• 199(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-12-22, 19:57)xpr982539 Wrote:  I've read many entire threads, especially the Start Here and some of the hardware specific ones, as well as several over at LibreElec. 

You overlooked CoreElec forum? It's a LibreElec fork dedicated to Amlogic devices...
(2018-12-22, 22:20)Sholander Wrote: You overlooked CoreElec forum? It's a LibreElec fork dedicated to Amlogic devices... 
 Ah yes, neglected to mention that one. I've read through multiple posts there as well.  Thanks for the reminder!
On my PC, am using puppy linux to run kodi.

Would like to lower the power use by using a single board computer.

Since I am electrically sensitive to emf, I want a single board computer, that
can be shielded by a metal case.

Also would like to run the os completely in memory, so there is no corruption of the
flash drive. Flash basically becomes firmware.

What single board computer os will run completely in memory?
(2018-12-25, 05:46)Lasar3 Wrote: On my PC, am using puppy linux to run kodi.

Also would like to run the os completely in memory, so there is no corruption of the

LibreElec is based on a read-only system file-system - with a Read/Write partition for system settings (which do need to be stored) and other configuration items (plus the database that stores watched status and allows you to resume watching from where you left off etc.)

I suspect LibreElec comes close to meeting your requirements. It runs on many SBCs.
(2018-12-25, 05:46)Lasar3 Wrote: On my PC, am using puppy linux to run kodi.

Hi,

Minimal Linux capable boards running LibreELEC or CoreELEC Kodi only use SD cards or eMMC flash for Firmware storage and storing Kodi data files like Artwork, Thumbnails, settings. The minimal Linux OS and Kodi run's pretty much entirely in memory.

Such devices are the Raspberry Pi's & the ODROID C2 (click) and if you need HDR10 support, the LePotato (click) or Khadas Vim (click)

The AMLogic S9xx chipsets in the C2, LePotato and Vim. Use a more modern 28nm microarchitecture and hence consume less power vs the 40nm RPi's.
More recent RPi boards also include RF generating WiFi and bluetooth modules.

My C2 for example happily runs (Overclocked) using a USB2 > barrel power connector that can be power entirely from a TV's USB power socket.
The C2 already includes a decent Heatsink as well and can take some decent Overclocking punishment without melting down or crashing.

The RPi's needs a dedicated power supply and special cooling if you really want to push them. They also cannot hardware decode, now common 8/10bit HEVC encoded video content. 10bit HEVC video decoding really heat's them up.

All you really need for LE or CE Kodi is Ethernet and power. Because with those OS's - Kodi can then be controlled from a HDMI-CEC capable TV's remote, eliminating the need for another emf generating Wireless remote control.

W.

(2018-12-25, 11:06)wrxtasy Wrote: More recent RPi boards also include RF generating WiFi and bluetooth modules.

Yes - though worth remembering the current Pi 2B is based on the same SoC as the Pi 3B, but without the wireless modules. (The Pi 2B's original SoC is EOL, so they re-designed the board to use the same SoC as the Pi 3B, though it runs slower by default)

I believe you can also disable WiFi and Bluetooth on a Pi3B (and I think Pi3A+ and Pi3B+) by adding
Code:
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

to config.txt

If you go for a Pi - then make sure you buy the Pi Foundation PSU. It's low-cost and well engineered (some no-name USB PSUs are scarily badly designed, and unsafe) and avoids any undervoltage issues.
I have bought myself a Khadas Vim 1 Pro for christmas now that there is official support from LE and my first impressions are pretty good.

I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.1 in the eMMC and Libre Elec in a MicroSD, i use Ubuntu to download the content to my external hard drives (I have two external powered of 8TB and one Portable of 2TB). I reboot later to Libre Elec and i am good to start watching.

I bought the Khadas remote, but i can control Kodi with the one of my TV.

I have had no issues beyond me learning to configure the mounting points for my hard drives. I am going to add a USB Hub cause the Vim only has two USB ports.

My first impression is so good i think i am going to buy a second one, now my ATV 4K is being put to a side.
Just got an Xbox X, it’s stellar for x.265 video but need Kodi for my ISO blu-Ray rip files.

