• 73(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
I'm purchasing my first android media player, but not completely aware of all the TV options..
I was looking at the Minix Neo U1, skystream one and Wetek Play 2 as they seem comparable and are priced about the same presently. I was looking at the Wektek because it advertises the tuners and pvr capability.. but Im not sure if I could get the same content with Kodi using Minix and apps/IPTV? I haven't tried Iptv yet..
Any advise between these two if I want to watch current TV shows and have a good PVR option? The PVR seemed limiting with that Wetek; only able to record one at a time?
Another box was Evolvetv (8100) but it's double the price.
Why are you insistent on android?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I use plex on windows, see my bros android box and would like the same. Cable bills are too high and channels suck... the usual reasons!
FI am looking for a small box (size about a Android TV box) which able to handle x264 10bit and hevc, is there any suggestion? I found most soc not able to hardware decode x264 10bit, and I don't know those Intel base Chromebox fast enough for software decide.
I heard that some rockchip able to hardware decode x264 10bit but some say it not smooth at all, did anyone have experience on those soc?
(2016-12-29, 14:35)DummyPLUG Wrote: FI am looking for a small box (size about a Android TV box) which able to handle x264 10bit and hevc, is there any suggestion? I found most soc not able to hardware decode x264 10bit, and I don't know those Intel base Chromebox fast enough for software decide.
I heard that some rockchip able to hardware decode x264 10bit but some say it not smooth at all, did anyone have experience on those soc?

h.264 10-bit (aka Hi-10P) will never be hardware accelerated, so you need something with enough CPU power to decode it. I recently picked up a Core i7 Chromebox which can handle all h.264/HEVC 10-bit just fine at 1080p (and I have an extra one available since a buyer backed out)
I have read the Pascal Zotac mini GeForce GTX 1050 SC will do both HEVC encoding and decoding and that it's size and power requirements make it ideal for a htpc. Further reading suggests it will fit most big box pcs like Dell HP etc. I see a lot of refurbished, small footprint Dells, HPs etc. at low prices, would adding the GTX 1050 SC ( 2 gb) and linux/libreElec to one of these refurbs make a pretty good Kodi player? Also, if the GTX 1050 SC does hardware encoding, could you set up ffmpeg to encode some videos recorded using TVheadend and get reasonable performance if the jobs were scheduled during times when the player is idle?
I do not know how many of you are watching CES 2017 news, but the new Nvidia Shield will not upgrade its hardware, but it will rely on software and new controllers (alongside some pretty expensive microphones to use with Google Assistant). The old Shield will receive the update, but it will require the new controller to issue voice commands. Nvidia at its best. I am glad I did not buy a Shield. I am pretty interested to see if the old Shield will be discounted.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/01...ease-date/
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
Hi WRXTASY & Kodi community,

I bought the following MXQ S905 OTT TV Box (running Kodi 16.1 & Android 5.1) bundled with a wireless keyboard with mouse-pad, but it does NOT work (freezes & remote control mostly unresponsive) + seems it is a pirate box (mods feel free to remove this link after you've checked specs): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MXQ-Pro-KODI-...1996781925

As it looks like my MXQ S905 OTT box is a lemon it would be awesome if you guys could please recommend a reliable, easy to use Kodi box that I can connect an external hard drive to & play a wide range of audio (mainly mp3, m4a, aac, flac, wav) & video formats (mainly mp4, avi, mov, wmv, 3gp) via HDMI.

Ideally the Kodi box you recommend would have a decent remote control & be easy to use with a wireless keyboard/mouse if required.

Thanks!
Huh
Kundalin,

We own a Chromebox (flirc usb remote receiver) with 3 external self powered hard drives, Wetek Play 2 with ATSC tuner and a Raspberry Pi 2. The Chromebox is the best, the Raspberry Pi 2 is second and the Wetek Play 2 is at the bottom, almost worthless using the WeOS because the ATSC tuner setup does not work as advertised. None of them were plug and play even though the WeTek is sold as plug and play. In my opinon the best box you could get is the i7 Chromebox Matt Devo is selling. ( post 1085)
Just put libreelec on what you already have.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi NickR - thanks for your reply.

