• 18(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
Shield doesn't come from China (or so i think) and it's ready now.... and with Black friday offers lurking in, closing the price gap, Wetek is really missing the boat right now (at least commercially).
Shield it's out since 6 months, maybe they were waiting for a certification too and could have been released 7 months ago.

Look, I'm the first that is a bit pissed about the situation since I worked like a beast on the new apps to have them ready for day one Wink But it's nothing that we can do, we can only wait.
(2015-11-26, 15:59)ChristianTroy Wrote: I think that you might best luck with HD audio using MX player so Amlogic libs are being used, such libs are too high level for Kodi according to the last speech I had with koying.
So just to make it clear here CT...
a) With all the Dolby / DTS Licences in place, will the App MX Player be able to do 7.1 HD Audio passthrough on the Core ?
b) Or is it just going to be able to do Multichannel PCM output using MX Player ?
c) Or the Core still going to be limited to 2.0 PCM Audio output ?

(2015-11-26, 13:25)txemix Wrote: 2. To confirm HD audio support capabilities: is there's a way to output all HD audio formats as PCM 5.1? Answer #247 above says yes, but, does this mean, for example, that Dolby True HD 7.1 will output DD 5.1 or PCM 5.1 (using HDMI)? Or else only 2.0 will be output?

Unless Amlogic has changed something specifically for the WeTeK Core, S812-H SoC doesn't natively support 7.1 passthrough or multichannel LPCM. It only outputs 2.0 PCM or lossy 5.1 audio.
I will run some tests tomorrow with hdmi passthrough on a 7.1 avr but my soc is S812 not -H in fact on mine the pcm decoding doesn't work so you should take them with a pinch of salt because on the final product might be different.
(2015-11-26, 18:37)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-11-26, 13:25)txemix Wrote: 2. To confirm HD audio support capabilities: is there's a way to output all HD audio formats as PCM 5.1? Answer #247 above says yes, but, does this mean, for example, that Dolby True HD 7.1 will output DD 5.1 or PCM 5.1 (using HDMI)? Or else only 2.0 will be output?

Unless Amlogic has changed something specifically for the WeTeK Core, S812-H SoC doesn't natively support 7.1 passthrough or multichannel LPCM. It only outputs 2.0 PCM or lossy 5.1 audio.
For me having 5.1 would be enough, but 2.0 is another story (losing multichannel with a 5.1 speaker setup). Your 2.0 "or" 5.1 means it is a user option?
Tests with Amlogic's player:

DD+ 7.1 -> DD+ 7.1
TrueHD 5.1 -> no audio / video stops playing after a couple of seconds
TrueHD 7.1 -> no audio / video stops playing after a couple of seconds
Atmos 7.1 -> Just an endless beep (but I don't think my avr supports atmos)

DTSHD-MA 5.1 -> DTS 5.1
DTSHD-MA 7.1 -> DTS 5.1

----

Tests with Kodi:

DD+ 7.1 -> kernel panic
TrueHD 5.1 -> kernel panic
TrueHD 7.1 -> MCH PCM 7.1*
Atmos 7.1 -> MCH PCM 7.1*

DTSHD-MA 5.1 -> DTS 5.1
DTSHD-MA 7.1 -> DTS 5.1

*: sometimes the audio was muted, switching to a 5.1 track and then back to the 7.1 made it hearable

I don't know if on the -H the truehd might behave differently.
(2015-11-26, 21:31)ChristianTroy Wrote: Tests with Amlogic's player:
DD+ 7.1 -> DD+ 7.1
Tests with Kodi:
TrueHD 7.1 -> MCH PCM 7.1*
Atmos 7.1 -> MCH PCM 7.1*
This is interesting. I have been told by Minix/Amlogic that the SoC doesn't support more than 6 channel PCM (only 3 stereo I2S channels) and they cannot enable multichannel LPCM due to Dolby licensing restrictions. Even on OpenELEC it doesn't do anything more than 2.0 PCM.

Since you are getting 8 channel LPCM from Dolby TrueHD tracks, if you install Kodi 16 beta, you should get the same from DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 tracks also.
(2015-11-26, 15:59)ChristianTroy Wrote: Video showing the new launcher and instructions on how to use it at its full potential

@onesolo
it's at least 4x faster than the Play, it's another league, totally.

@txremix
I will inform about 1. and, about 2, I think that you might best luck with HD audio using MX player so Amlogic libs are being used, such libs are too high level for Kodi according to the last speech I had with koying.
Stock firmware or a modded one? Also are you using only the remote or one with air mouse enabled? The reason I ask is because I only use Harmony remote and on wetek play I can't browse netflix app without a mouse. Thank you and great work
Is the background colour of the app drawer customizable?

How many apps can be displayed on the home screen?

