• 72(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
Besides that passthrough audio, is it possible to detached HDMI from SPDIF? My TV (HDMI) doesn't support decoding of any audio, so I have to send 2.0PCM audio on HDMI, and when enable passthrough in KODI I got nasty, pitching sound in TV. AVR on SPIDF is perfect.
What is the price of the core when I buy it from wetex
(2016-01-19, 17:29)sandogo1 Wrote: What is the price of the core when I buy it from wetex

Lazy day? http://wetek.com/shop
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
yazz the hdmi gets muted when spdif is enabled in android settings Wink
(2016-01-19, 17:50)ChristianTroy Wrote: yazz the hdmi gets muted when spdif is enabled in android settings Wink

Wish the same in OpenELEC Wink

EDIT: but I guess it's not managed in KODI, switching on/off passthrough doesn't make SPDIF or HDMI muted, right? The point is to have it managed in KODI.
(2016-01-19, 21:11)yazz007 Wrote:
(2016-01-19, 17:50)ChristianTroy Wrote: yazz the hdmi gets muted when spdif is enabled in android settings Wink

Wish the same in OpenELEC Wink
+1
[

Thanks I don't know how I missed that on there site... Anyone have any ideas before there back in stock? Or if someone has one they wanna sell let me know

quote='fritsch' pid='2219682' dateline='1453217528']
(2016-01-19, 17:29)sandogo1 Wrote: What is the price of the core when I buy it from wetex

Lazy day? http://wetek.com/shop
[/quote]
(2016-01-19, 17:09)yazz007 Wrote: Besides that passthrough audio, is it possible to detached HDMI from SPDIF? My TV (HDMI) doesn't support decoding of any audio, so I have to send 2.0PCM audio on HDMI, and when enable passthrough in KODI I got nasty, pitching sound in TV. AVR on SPIDF is perfect.
I get the same, however my TV will happily decode DD 5.1 from my bluray player and Humax HDR box. I don't know what is different about the core output, but it was the same with my cyclone x4 box running openelec too.
(2016-01-19, 15:11)hdmkv Wrote: Agree... you're primarily losing ATMOS & DTS:X for those who care. With the media player doing the decoding vs. AVR, you're also losing dialog normalization & dynamic range compression, but there's debate on this. Here's an example.

Here's a white paper from Dolby, which also talks about proper downmixing, but I'd think today's AVR's are smart enough to do this properly. I haven't tested 7.1 tracks in a 5.1 set-up with PCM output, but I'd expect you'd get rears/sides from rears just fine (or ideally virtual sides somewhere between rears & fronts?), especially with 5.1 as the channel configuration in Kodi's audio settings.

Anyway, hopefully Christian & droidelec are okay with me posting Core's PCM patch results here (sorry, not sharing the actual patch; that's for them to make available however/whenever they feel best). Test results are too good to not share Smile. If bad, would've kept them in private quarters Wink...

This is all with audio output set to HDMI in Android audio settings (not PCM) , and with 7.1 as the speaker configuration (what I have) in Kodi (the preinstalled version w/WeTek OS v1.0.1 OTA firmware).

Initially, I left passthrough enabled in Kodi Settings > Audio Output:
  • DD5.1 channel check ... correctly output as DD5.1
  • DD+ 5.1 ... output as PCM 5.1
  • DD+ 7.1 ... output as PCM 5.1 (not 7.1, as no audio from rear surrounds)
  • TrueHD 5.1 ... perfectly output as PCM 5.1
  • TrueHD 7.1 ... perfectly output as PCM 7.1
  • DTS5.1 ... correctly output as DTS5.1
  • DTS-MA 5.1 channel check ... output as standard DTS 5.1
  • DTS-MA 7.1 channel check ... also output as standard DTS 5.1
  • PCM 7.1 channel check ... perfectly output as PCM 7.1
Now, when I went back to Kodi audio settings & disabled passthrough:
  • TrueHD 5.1 & 7.1 are screwed up, with audio only through left speaker, no center, and other channels heard through left
  • DTS-MA 5.1 ... output as PCM 5.1, which is great
  • DTS-MA 7.1 ... output as PCM 7.1, also great
So, with this patch, this build/version, to get the optimal & proper HD audio output, passthrough should be enabled, but with only DD/AC3 enabled & DTS disabled.

One issue I did notice however is that there's no picture, only audio, with certain videos. One I could consistently reproduce the issue with is the LPCM 7.1 channel check clip that Kodi forum member wesk05 shared with me. I've provided the clip to Christian for testing. What's interesting though is when I then tried another video with LPCM 7.1, my full MKV rip of '3:10 to Yuma' Blu-ray, no issue w/video. In fact, playback was perfect (video & audio), and this is VC-1 23.976 video to boot.
So my Yamaha has DRC and a night mode to keep voice and booms closer so I dont need to turn the volume up and down all day. So what you're saying is if I go PCM they wont work?

Don't think so. I mean if you've done your speaker calibration, dialog (center) and surrounds/sub (booms) should be adjusted for any 5.1 or 7.1 output right?

Updated my review of WeTek Core here. Off to re-test HD audio w/Kodi build Christian suggested in post #1063.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-01-19, 23:57)BORIStheBLADE Wrote:
(2016-01-19, 15:11)hdmkv Wrote: Agree... you're primarily losing ATMOS & DTS:X for those who care. With the media player doing the decoding vs. AVR, you're also losing dialog normalization & dynamic range compression, but there's debate on this. Here's an example.