As mentioned it seems my MXQ S905 OTT box is a lemon - perhaps the bundled remote is faulty, or the IR receiver in my box is faulty - or maybe there's something wrong with some other part of the box or even the firmware itself (though I did a full factory reset & re-installed kodi-16.1-Jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk - but no improvement).
Basically the box is mostly unresponsive to commands from the included remote control & regularly freezes. The additional bundled wireless keyboard would not pair either.

So unless someone in the Kodi community is familiar with this type of problem & can advise an easy remedy I reckon it's time to send the OTT box to e-waste & take the forum's recommendation for a a reliable, easy to use Kodi box.

Any further thoughts considering the above comments would be greatly appreciated Smile
(2017-01-06, 01:46)Pajoe Wrote: Kundalin,

We own a Chromebox (flirc usb remote receiver) with 3 external self powered hard drives, Wetek Play 2 with ATSC tuner and a Raspberry Pi 2. The Chromebox is the best, the Raspberry Pi 2 is second and the Wetek Play 2 is at the bottom, almost worthless using the WeOS because the ATSC tuner setup does not work as advertised. None of them were plug and play even though the WeTek is sold as plug and play. In my opinon the best box you could get is the i7 Chromebox Matt Devo is selling. ( post 1085)

(2017-01-06, 01:47)nickr Wrote: Just put libreelec on what you already have.

Thanks Pajoe

I'll look into Chromebox - can you pls send me link to Matt Devo's post 1085 where he's selling i7 Chromebox?
(I searched but couldn't find it - just one about tips for Linux Chromebox)
Smile
(2017-01-06, 09:34)Kundalini Wrote: Hi NickR - thanks for your reply.

As mentioned it seems my MXQ S905 OTT box is a lemon - perhaps the bundled remote is faulty, or the IR receiver in my box is faulty - or maybe there's something wrong with some other part of the box or even the firmware itself (though I did a full factory reset & re-installed kodi-16.1-Jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk - but no improvement).
Basically the box is mostly unresponsive to commands from the included remote control & regularly freezes. The additional bundled wireless keyboard would not pair either.

So unless someone in the Kodi community is familiar with this type of problem & can advise an easy remedy I reckon it's time to send the OTT box to e-waste & take the forum's recommendation for a a reliable, easy to use Kodi box.

Any further thoughts considering the above comments would be greatly appreciated Smile

If you have a smart phone install Kodi remote app 'Kore', once Kodi is loaded try that as the remote.

If you know someone with the same box use your remote on their box and their remote on your box.

If you know someone who has a third party remote with dongle, try that in your box.
Kundalini,

If you are interested in a i7 Chromebox , the best bet would be to pm Matt Devo, just look at the post numbers on this page and you will see post 1085. There are a couple people on this forum that really get my trust and admiration and Matt Devo, aka Mr Chromebox is one of them. His scripts make for an easy to use very reliable kodi box. As for remotes, the worst remote set up I have used so far is the WeTek Play 2 - that remote is terrible, setting up one of those is a real job. On the other hand, the FLIRC usb remote receiver (flirc.tv) makes any ir remote work good with kodi/LibreElec.
Ok..I've had to deal with some irritating and soul sucking stuff in my life hence my lack of a followup. I've been reading as many relevant topics and posts that I can, but I'm still a bit lost. I would have preferred to figure this stuff out on my own without having to ask redundant questions, but it is time to swallow my pride.
My needs:
HD Audio passthrough of Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS, DTS-HD MA
Play my Blu Ray rips, MKVs, M2TS in full 1080p
Expandable MicroSD storage up to at least 64gb and/or the ability to connect an external hard drive via usb
$100.00 max.

No 4K tv or 4K compatible AVR, so I can live without that.
  • 73(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28