• 18(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
(2016-05-12, 23:02)wrxtasy Wrote: @Eneko, Dual Boot on WeTek Core / Hub will be Android in the NAND/eMMC and then OpenELEC on a Plug in micro SDHC card. Which can be left permanently in the device.

Sorry wrxtasy, I missed this reply! Confused

Thanks mate, that is again good information to have.

Unfortunately, I really wished it was the other way around. I understand eMMC will be a lot faster than any SDHC card and Open/LibreElec has 100% speed priority over the Android OS for me. But I suppose I should be able to turn it arround myself. I mean, installing an OpenElec is no problem, but installing an Android on the Memory Card sounds a lot more complicated. Undecided

EDIT: I guess it is NOT possible to run the Android OS on a SDCard Sad http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/di...roid-on-sd
(2016-05-14, 05:20)wrxtasy Wrote: I hoping AMLogic themselves bring out a Kernel patch for proper 10bit video output. Kodi has nothing to do with this as AMLogic devices do bypass video rendering.
No idea if 3D MVC will ever make it to AML devices, DTS-HD will likely get fixed I hope as I know it works when running Android Lollipop on other manufacturers S905's. Its not a Hardware or Licensing issue.

Thank you very very much for these statements Smile
3D MVC on AML is a dead end I think. And, even if it did work, it'd be half-rez render anyway.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2016-05-15, 22:01)Eneko Wrote:
(2016-05-12, 23:02)wrxtasy Wrote: @Eneko, Dual Boot on WeTek Core / Hub will be Android in the NAND/eMMC and then OpenELEC on a Plug in micro SDHC card. Which can be left permanently in the device.

Sorry wrxtasy, I missed this reply! Confused

Thanks mate, that is again good information to have.

Unfortunately, I really wished it was the other way around. I understand eMMC will be a lot faster than any SDHC card and Open/LibreElec has 100% speed priority over the Android OS for me. But I suppose I should be able to turn it around myself. I mean, installing an OpenElec is no problem, but installing an Android on the Memory Card sounds a lot more complicated. Undecided

EDIT: I guess it is NOT possible to run the Android OS on a SDCard Sad http://wetekforums.com/v/index.php?p=/di...roid-on-sd
Open/LibreELEC are lean and mean - Just Enough OS's, and as such run entirely in RAM memory with minimal Write operations to external storage for day to day usage. Yes eMMC is much faster than µSDHC cards if you are doing a lot of random 4K Read/Write operations.

What is important on these types of boards like the RPi3 and C2 then becomes actual clocked DDR RAM speed. You can run a RPi3 reliably with DDR2 RAM clocked at 500MHz, the C2 uses DDR3 RAM clocked at 912MHz. Its nearly twice as fast. The soon to be released S905's devices by WeTek will be the same as the C2.

Comparing eMMC 5.0 Flash vs a decent UHS1 / Class 10 µSDHC card like the Samsung EVO series back to back when running LibreELEC, you really don't notice a lot of difference day to day. Bootup times are quicker with eMMC vs µSDHC and the GUI runs a tiny bit quicker. Scraping large video libraries is quite a bit quicker with eMMC as you are doing a lot of random Write operations. I don't do that very often.

You really would not complain though if using a µSDHC card only. 2.0 GHz AML S8x2/S905's with DDR3 RAM are quite speedy ARM devices when running Open/LibreELEC. Smile

(2016-05-16, 05:29)wrxtasy Wrote: Open/LibreELEC are lean and mean - Just Enough OS's, and as such run entirely in RAM memory with minimal Write operations to external storage for day to day usage. Yes eMMC is much faster than µSDHC cards if you are doing a lot of random 4K Read/Write operations.

What is important on these types of boards like the RPi3 and C2 then becomes actual clocked DDR RAM speed. You can run a RPi3 reliably with DDR2 RAM clocked at 500MHz, the C2 uses DDR3 RAM clocked at 912MHz. Its nearly twice as fast. The soon to be released S905's devices by WeTek will be the same as the C2.

