• 9(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-02-15, 15:32)smallclone Wrote: Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade from a NUC Celeron. I would like another NUC ideally with built in IR and 4k futureproofing (as much as possible anyway). Questions:

-Is there a NUC that immediately jumps out as being suitable for this?
-Can I use my current RAM and Kodi USB flash drive on a newer model?

Thanks

Personally I would wait for the new Intel CPU and Nuc with HDMI 2.0 with 4K/60.
All the Nuc at the moment use Hdmi 1.4 and will only be able to do 4K at 30 frames per second.
(2016-02-14, 22:54)lexluthor Wrote: Think I need one of the AMLogic Android devices as I need optical out to my receiver so that eliminates nexus player and fire tv stick. I need it to output both DD5.1 and DTS and do have some movies that are AC3 encoded.
One question, do you have an Optical Output on your TV ?
And what brand and model is it, as others may be able to help ?

(2016-02-16, 05:47)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-02-14, 22:54)lexluthor Wrote: Think I need one of the AMLogic Android devices as I need optical out to my receiver so that eliminates nexus player and fire tv stick. I need it to output both DD5.1 and DTS and do have some movies that are AC3 encoded.
One question, do you have an Optical Output on your TV ?
And what brand and model is it, as others may be able to help ?
Current TV in that room is old Panasonic RPTV. No optical output there. Receiver has no HDMI at all. Definitely think I'm going to need a box with HDMI to the TV and an optical output to the receiver. I'm replacing a WDTV Live Plus box.
Yes you really are between a Rock and a Hard place, but there is an easy fix.

The most cost effective solution that will fit your needs would be to grab one of these HDMI to Optical Audio extractors and team that up with a Nexus Player, that I believe is on sale for as low as $25. I would check that those Apps you need are supported first. They very likely are.
You need to be aware that extra bits are needed for the Nexus to connect USB HDD's to the micro USB port.
Some people have been having issues I believe with WIFI as well, please check the Nexus player thread.

HDMI to S/PDIF Extractors:

J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (Support Apple TV 4 Gen)

ViewHD HDMI Audio Extractor | Optical Toslink + L/R Stereo Analog Converter Outputs | VHD-H2HSAs

(2016-02-16, 06:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes you really are between a Rock and a Hard place, but there is an easy fix.

The most cost effective solution that will fit your needs would be to grab one of these HDMI to Optical Audio extractors and team that up with a Nexus Player, that I believe is on sale for as low as $25. I would check that those Apps you need are supported first. They very likely are.

HDMI to S/PDIF Extractors:

J-Tech Digital ® Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (Support Apple TV 4 Gen)

ViewHD HDMI Audio Extractor | Optical Toslink + L/R Stereo Analog Converter Outputs | VHD-H2HSAs

I can look into that, but i was under the impression that, while that may get the audio to the receiver, it won't be received as DD5.1 or DTS but will just play in 2.0.

If i know i could do what you suggest and have a movie playing from kodi that's encoded as either DD5.1 or DTS sending all the channels to the receiver, i might just do that.

Does anyone know for sure?
You may be mixing up the number of Transport channels with the number of audio channels supported over S/PDIF.

Kodi will use 2.0 Transport channels to stream compressed 5.1 AC3 / DD / DTS audio over S/PDIF.
See here under Audio Output device.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_settings

It really does not matter as all the Nexus will see is a HDMI connection to your TV. The Audio extractor box does all the hard work and will be transparent for all intended purposes to extract 5.1 Audio and fire that out over S/PDIF.

You need a Audio extractor that supports HDCP & EDID Pass Through for DRM protected Apps otherwise you get a black TV screen.

With the Audio extractor the other option then becomes the Amazon Fire TV2, thats near your budget if you need 4K Netflix.
https://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv/shi...-vs-firetv

(2016-02-16, 06:21)wrxtasy Wrote: You may be mixing up the number of Transport channels with the number of audio channels supported over S/PDIF.

