• 211(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
how is shield for xbmc/kodi now for de-interlacing of 480p? i have dvds the 480p stuff that i ripped to files and i have my blurays i buy and rip to 1080p mkv,s i know interlacing stunk on ice  for shield in early 2017 but that was 2 years ago
Dear @wrxtasy, I'm planning to buy the ODROID N2 and I'm a newbie when it comes to SBC modules, I'm attaching my Shoping cart for N2 and I'm hoping you will assist me to purchase the right accessories..

*Don't need a WiFi dongle because I can use the RJ45 port.

*Didn't order a remote control because I was hoping to use my Mini M8S ii RC.

Let me know what you think. Thank you. Image
(2019-04-15, 03:08)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-10, 16:46)thx9000 Wrote: Hi, I'm hesitating between the Xiaomi Mi box S and Fire TV stick 4K. I have a Sony XF8305 and was wondering if the TV boxes have access to the inbuilt cable tuner at all. I've seen so many review videos and none of them shows an actual cable channel setup, only iptv.

We really do not know what you mean here.
No TV tuner hardware is accessible from any externally connected media player.

Plus I would not be using any of the Mi Boxes or the FireTV Stick 4K in combo with any sort of FTA interlaced TV content. Both have major problems with deinterlacing TV broadcasts. Avoid them.

Most IPTV is progressive video encoded content which any media player will be able to handle.   
I assumed that I would be able to watch cable tv and use apps using a single remote and without switching inputs. As laggy as Sony Android is, it's still better than constantly changing inputs. I already have my desktop pc with Kodi connected to my tv. I even have a shortcut that automatically switches from the monitor to the tv at Kodi's launch and back at Kodi's exit. With IPTV I see how it could be very convenient but then it usually comes with its dedicated box anyway. Thanks for the detailed answer, you saved me from a major disappointment AND some bucks there.
(2019-04-16, 10:50)Nimasha Wrote: Dear @wrxtasy, I'm planning to buy the ODROID N2 and I'm a newbie when it comes to SBC modules, I'm attaching my Shopping cart for N2 and I'm hoping you will assist me to purchase the right accessories..

Yes that is nearly all you need Smile

Some sort of microSDHC > SD card adapter is needed too - to be able to slot the eMMC module reader board into.
Then that whole lot then plugs into a PC / Mac's SD card slot for flashing.

I'm unsure about Infra Red remotes. Never use them because I use USB Mini dongle receiver Wireless remotes that pretty much work with everything.
Infra Red remote support would be found on the CoreELEC forums.

(2019-04-16, 16:24)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-16, 10:50)Nimasha Wrote: Dear @wrxtasy, I'm planning to buy the ODROID N2 and I'm a newbie when it comes to SBC modules, I'm attaching my Shopping cart for N2 and I'm hoping you will assist me to purchase the right accessories..

Yes that is nearly all you need Smile

Some sort of microSDHC > SD card adapter is needed too - to be able to slot the eMMC module reader board into.
Then that whole lot then plugs into a PC / Mac's SD card slot for flashing.

I'm unsure about Infra Red remotes. Never use them because I use USB Mini dongle receiver Wireless remotes that pretty much work with everything.
Infra Red remote support would be found on the CoreELEC forums.
Thank you for getting back to me, have a few questions for you.

1, you think Minix Neo A2 Lite will be a better remote for N2?

2, is there a specific eMMC module that I should get because there was quite a few models at the HK website.

3, I normally plug in my 4TB WD drive to my S905x CE box and play the content, it won't be a problem to do the same with the N2 right?

Let me know [emoji4]
(2019-04-16, 17:23)Nimasha Wrote: Thank you for getting back to me, have a few questions for you.

1, you think Minix Neo A2 Lite will be a better remote for N2?

2, is there a specific eMMC module that I should get because there was quite a few models at the HK website.

3, I normally plug in my 4TB WD drive to my S905x CE box and play the content, it won't be a problem to do the same with the N2 right?

2, a 16GB eMMC would be more appropriate
3, no problem there, even better regarding USB 3.0 on N2.
(2019-04-16, 17:23)Nimasha Wrote: 1, you think Minix Neo A2 Lite will be a better remote for N2?