Comparing eMMC 5.0 Flash vs a decent UHS1 / Class 10 µSDHC card like the Samsung EVO series back to back when running LibreELEC, you really don't notice a lot of difference day to day. Bootup times are quicker with eMMC vs µSDHC and the GUI runs a tiny bit quicker. Scraping large video libraries is quite a bit quicker with eMMC as you are doing a lot of random Write operations. I don't do that very often.

You really would not complain though if using a µSDHC card only. 2.0 GHz AML S8x2/S905's with DDR3 RAM are quite speedy ARM devices when running Open/LibreELEC. Smile

I have no experience with Open/LibreELEC on a SD Card. I've always run it on a SATA 7.200RPM HDD and no complaints there. Really fast. But even with Class 10 SD Cards in my photo camera with writing and reading from the card it doesn't feel quick. Anyway, if you say it is OK with Open/LibreELEC, I'm sure you are right. So I'll give it a try.

I've been going through my options these past few days and I kind of discarded the Chromebox'es due to the older Intel CPU's which don't provide HEVC/x256 hardware decoding. All of a sudden I have a few x256 encoded files on my hands and my CPU goes up to 80% usage for a 1MBit file. It won't go much higher than 1,5MBit and I suppose the 4th generation Intel Celerons won't either. That is not a good sign for the future. An Intel NUC with 6th generation Skylake CPU would be a good solution but it is relatively expensive and I would not be comfortable having that powered on 24/7. I don't think they are built for that. It's a bit too "Gold Plated" for what I want.

So I'm definitely looking for a S905 based solution. Either in Dual Boot or just giving up on Chromium and stick with the Youtube Kodi Add-on (which currently seems to work by the way, let's hope it lasts!) The C2 is great but I will wait until the Wetek HUB comes out to see at what price they will be selling it. A big advantage about the C2 for me is the 2GB of RAM. I find the 1GB of RAM of the Wetek HUB a bit tight. My OpenElec sais it uses 600MB of RAM. I would like to have a bit more headroom than only 400MB.

On the other hand, the Wetek products give me a more mature feeling than the C2. Very into KODI and Openelec and good support. I like Wetek. Big Grin Also, their new products come with the Amlogic S905-H revision C, which also sounds like an improvement over the first S905's that came out.
Finally got a C2 and 8GB eMMC but I'm having one problem, hoping someone cal help. I installed LibreELEC, loaded up and then installed the CinemaVision add-on and switched my skin to Rapier. After customizing a few CinemaVision and skin settings I rebooted, however everything had defaulted back to Confluence and none of my CinemaVision or Rapier settings had even saved. I did everything again, same problem, even if I only customize Confluence. No settings stick. Has anything similar happened to anyone here before and, if so, how did you fix the issue?
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
I'm wondering if this eMMC has somehow gone into Read only mode for whatever reason. Try putting it back into a PC / Mac and doing a disk repair on it first.

- common issues can sometime be power cord related. A cheap thin, low quality usb->>> mini otg one will not cut it and has been known to cause problems. A lot of USB power sucking attachments can also cause issues.

- other issues I've seen to turn the device into read only are defective SD card readers on the C2.

The only way to tell is to SSH in and post up a Kernel Log: (use Putty prog. on Windows or Terminal on OSX)
Copy and paste one line at a Time...
Code:
ssh [email protected]
dmesg | paste

and while you are at it a Kodi Log...

cat .kodi/temp/kodi.log | paste

Post both http:// URL's that show up.

(2016-05-18, 18:26)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm wondering if this eMMC has somehow gone into Read only mode for whatever reason. Try putting it back into a PC / Mac and doing a disk repair on it first.

- common issues can sometime be power cord related. A cheap thin, low quality usb->>> mini otg one will not cut it and has been known to cause problems. A lot of USB power sucking attachments can also cause issues.

- other issues I've seen to turn the device into read only are defective SD card readers on the C2.

The only way to tell is to SSH in and post up a Kernel Log: (use Putty prog. on Windows or Terminal on OSX)
Code:
ssh [email protected]
dmesg | paste

Hi wrxtasy, here are the URLs:

http://sprunge.us/UdiN

http://sprunge.us/KcSF
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
(2016-05-14, 20:12)Stimmenhotel Wrote: I am following this thread for a whole time now, since I search a new player.
No questions for that right now, but may I could throw a little off topic question here?
Reading 10bit output every time makes me wounder ...
What does my TV need to be suitable for 10bit? Y is there a difference between h265 10bit and h264 10bit (anime)?

