• 15(current)
[HOW TO] Library Node Examples
Inconsistent Node Grouping of Singles by Genre and Year
I read the discussion (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...id=2906894) on the difficulties of giving me no-nonsense nodes for genre and year for all my singles (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=356913).
But I noticed that when I group songs by years, one of my choices is * All Albums, which when I click on gives me all my songs for that year. However with the genre node (songs grouped by genre) I am shown * All Artists, but clicking on this does nothing.
This seems to be an inconsistency in the user interface, and I would request a fix.

Thx
(2020-09-17, 18:56)Longtime Collector Wrote: However with the genre node (songs grouped by genre) I am shown * All Artists, but clicking on this does nothing.
Confused what you are doing @Longtime Collector as it is not possible to group songs by genre. The grouping options for filter type music nodes or smart playlists are very limited (albums group by year, artists group by genre), so you had best provide the node definition you are trying.
(2020-09-19, 09:31)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2020-09-17, 18:56)Longtime Collector Wrote: However with the genre node (songs grouped by genre) I am shown * All Artists, but clicking on this does nothing.
Confused what you are doing @Longtime Collector as it is not possible to group songs by genre. The grouping options for filter type music nodes or smart playlists are very limited (albums group by year, artists group by genre), so you had best provide the node definition you are trying.
Thanks for getting back. I've included the "working" version of my years node as well (it gives me *All Albums which is clickable).

<node order="10" type="filter" visible="Library.HasContent(Music)">
    <label>135</label>
    <icon>DefaultMusicGenres.png</icon>
    <content>songs</content>
    <group>genres</group>
</node>

<node order="60" type="filter" visible="Library.HasContent(Music)">
    <label>652</label>
    <icon>DefaultMusicYears.png</icon>
    <content>songs</content>
    <group>years</group>
</node>
@Longtime Collector it is not possible to group songs by anything (try using the smart playlist editor, when type = songs then group is disabled) so the "songs" custom nodes you have created are invalid and will effectly have undefined behaviour.

I know from other posts that you are trying to make music navigation work as if there is no albums level, but I don't think there is a way to do that. These custom  nodes are giving something similar to the standard genres and years nodes, but it is an undefined combination.
(2020-09-19, 23:47)DaveBlake Wrote: you@Longtime Collector it is not possible to group songs by anything (try using the smart playlist editor, when type = songs then group is disabled) so the "songs" custom nodes you have created are invalid and will effectly have undefined behaviour.

I know from other posts that you are trying to make music navigation work as if there is no albums level, but I don't think there is a way to do that. These custom  nodes are giving something similar to the standard genres and years nodes, but it is an undefined combination.
You mentioned earlier the limited capabilities of grouping as having ''artists group by genre'' ... but not album by genre? I do have one album defined for all my songs = the default album ''singles''.

1) I'm guessing it would be difficult to do album group by genre (given there are multiple genres attached to each album)?
2) If Kodi is no good for us singles music fans, can you recommend an app that can be accessed within Kodi that perhaps suits our needs? I would prefer to not have another firetv-level app.

Who purchases albums these days anyway?

Thanks for being so helpful.
(2020-09-20, 02:49)Longtime Collector Wrote: You mentioned earlier the limited capabilities of grouping as having ''artists group by genre'' ... but not album by genre?
Nope. The group concept was not developed with music library in mind, it fits the video db schema far better. Datawise all kinds of things are possible, but it doesn't slot trivially into the way grouping is currently implemented.

(2020-09-20, 02:49)Longtime Collector Wrote: 1) I'm guessing it would be difficult to do album group by genre (given there are multiple genres attached to each album)?
Multiple genres isn't an issue (artists have that too), the data aspect is relatively easy but the historic way that nodes and navigatation betyween then is designed is where fundamental change is harder.

