• 219(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-07-22, 09:51)blizzardreign Wrote: Hey wrxtasy, thank you for the help. I checked out the website and I don't have one in my country, so I'll have to look into having it shipped.

I also read from one of your posts recently that the S905X2 boxes are now going to be supported by Coreelec. Would that be a cheaper option for me? Compared to the N2, do these boxes have any disadvantages for my use case? I.e. Using Plex for Kodi to play 4K HDR bluray rips with HD audio including Dolby TrueHD Atmos.

Hi, you would have to read and keep up to date with the THIS (click) CoreELEC thread for specific S9xx new device support.
You might also want to read about upcoming, faster S905X3 devices about to be released in August as well.
They should easily be able to be added for CE support, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2870298

However beware if devices have a locked Bootloader, then that means no LibreELEC or CoreELEC OS can be used. You really need to follow the above linked CE thread. There are lots of traps.

Faster storage, giving faster Kodi scraping, and faster LE/CE backup due to click in eMMC modules, still makes the N2 the fastest AMLogic Kodi Leia device. It’s also the most stable out of any of the new devices at the moment.

CE installing to internal eMMC on cheaper S905X2/3 is not yet supported. Using USB3 sticks would likely be fast enough if that works.
Installing LE/CE to internal has always caused problems for Newbies with previous AML devices when things go wrong.

4K HDR with correct HDR Infoframe passthru with HD Atmos audio support should be all the same with CE Kodi Leia on all S922X / S905X2/3 and A311D devices because they all use the same v4.9 AML Linux Kernel and GPU drivers.

The S922X Beelink GT1 King has Gigabit Ethernet problems at this point in time. Until that is fully sorted out by Beelink it should be avoided.

W.

Probably a stupid question but I'd like to install CoreELEC on my Intel NUC D34010WYK but I'm not sure which device I'm supposed to select from the drop down menu.
Or should I be installing LibreELEC?
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
Install LibreElec because CoreElec supports only Amlogic SOCs, there is NO Intel version.
(2019-07-25, 20:05)Sholander Wrote: Install LibreElec because CoreElec supports only Amlogic SOCs, there is NO Intel version.

Ahh, I see.
Thanks!
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
This whole XElec thing is starting to get nuts here
I've recently got a new LG OLED C8 to replace my old LG OLED full-HD TV, and realised I now need a new box to give me glorious 4K HDR Smile I've been reading up on all posts related to HDR and recommendations, but I can't seem to find the perfect match. As Windows seems to be no good, my old custom build is not going to get a second life. As 4K HDR is the most important part, I've come down to ODROID N2 or the Vero4k+, but I have a few questions maybe some of you could answer?

- The Vero4k+, as far as I can understand, have issues with passing HDR infoframe metadata (MaxCLL/FALL?) properly? Not sure if is still an issue, or even more importantly, will it have any practical consequences? Is it a dealbreaker at this point?
- Considering the low power CPU on the Vero4k+, how is a skin like Aeon MQ8 working? It's the only skin I really like, and have come to wonder if it will be a laggy experience?

To be honest, I like the looks and simplicity of the Vero, but at the same time I'd like the best possible PQ and HDR experience.. well, can't decide Tongue Any thoughts and the two options?
(2019-08-14, 21:27)torsan Wrote: I've recently got a new LG OLED C8 to replace my old LG OLED full-HD TV, and realised I now need a new box to give me glorious 4K HDR Smile I've been reading up on all posts related to HDR and recommendations, but I can't seem to find the perfect match. As Windows seems to be no good, my old custom build is not going to get a second life. As 4K HDR is the most important part, I've come down to ODROID N2 or the Vero4k+, but I have a few questions maybe some of you could answer?

- The Vero4k+, as far as I can understand, have issues with passing HDR infoframe metadata (MaxCLL/FALL?) properly? Not sure if is still an issue, or even more importantly, will it have any practical consequences? Is it a dealbreaker at this point?
- Considering the low power CPU on the Vero4k+, how is a skin like Aeon MQ8 working? It's the only skin I really like, and have come to wonder if it will be a laggy experience?

To be honest, I like the looks and simplicity of the Vero, but at the same time I'd like the best possible PQ and HDR experience.. well, can't decide Tongue Any thoughts and the two options?
Currently MaxFALL/MaxCLL are not passed through. Not all films use this data and HDR has been well received on the Vero
Support for passing through that metadata will be ready by the end of August.