Here's a white paper from Dolby, which also talks about proper downmixing, but I'd think today's AVR's are smart enough to do this properly. I haven't tested 7.1 tracks in a 5.1 set-up with PCM output, but I'd expect you'd get rears/sides from rears just fine (or ideally virtual sides somewhere between rears & fronts?), especially with 5.1 as the channel configuration in Kodi's audio settings.

Anyway, hopefully Christian & droidelec are okay with me posting Core's PCM patch results here (sorry, not sharing the actual patch; that's for them to make available however/whenever they feel best). Test results are too good to not share Smile. If bad, would've kept them in private quarters Wink...

This is all with audio output set to HDMI in Android audio settings (not PCM) , and with 7.1 as the speaker configuration (what I have) in Kodi (the preinstalled version w/WeTek OS v1.0.1 OTA firmware).

Initially, I left passthrough enabled in Kodi Settings > Audio Output:
  • DD5.1 channel check ... correctly output as DD5.1
  • DD+ 5.1 ... output as PCM 5.1
  • DD+ 7.1 ... output as PCM 5.1 (not 7.1, as no audio from rear surrounds)
  • TrueHD 5.1 ... perfectly output as PCM 5.1
  • TrueHD 7.1 ... perfectly output as PCM 7.1
  • DTS5.1 ... correctly output as DTS5.1
  • DTS-MA 5.1 channel check ... output as standard DTS 5.1
  • DTS-MA 7.1 channel check ... also output as standard DTS 5.1
  • PCM 7.1 channel check ... perfectly output as PCM 7.1
Now, when I went back to Kodi audio settings & disabled passthrough:
  • TrueHD 5.1 & 7.1 are screwed up, with audio only through left speaker, no center, and other channels heard through left
  • DTS-MA 5.1 ... output as PCM 5.1, which is great
  • DTS-MA 7.1 ... output as PCM 7.1, also great
So, with this patch, this build/version, to get the optimal & proper HD audio output, passthrough should be enabled, but with only DD/AC3 enabled & DTS disabled.

One issue I did notice however is that there's no picture, only audio, with certain videos. One I could consistently reproduce the issue with is the LPCM 7.1 channel check clip that Kodi forum member wesk05 shared with me. I've provided the clip to Christian for testing. What's interesting though is when I then tried another video with LPCM 7.1, my full MKV rip of '3:10 to Yuma' Blu-ray, no issue w/video. In fact, playback was perfect (video & audio), and this is VC-1 23.976 video to boot.
So my Yamaha has DRC and a night mode to keep voice and booms closer so I dont need to turn the volume up and down all day. So what you're saying is if I go PCM they wont work?

(2016-01-20, 00:10)hdmkv Wrote: Don't think so. I mean if you've done your speaker calibration, dialog (center) and surrounds/sub (booms) should be adjusted for any 5.1 or 7.1 output right?

Updated my review of WeTek Core here. Off to re-test HD audio w/Kodi build Christian suggested in post #1063.
No it doesnt. Well guess I have to wait for a passthrough device then. Can still get this for the bedroom though

(2016-01-19, 15:41)ChristianTroy Wrote: @hdmkv

for DD+ 7.1 can you try the latest modified Kodi apk pls? (it won't replace stock Kodi since it has a different package name)

https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/re...Tek_mod_v7

I had noticed that for some reason Kodi was recognizing the 7.1 DD+ track as 5.1 and I did a nasty workaround: https://github.com/christiantroy/xbmc/co...1e3ce48c33
Just tested w/this Kodi mod APK. No difference w/Android audio set to HDMI or PCM. With passthrough enabled in Kodi, and DD/AC3 enabled & DTS disabled, DD+ 7.1 is still output as 5.1. With passthrough disabled in Kodi, DD+ 7.1 is output as 2.0 PCM (no center, sub, sides, rears).

My recommendation Christian is that you apply this PCM patch to the next OTA WeTek firmware & release it. Honestly, DD+ 7.1 isn't worth worrying about. Everything else works great!

(2016-01-20, 01:40)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: No it doesnt. Well guess I have to wait for a passthrough device then. Can still get this for the bedroom though
IMHO, not a big deal. WeTek Core decoding HD audio as RPI2 does is good enough... if AML ever provides passthru, then great, but otherwise, can live with what Christian has accomplished!
My Family Room Theater
(2016-01-20, 01:52)hdmkv Wrote: My recommendation Christian is that you apply this PCM patch to the next OTA WeTek firmware & release it. Honestly, DD+ 7.1 isn't worth worrying about. Everything else works great!
This is no longer valid. It looks like studios are releasing EU Blu-rays with secondary audio as Dolby Digital Plus Atmos tracks.

Problem reported first in this post: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2217888

As it is now, it plays correctly only on Linux versions of Kodi.
Still, this PCM patch is better than not having it. Will work with most BD rips out there. Odd about DD+ ATMOS BD releases in EU... no TrueHD 7.1 as secondary?
My Family Room Theater
(2016-01-20, 02:18)hdmkv Wrote: Still, this PCM patch is better than not having it. Will work with most BD rips out there. Odd about DD+ ATMOS BD releases in EU... no TrueHD 7.1 as secondary?
Indeed! there is no reason for the patch to be held up. I was just making a comment that Dolby Digital Plus that was long considered irrelevant to physical media is now an undead Wink
  • 72(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4