• 99(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-04-04, 18:56)lama0900 Wrote: Hi wrxtasy,

I know this is a "pick the right kodi BOX"-thread,
but I don't wanted to create a new thread, because my question is related to those boxes:

Are there any remotes with changeable battery, 2.4GHz and headphone jack (and as superior version with learnable IR functions?)
The Rii i25A does the audio part but does not have changeable batteries and no IR (learning).
Mele F10 Deluxe does not have headphone jack neither changeable batteries, but has IR learning.

Anything between these?!

Thank you.

Be aware..
I've never seen anyone test a Wireless Remote with Headphone funtionality on any AMLogic LibreELEC device.
I'm not even sure headphone output will work at all with LibreELEC.

(2017-04-04, 19:22)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-04-04, 18:56)lama0900 Wrote: Hi wrxtasy,

I know this is a "pick the right kodi BOX"-thread,
but I don't wanted to create a new thread, because my question is related to those boxes:

Are there any remotes with changeable battery, 2.4GHz and headphone jack (and as superior version with learnable IR functions?)
The Rii i25A does the audio part but does not have changeable batteries and no IR (learning).
Mele F10 Deluxe does not have headphone jack neither changeable batteries, but has IR learning.

Anything between these?!

Thank you.

Be aware..
I've never seen anyone test a Wireless Remote with Headphone funtionality on any AMLogic LibreELEC device.
I'm not even sure headphone output will work at all with LibreELEC.

So get bluetooth? That should even work with Android and LibreELEC (should support bluetooth a2dp?)
NVIDIA Shield Remote could do that job, besides for IR learning, am I right?
(2017-04-04, 01:02)ex_directory Wrote:
(2017-04-03, 22:12)nickr Wrote:
(2017-04-03, 11:24)JohnWB Wrote: Would the ODROID C2 work any better than, say the Wetek Hub (or Play2) if both were using LibreELEC.

I guess either would do full HD Audio and 1080p / 4K - 10bit HEVC(H265) Hardware decoding and HDMI 2.0.

Would you only go for the ODROID C2 if you didn't mind doing the hands on work to get it going, or if you wanted to save money.
There is no hands on work in getting it going. Flash emmc, plug in emmc, power and hdmi, job done.

I assume you are referring to the c2.

What remote control are you using?
Harmony elite via bluetooth. But every bluetooth remote I tried worked immediately it was paired through libreelec settings.

And yes I had to add a bt dongle I had lying around.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have *just* found that Popcorn/NMJ, while acceptable for a movie library, doesn't cut it (for me) for a large music library. So that caused me to search .... and land here.

Tell me if I have this right - for no transcoding or HW decoding, I can buy a Celeron/Pentium Intel NUC and I am good to go with Kodi??

Jeff
Does the wetek hub do Netflix hd the same res as firetv2? I want a dedicated kodi box and have a firetv 2, so if this is the case I will just get a C2.
Yes new Marshmallow Firmware on the Hub will allow you to play the Android TV version of Netflix up to 1080p/4K BUT with 2.0 Audio only.

WeTek keep telling us its 5.1 Audio but both myself and numerous others now are only getting 2.0 Audio with various AVR's and DD+ capable TV's.

Your FireTV2 box appears from what I have read, to have better DD+ Android Apps Audio support than all other Android Boxes on the market.
There is no Amazon Video on the Hub.

Android Kodi Krypton on AMLogic has numerous bugs - you are far better off using LibreELEC Kodi.

(2017-04-06, 22:23)pepar Wrote: I have *just* found that Popcorn/NMJ, while acceptable for a movie library, doesn't cut it (for me) for a large music library. So that caused me to search .... and land here.

Tell me if I have this right - for no transcoding or HW decoding, I can buy a Celeron/Pentium Intel NUC and I am good to go with Kodi??

Jeff
Yes that is correct for Audio. You will get HD Audio passthrough (no transcoding) on Intel NUC's and Hi-Res Audio like FLAC's will be decoded by Kodi and output as Bit Perfect, Multichannel 24bit/192kHz Audio to your AVR with no loss in Audio quality.

Stay away from anything Android if you are an Audio Geek, there was a Hi-Res Android Audio limitations discussion HERE

For video if you want Hardware decoding of the HEVC(H265) compression standard you are looking at Intel Apollo or Kaby Lake Intel Microarchitecture or ARM AMLogic S905 platforms running LibreELEC Kodi, which also have no audio limitations.

