• 130(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2017-08-26, 03:47)marck120 Wrote: A quick question, for compatibility with libreelec is better khadas vim or odroid c2 ? http://khadas.com/vim/
Either will work. Only C2 can be overlocked & it will also have best HDMI-CEC TV/AVR control compatibility.

C2 = S905
VIM = S905X

S905 vs S905X vs S912

(2017-08-26, 00:18)jonascotch Wrote: But how easy is dual boot controlled? Is so simple as with WeTek boxes?

WeTek hold down remote power button at boot time to flip flop between LibreELEC <<-->> Android. System remembers last selection.
Regular S905(x) dual boot. Boot into LibreELEC first - every time and select "Reboot to internal" from Kodi power menu for Android.

There is no "Reboot to internal" if you use any other Skin then the standard Kodi Krypton one.

Remove SD card with both systems - boot straight into internal Android.

Quote:In my case I need an Android Box with bluetooth capability for connection of BT gamepads for my young kids to play with Android games.
Also, If possible to install LibreElec and enjoy a nice platform for my movie database, while taking advantage of all Libreelec potential.

= AMLogic S905 / S905X box

Android games will run better on a NVIDIA Shield or AMLogic S912 systems due to superior GPU's in those boxes.

Apart from the nice MINIX U9 - AML S912 Marshmallow Firmware boxes are the worst Android / LE devices on the market.
AMLogic Nougat is better on cheap, Firmware unsupported devices.

No LibreELEC on Shield and problems with LE on the S912's.

Quote:I thought on buying 1 box AML S912 for my kids, and an Odroid for LibreElec. But, I couldn't reach a conclusion on what to buy. I made a list comprising Odroid C2 (or other if better), eMMc Android and controller, a power adapter and a case. An airmouse I would buy a Minix Neo A3 (or A2, depending on final budget). But, I'm not sure If this is sufficient.

I would strongly advise NOT to buy a MINIX A3 lite remote. There are a bunch of unhappy users on the MINIX forum complaining about MINIX A3 lite remote wake from sleep issues. (click). A2 is the preferred one.

Quote:Since, and unfortunately, I don't have a lot of spare time nowadays... to embrasse such project, I thought buying a "all-in-one" box that could not be "the best of the best" but at least would allow me to have android to play around with my family, and at the same time, have the possibility of doing a dual boot to LE.

Really for an all in one Plug n Play box you should be biting the bullet and buying a NVIDIA Shield. Dual boots are DIY and can be time consuming, so are researching, adding and configuring BT game controllers.

The MINIX U9 is also a decent Android device (A2 lite remote recommended) , with a strong GPU for games. Kodi Krypton on it runs pretty nicely indeed. Only real issue is rare H264 VC-1 video playback problems. There is also a pretty nice Android TV ROM available for it now as well.

Quote:I give a big importance to a good equipment to run libreElec, that's why I considered buying Odroid, but I also could't figure out the best online shop in Europe to safely buy.
Pollin in Germany stock ODROID gear.

https://www.pollin.de/

Be aware the ODROID C2 does NOT Dual boot. You have to physically swap SD / eMMC cards.

Quote:One big disadvantage of Mecool M8S Pro+, from my point of view, is that Bluetooth is unsupported.
Bluetooth may be supported via a cheap CSR v4.0 USB Dongle - the start of such added BT support is being tested now. Very early days tho.

So where does that leave you if you want cheap S905/S905X + Bluetooth with semi-decent Android, dual boot LibreELEC ?

Researching the Freaktab Website yourself for a S905(x) box with decent 3rd party Android ROM's.
It's why such devices are cheap and called DIY.

WeTek, MINIX, NVIDIA & Vero4K are more expensive because those devices actually come with seller Android / OSMC Firmware support. That ongoing support is built into the price of such devices.

(2017-08-26, 03:57)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-08-26, 03:47)marck120 Wrote: A quick question, for compatibility with libreelec is better khadas vim or odroid c2 ? http://khadas.com/vim/
Either will work. Only C2 can be overlocked & it will also have best HDMI-CEC TV/AVR control compatibility.

C2 = S905
VIM = S905X

S905 vs S905X vs S912

Thank you, you've been very kind, I read the article you told me, the s905x cpu have the advantage that are compatible with 4K VP9 video decoding, the s912 is a pretty good CPU, the MINIX U9 is a nice device, Sin is not compatible with LibreELEC.
(2017-08-26, 04:31)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-08-26, 00:18)jonascotch Wrote: But how easy is dual boot controlled? Is so simple as with WeTek boxes?

WeTek hold down remote power button at boot time to flip flop between LibreELEC <<-->> Android. System remembers last selection.
Regular S905(x) dual boot. Boot into LibreELEC first - every time and select "Reboot to internal" from Kodi power menu for Android.

(...)

WeTek, MINIX, NVIDIA & Vero4K are more expensive because those devices actually come with seller Android / OSMC Firmware support. That ongoing support is built into the price of such devices.

Is the Minix U9-H a good compromise for a custom ROM Android TV and LibreElec (installed on sdcard), together with Minix Neo A2.
Are the only disavantages:

1) rare difficulty in handling some video codecs, when in LibreElec environment? Despite, they can render the movie...?

