• 88(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Fantastic reply!

I will probably go down the 2GB route as I want something that can handle any future upgrades, just to be safe.

What i need to do is buy a box, and then add the LibreELEC to it?

I like the look of the Tanix TX5 S905X 2GB/8GB
you lost me at February :-)

i have a 55" samsung curved 4k tv and have been using the amazon firestick for kodi, but nothing else. is there something better to use instead of the firestick. it doesnt have enough space to run kodi and all the wanted add-ons
(2017-02-22, 14:34)domov2 Wrote: Thanks for the reply and I apologies for the forum rule breaking in my first post.

Given the impending upgrade, its worth going for the 2GB RAM rather than the 1GB correct? I just want it to run kodi and kodi only. Nothing else matters too me. The AMLogic S905 device option sounds good. Any particular device you would suggest?

Yes go for 2Gb RAM there is very little price difference so it's a non-issue in therms of cost,

Beelink MiniMX (S905), MiniMX III (S905), Mini MX III II (S905X) - Are probably one of the more consistent ones in terms of hardware components. The main issue is manufacturers keep changing the WiFi chipsets they are using, sometimes the WiFi chipsets they use do not have Linux drivers available and hence the WiFi wont work in LibreElec.

If your not bothered about WiFi or bluetooth and your using wired ethernet, this wont be an issue for you.

I have a MiniMX V1 (S905 - 2gb/16Gb) and a Mini M8S II (S905X, 2Gb/16GB), both of them run fantastically with LibreElec - Jarvis and Krypton . The advantage that the S905 devices have over the S905X is Gigabit Ethernet vs 100meg Ethernet on the S905X. So if you don't need HDR or VP9 support S905 fits the bill.

But S905 devices are difficult to get hold of these days due to manufacturers moving onto S905 and S912 based devices. make sure you read the threads over on the LibreElec forums to see which devices are reported to be working well with Kszaqs LibreElec builds. The key here is to doing your reading and research beforehand so yuo make an informed purchase on your device. Dont buy any random device and expect it to work. Avoid all S912 devices , LibreElec is not working on this SOC,.
(2017-02-23, 12:57)gsmtech Wrote:
(2017-02-22, 14:34)domov2 Wrote: Thanks for the reply and I apologies for the forum rule breaking in my first post.

Given the impending upgrade, its worth going for the 2GB RAM rather than the 1GB correct? I just want it to run kodi and kodi only. Nothing else matters too me. The AMLogic S905 device option sounds good. Any particular device you would suggest?

Yes go for 2Gb RAM there is very little price difference so it's a non-issue in therms of cost,

Beelink MiniMX (S905), MiniMX III (S905), Mini MX III II (S905X) - Are probably one of the more consistent ones in terms of hardware components. The main issue is manufacturers keep changing the WiFi chipsets they are using, sometimes the WiFi chipsets they use do not have Linux drivers available and hence the WiFi wont work in LibreElec.

If your not bothered about WiFi or bluetooth and your using wired ethernet, this wont be an issue for you.

I have a MiniMX V1 (S905 - 2gb/16Gb) and a Mini M8S II (S905X, 2Gb/16GB), both of them run fantastically with LibreElec - Jarvis and Krypton . The advantage that the S905 devices have over the S905X is Gigabit Ethernet vs 100meg Ethernet on the S905X. So if you don't need HDR or VP9 support S905 fits the bill.

But S905 devices are difficult to get hold of these days due to manufacturers moving onto S905 and S912 based devices. make sure you read the threads over on the LibreElec forums to see which devices are reported to be working well with Kszaqs LibreElec builds. The key here is to doing your reading and research beforehand so yuo make an informed purchase on your device. Dont buy any random device and expect it to work. Avoid all S912 devices , LibreElec is not working on this SOC,.

Superb!

Based on the above information and the posts over on the forums that wrxtasy posted. Ive decided to go with the one posted below. It appeaers as if it matches up with everything mentioned in my posts

Very helpful indeed. Thanks for the hints teams

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1982.html
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-5274.html

Link to box ive purchased.
Total newbie to the world of Kodi and it's a mind-boggling choice to look at, even with the summary on page 1. I'm very PC-savvy but the terms I'm reading are like double Dutch, total new world.

I have a whole stack of films and TV programmes (over 20TB), currently on a Linux Mint PC but soon to be transferred over to an unRAID NAS I'll be building soon which will be my media server. I don't have or want 3D and I doubt I'll move anytime soon to 4K but who knows about that? TV is HD but not 4K and I use a Freesat Humax box. All my stuff is networked together with a Win10 laptop and Win 7 desktop.

I want to use Kodi to stream and looking at some of the things that unRAID can do, it might be nice to add some dockers to the NAS for things like VPN and torrent downloads, possibly Plex. As regards the Kodi, not ruling out adding in apps as I learn what I'm doing and what can be done. But I don't have or want Amazon/Netflix or any of those commercial subscription based channels. Not into gaming either.

A pal of mine is using a Venztech K1 (from Scan in the UK at around £40) and he swears by it but I notice online they have a newish model the Venz V10 Pro available (http://venztech.com/v10pro/). Not seen it discussed here so I'm wondering if there are any thoughts about it?

