• 62(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
Excellent stuff here guys thanks, yes I've seen Davilla's fingers just about in everything in my AML travels around GitHub and even into the AML Kernel itself.
Is there anywhere the Sly ol Fox has not been ?

btw: I still find your Avatar disturbing, must be the eyes !

(2016-01-09, 20:00)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 19:57)MrMC Wrote: The other problem with using AMLogic codec for DVDs are still frames. The system aml codec is designed and built for streaming. Shove in a still frame and it just sits there waiting for more (greedy little thing it is) before it will render that frame.

Yep - that seems to be an issue on a number of platforms.

We made big step forwards in the matter during the last weeks. VDPAU / VAAPI / Raspberry Pi works fine with stills, so dvd menus and so on.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-01-09, 20:39)fritsch Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 20:00)noggin Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 19:57)MrMC Wrote: The other problem with using AMLogic codec for DVDs are still frames. The system aml codec is designed and built for streaming. Shove in a still frame and it just sits there waiting for more (greedy little thing it is) before it will render that frame.

Yep - that seems to be an issue on a number of platforms.

We made big step forwards in the matter during the last weeks. VDPAU / VAAPI / Raspberry Pi works fine with stills, so dvd menus and so on.

Yes. I should probably have said 'seemed'. I remember the Pi and VAAPI solutions were in progress and working.
Raspberry Pi needed firmware changes I seem to remember (could be wrong).

VDPAU / VAAPI, well those are FFMpeg based and things are much easier when inside FFMpeg and not using by-pass rendering which makes throttling and control trivial.

The real issue here is packet based vs streaming codecs. Streaming codecs are heavily pipelined and contain their own throttling. Also have can their own render path. The Broadcom CrystalHD was such a streaming codec and it was a nightmare to handle.

I'm currently working on a AVSampleBufferLayer codec in iOS. Also by-pass, renders under GLES to it's own layer. I can place it anywhere in any size or shape. It is the fastest, most efficient way to decode video in darwin. CPU drop is simply amazing. The throttle is nice too, instead of dropping frames you control the frame rate where 1.0 is normal and you can increase or decrease it. PLL that to the master clock and it handles itself. Do have to watch the demux feed as it can also suck dry the kodi internal demux buffer in nothing flat.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-01-09, 12:30)lstar337 Wrote: No, mine says: P(FR:23.976, VQ1%, DC:AM-H264,MB/S:6.55, DROP:1, SKIP:433, PC:NONE)

VQ is flashing between 1&0% SKIP is raising all the time. I measured that it skipped 98 frames in 1 minute.

CPU usage is what I would call high (CPU0 70% CPU1 50% CPU2 61% CPU3 39%) obviously these figures are always changing, but I don't think my X4 ever had values this high, they were always between the 5 & 20% mark.

Strange.

Interestingly, if I turn off hardware acceleration I get VQ:99% and barely any frame skips. CPU values are a little lower, but not by much!

It's odd, it's like the hardware acceleration isn't working.

The same here.
After my first two movies using Openelec, I'm having same skipped frames values.

First of all: any one could tell me if picture quality could be worse using Openelec than Android? I can not compare both images at the same time but I think quality was better in Android. Is it possible?

About skipped frames:
First 5 minutes of one film (mkv h264 23.976 and around 9Mb/s) using Openelec: around 125 skipped frames
Same film and minutes using Android Kodi: around 20 skipped frames
Both with hardware acceleration.

Tried turning off hardware acceleration in Openelec and get less skipped frames.

When I tried another film with a higher bitrate (25MB/s), no skipped frames at all (Openelec and hardware acceleration).

Any idea about this? I'm worried about picture quality and would be pleased to have any information from you.

Edit to say that I'm using Isengard release and to add pics:

Pic 1: turned off hardware acceleration
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pso061p691f6ek...2.jpg?dl=0

Pic 2 after 14 minutes and 39 scds.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k264i2r05z8w2m...7.jpg?dl=0
I.e. More or less 1 skipped frame per minute.

Pic 3: same film but now with hardware acceleration turned on
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5h9tw89x5xj7d...0.jpg?dl=0

Pic 4 after 51 minutes and 53 scds of play (from last pic)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayrdv9ml8nsyl1...2.jpg?dl=0
I.e. more or less 51 skipped frames per minute!

Is it normal?
OE's skipped frames have absolutely nothing to say ... the AMLogic implementation is not running via RenderManager which produces those skips, but the AMLDecoder / Render does not care at all. Just ignore them.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-01-09, 22:49)Milkado Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 12:30)lstar337 Wrote: No, mine says: P(FR:23.976, VQ1%, DC:AM-H264,MB/S:6.55, DROP:1, SKIP:433, PC:NONE)

VQ is flashing between 1&0% SKIP is raising all the time. I measured that it skipped 98 frames in 1 minute.

