Music/Video audio normalization option
Access is via the OSD when playing a video file fullscreen.
Would it be considered to rename that function to be more fitting. I think by naming it "Volume Amplification" considering what it's function actually is would be misleading. All this time i have never used it because of the name, and always wondered what happened to the "Dynamic Range Compression" function as i found it usefull.
Maybe "Sound Compression Level" is more fitting based on what you mentioned it actually does, or something similar. To a lot of users, "Volume Amplication" would be something that boosts the volume output, or gain, which is the same reason i haven't used it, because of not needing gain ouput with the theater setup, but DO like using range compression sometimes when at night and other's are sleeping, watching an action movie or something that has some range to it.
I know you might be set on that name, and that's why i am simply asking for at least the though of changing it to at least a better suited name considering what's it's actually doing, now that we know.
Technically it is applying gain, thus is Volume Amplification. Just some bits get very little gain (peaks) whereas some get a lot (quiet stuff).

But sure, a better name may be warranted - I suspect "Dynamic Range Compression" is probably the better label.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks jmarshall!!!
Information 
Note that Audio Normalization and Dynamic Range Compression are not the same Nerd

For Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) discussion please see this other topic thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=4156
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I recently upgraded my XBMC and the old version had dynamic range for volume. Now instead there is volume aplication, which imo is useless because that just creates clipping and a reciever or tv can already increase the volume. Just a simple question, can you put whatever dynamic range you previously had back into xbmc as an option?
They're essentially the same.

The volume amplification does not hardclip - it's softclipping just like DRC. Basically, it's compressing the signal, but tries to keep the low end as linear as possible. It uses a sigmoid curve if you are interested in the technical details - see AsyncDirectSound.cpp.

Cheers
Jonathan

djdafreund Wrote:Would it be considered to rename that function to be more fitting. I think by naming it "Volume Amplification" considering what it's function actually is would be misleading. All this time i have never used it because of the name, and always wondered what happened to the "Dynamic Range Compression" function as i found it usefull.
Maybe "Sound Compression Level" is more fitting based on what you mentioned it actually does, or something similar. To a lot of users, "Volume Amplication" would be something that boosts the volume output, or gain, which is the same reason i haven't used it, because of not needing gain ouput with the theater setup, but DO like using range compression sometimes when at night and other's are sleeping, watching an action movie or something that has some range to it.
I know you might be set on that name, and that's why i am simply asking for at least the though of changing it to at least a better suited name considering what's it's actually doing, now that we know.

Same here.
Although the placement is exactly the same, the name has changed and it is NOT the same feature.

Although you guys claim the original functions was an amp (the lows being amped), it is NOT the same feature.

I tried amping it. Everything stays at the same levels, only lowers (highs are still high and lows still low).

Against my better judgement, I even turned the amp all the way up and turned my TV all the way down (which is stupid to have to do that in the first place). Still same effect. Highs still high and lows still low and a horrible garbling of louds segments.

Now, I don't know why no one can see this, but the simple feature of amping (normalizing or compressing. w/e you wanna call it) is completely missing.

It was replaced or upgraded to general amplification only.

Unless I completely missed something, of course.

We should have another slider for normalization or compression (amp the minimum).

You should be able to adjust (like it used to be) the master volume according to the loudest scenes and then adjust the minimum amp to a comprehensible level. Thus, you no longer need to adjust your TV and only the minimum amp too keep dialogues understandable.

I used to have this as a 50% default setting. Anything higher would garble the lows or make ambience too loud. If I needed more I would just boost it a little, otherwise I could simply slide it down to 0 if I didn't need it at all.
Sorry guys I am a bit confused . I have my library 70gb. I want to normalize to have songs 89db.If I dont want to lose quality I have to use foobar2000 or mp3gain?
I thought mp3gain will redecode the mp3s which is bad.Instead, foobar just adds some parameter on tags.

I play my music on Kodi (AMFT) and plex on the phone.
(2017-06-12, 14:39)ignade82 Wrote: Sorry guys I am a bit confused . I have my library 70gb. I want to normalize to have songs 89db.If I dont want to lose quality I have to use foobar2000 or mp3gain?
I thought mp3gain will redecode the mp3s which is bad.Instead, foobar just adds some parameter on tags.

Replaygain is what you're talking about with foobar2000. You can use foobar2000 (and lots of other applications I'd guess) to scan your library and add that parameter. Note that if you're going to do it properly, your really need a well-organised library. This is because foobar will add two values for replaygain for each file: one for the individual song and one for the album of which the song is a part. It makes sense to use the album value if you're playing a whole album. That way differences in volume between individual tracks are preserved, but the average volume for the album as a whole will be approximately the same as any other album you've got. This is a very simplistic explanation and that's my level of knowledge. Discussions on Replaygain get very technical very quickly. At your option, Kodi will use the replaygain information in the header to do roughly what you want when it plays the file.
(2017-06-13, 16:15)dWooluf Wrote:
(2017-06-12, 14:39)ignade82 Wrote: Sorry guys I am a bit confused . I have my library 70gb. I want to normalize to have songs 89db.If I dont want to lose quality I have to use foobar2000 or mp3gain?

Replaygain is what you're talking about with foobar2000. You can use foobar2000 (and lots of other applications I'd guess) to scan your library and add that parameter. Note that if you're going to do it properly, your really need a well-organised library. This is because foobar will add two values for replaygain for each file: one for the individual song and one for the album of which the song is a part. It makes sense to use the album value if you're playing a whole album. That way differences in volume between individual tracks are preserved, but the average volume for the album as a whole will be approximately the same as any other album you've got. This is a very simplistic explanation and that's my level of knowledge. Discussions on Replaygain get very technical very quickly. At your option, Kodi will use the replaygain information in the header to do roughly what you want when it plays the file.

thanks for your reply.
As you said Replaygain get very technical very quickly.
I will add first album gain tag (My single songs have "Singles" as album") and after by Track gain.
I am still uncertain If I will push from 0 db to 8 db or keeping 0db that is 89db.
I hope foobar will write just id3 I dont t want Apetag

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music/Video audio normalization option0