When will Kodi be updated for the X?
(2018-12-28, 04:15)YoJoe Wrote: Just got an Xbox X, it’s stellar for x.265 video but need Kodi for my ISO blu-Ray rip files.

Very first post in THIS sub-forum

(2018-12-28, 06:08)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-12-28, 04:15)YoJoe Wrote: Just got an Xbox X, it’s stellar for x.265 video but need Kodi for my ISO blu-Ray rip files.

Very first post in THIS sub-forum 

Thanks!!

If you were ONLY concerned with streaming from external HDD.... x264, HEVC and ISO files, do you think one of the cheaper Android boxes  like a GooBand Doo or Mibox would be my best bet?

Money not a big issue but would LOVE to spend less than $80
Hello

Do you guys have any opinion regarding the COOD-E TV 4K player? http://www.cood-e.eu/shop/products/cood-e-tv-4k.html

Heres what they say on the homepage:
"Powered by the latest technology from AMLOGIC, the S912 Octa Core chipset gives the COOD-E TV 4K an astonishing performance. Enjoy super smooth playback of 4K Ultra HD videos at 60 frames with support for HDR 10 bit and listen to crystal clear HD Audio. 

The COOD-E TV 4K runs the latest version of Android 7 Nougat, which provides you with all your favorite applications from the app store right on TV. With its WIDEVINE Level 1 DRM security the COOD-E TV provides you YouTube 4K and Netflix 1080P. 

The COOD-E TV is developed in Europe and during production only premium materials and components are used. The hard and software are optimized for each other and the COOD-E TV 4K has a brand new user interface that lets you control the device in an easy and convenient way. 

Via the build in Gigabit LAN, AC Wireless and Bluetooth 4.0 you can stream all your favorite content from your local network, the internet and even from your tablet or phone right to your TV. The USB port and TF card slot makes it possible to connect an external HDD or plug in your micro SD card. "

Does this seem like a proper media player? Im after a box able to play 4K HDR (converted to 1080p SDR) over network with proper audio passthrough for all surround formats. I also use Netflix wich this box seem to support.

I first tried Xbox One S as a complete media centre but the lack of audio passthrough and automatic audio switching leaves it lacking. So to me it doesnt matter if Kodi is working or not since xbox doesnt allow passthorugh (ie no Atmos etc)
Very good for 4K bluray now since the latest update. Really good HDR to SDR conversion as far as I can tell. Plays 4K movies over network using the Xbox Film&TV app but there is no way of knowing if the sound is getting through OK. Also it lack support for many codecs.
seems expensive for this kind of box, gearbest tends to be cheaper

I would be absolutely certain, this will play netfix. If you head over to the freaktab forums, it seems that some boxes are not netflix certified, even if they say they are.
The COOD-E TV 4K is in the same price range as the vero 4K+ but seem to have better hardware?
Quote:. I also use Netflix wich this (COOD-E TV) box seem to support.

I seriously doubt you can run the 1080p version of Android TV Netflix App on this box.
I do not even believe this device will be Netflix Approved or Google Certified which are very much must have requirements for Netflix these days.

Netflix have had a crackdown recently and you now must have legit device certifications to be able to use the App.

It seems really expensive for a basic S912 Amlogic Android device as well.

Don’t believe the bullshit advertising.

(2018-12-29, 00:16)kraniet Wrote: The COOD-E TV 4K is in the same price range as the vero 4K+ but seem to have better hardware?
The Vero 4K+ developer is @Sam.Nazarko and he is a regular poster here and at the OSMC forums.  He is highly engaged with his end users and you can talk to him.  OSMC, the OS that the Vero 4K+ runs Kodi on, and the bundled Kodi are updated regularly by Sam.

Good luck finding a COOD-E TV developer here and being able to talk to them...  

The difference between the S905D and S912 hardware is not massive in Kodi terms. However the difference in support between the two platforms is likely to be quite big. 

I'd always chose a platform with better support over a platform with better hardware.  All the specs in the world are pointless if you don't get OS updates and nobody is actively developing and improving your platform after you've bought it. (So many of these no-name boxes are stuck with the OS release you get with them, and not ever updated after purchase)
  • 199(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28