• 6(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
Thank you for such an in-depth reply! Yes, this does seem to be an impressive device ... and that's why I've been researching it, especially here on the Kodi forum. For, you see, I use my android TV box only for Kodi. I respect that the WeTek Core is superior for all those other apps, but I don't care about that.

The ease of OpenELEC might be relevant for me, but it begs another question: What is the advantage of OpenELEC over simply Kodi? And are there any potential disadvantages?

[FYI: According to two different reviews I've read, the Core is not 802.11ac. Since an Ethernet connection is impractical in my situation, that is a critical feature for me.]

Thanks again!
Broadcom AP6330 not working to WiFi 802.11ac, no like Sad
Regarding connectivity on WeTek Core:

WiFi is based on AP6330 - 802.11 B/G/N 2.4 & 5 GHz

Ethernet is Realtek Gigabit chip

Bluetooth is 4.0
Just go wired... no hassle streaming of anything.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2015-10-17, 18:42)hdmkv Wrote: Just go wired... no hassle streaming of anything.

Yeah, I know. But my Ethernet connection (using powerline adapters) stopped working. I can't figure out why. My 802.11ac WiFi is just fine and quite sufficient for my needs (although my previous 802.11n was not).
If the WeTeK Core is designed similar to the Minix X8-H Plus, you are not going to see much benefit of having 802.11ac. There is a limitation on the SDIO channel clock. It limits the max. throughput of Wi-Fi to 87Mbps. This has been extensively discussed on Minix forum.
@wesk05

That's right, you gave good example with WiFi over SDIO, and for example, in existing AMLogic SoC's line-up there is no USB 3.0 or SATA implementations, so only way to connect WiFi so far was over SDIO or USB, depending on what kind of chipset for WiFi/Bluetooth company is using, but as you already explained it have limited data transfer internally to and over SoC.

Even S905 is with USB 2.0 and no SATA, so any implementation like mSATA (USB to mSATA) or similar is limited to speed of 480 mbps / 60 MBps in ideal circumstances, but for current needs it should be sufficient in most cases.
(2015-10-17, 19:03)Don Grimme Wrote:
(2015-10-17, 18:42)hdmkv Wrote: Just go wired... no hassle streaming of anything.
Yeah, I know. But my Ethernet connection (using powerline adapters) stopped working. I can't figure out why. My 802.11ac WiFi is just fine and quite sufficient for my needs (although my previous 802.11n was not).
I think even before you even look at any media players you really need to address your WiFi problems in your house first. Can you not get a range extender to expand your WiFi network ?
Those powerline adapters are hopeless in my house, and a dual band range extender fixed all my issues. Smile

Hi, this is my first post here after reading a fair bit. I've been using kodi on my TV through my phone using Chrome cast which work ok but it's all a bit clunky. I decided I wanted something with a remote so went for a firestick but the playback on that is terrible on everything I've tried ie Netflix/bbci player/streaming movies. So, I'm looking at something else, I was looking at the fire TV but that doesn't seem to be getting the greatest reviews. This though looks just the ticket, does anyone know a price point on this box and where it would be available from in the UK? Thanks.
(2015-10-18, 15:48)Milster Wrote: Hi, this is my first post here after reading a fair bit. I've been using kodi on my TV through my phone using Chrome cast which work ok but it's all a bit clunky. I decided I wanted something with a remote so went for a firestick but the playback on that is terrible on everything I've tried ie Netflix/bbci player/streaming movies. So, I'm looking at something else, I was looking at the fire TV but that doesn't seem to be getting the greatest reviews. This though looks just the ticket, does anyone know a price point on this box and where it would be available from in the UK? Thanks.

Why is your fire stick terrible? If you are using wifi do you have a poor signal? I've read Kodi has issues on fire stick atm, but Netflix and I player should work fine.

The wetek core looks a great device, but if you don't know the cause of your problems with the fire stick you may have the same issues with the Core.
(2015-10-18, 22:43)tredman Wrote: Why is your fire stick terrible? If you are using wifi do you have a poor signal? I've read Kodi has issues on fire stick atm, but Netflix and I player should work fine.

The wetek core looks a great device, but if you don't know the cause of your problems with the fire stick you may have the same issues with the Core.