2) not easy and fast dual-boot, as with Wetek boxes?
Please read this Post near the bottom - I do not recommend an AMLogic S912 device like the MINIX U9 to use primarily for LibreELEC. The user interface picture tearing is likely to annoy after a while. Good for a backup Operating system if you find any problem video files in Android Kodi.

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

The only issues you are likely to have with Android (TV) Kodi Krypton on the U9 are rare Bluray VC-1 video encoded Rips. AMLogic Kodi Krypton does not play well with those.
Android Kodi Krypton also has issues with deinterlacing and Kodi Live TV. On the U9 you can use SPMC (Kodi Jarvis) for deinterlacing and Kodi PVR - TV use.
Android TV - Live Channels works pretty well also with Tvheadend.

Other than that the unofficial ATV ROM on the MINIX U9 work pretty well. Its nice and snappy. We have also manage to get Android TV 1080p Netflix working Smile

99% of AMLogic devices including the S912's are Dual Booted like this (the exception is WeTek)
Quote:Regular S905(x) dual boot. Boot into LibreELEC first - every time and select "Reboot to internal" from Kodi power menu for Android.

Also be aware there is no "Reboot to Internal" power menu option when you use other Kodi Krypton skins. You have to use the standard "Estuary"
You would physically have to eject the SD card to reboot to internal Android if using different LibreELEC Kodi Skins.

More and more I read... the more undecided I get!
I 'm start thinking that I should invest in a separate built system for LE, like Odroid or Khadas VIM.
This way, any S912 box would make my sons smile...

I open the site that you, wrx, indicated above... pollin.de, but I don't understand German and couldn't find an English version.
Are other reliable online sites that sell Odroid or Khadas?

Additionally, I'm not sure of what to buy.
Is the "starter kit" for each on of these devices:

1) Odroid, eMMc Android and controller, a power adapter and a case
Is it necessary any WiFi accessory?

2) Khadas VIM, power source, only? It seams Khadas VIM has already a case (transparent) and eMMC included.

After a quick survey on prices it seams that Khadas will be less expensive (Gearbest has it).
So ive read all the pages but still cant find a good answere.

If i value 7.1 HD passthrough sound and PERFECT 1080p playback with 4k support

is the Zidoo X9S my best bet ? or is there better devices ?
I would not call any 4K Android OS based device - PERFECT - simply because 99% of Android boxes (FireTV2 the exception) do not implement Android Auto 1080p / 4K Resolution switching. Do not confuse this with Kodi dynamic Refresh switching.

And without that you will likely find yourself having to fiddle with Android settings to switch Resolutions to produce Optimal 1080p picture outputs on a 4K TV, and then again change Android settings when viewing 4K content. This will l suspect become a PITA going forward.

Your 4K TV, is very likely able to produce better 1080p > 4K upscaled picture quality vs what a relatively cheap media player can output.

Have a read HERE where NVIDIA Shield owners complain about upscaling picture quality issue when using a 4K Android system resolution and playing 1080p video content. Those guys are the PERFECT - demanding types of 1080p/4K media player users too.

There are further Android OS limitations I have not even mentioned yet.

Personally if you do not need Frame Packed 3D aka 1080p 3D - the 4K HDR / 7.1 HD Audio capable MINIX U9 is a better "pure Android" box buy because it is running a "native" version of Kodi Krypton 17.4 properly.

Kodi Krypton that is installed directly from the Google Playstore. Plus it comes with a integrated Wireless Mini Keyboard Air Mouse remote and has some DRM / HDCP support to allow 1080p Netflix & other paid for Apps video streaming.
Warning here: there have been numerous complaints about the MINIX A3 lite remote - users prefer the older A2 lite remote with the U9.

The Zidoo X9S runs a fork of Kodi (aka alternate custom version), that is only used as graphic front end to activate external media player software. This external media player software is use to provide 7.1 HD passthrough audio and 1080p 3D, which a Playstore installed - native Kodi Krypton cannot do on that platform.

This external quasimodo custom approach can add complications and have problems down the track, because you are relying on ongoing custom support. This is exactly why Team Kodi now require Android Firmware to use standard Android API's if they want proper Android Kodi support going forward.

Do you even need Android ?

A 7.1 HD Audio capable 4K AMLogic S905/S905X running a "optimised for 1080p / 4K Kodi" - LibreELEC or OSMC OS would be a better seamless 1080p/4K hands off media player.
One that does not come with Android OS limitations.
I use this setup with a Wireless Plug n Play MINIX A2 lite remote. Smile

Okey first of all im very greatfull that you took time to reply!

Yeah so you got me thinking new thoughts, So you would think for my needs where 7.1 and perfect 1080p playback is key the Minix U9 would be a better box than my Zidoo ? and then going dualboot with libreelec ? Id like to be able to use both android and libreelec, android for spotify and such apps.

I dont mind paying that extra 50-100usd to get the absolute best box for my needs, what box youd recomend ? great with android but perfect with Libreelec ?

