• 36(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-06-15, 05:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Suggestion:
Ditch the 3D Frame Packed (ie 1080p) ISO video playback requirement and more choices open up.

Both devices running LibreELEC / Kodi:

- Intel Chromebox, limited to Software decoding of 8/10bit HEVC(H265), there will be a hard HEVC Bitrate limit however where it will run out of CPU Ponies to software decode, particularly 4K HEVC. Comprehensive Audio support on the Chromebox.
4K will be limited to 30Hz video output due to HDMI 1.4 connection, which equals movies only running at 23.976fps.

- ODROID C2. Does actually decode 3D ISO's and switches the TV Automatically into 3D, see my Signature link below for details.
Keep an eye on this POST for 3D testing updates.
Any Audio/Video limitations are listed HERE
Does everything else you require for 4K and 8/10bit HEVC Hardware decoding, HDMI 2.0 connector.
You will need an USB powered hub or an Externally powered Hard Drive for reliability when connecting HDD's to ARM devices like the RPi / C2's.

Thanks for the reply. Well i can do away with ATMOS in this purchase, however full 1080p 3D ISO is a must. So should i buy on of these ODROID C2 ?
Can you guide me in how exactly to buy one of these things ?

p.s. - this setup will be used by my dad (he's 65 and not that techie), hence need something which has good UI & very easy to operate. Something with which he can just connect the HDD & play...

p.s.s- Evaluating himedia H8 as it fits my budget, any comments on that ?

Thanks.
After going through this thread I'm very confused! I have been using a Google Chromecast, but I'm now looking for something that I can easily use to replace cable TV. I'm a 53-year-old who isn't interested in anything very complicated. I like something that is plug and play, but that I could also add apps to. I made the mistake of purchasing a KodiElement after watching a review and IMO it was a royal POS - sent it back and got a refund. I'm simply looking to cut the cord from Comcast Cable and save money in the long run. I'd like to spend under $100.
(2016-06-18, 04:19)tom_allyn Wrote: After going through this thread I'm very confused! I have been using a Google Chromecast, but I'm now looking for something that I can easily use to replace cable TV. I'm a 53-year-old who isn't interested in anything very complicated. I like something that is plug and play, but that I could also add apps to. I made the mistake of purchasing a KodiElement after watching a review and IMO it was a royal POS - sent it back and got a refund. I'm simply looking to cut the cord from Comcast Cable and save money in the long run. I'd like to spend under $100.

Kodi is a piece of software called a media player.
As a user, you are expected to provide your own content thru your library, an OTA tuner or other means.
This site has also nothing to do with the so-called 'fully loaded' boxes such as the one you mention.
May I suggest you read this blog and you would understand Kodi's position.
Thank you so much for your interest in Kodi.
(2016-06-18, 04:28)OTinley Wrote:
(2016-06-18, 04:19)tom_allyn Wrote: After going through this thread I'm very confused! I have been using a Google Chromecast, but I'm now looking for something that I can easily use to replace cable TV. I'm a 53-year-old who isn't interested in anything very complicated. I like something that is plug and play, but that I could also add apps to. I made the mistake of purchasing a KodiElement after watching a review and IMO it was a royal POS - sent it back and got a refund. I'm simply looking to cut the cord from Comcast Cable and save money in the long run. I'd like to spend under $100.

Kodi is a piece of software called a media player.
As a user, you are expected to provide your own content thru your library, an OTA tuner or other means.
This site has also nothing to do with the so-called 'fully loaded' boxes such as the one you mention.
May I suggest you read this blog and you would understand Kodi's position.
Thank you so much for your interest in Kodi.

Thank you very much I read the article and it was very enlightening!
Quote:Thank you very much I read the article and it was very enlightening!
Thank you very much for taking the time to do so.
(2016-06-18, 01:15)coolcatric Wrote:
Ditch the 3D Frame Packed (ie 1080p) ISO video playback requirement and more choices open up.

- Intel Chromebox, limited to Software decoding of 8/10bit HEVC(H265), there will be a hard HEVC Bitrate limit however where it will run out of CPU Ponies to software decode, particularly 4K HEVC. Comprehensive Audio support on the Chromebox.
4K will be limited to 30Hz video output due to HDMI 1.4 connection, which equals movies only running at 23.976fps.

- ODROID C2. Does actually decode 3D ISO's and switches the TV Automatically into 3D, see my Signature link below for details.
Does everything else you require for 4K and 8/10bit HEVC Hardware decoding, HDMI 2.0 connector.
You will need an USB powered hub or an Externally powered Hard Drive for reliability when connecting HDD's to ARM devices like the RPi / C2's.

Thanks for the reply. Well i can do away with ATMOS in this purchase, however full 1080p 3D ISO is a must. So should i buy on of these ODROID C2 ?

NO Full Resolution 3D ISO (aka Frame Packed) with the C2 or any AMlogic device period. You will be wasting your money.
Please read hdmkv's 3D thread to understand what Frame Packed 3D provides.

Quote:p.s. - this setup will be used by my dad (he's 65 and not that techie), hence need something which has good UI & very easy to operate. Something with which he can just connect the HDD & play...

Thanks.
See hdmkv's dedicated 3D thread for the recommended devices, he has all the info. Ask questions in that thread.

You want a Champagne box at beer money prices. Its simply not going to work. Full 1080p Resolution 3D with all the requirements you want, then your are going to have to pay. Its as simple as that.

