• 63(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2016-11-08, 19:56)BestTvBox Wrote:
(2016-11-08, 03:57)wrxtasy Wrote: What you mean by "Any "Fully Loaded" Amazon Pirate Kodi devices...."
Click...

The Piracy Box Sellers and Youtube Promoters Are Killing Kodi

Smile 
Had to sign up today to give a big thanks to wrxtasy for all his help. I've been a lurker & the forums for a while. I've been running Kodi via windows on my work laptop, but it's just been a pain to have to setup & use a mouse for Kodi.

Finally bought a Kodi box after much deliberation. I got the Odroid C2 & grabbed an 8GB eMMc chip which I flashed with Libreelec & the .tar update to turn the box on and off with an IR remote. The box is extremely fast & plays all my full bluray rips great & passed through HD Audio like a boss. Checking the CPU when playing back a full bluray rip, none of the processors even hit 20% load.

If your on the fence & need HD Audio go for the Odroid C2. Big Grin
Looking through the options at the top of the thread I didn't see one that fit my scenario and I'm not up to date on the newer things like LibreELEC etc so I need a little help from the experts. This is for a bedroom build to replace an old laptop that is dying. Here's what I need:
  • Libraries are on a NAS so the box just needs wifi access to pull in the Kodi content, so it won't need much local storage
  • I have a basic AVR (Denon 1513) and 5.1 setup in the bedroom, I don't need 4K support, just 1080p over HDMI will do fine
  • My other machines on the network are running W7 and I have an available license for that OS so that would be an easy setup for me. But I'm not adverse to any other OS options (but I used to have Ubuntu and Windows on the same network back in the XBMC days and that was a pain to get it all working together I recall). As long as it's easy to get everything to play nice together, I'm fine with any OS option
  • We have an HDHomerun on our network for streaming live TV so that's a must to integrate.
  • We need support for popular streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify etc. We usually just watch these in a browser window.
  • Right now I have a Logitech Harmony 250 to control all the components and a wireless keyboard for the computer

Looking for an affordable option that will work well, is easy to setup and wife-friendly. Thank you very much in advance, you guys are always a great resource

EDIT: After doing a bunch of research this morning I'm thinking an Intel NUC might be a good option for me. It looks like you can really dial in how high tech of a build you want. I'm curious how cheap I could go with what I need it for? Would a bottom of the line NUC with a celeron etc do it for me?
(2016-11-13, 16:42)snafu7x7 Wrote: [*]We have an HDHomerun on our network for streaming live TV so that's a must to integrate.
[*]We need support for popular streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Video, Spotify etc.

Looking for an affordable option that will work well, is easy to setup and wife-friendly.
I would strongly suggest using Wife Friendly, remote control friendly, Big Screen TV friendly Apps on a nVIDIA Shield.
No need to stuff around with unfriendly web browsers to view things such as Netflix and Spotify.

You can side load a (Sony TV) Amazon (Prime) Instant Video App for HD playback and 5.1 Audio to cover that too.

TV is covered as well:
https://shield.nvidia.co.uk/apps/hdhomerun-view

And then there is this coming:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/05/14/hdho...ndroid-tv/

Hey guys,

at the moment I use the very stable odroid c2 in combination with wrxtasy's libreelec 7.1.0 from october. It's not possible to use amazon or netflix with the odroid c2 at the moment, so I am looking for another box.

But which box meets my demands?

1. Netflix 1080p 5.1
2. Amazon 1080p 5.1
3. Kodi - jidderfree mkv movies (mpeg2/h264) in 1080p with automatic frame rate switching to 24(23,976)/50/60Hz and 5.1 HD Audio passthrough (Dolby/DTS)
4. Kodi - jidderfree VDR liveTV (mpeg2/h264) in max 1080i 50Hz 5.1
5. Kodi - music mp3
6. remote control per harmony remote
7. Retrogaming (NES/SNES/N64)
8. connecting 2 bluetooth PS3 Controller

Android TV/Libreelec dualboot would be nice. 4K is optional, but also would be nice.

If the nvidia shield can do 1-7, it may be an option without Libreelec dualboot. So I would buy a second shield game pad and sell the two ps3 controller.

But what about the hub with WeOS or ATV OS Rom by Ricardo? Does it meet all the 7 points? What about the memory leak with 1GB RAM? Anybody here connected one or two ps3 controllers to the hub?

Are there any other boxes on the market meeting my requirements?

Thanks and greetings Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2016-11-13, 20:30)wrxtasy Wrote: I would strongly suggest using Wife Friendly, remote control friendly, Big Screen TV friendly Apps on a nVIDIA Shield.
No need to stuff around with unfriendly web browsers to view things such as Netflix and Spotify.

You can side load a (Sony TV) Amazon (Prime) Instant Video App for HD playback and 5.1 Audio to cover that too.

TV is covered as well:
https://shield.nvidia.co.uk/apps/hdhomerun-view

And then there is this coming:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/05/14/hdho...ndroid-tv/

Hmmmm, I thought those were much more expensive than they are (currently $250 on Amazon) which is not much different than what it would cost me to build an Intel NUC after purchasing the SSD and RAM. And I can set up all my sources (Netflix, Amazon, HDHomerun, Kodi, etc) via app installs, am I understanding you correctly? Do you have this setup yourself?

Cause if that's the case, it seems a no-brainer since you get a gaming console to boot! I looked at some of the games they have on the NVidia site, some are 'included' what does that mean? You play em for free as part of owning the device?