Or maybe such a box dosnt exist, is the absolute best solution perhaps to buy a perfect libreelec box (7.1 capable) and then buying the best android 4k netflix ect box (for apps) aswell perhaps ? and in that case what boxes youd reccomend, im tired of switching boxes all the time so i dont mind spending some cash.

Maybe Nvidia Shield for the android experience since it can handle 4k+hdr netflix (there is no device that can handle this + 7.1 sound right ?)
And then a 7.1 HD capable Wetek play2 for LibreELEC ? or is there better choises ?
To save myself repeating everything over again please read this AMLogic LibreELEC specific post.
Read the AML S912 part and follow the link...

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

Best Android TV Box = NVIDIA Shield if you want to use a whole bunch of Really easy to use Android TV Apps.
Run it at a 1080p Android system resolution if most of the viewing content is 1080p on a 4K TV for best results.

Best Pure Android Box (excluding 3D) = MINIX U9

Best LibreELEC is NOT a AML S912, read the link above.

The Zidoo X9S will not give you 1080p/4K Netflix, HBO, Amazon Video etc. It does not have the required DRM/HDCP certificates you will only get Max. 480p from those Apps with the X9S.

Best DIY dual boot (Ethernet only) bargain = $35 AML S905X MECOOL M8S Pro +
Add a MINIX A2 lite Wireless remote with its own Plug N Play USB receiver dongle and you are good to go.

Okey thanks for putting upp with me beeing abit slow, i just want to be 100% this time since i switched boxes WAY to much.

From everything ive read here and your replies im guessing my best bet will be the Wetek play 2 or maybe the Xiaomi Mi Box...damn it cant decide

thanks alot

EDIT: Hmm im probably gonna buy the Xiaomi box for the android experience, Netflix 4k HDR and 7.1 audio in one box then the Wetekplay 2 for libre elec.
There in no HDR Netflix on the Mi Box. You need to buy a NVIDIA Shield.

In all seriousness just buy a NVIDIA Shield. Far less hassles. Plug N Play and it will be the fastest device of the lot with Wireless remote integration.

Excluding 3D, the Shield is the all in one Android TV media player box.

Wrxtasy, allow me to put several questions, following last posts:

1) Nvidia Shield doesn't suport LE, correct? So pure Kodi, in Android, would allow a very good experience? Nvidia shield is very expensive...

2) Minix u9-h running Android and native Kodi, as you said previously, would also allow a good experience? In my country I cannot find a place where they only sell Minix box. It always comes with Neo A3 remote!

3) Is the Minix U9-H with the Kodi installed from playstore almost equivalent to LE running in sdcard in Wetek Play 2? In this aspect, I'm just interested in playing state-of-the-art codes, as I don't have a powerful sound system.

4) I didn't know there was native kodi installed from playstore and others kodi that were just "fake". This is why in cheap boxes I see a lot, "pre-installed Kodi"?
1) NO LE on the Shield. Shield has good Android Firmware so Kodi Krypton works well. Then you also have Android TV focussed SPMC as well.

2) Yes I can see the problem then. Although I do see U9's without the A3 lite remote on Amazon

3) Yes the gap has narrowed, especially with powerful devices with good Android Firmware - like the U9. As I have previously posted only issues on AMLogic Android Kodi on U9 is rare VC-1 Bluray Rips having problems and some Kodi Krypton PVR TvHeadend deinterlacing problems also.

4) Niche - Custom boxes with custom Android versions of Kodi, long term are usually not a great idea. Koying's SPMC (Kodi fork) is the exception.

Maybe do as you mentioned before...

Xiaomi Mi Box for easy to use Android TV Apps. It has the best simple Wireless voice remote out on the market, and actually gets Firmware support from Xiaomi. Nougat is coming.

4K HDR Netflix - use your 4K HDR Smart TV.

Then pick your 4K S905(x) LibreELEC or OSMC weapon of choice...

Nicest non HDR, S905 combo = MINIX U1, due to the superb integrated Wireless MINIX A2 lite remote.
Nicest integrated S905X, 4K - experimental HDR capable combo = Vero 4K - also comes with a simple Wireless remote.

Yes Wireless remotes make a big difference to responsiveness and enjoyment for day to day use of any media player device.
Something a bunch of box sellers still fail to understand in 2017, even those charging premium prices.

Yes, I know I can buy the minix U9 without A3 from Amazon, but the price doesn't compensate comparing to combo U9-H + A3 in stores. In stores the combo is about 150 euros, but in amazon the U9-H alone is about 140 (without shipping expenses).
I can wait a little bit, to see if U9-H gets a lower price...
The problem of VC-1 in U9-H I think it wouldn't be a problem to me, as I don't use that codec. But, the Kodi Krypton PVR TvHeadend problem is important to me. Will this be probably be fixed in the future?

If I have to buy 2 boxes, then I think I would invest in Odroid or Khadas, rather Minix U1 or Vero, because these last are more expensive and slower for running LE. But, as I already told in a previous post, I'm not very sure of what to buy...

For one moment, and your responses to other member, I thought that Minix U9-H would be a good compromise.

Xiaomi Mi Box if it is blocked it isn't a good choice since sometimes I like doing some experiments to learn new things.
  • 130(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28