I was playing with the madvr on my pc a while ago. My lcd is really old (HPw2207h) but I have seen a difference between normal render and madvr.
Would there be a "improvement" for a normal fullhd tv screen to? (I don't think it really uses 10bit since it is from 2011-12)

letme help you as much as i can..based on my daily usage

1. 10bit media doesn't requires your TV to be 10 bit-spec display
2. the difference (anime) between hevc/h265 10bit and h264 10bit on C2, hevc 10bit played flawlessly while hi10p will suffer random artifact. subbers bonkai77 is a good source for hevc 10bit

unsure on madvr question, but LE do have upscaling features, which i always leave it at 100%, and the difference is damn obvious on SD content, sharper for HD content
(2016-05-18, 18:26)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm wondering if this eMMC has somehow gone into Read only mode for whatever reason. Try putting it back into a PC / Mac and doing a disk repair on it first.

Code:
ssh [email protected]
dmesg | paste

Well, I don't know what I did exactly but looks like it's now saving the settings properly. All I did differently was Clean Library and Clean Thumbnails. So far so good. Smile
Very strange as there is actually a Patch in the C2 version of Kodi Jarvis / LibreELEC to "Save Skin settings immediately" as it was always a problem previously on a bunch of different platforms.

Glad its working properly now Smile
There will be a LibreELEC 7.0.1 version out shortly, to tidy up the remaining minor bugs like 1080p << -->> 2160p Auto switching Smile

Will new Linux 4.6 implemented to libreelec?
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/05/16/l...itectures/

The new 4.6 kernel support s905 chipset.
(2016-05-19, 09:44)envagyok Wrote: Will new Linux 4.6 implemented to libreelec?
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/05/16/l...itectures/

The new 4.6 kernel support s905 chipset.
this would be great! i would love to add T230 DVB-C tuner (Kernel >3.19)

for the Hi10P stuff... i expect most releases switch to HEVC10 in the next 1-2 years as capable boxes get mainstream
some of the hardcore anime fans still jerk around and say "just use a i5 pc" but a market will always follow the demand
LibreELEC 7.0.1 - Kodi Jarvis 16.1

- NVIDIA Moonlight Game Streaming Addon, see HERE for details.
- Auto Paring for PS3 BT Game Controller added + other DualShock BT patches
- Sundtek-mediatv - wait for network fix. LE workaround no longer needed.
- Transmission and rTorrent addons are finally fixed for LE on the C2 and work properly
- And finally I did some Video Axis arithmetic and fixed the Kodi AML 720/1080p<<--->>2160p Auto Resolution switch, video display sizing problem.
*** Note you cannot view 1080i Interlaced TV without glitches when upscaled into a 2160p mode. There is no 2160i display mode.
>>> Suggestion is to leave the Kodi GUI in a 1080p mode if viewing 1080i broadcast TV and just let Kodi Autoswitch resolutions when it needs to for true 2160p video output.

LibreELEC-Odroid_C2_aarch64-7.0.1-Kodi-Jarvis 16.1.tar

@envagyok. there is a simple Geniatech/MyGica T230 patch for the older v3.10 AML Kernel. I will see if it patches in cleanly for the v3.14 on the C2 and pump out a test version if there are no issues.

v4.6 Kernel support is in the very early stages of development, there are still drivers and a whole host of other low level code to be incorporated yet before it sees the light of day. I think AMLogic have seen $$$ signs and increased sales if they get a more modern Kernel. They certainly have a decent S8xx/S9xx SoC's already.

(2016-05-23, 07:54)wrxtasy Wrote: @envagyok. there is a simple Geniatech/MyGica T230 patch for the older v3.10 AML Kernel. I will see if it patches in cleanly for the v3.14 on the C2 and pump out a test version if there are no issues.
This has piqued my interest. What does the patch do?
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610