Finally, I suppose the nVIDIA Shield is the closest match on the list on page 1 for my requirements but I can't stand the look of it, ****ing ugly flashy thing that it is. I just want a regular looking box that does its job unostentatiously (if that's a word)! But it seems to be good for what it claims to do.

Ooh decisions, decisions.....
Docker support = LibreELEC

Plex for Kodi:
https://kodi.tv/plex-add-on-for-kodi/

If you want to Transcode with a Plex Server - get a decent Intel machine, throw LibreELEC on it. Apollo Lake onwards would be the recommendation for Hardware decoding of 10bit HEVC. This will future proof you a bit.

Otherwise get what everyone else is using a 2GB AMLogic S905 for LibreELEC. Will play anything you throw at it.
Plenty of options available - Officially LibreELEC supported devices are in Post #1

Android Amlogic Boxes will not work that well for Kodi vs LibreELEC S905 devices.

(2017-02-23, 13:49)domov2 Wrote:
(2017-02-23, 12:57)gsmtech Wrote:

Superb!

Based on the above information and the posts over on the forums that wrxtasy posted. Ive decided to go with the one posted below. It appeaers as if it matches up with everything mentioned in my posts

The box you've linked looks like it is a Mini M8S II which has been rebranded , in terms of hardware it's a good fast box I own the same device (standard Mini M8S II), there is a very good custom android ROM available for this device on Freaktab called Xannytech XT Rom. It also runs LibreElec very well the EMMC on this box is faster than my MiniMX v1. Only single band WiFi though (2.4ghz only) and 100 meg Ethernet (not Gig).

Still if your using wired Ethernet, and your not playing the highest bitrate 4K videos, you wont have any issues from the WiFi or 100 meg Ethernet. The majority of people will have no issues. it's a very nice little box for LibreElec. Thee stock android build is pretty crappy, but easily replaceable with Xannytech XT ROM which is miles better. being a S905X device you have VP9 and HDR support too so there's some future proofing in comparison to S905 which doesn't support VP9 or HDR.
Thanks for the response. Once it arrives, from my understanding i need to add the Xannytech XT ROM and add LibreElec. Is this correct? Is there anything else I need to do before I add kodi?
(2017-02-23, 18:48)gsmtech Wrote:
(2017-02-23, 13:49)domov2 Wrote:
(2017-02-23, 12:57)gsmtech Wrote: Yes go for 2Gb RAM there is very little price difference so it's a non-issue in therms of cost,

Superb!

The box you've linked looks like it is a Mini M8S II which has been rebranded , in terms of hardware it's a good fast box I own the same device (standard Mini M8S II), there is a very good custom android ROM available for this device on Freaktab called Xannytech XT Rom. It also runs LibreElec very well the EMMC on this box is faster than my MiniMX v1. Only single band WiFi though (2.4ghz only) and 100 meg Ethernet (not Gig).

Still if your using wired Ethernet, and your not playing the highest bitrate 4K videos, you wont have any issues from the WiFi or 100 meg Ethernet. The majority of people will have no issues. it's a very nice little box for LibreElec. Thee stock android build is pretty crappy, but easily replaceable with Xannytech XT ROM which is miles better. being a S905X device you have VP9 and HDR support too so there's some future proofing in comparison to S905 which doesn't support VP9 or HDR.

Thanks for the response. Once it arrives, from my understanding i need to add the Xannytech XT ROM and add LibreElec. Is this correct? Is there anything else I need to do before I add kodi?
I'm sure you can go straight ahead and just install libreelec on if ya only want kodi. ?
OK, thanks for the reply.
OP was awesome and packed with a ton of information

I've went from FireStick >> T95Z >> ?

I am absolutely torn on what my upgrade should be. I'm not happy with the T95Z and looking at my next upgrade.

The Chromebox really intrigues me and the guides to setting up Dual boot with LibreElec are laid out very nicely.

Nvidia Shield - Pretty much Ready to go just installation of apps - Although I barely use Netflix and haven't tried Plex

I just want hardware that runs fast and limits the buffer. I have good internet speeds, although they have dropped a bit since VPN but nothing terrible.
(2017-02-23, 19:07)domov2 Wrote:
(2017-02-23, 18:48)gsmtech Wrote:
(2017-02-23, 13:49)domov2 Wrote: Superb!

You can just install Kodi directly from the google play store if you wish, (install SPMC instead it's optimized for Android). But for the best Kodi experience with the bugs fixed like automatic refresh rate, audio passthrough etc...you need LibreElec.
The XannyTech XT ROM was mentioned as it's much better and faster than the stock android ROM, but you dont have to install it, if you all want is Kodi
So, I bought the Xiaomi Mi and set it up. BUT, the picture quality was horrible when compared to my Openelec running on a Radeon HD5450. I tried to improve it but there are limited video controls in Kodi and sharpness is missing. The Xiaomi Mi was hooked up to a 4k Samsung, output DTS-HD to Onkyo NR616, and seemed great but lost me after testing out Kodi on it. Is this par for the course with android boxes and should I not bother looking at these in the future?
"horrible" is not a technical term. Please explain.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 88(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28