CPU usage is what I would call high (CPU0 70% CPU1 50% CPU2 61% CPU3 39%) obviously these figures are always changing, but I don't think my X4 ever had values this high, they were always between the 5 & 20% mark.

Strange.

Interestingly, if I turn off hardware acceleration I get VQ:99% and barely any frame skips. CPU values are a little lower, but not by much!

It's odd, it's like the hardware acceleration isn't working.

The same here.
After my first two movies using Openelec, I'm having same skipped frames values.

First of all: any one could tell me if picture quality could be worse using Openelec than Android? I can not compare both images at the same time but I think quality was better in Android. Is it possible?

About skipped frames:
First 5 minutes of one film (mkv h264 23.976 and around 9Mb/s) using Openelec: around 125 skipped frames
Same film and minutes using Android Kodi: around 20 skipped frames
Both with hardware acceleration.

Tried turning off hardware acceleration in Openelec and get less skipped frames.

When I tried another film with a higher bitrate (25MB/s), no skipped frames at all (Openelec and hardware acceleration).

Any idea about this? I'm worried about picture quality and would be pleased to have any information from you.

Like fritsch confirmed, you can ignore those skips as they are not real. For WeTek Play OE build and OE Box build there is already skip patch applied. Probably next OE 6.0/7.0 build for Core will include this patch to prevent further confusion.

We was really busy with ethernet fix and gui tearing for OE, especially second one as it was present on all AMLogic SoC's, so we guess all community will have some benefits as well.
The skip patch also only has psychological effect - helps users that are not able to trust what they see :-)

The real thing that happens here is:
RenderManage has a queue of frames to render, but AMLogic does not care at all. It just sets its presentation timestamp to current clock + something, so that they appear on screen anyways. What rendermanager skips is for example overlays that would be too late (they are not clock "fixed"). Btw. the patch only disables the counting :-).

Most likely you are producing the skips yourself with the Codec Screen itself.

Edit: You can see the effect that is going on quite well, just compare subtitle rendering between sw decoding + subs and hw decoding + subs.
Yes fritsch, skips are increasing only when "O" info screen is on, when close it and open again it continue from last skip.
Jo :-) Nice tool to fool yourself, right?

I should have patched out much more of this codec screen when I removed the fps ... which users confused with "speed" of the video :-(
Codec Info Screen is notorious for creating all sorts of weird effects. It was only designed for developer usage to check things and as such has certain quirks. Smile
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-01-09, 22:52)fritsch Wrote: OE's skipped frames have absolutely nothing to say ... the AMLogic implementation is not running via RenderManager which produces those skips, but the AMLDecoder / Render does not care at all. Just ignore them.

On this system they do indicate that subtitles (if used) are out of sync. IMO nothing that should be ignored.
(2016-01-09, 23:29)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 22:52)fritsch Wrote: OE's skipped frames have absolutely nothing to say ... the AMLogic implementation is not running via RenderManager which produces those skips, but the AMLDecoder / Render does not care at all. Just ignore them.

On this system they do indicate that subtitles (if used) are out of sync. IMO nothing that should be ignored.

Jep - as said above ... the issue here is: users get notified of overlay / subs / whatever being skipped cause of being late - but AMLogic does what it pleases :-)
(2016-01-09, 23:14)droidelec Wrote: Yes fritsch, skips are increasing only when "O" info screen is on, when close it and open again it continue from last skip.

Sorry droidelec but that is not true.
As you can see in my images (if you can, because I don't know how to insert them correctly, sorry) in my previous edited message, skipped frames increase even in you dont press "o" (I was watching a film without codecinfo on screen)

But I trust in you, of course. And if you say that it is not important I will try to ignore that measures. But that not explain why those measures are not equal between Andoid and Openelec versions Huh

And about picture quality, is there any difference between both versions?
(2016-01-09, 23:30)Milkado Wrote:
(2016-01-09, 23:14)droidelec Wrote: Yes fritsch, skips are increasing only when "O" info screen is on, when close it and open again it continue from last skip.

Sorry droidelec but that is not true.
As you can see in my images (if you can, because I don't know how to insert them correctly, sorry) in my previous edited message, skipped frames increase even in you dont press "o" (I was watching a film without codecinfo on screen)

But I trust in you, of course. And if you say that it is not important I will try to ignore that measures. But that not explain why those measures are not equal between Andoid and Openelec versions Huh

And about picture quality, is there any difference between both versions?

As AMLogic user you should not open the CodecInfo at all ... as it does not relate to anything your hw decoder / render does.
  • 62(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4