However - Be aware you need to do detailed research about new Intel "Lake" architecture. Since the introduction of a Display Port to HDMI 2.0 converter chips on some platforms there are all sorts of Audio problems. Ask in relevant thread about such issues.

Android tv boxes are computers, low powered computers, but computers all the same. So you should look at the hardware, The more ram in the computer, the better the computer will perform. The larger the the drive, the more storage you can use on the computer. This applies to both the built in drive MMC and the SD card you can insert. Because the power supply is usually only two amps, that is barely enough to power the tv box and most likely will not power an unpowered external drive or hub. If you attach a powered external drive or hub, turn the power on to the external drive or hub before powering up the tv box.

My experience with a 2GB ram tv box was unsatisfactory, KODI ran with some problems, like on a large sized movie over 5GB, the tv box would restart once in a while. With a 3GB ram tv box, it ran very well, but I still have to attach a powered external drive or hub before powering on the tv box, then power up the drive or hub, then power the tv box. I use a powered hub and four powered external drives and the tv box can access the external drives with no problem.

The newer the version of Android in the box makes a world of difference too. Running Android 6 and KODI 17.1 is a very good combination, but I also recommend 3 GB or more of ram, from my experience.

I think Smart tvs are not a good buy. You will save money buying a tv box and upgrading every couple of years to get newer hardware and the latest version of Android, than trying to upgrade a Smart tv.

BigJRM
These views are from my experience, so I wish you the best of luck with your decisions.
Is this the correct c2 shopping list for a LE only setup?

Odroid C2
Power supply
16gb eMMC card
C2 case
Minix A2 lite wireless remote

I will use gigE for network connection
I will also use a harmony remote with hub I have
I will also use a spare hdmi cable lying around!

C2 U.K. Supplier is £93, about $110.
Minix remote is £20 extra
Do not forget the eMMC card adapter that then piggy backs into a microSDHC to SD card adapter. And that whole setup plugs into a PC.
16GB may be overkill unless you have a pretty large Library. Its whatever you are comfortable with in the end.

I've also been told this £17 OSMC RF remote works with LE boxes:

https://osmc.tv/store/product/osmc-remote-control/

Other options if you wanted more BT and WiFi connectivity are the £95 MINIX U1

The only issue is you not be able to use your Harmony IR remote as @kszaq the LE developer uses the alternate IR AMLogic receiver method. A Wireless MINIX A2 remote would definitely need to be purchased.

Then there is also the £90 WeTek Hub that will also run LE really well. Plus give you Android HD/4K Netflix & other DRM streaming Apps in an easy Dual Boot setup.

You don't actually need much RAM at all for LibreELEC Kodi streaming. It and the C2 are LibreELEC Reference Hardware. IR Harmony will work with the Hub.

LibreELEC can be flashed to internal eMMC memory from a running micro SDHC card with AML S905/X Android boxes only. Not S912.

(2017-04-08, 11:33)wrxtasy Wrote: The only issue is you not be able to use your Harmony IR remote as @kszaq the LE developer uses the alternate IR AMLogic receiver method. A Wireless MINIX A2 remote would definitely need to be purchased.
I use a Harmony with my Beelink S905 boxes.
Either:
1. Set Harmony as the original remote device
2. Set Harmony as eg a pivos xios ds (ie something with lots of buttons that the built-in receiver will recognise) and stick a custom remote.conf in storage/.config Guide here
3. Use an external receiver - eg I've used an MCE receiver and a Media Center SE profile on the Harmony. This uses LIRC.

Number 2 takes a little bit of setting up, but all work fine. You can use all 3 methods at once for a zillion buttons.
Guide - using 2 remote.conf files with amremote
(2017-04-08, 11:33)wrxtasy Wrote: The only issue is you not be able to use your Harmony IR remote as @kszaq the LE developer uses the alternate IR AMLogic receiver method. A Wireless MINIX A2 remote would definitely need to be purchased.

LibreELEC can be flashed to internal eMMC memory from a running micro SDHC card with AML Android boxes.

Do you mean the harmony won't work with the c2 or U1?

And from your last comment sounds like the adapter is not needed?
Yes Adapter not needed.

Program Harmony as a MCE Media remote and you are good to go out of the box with C2 or Hub.

Harmony hub works perfectly with c2 over bluetooth. BT usb dongle about $5.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Button pushed on c2, delivery hopefully by next weekend, will report back
  • 99(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28