• 16(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
That would be great!!! Please, get time Blush
This forum is fantastic!
(2015-11-18, 12:05)Milkado Wrote: So, if I understand, Wetek Core has Frame Rate Automation Kernel implemented but Wetek Play doesn't. Isn't it?

Because that kernel has been supported only for S8XX based devices.

Regarding the EDID and sync through ARC I have no problems with an Onkyo TX-SR508, I mean I have the exact same problem that I have with my HTPC and its nVidia card, where if you start Xorg with the TV turned off (even with HDMI pass-through enabled for the HDMI input where the htpc is connected) I get no output because of a null EDID.

Nvidia X11 driver support providing the EDID .bin file through an entry in a .conf file so I can work it around, on the Core I just have to make sure to turn on the device after the TV, but only if it's a fresh boot with AC power unplugged. Once started when you put it into standby it's like a pc S3 state (suspend to ram), and the EDID will persist.
(2015-11-18, 14:32)ChristianTroy Wrote:
(2015-11-18, 12:05)Milkado Wrote: So, if I understand, Wetek Core has Frame Rate Automation Kernel implemented but Wetek Play doesn't. Isn't it?

Because that kernel has been supported only for S8XX based devices.

Regarding the EDID and sync through ARC I have no problems with an Onkyo TX-SR508, I mean I have the exact same problem that I have with my HTPC and its nVidia card, where if you start Xorg with the TV turned off (even with HDMI pass-through enabled for the HDMI input where the htpc is connected) I get no output because of a null EDID.

Nvidia X11 driver support providing the EDID .bin file through an entry in a .conf file so I can work it around, on the Core I just have to make sure to turn on the device after the TV, but only if it's a fresh boot with AC power unplugged. Once started when you put it into standby it's like a pc S3 state (suspend to ram), and the EDID will persist.

For nvidia there is an xorg.conf option called "CustomEdid" that you can use to fix that issue.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Exactly the option I use, without that I have the same symptoms that gives me a "cold boot" of the Core with the TV turned off.
You can dump easily dump the edid using nvidia-settings gui tool.
Yeah. Similar stuff exists for radeon and intel on linux with the drm_kms_helper and recent kernels.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
wrxtasy Wrote:Excellent high quality Hardware deinterlacing for Live and recorded TV streams.

I think you also have the Nvidia Shield TV, is the deinterlacing as good as the one in the Core?. I have doubts between the Shield and the Core Huh
No I do not have a Shield, as broadcast TV viewing with fast motion sport, like Aussie Rules Football is important to me.

Basic CPU software deinterlacing is called Bob aka Blurry Bob - it produces a soft unfocused look to Interlaced TV particularly during camera panning of SD content. This is found on Android platforms who's VPU do not, or have no support for Hardware deinterlacing such as devices like the nVIDIA Shield and FireTV's. Very likely, the Nexus and ATV's as well. (confirmation needed)

Next you have the RPi2 that now in Kodi Jarvis uses MMAL Advanced Deinterlacing called Yadifx2. It visually superior, you end up with crisper video and nice edging. The RPi team have done a wonderful job developing this. Popcornmix will know more, but I believe it utilises the GPU to some extent and steals some processing cycles from it. If you pull up the TV EPG whilst this type of deinterlacing is occurring in the background, the Kodi GUI slows down significantly.

AMLogic have Hardware deinterlacing built into their Chips coming out of the VPU (Visual Processing Unit) part of the SoC. The S805, such as that found in the ODROID C1+ has Advanced Motion Adaptive Edge Enhancing deinterlacing. The quality is very similar to that of the RPI2, with more distinct edging due to the video processing that occurs. I like it as it does not slow down Kodi when you do other tasks in the Kodi GUI. Some like Noggin don't like the Edge processed and sharpened look. Its all a personal preference.

The AMLogic S812-H in the Core seems better than the RPi2 or the S805. Deinterlaced video is not overly processed or sharpened and the quality is even better than both of them. It really is good and would rival the following group. AMLogic put SoC's into TV set top boxes I believe, so they know what they are doing.

The top quality deinterlacers for Kodi platforms come from modern Intel Microarchitecture with either inbuilt GPU/VPU's or graphics cards from AMD or nVIDIA. You get names like Motion Adaptive and Motion Compensating deinterlacing, Temporal x2 and Advanced x2. Noggin and the Kodi devs. will know more about about these.

As with any media device choice, you pick the features most important to you, find any known limitations and pick your target. Smile

Thanks for the detailed answer.

(2015-11-18, 19:18)wrxtasy Wrote: AMLogic have Hardware deinterlacing built into their Chips coming out of the VPU (Visual Processing Unit) part of the SoC. The S805, such as that found in the ODROID C1+ has Advanced Motion Adaptive Edge Enhancing deinterlacing. The quality is very similar to that of the RPI2, with more distinct edging due to the video processing that occurs. I like it as it does not slow down Kodi when you do other tasks in the Kodi GUI. Some like Noggin don't like the Edge processed and sharpened look. Its all a personal preference.

One last question, does Kodi for Android use this advanced deinterlacer or only bob?. I'm used to the (fantastic) deinterlacer for the raspi and dxva2 on W7 and I couldn't go back to a software one.
As its part of the VPU, it does not matter what OS you are running you will still get quality Hardware deinterlacing when playing video.

Just to go back a little bit. Were you saying earlier that if you have a certain type of hdmi cable then smooth 23.976 is not going to function properly on the wetek? Thanks very much.
Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated.
Audiohead for sure - just wish the add-on board for the C+ would have multi-channel output to by-pass the AVR all together for music (normally play around with alsa on misc debian/raspian based systems and now am trying to relearn the kodi way).

Speaking of audio, can the wetek core output audio via USB based DACs? What about lossless multichannel FLAC either on the C1+ or the core?
(2015-11-19, 01:54)Gmjh Wrote: Just to go back a little bit. Were you saying earlier that if you have a certain type of hdmi cable then smooth 23.976 is not going to function properly on the wetek? Thanks very much.
No, not on the WeTek Core as it comes with its own HDMI cable. There are no issues at all.
The 23.976fps problem on the WeTek Play are unrelated to the HDMI cable. Its the Linux Kernel the Play is using that is causing issues.

On the C1+, some people have found 23.976fps problems due to using a HDMI cable that has an ARC or Ethernet channel in it. Use a normal HDMI cable and everything is fine.

No Multichannel Audio out of any AMLogic products at the moment. Its all 2.0 channels of lossy compressed Audio that is decompressed at an AVR to give you 5.1 Audio.
The DAC for the C1+ is 2.0 channels of up to 32bit / 384kHz Audio.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/...3729448865

I'm still thinking if including an image picker or not because it might create too much confusion and go against the whole idea I had of doing a very material design launcher.
personally think settings should be smaller than actual apps
If you look them at a real tv you will realize it's proportionate, screenshots are confusing in this case Wink
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4