Can apps be hidden from the app drawer?

Can custom backgrounds be used instead of solid colours?

Is the mouse required for any functions within the launcher?

Still hoping we get a release date and price soon. I'm still debating between this and the shield.
(2015-11-26, 22:38)wesk05 Wrote: This is interesting. I have been told by Minix/Amlogic that the SoC doesn't support more than 6 channel PCM (only 3 stereo I2S channels) and they cannot enable multichannel LPCM due to Dolby licensing restrictions. Even on OpenELEC it doesn't do anything more than 2.0 PCM.

Since you are getting 8 channel LPCM from Dolby TrueHD tracks, if you install Kodi 16 beta, you should get the same from DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 tracks also.

I will give it a try, honestly I was surprised as well

(2015-11-27, 00:04)francovilar Wrote: Stock firmware or a modded one? Also are you using only the remote or one with air mouse enabled? The reason I ask is because I only use Harmony remote and on wetek play I can't browse netflix app without a mouse. Thank you and great work

Stock, I had no time to work on a 5.1 (I only have 5.0) CM or other for it but I really don't feel the need because apart from Theme Engine you would get nothing more. I'm proud of what I did for the Core that is working great, I never experienced a FC or an ANR caused by the framework, just sometimes because of bad apps.
I am only using a remote and a Logitech K400 for text input, you will need an airmouse for Netflix because the one you see there is the Android TV one but I can't "release" it for many reasons, unless you guys collect some money and put a fund for an eventual lawsuit from them Tongue (I had to reverse engineer the decompiled apk, I did it only for my "internal use")

(2015-11-27, 00:28)MicMac Wrote: Is the background colour of the app drawer customizable?
No, and will never be because I don't even like the idea

How many apps can be displayed on the home screen?
favourite apps? Infinite

Can apps be hidden from the app drawer?
That is a nice idea, I will add it to the TODO list

Can custom backgrounds be used instead of solid colours?
Honestly I don't even like the idea because this launcher was born for being Material Design based, using MD palette, etc. IF quite some people ask for it I will bend and add it but like for the color of the drawer I don't even like the idea.
Who is skilled can edit (once decompiled the apk) the layout xml file of both and add a custom background though... Wink

Is the mouse required for any functions within the launcher?
No, you can forget about it. It was born with the idea of improving Android TV launcher that is nice but can't do much, the very first thing I wanted to add was notifications because, right now, any TV box offers an easy way to read/dismiss notifications (it's awkward expanding the status bar and selecting a notification using the airmouse)

Still hoping we get a release date and price soon. I'm still debating between this and the shield.
It's the same hope I have, I keep asking for news every day Wink
About the DD+ test file that crashes the device in Kodi I have noticed that Kodi detects it as a 6 channels audio instead of 8 channels, so tries to set up the track as pcm 6 channels and for some reason the whole kernel doesn't like it.

Edit:

these are my conclusions for HD audio on Kodi after a whole day of tests and various hacks to Kodi's code:

- 7.1 TrueHD and Atmos -> 8ch PCM (Note: set "Off" to "Keep audio device alive" under "System -> Audio" settings)
- 5.1 TrueHD -> not ok (there are problems with 6ch PCM) but it's not a format very used
- 7.1 DD+ -> Kodi detects it as 6ch which triggers the same issue as 5.1 TrueHD (you have to telnet into the device and kill the pid of Kodi because the audio creation is pegging the cpu), I did a nasty workaround to have it detected as 8ch here, it "works" but the central channel is not playing, probably it's connected to the fact that is detected as 6ch.

- 7.1 and 5.1 DTSHD MA are played as DTSHD core, so 5.1. I tried to force enable DTSHD 7.1 passthrough here but the stream is just mute, anyway not even with Amlogic's stagefright libs you get anything more than DTSHD core.
Disabling DTS decoding from the AVR capabilities settings to try to force it to use 8ch PCM like TrueHD doesn't work, you just get no audio.

To be tested: status of passthrough on Amlogic player of TrueHD streams using a S812-H soc (mine is S812)
Hi. I'm mainly interested in this for its ability to play 23.976. My tv is a 60hz model however. Is smooth 23.976 playback even possible as my understanding is it would have to be at least 120hz for this to be possible. Thanks very much.
You need a TV with a 24p Cinema Mode for smooth 23.976fps video playback (On my Sony TV its called Cinema 1). Most modern TV's have this. If your TV does not then no matter what media device you connect, your TV is not going to give you silky smooth video playback.

23.976/24fps displayed at 60 Hz will use the 3:2 pulldown technique which you may pick up as playback judder when the video camera pans left < > right.

Yes my tv has a cinema mode. But as I suspected, with 60hz tv there's no point in me getting a device which does 23.976 playback. Thanks.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4