(2020-09-20, 02:49)Longtime Collector Wrote: 2) If Kodi is no good for us singles music fans, can you recommend an app that can be accessed within Kodi that perhaps suits our needs? I would prefer to not have another firetv-level app.
Sorry it seems "no good" to you as a singles fan, it is just a matter of what previous and current devs have been most interested in. The smart filtering of Yatse might might let you navigate songs in the way you want, worth a try.

(2020-09-20, 02:49)Longtime Collector Wrote: Who purchases albums these days anyway?
@Longtime Collector that would be me Smile
(2020-09-20, 11:06)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2020-09-20, 02:49)Longtime Collector Wrote: WYou mentioned earlier the limited capabilities of grouping as having ''artists group by genre'' ... but not album by genre?
Nope. The group concept was not developed with music library in mind, it fits the video db schema far better. Datawise all kinds of things are possible, but it doesn't slot trivially into the way grouping is currently implemented.

(2020-09-20, 02:49)Longtime Collector Wrote: 1) I'm guessing it would be difficult to do album group by genre (given there are multiple genres attached to each album)?
Multiple genres isn't an issue (artists have that too), the data aspect is relatively easy but the historic way that nodes and navigatation betyween then is designed is where fundamental change is harder.

(2020-09-20, 02:49)Longtime Collector Wrote: 2) If Kodi is no good for us singles music fans, can you recommend an app that can be accessed within Kodi that perhaps suits our needs? I would prefer to not have another firetv-level app.
Sorry it seems "no good" to you as a singles fan, it is just a matter of what previous and current devs have been most interested in. The smart filtering of Yatse might might let you navigate songs in the way you want, worth a try.

(2020-09-20, 02:49)Longtime Collector Wrote: Who purchases albums these days anyway?
Thanks for tolerating me for so long. I'll look around for another solution. Be safe.
(2020-09-21, 01:49)Longtime Collector Wrote:
(2020-09-20, 11:06)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2020-09-20, 02:49)Longtime Collector Wrote: WYou mentioned earlier the limited capabilities of grouping as having ''artists group by genre'' ... but not album by genre?

Thanks for tolerating me for so long. I'll look around for another solution. Be safe.
Now that I've had some experience I can report that if you only have singles, fill in the album and albumartist fields with the name of the artist. This then allows you to use the generic music nodes for genre and year. The advantage is you can fill in albumartist for duets as artist1 / artist2 and get these duets listed with each individual artist. Kodi is great.
Custom Top250
I only have singles and would like a node that contains my custom top 250 artists (e.g., the ones where I have the most singles per artist). I can easily tag each song to be included with some identifier. Which fieldname should I create-populate (Top250)? Do I then use the generic Top250 node as described in an early post to this thread?

Thx.
K
(2020-11-05, 20:15)Longtime Collector Wrote: Custom Top250
I only have singles and would like a node that contains my custom top 250 artists (e.g., the ones where I have the most singles per artist). I can easily tag each song to be included with some identifier. Which fieldname should I create-populate (Top250)? Do I then use the generic Top250 node as described in an early post to this thread?

Thx.
K
Recall that I only have singles in my music library. So I "sacrificed" the track field and set it to 125 for the songs of those artists that I wanted in my top 125. Here's the node that gives me my custom top 125 artists = albums:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<node order="40" type="filter" visible="Library.HasContent(Music)">
    <label>Top 250</label>
    <icon>DefaultMusicSongs.png</icon>
    <content>songs</content>
    <group>artists</group>
    <rule field="tracknumber" operator="is">
        <value>125</value>
    </rule>
</node>