Kodi will use 2.0 Transport channels to stream compressed 5.1 AC3 / DD / DTS audio over S/PDIF.
See here under Audio Output device.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_settings

It really does not matter as all the Nexus will see is a HDMI connection to your TV. The Audio extractor box does all the hard work and will be transparent for all intended purposes to extract 5.1 Audio and fire that out over S/PDIF.

You need a Audio extractor that supports HDCP & EDID Pass Through for DRM protected Apps otherwise you get a black TV screen.
Hmm, maybe that is the best solution then. Do the 2 devices you noted in your earlier post support what you said here?

Nexus player will probably be $50. That seems to be the recent sale price at a couple of places.
Just been reading the reviews on Amazon an a bunch of people are happy with this one, and are using it for the same uses as you require. Have a read yourself.

J-Tech Digital Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (Support Apple TV 4 Gen)

That has the HDCP and EDID, HDMI passthrough required.
You need the SPDIF + RCA Stereo one for $29.99

(2016-02-16, 04:20)psysfaction Wrote:
(2016-02-15, 15:32)smallclone Wrote: Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade from a NUC Celeron. I would like another NUC ideally with built in IR and 4k futureproofing (as much as possible anyway). Questions:

Thanks

All the Nuc at the moment use Hdmi 1.4 and will only be able to do 4K at 30 frames per second.

Thanks for this. Any idea when these new NUCs are out?
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
(2016-02-16, 13:30)smallclone Wrote:
(2016-02-16, 04:20)psysfaction Wrote:

Thanks

Probably Q2 2016 but who knows... Intel has had so many delays in the last 2 years.
I would keep your cleron nuc runing until then since non of the Intel hardware is "future proof" at the moment.
If your NUC is too slow for your needs than maybe try running Openelec on it since it uses the hardware very efficiently.
(2016-02-16, 13:46)psysfaction Wrote:
(2016-02-16, 13:30)smallclone Wrote:
(2016-02-16, 04:20)psysfaction Wrote: Personally I would wait for the new Intel CPU and Nuc with HDMI 2.0 with 4K/60.

Probably Q2 2016 but who knows... Intel has had so many delays in the last 2 years.
I would keep your cleron nuc runing until then since non of the Intel hardware is "future proof" at the moment.
If your NUC is too slow for your needs than maybe try running Openelec on it since it uses the hardware very efficiently.

I do use Openelec. It's not that t's slow. I just fancy an IR so my Logitech remote can talk to it, and I love NUCs.

Will I be able to plug my RAM and USB with Kodi on into a new NUC?
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
(2016-02-16, 06:38)wrxtasy Wrote: Just been reading the reviews on Amazon an a bunch of people are happy with this one, and are using it for the same uses as you require. Have a read yourself.

J-Tech Digital Premium Quality 1080P HDMI To HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter (Support Apple TV 4 Gen)

That has the HDCP and EDID, HDMI passthrough required.
You need the SPDIF + RCA Stereo one for $29.99
Ok, I think I'll do this with the Nexus player for $50. Even if the Nexus Player doesn't have the Showtime anytime app, for example, I can still use my phone to cast Showtime Anytime content to it, right?

This one looks to be the same item and is a few $s less.
http://www.amazon.com/Agptek-Viewhd-Prem...00TOBFSTE/

I would use the selector in pass mode, right?
Looks the same as the other one. EDIT: I see no HDCP which you need for DRM video Streaming.

No idea how it works. Look like you select some switches. Someone else may know.

Showtime, yep the Nexus has that. The only App missing is Amazon Instant Video.
See this chart:

(2016-02-16, 16:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Looks the same as the other one. EDIT: I see no HDCP which you need for DRM video Streaming.

No idea how it works. Look like you select some switches. Someone else may know.

Showtime, yep the Nexus has that. The only App missing is Amazon Instant Video.
See this chart:

This other one that I posted the link to earlier
http://www.amazon.com/Agptek-Viewhd-Prem...00TOBFSTE/
clearly notes HDCP. Or am I not reading something correctly?
Sorry yes, put my damn glasses on and did a word search. Your correct.

Supports HDCP, Video EDID Pass Through Smile

• 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28