Details re. Aeon MQ8 performance here: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/anyone-using...skin/80639

Sam
(2019-08-15, 00:02)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Currently MaxFALL/MaxCLL are not passed through. Not all films use this data and HDR has been well received on the Vero
Support for passing through that metadata will be ready by the end of August.

Details re. Aeon MQ8 performance here: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/anyone-using...skin/80639

Sam

Thanks for your reply @Sam.Nazarko . In that case, I'll go ahead and order the Vero4K+ right away, looks like an amazing device Smile
Am I reading this right that Apple TV supports ATMOS passthru for local files w/MrMC?
(2019-09-01, 22:40)hdmkv Wrote: Am I reading this right that Apple TV supports ATMOS passthru for local files w/MrMC?

Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3) ATMOS only.
So, it converts standard BD/UHD ATMOS to EAC3 type? I know the type you get w/streaming video are like this...
(2019-09-01, 23:30)hdmkv Wrote: So, it converts standard BD/UHD ATMOS to EAC3 type? I know the type you get w/streaming video are like this...
No, it can't convert TrueHD+Atmos to EAC3+Atmos. It's only for files that have EAC3+Atmos.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
I'm looking for some box to:
- youtube 4k
- plex 4k - but gradually I'm starting to like plex less and less
- kodi 4k (h265, h264)
- 10bit on 8bit screen with correct tonemap (TV can accept 10bit, but it looks like crap, maybe hdmi cable? )
(luckily I stopped using Netflix Smile )
- gigabit ethernet
- be able to display subtitles over movie

I accepted the fact, that nothing will work out of the box Smile - so at least I know I will need to use some adb hack to make UI display in 4k.

For some reason amlogic seems most mature to me, I don't need performance really so I guess s905x should be OK.
That I think meens mecool km9 - because it does have Android TV (without nvidia crap) - any issues with it? Any alternative? Any seller from EU warehouse with good deal? Big Grin

Currently I use Plex on PS4 pro to have only one device - but is super unstable and lot of issues even when I have quite powerfull HW for plex server.
For now I want a box as I'm waiting for samsung q85 prices to come down, as or my eyes that TV is after 10 years+ first not really crappy one, because for the first time in 10+ years, it actually somewhat reduces the reflections.

In the past I tried Sheild TV and Apple TV 4k. So my exceptations are that the 40usd box should be bettery then these, well maybe not overall better then apple one, but definitelly better then shield.

Also unrelated - but I would like to move from nuc server to some internet hosting - do you see any real world disadvantage appart of the hastle of selling the NUC (server) - for me everywhere I would watch there is internet.
Apple TV 4K = No 4K Youtube due to Apple not supporting Google's VP9 codec. Use a 4K Smart TV for that. No Kodi.
However most powerful media player on the market. Most use the MrMC or Infuse Apps instead, both of which support Plex servers. MrMC even has a Plex Skin.

Meecool KM3/KM9 = No Gigabit Ethernet, see Android TV Device Comparison Table. (click) Slower vs the Shield.

Nvidia Shield = does all that you require, just not 4K HDR Youtube, use a 4K Smart TV for that.

In the Android TV space nothing is as fast as the Nvidia Shield, the next best is the Mecool KM3. A Ugreen USB3 > Gigabit Adapter could be added to the KM3.

For Android devices mentioned only the Nvidia Shield has Kodi / Plex auto refresh rate switching for nice smooth video playback.
Excluding Youtube the Apple TV 4K has the best auto Frame Rate Matching for Apps.

Suggestion: If buying a modern 4K Smart TV, use the Apps on that and simply buy a CoreELEC capable Kodi media player, and then run PlexKodiconnect Addon on that. If Plex support needed.

Bang for the Buck for CoreELEC are the GigaE LAN equiped devices - Odroid N2 or the 4GB/32Gb X96Max (click)

Add a Plug n Play - MINIX A2 lite remote to those two and you are good to go.

Quote:Also unrelated - but I would like to move from nuc server to some internet hosting - do you see any real world disadvantage apart of the hassle of selling the NUC (server) - for me everywhere I would watch there is internet.

Most use a home Plex server, for streaming on the go outside the house.

You might be interested in the Cloud file streaming support the Infuse Pro App has on an Apple TV 4K. Infuse is one beautiful slick App. Smile

Kodi also has a Google Drive Addon, there might be others:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Google_Drive

Fire TV Stick 4K also supports YouTube 4K, including HLG HDR, at least using Smart YouTube TV app (must be sideloaded). Not sure if the new official YT app does.
  • 219(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28