Yes, because then you then have no Infra Red line of sight remote control problems, no missed button pressings, it's more responsive, and after long term Kodi usage the Mini keyboard comes in really handy. Highly recommended. Smile

Mini keyboards are a necessity for any advanced user, but almost all Amlogic boxes need IR signal to turn them on. And that is the only problem I see with mini keyboards.
Thank you both for your input on this matter.
Is there any device that is able to reproduce 4K HDR/HDR10+/Dolby Vision and still do Atmos/DTS-X passthrough using Kodi? Thank you!
(2019-04-17, 16:16)gilsonsjc Wrote: Is there any device that is able to reproduce 4K HDR/HDR10+/Dolby Vision and still do Atmos/DTS-X passthrough using Kodi? Thank you!

No such device exists.

Even Kodi type devices that support DolbyVision for Netflix and Prime Video like the FireTV Stick 4K and Apple TV 4K cannot playback dual layer DolbyVision Bluray Rips and output DV Metadata - the Software support for that simply is not available.

You end up with HDR10 only Metadata output.
Both of those cannot do lossless Atmos/DTS-X audio passthrough either using Kodi or MrMC (Apple TV 4K)

(2019-04-18, 02:42)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-17, 16:16)gilsonsjc Wrote: Is there any device that is able to reproduce 4K HDR/HDR10+/Dolby Vision and still do Atmos/DTS-X passthrough using Kodi? Thank you!

No such device exists.

Even Kodi type devices that support DolbyVision for Netflix and Prime Video like the FireTV Stick 4K and Apple TV 4K cannot playback dual layer DolbyVision Bluray Rips and output DV Metadata - the Software support for that simply is not available.

Both of those cannot do lossless Atmos/DTS-X audio passthrough either using Kodi or MrMC (Apple TV 4K) 

Ok, so lets remove some of the requirements: how about only 4K HDR/HDR10+ and still do Atmos/DTS-X passthrough using Kodi? Is there such device?
(2019-04-18, 03:11)gilsonsjc Wrote:
(2019-04-18, 02:42)wrxtasy Wrote:

No such device exists.

Ok, so lets remove some of the requirements: how about only 4K HDR/HDR10+ and still do Atmos/DTS-X passthrough using Kodi? Is there such device?

Excluding the Fire TV Stick 4K and ATV 4K...

And I'm Not sure about HDR10+ with the following - but virtually all of the devices listed in this post (read the details) can do 4K HDR10 with Atmos/DTS-X passthrough.

4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. (click)

I do know the AMLogic S922X Chipset like you see in the ODROID N2 supports HDR10+, but (CoreELEC) software support for HDR10(+) with auto bit depth and colorspace switching is still under early development. Such a device should do Kodi Leia Atmos/DTS-X passthrough as well.
I also believe the N2's Linux Kernel also supports correct MaxCLL/FLL HDR metadata output.

(2019-04-18, 04:52)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-18, 03:11)gilsonsjc Wrote:
(2019-04-18, 02:42)wrxtasy Wrote: No such device exists.

Excluding the Fire TV Stick 4K and ATV 4K...

And I'm Not sure about HDR10+ with the following - but virtually all of the devices listed in this post (read the details) can do 4K HDR10 with Atmos/DTS-X passthrough.

4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. (click)

I do know the AMLogic S922X Chipset like you see in the ODROID N2 supports HDR10+, but (CoreELEC) software support for HDR10(+) with auto bit depth and colorspace switching is still under early development. Such a device should do Kodi Leia Atmos/DTS-X passthrough as well.
I also believe the N2's Linux Kernel also supports correct MaxCLL/FLL HDR metadata output. 

Awesome! Thanks for the answers.

I will stay tunned on this post. I have already seen some HDR+ movies and wanted to be able to get my system up to date in order to enjoy it. Wink
Posting after a long hiatus Smile
1080p24 and 2160p24 output refresh rates accurate to 6 significant digits. Measurements are from a protocol analyzer that has been calibrated against a <1 ppb rubidium timebase frequency counter.
All devices have the latest firmware. FireTV 4K seems to only output 4:2:2 for 2160p. Vero 4K 1080p24 output was 10-bit (I guess, it is set based on sink EDID).
  • 211(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28