going to beat GPU/APUs for a while if they can only do 8. I guess the web streamers will just use 8 depending on the patent greed situation, perhaps x264 will be around for some time.

http://demo-uhd3d.com/files/uhd4k/Samsun...d_Total.ts
http://demo-uhd3d.com/files/uhd4k/Astra....mo.HEVC.ts

10 bit

I notice some Japanese samples also say rec.2020 which is a bit confusing as one I found has colour bars at the start that decode apparently correctly with a 709 matrix, but not a 2020 one.

This one also says 2020 (but doesn't have bars)

http://www.demo-uhd3d.com/files/uhd4k/Channel_4K.ts

These are big! But as they are .ts you don't need to d/l all of then to get a working sample.
Some gpus (as nvidia GTX 960 2nd gen) have some internal circuits to "alter the 10 bit to 8 bit" and then decode it as 8 bit. So we need to be careful in the future if someone really tells: 10 bit decoding :-)
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18