Please advise which of the formentioned android boxes have voice command? I see the Nvidia Shield does, wondering if there is one that is cheaper.
(2016-06-18, 05:11)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-06-18, 01:15)coolcatric Wrote:

NO Full Resolution 3D ISO (aka Frame Packed) with the C2 or any AMlogic device period. You will be wasting your money.
Please read hdmkv's 3D thread to understand what Frame Packed 3D provides.

Quote:p.s. - this setup will be used by my dad (he's 65 and not that techie), hence need something which has good UI & very easy to operate. Something with which he can just connect the HDD & play...

Thanks.
See hdmkv's dedicated 3D thread for the recommended devices, he has all the info. Ask questions in that thread.

You want a Champagne box at beer money prices. Its simply not going to work. Full 1080p Resolution 3D with all the requirements you want, then your are going to have to pay. Its as simple as that.

Basically what i need is a minimum Himedia Q5 Pro to meet my purpose.

I have a basic question though, see if you can help.

Currently i have the 3D ISO files which run fine on my 1080p screen in 2D & full HD. Post buying either of the player i will run same file on this very screen which is 3D & 1080P only (not 4K). Hope the content of these 3D ISO's will run in 3D mode. As i understand that these 3D prints have 2 x full HD prints thrown at the same time, hence just wondering that my 1080P screen should not become a bottleneck.

Thanks & Peace.
It's pretty obvious ASK the guys over in the dedicated 3D threads and Himedia Hardware threads these questions, there is a treasure trove of 3D info over in those threads already. Those that can answer will not go about double posting across different threads as its a waste of time and effort.

So what you probably want is a dual purpose device, that will allow you to run KODI (not exactly sure what sources you are going to feed it though, other than OTA) and allow you to run some premium apps (like netflix, hbo go, etc).

You should probably look more towards a device for cordcutting, and be weary (of course) of anything offering too much for too little (like the box you already returned).

There are plenty of legal options to allow you to cut the cord, like netflix, amazon prime video, hulu, hbo go (and showtime/etc/etc) and so on.
You can get over the air local stations (OTA) if you are within range of local towers.
Then there are some grey area addons/etc that KODI can do, as well as some not even close to grey. You'll need to go outside of the official forums for any of that, and then you are swimming with the big boys, so be ready for that.

This thread is more for the best option for a KODI machine/box, since there are so many x86, arm, linux, android, etc options out there these days. All this talk in the first few posts about perfect 24p, 7.1 bit streaming, all you want to find is one that has the features you want/etc for a good price point.
I am using himedia q5
With latest firmware and wrapper
Yamaha rxv677 7.1 amp
Benq w1070 ( not 4k)

I have it setup to bitstream
Audio and get 7.1 dts hd, true hd etc
Ive watched hundreds of movies since owning this device 3d iso format mkv x264 etc
It plays full 3d frame packing for 3d iso files with menus etc also hsbs etc all perfectly

And had no picture stutters or playback problems with audio drop outs.

I also use a gigabyte 2955u pc but find the picture quality far superior on the himedia even when changing al intel picture settings following the guide on these forums. intel hd setup turning of enhancements, film mode etc, Biggest problem is the blacks dont look black no matter what you do compared to q5 spent many hours trying.
This also bitsreams all formats dts hd ec in kodi using wasapi hdmi i also disabled my onboard sound card in bios.

Only thing i am lacking is true h.265 10 bit support it doesnt playback 5.1 flac audio in those files only had few which came out in last week like that plays them as 3 channels but video quality is fine. Im thinking thats my amp at fault but researching that atm.

I am always looking for something better but playback wise the q5 has not let me down on any videos so far was interested in q10 pro but put off by comments on here about 23.976 stuttering not sure why i not experienced that on the q5.

Is there anything better out there what does all the q5 does and more?

would the video picture quality be better if i upgraded the 2955u brix for an i6 intel nuc with later intel hd graphics?
I thought it may have been obvious... Wink
Yes recent Intel gear that supports 10bit HEVC decoding and special versions of 3D Frame Packed Kodi. All answers are in the 3D thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407

Is the RPi 3 running LibreELEC the way to go for a low cost Kodi device for audio only playback of FLAC, AAC, MP3 from a password protected SMB 3.x network share over either HDMI or SPDIF output (a device that has one or both options is fine for me)? Or, is there something notable to be gained from a device like the Odroid C2 with the eMMC option? I've used Chromboxes or equivalent 2957U devices so far, but I'm looking for a less expensive option with no fan.

I'm asking because it's not really addressed in this thread (that I saw)...
For music only, any rpi and https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-07-01, 15:46)Stereodude Wrote: Is the RPi 3 running LibreELEC the way to go for a low cost Kodi device for audio only playback of FLAC, AAC, MP3 from a password protected SMB 3.x network share over either HDMI or SPDIF output (a device that has one or both options is fine for me)? Or, is there something notable to be gained from a device like the Odroid C2 with the eMMC option? I've used Chromboxes or equivalent 2957U devices so far, but I'm looking for a less expensive option with no fan.

I'm asking because it's not really addressed in this thread (that I saw)...

For music the Pi is definitely the way to go - particularly if you have any multichannel FLAC (the C2 doesn't output multichannel PCM, unlike the Pi which does). You won't get SPDIF output without using either an I2S or USB solution if you go the SPDIF route though.
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28