• 33(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I tried a lot of things but I could not restore my "Made in China" box. I trashed it and I bought a Shield.
@ sebvalmontx360

I bought it purely for offline playback. I knew what I was getting into. All I wanted was basic playback. I didn't buy it to fiddle around with firmware or crack it open. It works fine out of the box.

@ Ned Scott

I bought it from Ebay. Aliexpress didn't send a confirmation email on sign-up. And even if I did buy from there the seller was established for years. Everything you buy off the Internet has an element of trust to it - otherwise we'd all be sticking to face to face bricks and mortars stores (which I prefer). Still no issues. And it wasn't thousands.

I think the problem is more the buyer expecting a Shield box for $50.
(2016-05-21, 08:30)winterfell44 Wrote: @ sebvalmontx360

I bought it purely for offline playback. I knew what I was getting into. All I wanted was basic playback. I didn't buy it to fiddle around with firmware or crack it open. It works fine out of the box.

@ Ned Scott

I bought it from Ebay. Aliexpress didn't send a confirmation email on sign-up. And even if I did buy from there the seller was established for years. Everything you buy off the Internet has an element of trust to it - otherwise we'd all be sticking to face to face bricks and mortars stores (which I prefer). Still no issues. And it wasn't thousands.

I think the problem is more the buyer expecting a Shield box for $50.

I also wanted it for local playback. That was the main reason I wanted openelec on it.

The problem was not to expect a shield for $50. If it was the one I bought (MXIII-G) I was satisfied. But it wasn't. And, in general, it is not a reseler fault. They receive apparently the same unit, from the same China retailer, but it has a different PC Board.

I am not saying it from myself. Check freaktab foruns and you will find hundreds of posts relating the same that happened to me.

As I said, very good that you were lucky with your unit. However, it is not the general rule.

In freaktabs you can find posts saying that they bought an unit and they were very satisfied with it. Two or three months later they bought another unit from the same retailer and it had a different firmware and PC Board. In these units you never know what is coming.
So Shield looks like the box for me.

My only question is that my current Acer/Revo plugs into my Pioneer RX-V671 Yamaha AV receiver. The computer stays on 24/7 and everything is Sofa controlled with a Logitech remote. I have a Roswell Remote dongle plugged into the Revo USB and thats what processes the Kodi/XBMC commands.

With the Shield will I just unplug the revo, plug in the Shield into the HDMI ports of the Yamaha and then plug the Roswell dongle into the Shield USB? Does it even have a USB? Since it comes remote ready, do I even need the dongle?
(2016-05-21, 21:40)wdpcpa Wrote: So Shield looks like the box for me.

My only question is that my current Acer/Revo plugs into my Pioneer RX-V671 Yamaha AV receiver. The computer stays on 24/7 and everything is Sofa controlled with a Logitech remote. I have a Roswell Remote dongle plugged into the Revo USB and thats what processes the Kodi/XBMC commands.

With the Shield will I just unplug the revo, plug in the Shield into the HDMI ports of the Yamaha and then plug the Roswell dongle into the Shield USB? Does it even have a USB? Since it comes remote ready, do I even need the dongle?

The Shield has 2x USB 3 and 1x micro USB 2 ports.

At the moment you get the Shield Remote for free when ordering a Shield from Amazon at least.
[/quote]

The Shield has 2x USB 3 and 1x micro USB 2 ports.

At the moment you get the Shield Remote for free when ordering a Shield from Amazon at least.
[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply. I saw that remote offer. My Logitech Universal Remote controls things other than the Revo. But it might be that since it can process "Media Center" commands and works with Kodi now, it will work with the Shield since it comes with a remote. I don't really want 2 remotes. Or maybe I can load the Shield commands into Logitech. I am hoping someone has experience. With using it with a universal remote. My intuition tells me it won't be a problem but I would like to know for sure.
No, you add "NVIDIA SHIELD" as a device to be controlled to your Harmony. I highly doubt it will support a random IR receiver.
I have an MCE IR remote (Ortek VRC-1100) hooked up to my Shield so I can get more usage out of the controls (and the number keys work) so it does support at least one 'random IR receiver'. I got it with an extra controller not the remote, because I have a Harmony so why would I want a remote I'd never use.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
One question regarding these "boxes". Considering they use pretty much all SoC, are they using the same clock for audio and video (as bluray and dvd players do) or are they similar to PCs where the two clocks are different, with the synchronization problems that that leads to?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
The Shield supports IR Receivers... the problem is to identify the correct receiver on Harmony Software.

I am using the IR from Nvidia Shield. Although it allows to define a small number of commands, it is working ok for me.
It was fun to play around with the cheap Chinese box, but I am over that phase now.

I have ordered a Shield with the free remote last night.
(2016-05-22, 16:12)808? Wrote: It was fun to play around with the cheap Chinese box, but I am over that phase now.

Where did you purchase your Shield from 808?
(2016-05-23, 08:14)wh1stlebare Wrote:
(2016-05-22, 16:12)808? Wrote: It was fun to play around with the cheap Chinese box, but I am over that phase now.

Where did you purchase your Shield from 808?

Got it direct from Amazon in the US, $199 USD including the remote, shipped free to HK.
Thanks 808
Hi Guys. Should i buy Wetek or Nvidia ? and what the reasons?

My Main Usage: Kodi & Netflix
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28