• 114(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-06-20, 11:24)tmihai20 Wrote: @Alejandro3: It is not recommended to keep your TV box always on, no matter what you buy. I would get one of the Android S905X devices and a RPi as a downloader.
What?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-06-21, 09:08)Alejandro3 Wrote: Btw, saw that the creator of Pine A64 are releasing the Rock64, could this do the job?

Stay away from anything Rockchip who still use non standard Android API's - which is a big no no when using Kodi Krypton.

Your thinking outside the Kodi box here - and that will end up in the pit of doom along with all the other crap Kodi boxes.

AML S905(x) boxes running LibreELEC are quite a bit quicker running from fast Internal eMMC flash storage than a RPi3.
Plus everything is Hardware decoded by the VPU - the 4 CPU's do not much at all when playing video on the S905's.

There are a bunch of AML Utility LibreELEC Addons available from thoria

(2017-06-21, 09:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Stay away from anything Rockchip who still use non standard Android API's - which is a big no no when using Kodi Krypton.

Your thinking outside the Kodi box here - and that will end up in the pit of doom along with all the other crap Kodi boxes.

AML S905(x) boxes running LibreELEC are quite a bit quicker running from fast Internal eMMC flash storage than a RPi3.
Plus everything is Hardware decoded by the VPU - the 4 CPU's do not much at all when playing video on the S905's.

There are a bunch of AML Utility LibreELEC Addons available from thoria

Thanks for the help! Big Grin Do you recommend any Amlogic 905x in particular? Mini, Beelink...?
Help choosing 4K TV Box (LE forums)

and

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

(2017-06-21, 15:18)wrxtasy Wrote: Help choosing 4K TV Box (LE forums)

and

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

If you look at the user on the first post, it's me hehe

I'll check out the second one then. It's difficult to find something reliable under 50-60€.

The Xiaomi Mi Box supports Libreelec or similar?
No - Android TV only and it has a bootloader locked down and secured with SELinux

(2017-06-21, 16:46)wrxtasy Wrote: No - Android TV only and it has a bootloader locked down and secured with SELinux

Sorry to ask so much but which are the most recommended wifi chipsets on 905x boxes? Qualcomm?
Broadcomm 2.4/5Ghz
- AP6255, AP6335 = ac WiFi
- AP6330 = b/g/n WiFi

(2017-06-22, 16:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Broadcomm 2.4/5Ghz
- AP6255, AP6335 = ac WiFi
- AP6330 = b/g/n WiFi

I'll probably go with the new M96X Max then:
http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_649610.html

Thanks for your help man. It's nice to see people like you in communities Big Grin
It's a minefield getting everything a person wants on a dirt cheap S905(x)...

I would be a bit careful, because from what I'm reading the M96X may not have a working reset button which will definitely be needed if you want to run LE from a SD card.

All this type of specific info should definitely be asked for over on the LibreELEC AMLogic Sub-forum, where someone will likely have the same device and you can get specific info.

The best WiFi you are likely to find on an AMLogic S9xx box comes from MINIX.
The S905 MINIX U1 has 802.11ac 2 x 2 MIMO Dual-Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5.0GHz)

(2017-06-23, 12:12)wrxtasy Wrote: It's a minefield getting everything a person wants on a dirt cheap S905(x)...

I would be a bit careful, because from what I'm reading the M96X may not have a working reset button which will definitely be needed if you want to run LE from a SD card.

All this type of specific info should definitely be asked for over on the LibreELEC AMLogic Sub-forum, where someone will likely have the same device and you can get specific info.

The best WiFi you are likely to find on an AMLogic S9xx box comes from MINIX.
The S905 MINIX U1 has 802.11ac 2 x 2 MIMO Dual-Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5.0GHz)

I'll follow your advice then. Hope I find the appropriate 905(x) box... Confused
MOD EDIT before this gets turned into a budget AML thread, post transferred to appropriate thread for further discussion...

Budget AMLogic S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options
@wrxtasy In terms of wifi and 4k playback which one is better: Minix U1 or Wetek Play2?

Are the s905 good for 4k as opposed to the s905x?
I would not be relying on WiFi on any media player to give you reliable 4K playback.

4K Playback really needs to be used with LibreELEC Kodi Krypton because it can give you Auto resolution switching 1080p <<-->> 4K

Best class leading (2x2 MIMO) WiFi on AML devices is on the MINIX U1 that also can come packaged with the nice A2 Lite Wireless remote.

Best value, especially with the Kick Ass unofficial Android TV ROM and real easy dual boot to LibreELEC = WeTek Play2

Only advantage S905X gives is 10bit HDR video output and VP9 hardware decoding. Great is you like HDR test clips Wink
S905X is 100M Ethernet only vs mostly GigaE on S905

4K VP9 Youtube is restricted to official Android TV, and even then only certain platforms it seems.

When you say LibreElec, does that include OpenElec?
  • 114(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28