I selected my 'Top 125' using the Export feature of Mp3tag (a wonderful music tagging application, IMHO).
I can't figure out if it's possible to make a node like this. I'd like one that shows only songs an artist's featured on, with none of their own songs.  I know how to do this with smart playlists, but only on a single artist per playlist basis. or rather single artist per rule. Which is good if you only want a few artists. But not good if you want to include the entire library. Well, at least not good with the only method I know to achieve this.  Right now the album artist node in v18's showing just the albums from artists and not any outside tracks they're featured on. Which is great, but I'd like one that does the opposite. Is this possible?  The songs & album artist shows both, which looks kind of cluttered to me and makes it more difficult for me to pinpoint featured appearances by an artist. I'm assuming I could make a node and add 2 entries for every artist in my library, one saying something like "artist is not" and another "albumartist is" with each artists name. But even if it would work that's not very realistic for a library of this size, and I'd have to add new rules every time I added music from a new artist.
(2020-11-13, 11:23)quebert Wrote: I can't figure out if it's possible to make a node like this. I'd like one that shows only songs an artist's featured on, with none of their own songs. 
Currently no, but it is something that the underlying database and schema is more than capable of doing. So I would recommend tagging accurately (not trying to trick Kodi into it with bespoke tag values), and then talking to me on the thread on the music support subforum about extending smart playlist and custom node features in the future.

I am already aware that users would like to be able to show just album artists (excluding the featured/guest artists) but still optionally see the other albums that these artists feature on. Something that is currently tied into one setting. Seeing just the featured songs is closely related.
I just learned about these nodes this last Monday night.  How have I not known about these?!?  They remove a ton of things I wanted/requested.

So I made a moods pack that matches allmusic (I also made Occasions/Themes for when that's supported).  This is for the data-nerds that actually tag their music (I use Jaikoz and FLAC) and these work with song-level tags.  Everyone says, "genres are subjective" and "moods don't mean anything", but that's only because you have uninitiated noobs inputting data on last.fm.  Their website is absolutely atrocious but I find allmusic data to be accurate, consistent, and predictable, which is the only way these kinds of things can work.  And it works.  If you're in doubt, select a mood from https://www.allmusic.com/moods and tell me the results don't fit.  It may be time to adjust your Universal scraper.

They are all in this format:
Airy songs Airy albums :
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node type="filter">
<label>Airy</label>
<content>songs</content>
<rule field="moods" operator="contains">
<value>Airy</value>
</rule>
<group>albums</group>
</node>
Just drop the 'moods' folder into your \\library\music folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6jqbk85b1zvhk...s.rar?dl=0

I am currently working on an allmusic genres pack that covers all 1144 genres/styles in a relatively large cascading menu setup.  I'm trying to figure out how to avoid repeating menus and where to put folders and index.xml to make it behave properly.  Like I said... this last Monday.

*edit: I use 'contains' because my MOOD tags are CSV like this: "Aggressive,Angry,Bleak,Confrontational,Gutsy,Harsh,Intense,Uncompromising,Ambitious,Bitter,Crunchy,Gritty,Malevolent,Nihilistic,Provocative,Tense/Anxious,Suffocating".  I'm not sure if IS would work in this case. I'm not exactly sure if Kodi splits these apart, but CONTAINS seems to be working well for me.
I just found out about nodes, and I've been trying to get them working specifically with my movies section so I can then copy it over to my TV section, but the problem I'm running into is the Recently Added is seemingly ignoring my rules and I can't figure out why.

This is what the recentlyadded.xml looks like but it's only including stuff from the /HD and /SD folders :/
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<node order="10" type="folder">
    <label>20382</label>
    <icon>DefaultRecentlyAddedMovies.png</icon>
    <path>videodb://recentlyaddedmovies/</path>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">
        <value>2160p</value>
    </rule>
    <rule field="path" operator="doesnotcontain">
        <value>/media/movies/HD/</value>
    </rule>
    <rule field="path" operator="doesnotcontain">
        <value>/media/movies/SD/</value>
    </rule>
</node>
If all your 2160p movies are in the same folder, filter for that folder. There is then no need for exclusion.

ie
< ?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <label>20382</label>
        <value>movies/2160p</value>
    </rule>
</node>

< ?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <label>20382</label>
        <value>movies/4K</value>
    </rule>
</node>

Use option 1 or 2 depending on how you named the folders.

NB Since you are using path contains, there is no need for the full path, only the part of it that is distinct from the other folders

Hope that helps.
Cheers
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] Library Node Examples5