The picture stutters and stumbles on practically everything I throw at it. I am using wifi but thats fine, like I say, I have no problems streaming with chromecast (or anything else for that matter ie phones/tablet etc) although I am getting an broadband upgrade and new router tomorrow so I'll see if that has any effect. I've followed a few guide to try to solve the problem but nothing seems to have worked yet.
Hi,
I have what I believe to be a very specific requirement.
On my living room the antenna cable connector on the opposite side of my TV. Today I have a Raspberry PI connected to a play TV (PS3 USB video card) distributing the open DVB-T channels on my home network using powerline adaptors and TVHeadend. This small server is unbelievably stable, it has been running more than a year under my couch without a glitch.
On my TV I have another Raspberry PI (Model 2) with KODI on linux and a Harmony remote control with FLIRC. The setup works quite ok, some freezes here and there.
Now to the point, my wife wants everything from one remote control, by everything I mean mostly open channels (DVB-T standard definition mpeg2 streams from the TVHeadend), netflix and HBO Nordic. Today Netflix and HBO come from a chromecast and my phone Smile
Is there a way for you to check hoe well the DVB-T streams would work on this hardware? On the PI is looks quite good on a 1080 TV with the MPEG2 license and hardware decoding. Channels change quite fast, EPG works.
Another wife's requirement would be recording open channels but that I think might be more of me setting it up that WeTek hardware related right?

Looking forward as this new box might be the final answer for me.
Review in Spanish by AndroidPC:

http://androidpc.es/blog/2015/10/19/review-wetek-core/

Review in English by CNX-Software:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/10/19/r...dia-player
@ pedrocalima,

I have a very similar setup:

Roof Antenna > PlayTV > C1+ (+ HDD) = TvHeadend Server > mpeg2 DVB-T > WeTek Core

All the S8xx series of AMLogic SoC's produce excellent Hardware deinterlacing for watching TV.
To achieve the same deinterlacing results on the RPi2 you have to run a development version of Kodi Jarvis and Overlock.
The trouble is this kills anything else you may want to do on the RPi2 at the same time as It runs out of grunt and slows down.

You will get great TV viewing results both in Android Kodi 15.2rc and OpenELEC using the TvHeadend client, no slowdowns either due to the Hardware deinterlacer on the WeTek Core.

I believe the nVIDIA Shield is using Bob deinterlacing, or blurry Bob as we call it. It nowhere near as good if that is the case. It may improve. I don't know.
Unsure as well about recording IPTV channels or Open Channels if thats what you mean.
These could possibly be setup to record using the TvHeadend server on the RPi2 if you attach a HDD. I record Broadcast TV with the TvHeadend server on the C1+

The cool thing when using Android Kodi, is you can set up Android Apps like Netflix, HBO Go etc as favourites inside Kodi Itself. And then selected say Netflix. Watch your stuff. Hit the Back button on the remote control and your back in Kodi if you want to watch TV or do anything else. It all works quickly and seamlessly for App < > Kodi switching and is a joy to use all on the one device with a single remote control. FLIRC and my Harmony remote also work straight out of the box.

Looks like we have pretty much the same requirements. Smile

(2015-10-19, 11:58)wrxtasy Wrote: @ pedrocalima,

I have a very similar setup:

Roof Antenna > PlayTV > C1+ (+ HDD) = TvHeadend Server > mpeg2 DVB-T > WeTek Core

All the S8xx series of AMLogic SoC's produce excellent Hardware deinterlacing for watching TV.
To achieve the same deinterlacing results on the RPi2 you have to run a development version of Kodi Jarvis and Overlock.
The trouble is this kills anything else you may want to do on the RPi2 at the same time as It runs out of grunt and slows down.

You will get great TV viewing results both in Android Kodi 15.2rc and OpenELEC using the TvHeadend client, no slowdowns either due to the Hardware deinterlacer on the WeTek Core.

I believe the nVIDIA Shield is using Bob deinterlacing, or blurry Bob as we call it. It nowhere near as good if that is the case. It may improve. I don't know.
Unsure as well about recording IPTV channels or Open Channels if thats what you mean.
These could possibly be setup to record using the TvHeadend server on the RPi2 if you attach a HDD. I record Broadcast TV with the TvHeadend server on the C1+

The cool thing when using Android Kodi, is you can set up Android Apps like Netflix, HBO Go etc as favourites inside Kodi Itself. And then selected say Netflix. Watch your stuff. Hit the Back button on the remote control and your back in Kodi if you want to watch TV or do anything else. It all works quickly and seamlessly for App < > Kodi switching and is a joy to use all on the one device with a single remote control. FLIRC and my Harmony remote also work straight out of the box.

Looks like we have pretty much the same requirements. Smile
what Did you choose in Harmony setup? Flirc Kodi? Média center PC? With Flirc kodi the back button doesnt work in android also fast forward and rewind and power button...
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4