PS: Thanks a lot for your help, I basically check in on these forums every couple years when I need to upgrade or set something new up and there's always a bunch of new cool stuff to learn.
Guys. Been reading the thread. Can someone advise. Looking a 4K Kodi box. Prefer full 4K support with HDMI 2. Must have a Gigabit Ethernet and WiFi built in. Netflix/Amazon support. Prefer device that simply does whatever I throw at it. No side or messing about. Storage, USB drive or network support is fine. Read the first few posts but do not see anything that can do the full 4K video and audio. Will be connecting it Samsung 4K TV and Yamaha 4K ready soundbar. Looking at quality and reliability as most important factors. Appreciate some pointers.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-11-13, 23:18)hoppel118 Wrote: 2. Amazon 1080p 5.1
= Amazon Stick v.2 or Fire TV2 or nVIDIA Shield. Amazon App has to be sideloaded on to the Shield and 5.1 Audio on Shield - only if an AVR connected.
Hub / Play2 will not do Amazon (Prime) Instant Video in 720/1080p.

Quote:3. Kodi - jidderfree mkv movies (mpeg2/h264) in 1080p with automatic frame rate switching to 24(23,976)/50/60Hz and 5.1 HD Audio passthrough (Dolby/DTS)
Unsure about the judder free on the Amazon Fire TV2. Either ask in the Amazon FireTV2 Hardware thread (if you find it) or see the MrMC links in Post #1

There is a LOT of up to date detail in Post #1 & Post#2 of this thread about the Shield and Amazon FireTV2 and limitations

Quote:4. Kodi - jidderfree VDR liveTV (mpeg2/h264) in max 1080i 50Hz 5.1
Amazon FireTV2 not recommended for Live TV. I don't even think it can even do Hardware deinterlacing, and if that is that case. Interlaced HD H264 TV will not work.

You don't need to spend a fortune for Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. Just get a Amazon Stick v.2. if you have a device that covers Audio and Video playback of everything else.

(2016-11-13, 23:58)snafu7x7 Wrote: Hmmmm, I thought those were much more expensive than they are (currently $250 on Amazon) which is not much different than what it would cost me to build an Intel NUC after purchasing the SSD and RAM.
Go straight to the nVIDIA Shop, because current Shield prices can be pretty jacked up on the Amazon Store:

https://shield.nvidia.com/node/12

Yes you just install the Apps yourself from the Google Play Store. The Sony TV - Amazon Instant Video App will need to be Sideloaded from a USB stick. The link for that App is in Post#1

Dear community, I'm totally lost. Right today I realized that my "old" Asrock Visio 3D win10/Kodi16 is not able to play 4K video even I replaced the CPU with i7 :-(

Well, my needs is not so big:

- Windows 10 + Kodi
- Play FULLHD / 4K via NAS
- Play FULL 3D ISO via NAS (Actually I'm using Total Media Thatre method from Kodi)
- Remote IR (don't want use mouse+keyboard)

Could someone advice please?

EDIT: What about The Intel NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK? This for sure is able to play 4K flawless but is the Intel® Iris 580 able to play 3D??
(2016-11-16, 17:54)Lucas Rey Wrote: EDIT: What about The Intel NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK? This for sure is able to play 4K flawless but is the Intel® Iris 580 able to play 3D??

doesn't support 10-bit HEVC or HDMI 2.0 -- wait for the KabyLake version
(2016-11-14, 04:37)wrxtasy Wrote: Go straight to the nVIDIA Shop, because current Shield prices can be pretty jacked up on the Amazon Store:

https://shield.nvidia.com/node/12

Yes you just install the Apps yourself from the Google Play Store. The Sony TV - Amazon Instant Video App will need to be Sideloaded from a USB stick. The link for that App is in Post#1

I got my Shield today and got it setup in record time. Thanks a ton for the timely advice.

The only thing that doesn't work is Amazon Video...I tried sideloading that apk you recommended and it installs fine but when you start it up it just hangs on the welcome screen and you can't login or even get the UI to respond. I'm wondering if maybe it's not compatible with the latest Shield firmware? It auto-updated that on setup (to version 3.3.0 I believe). If this is covered elsewhere in the thread or something, I apologize, please forward me along and I'll dig into it.

Also, since I have your attention, what do you recommend as a stable (and easy to setup) PVR backend for HDHomerun on the Shield? It's not something I'll use a lot but it would be a nice to have.

thanks again
@Lucas Rey, see this thread. With Kaby Lake (or Apollo Lake), you should get full MVC 3D + full 4K (with 10-bit and HEVC h/w decoding support).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Matt Devo & hdmkv thanks both for reply,
I'm checking the Kabi Lake 7h gen devices, MSI Cubi2 and GIGABYTE BRIX should be already available on market, I have only to add an IR adapter to use my Harmony Remote. I also understand that Intel HD Graphics 620 is able to handle 3D without problem (am I right?).

What is not clear for me is if this Kodi fork:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266316
I can play FULL 3D ISO without using external player (as I wrote I'm currently using ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre but is not properly confortable since my remote is not able to handle all commands (just play, pause, stop...)
(2016-11-17, 10:31)Lucas Rey Wrote: Matt Devo & hdmkv thanks both for reply,
I'm checking the Kabi Lake 7h gen devices, MSI Cubi2 and GIGABYTE BRIX should be already available on market, I have only to add an IR adapter to use my Harmony Remote. I also understand that Intel HD Graphics 620 is able to handle 3D without problem (am I right?).

What is not clear for me is if this Kodi fork:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266316
I can play FULL 3D ISO without using external player (as I wrote I'm currently using ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre but is not properly confortable since my remote is not able to handle all commands (just play, pause, stop...)

correct - no external player is used/needed
  • 63(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28