• 33(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
Sorry, for the double postings, but I think I found the cause for my problem. It has to do with the integrated amlogic hardware acceleration.

With the following settings I don't have the sound drops.

Code:
System - Settings -  Video - Acceleration:

Allow hardware acceleration - amcodec [o]
Accelrate MPEG2 [Never]
Accelrate MPEG4 [720p and up]

Now it uses Software acceleration for MPEG2 (dvd rips and vdr live tv). The cpu load average goes up to about 50% for all 4 cores, but it works. My bluray rips are still hardware accelerated and also work fine.

What can be done to get the hardware acceleration to work with vdr? (Maybe this is the wrong place for this question and off topic...)

Greetings Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2016-06-20, 10:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Sounds like you have an old C1 case. The C1+ cases are also compatible with the C2.

Yes i'll check with them to see what can be done

(2016-06-20, 10:27)wrxtasy Wrote: BTW, what's wrong with the Shield video playback. I've read some users are finding 4K video sync issues ?

With the same movies i add some "lag" visible.
i don't know if it's the right word, but film was not smooth, you can see a little "stop and go" very short but visible

i tried with sony trailers too and there ware huge white trace on the image.

tried directly on tv it was ok (usb)
(2016-06-20, 19:14)hoppel118 Wrote: Can you please describe where you see the buffering? I want to check if I also have this.

i tried the "after earth" 4k trailer and there was buffering on it (2 or 3 times)
(size is less than 2GB so pretty low)

i also tried (for test purpose only) the martian in 4k (MKV around 56GB)
during the movie i had buffering (2 times)

how does it appears :
movie stop and info bar appears displaying "buffering XX%"
buffering length was around 5 seconds
movie then resume automatically

i check and it seems that movies with issues are encoded with X264 codec (but in 4K)

those i tried in HVEC X265 doesn't seems to have the issue. maybe something to explore there

I check on the first page and maybe what i'm seeing is what is called "stuttering"

I checked with media info and "after earth" trailer is indicating :

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 2mn 30s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 93.2 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.469
Stream size : 1.63 GiB (100%)
Language : English
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
(2016-06-21, 18:50)gnzb78 Wrote:
(2016-06-20, 10:27)wrxtasy Wrote: Sounds like you have an old C1 case. The C1+ cases are also compatible with the C2.

Yes i'll check with them to see what can be done

I ordered the black one for the C1+. The quality is ok for the price.

(2016-06-21, 18:57)gnzb78 Wrote:
(2016-06-20, 19:14)hoppel118 Wrote: Can you please describe where you see the buffering? I want to check if I also have this.

i tried the "after earth" 4k trailer and there was buffering on it (2 or 3 times)
(size is less than 2GB so pretty low)

i also tried (for test purpose only) the martian in 4k (MKV around 56GB)
during the movie i had buffering (2 times)

how does it appears :
movie stop and info bar appears displaying "buffering XX%"
buffering length was around 5 seconds
movie then resume automatically

i check and it seems that movies with issues are encoded with X264 codec (but in 4K)

those i tried in HVEC X265 doesn't seems to have the issue. maybe something to explore there

I check on the first page and maybe what i'm seeing is what is called "stuttering"

Thanks for clearing that. I don't have a 4k tv, so I can't test this. With my h264 bluray rips I don't have any buffering.

(2016-06-21, 16:46)hoppel118 Wrote: Sorry, for the double postings, but I think I found the cause for my problem. It has to do with the integrated amlogic hardware acceleration.

With the following settings I don't have the sound drops.

Code:
System - Settings -  Video - Acceleration:

Allow hardware acceleration - amcodec [o]
Accelrate MPEG2 [Never]
Accelrate MPEG2 [720p and up]

Now it uses Software acceleration for MPEG2 (dvd rips and vdr live tv). The cpu load average goes up to about 50% for all 4 cores, but it works. My bluray rips are still hardware accelerated and also work fine.

What can be done to get the hardware acceleration to work with vdr? (Maybe this is the wrong place for this question and off topic...)

Greetings Hoppel

Googled around and found the information that the raspberry needs a special license to play mpeg2. Hardkernel explains that H.264/H.265/VC1/MPEG4/MPEG2 is playable on Ubuntu Llinux (I know LibreELEC is not Ubuntu Linux):

Quote:Does it play 1080p contents well on Ubuntu Linux?
Yes, H.264/H.265/VC1/MPEG4/MPEG2 videos clips are playable with the XBMC/KODI in most cases.
But some variants of encoding options, a few video files can't play well.

@wrxtasy: Do I need any kind of license to get amlogic hardware acceleration for MPEG2?

At the moment the amlogic hardware acceleration works for me as follows:

- h264 - 1080p - bluray rips work as expected
- h264 - 720p - live tv works as expected
- mpeg2 - 576p - dvd rips work as expected
- mpeg2 - 576p - live tv works with one sound drop every minute (software acceleration works as expected)

Another source in the internet wrote, that it may be working with a default refresh rate of 50Hz. But this also doesn't work.

Greetings Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
@wrxtasy: Re: Kodi Video: fix black screens when playing 23.976/29.97/59.94fps using amcodec decoding. #205 (https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/pull/205/files)

Thanks for submitting the pull request to HK. I was able to compile the kernel successfully, but after downloading the two files, I'm getting the following error:
Code:
$ make
  CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
<stdin>:1232:2: warning: #warning syscall renameat2 not implemented [-Wcpp]
  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
  CHK     kernel/config_data.h
  CC      drivers/amlogic/amports/video.o
drivers/amlogic/amports/video.c: In function ‘video_receiver_event_fun’:
drivers/amlogic/amports/video.c:4494:21: error: cast from pointer to integer of different size [-Werror=pointer-to-int-cast]
    frame_duration = (int)data;
                     ^
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [drivers/amlogic/amports/video.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [drivers/amlogic/amports] Error 2
make[1]: *** [drivers/amlogic] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2
$

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
(2016-06-22, 00:14)hoppel118 Wrote: At the moment the amlogic hardware acceleration works for me as follows:

- h264 - 1080p - bluray rips work as expected
- h264 - 720p - live tv works as expected
- mpeg2 - 576p - dvd rips work as expected
- mpeg2 - 576p - live tv works with one sound drop every minute (software acceleration works as expected)

Think you mean 576i? (Apart from a brief period of use in Australia as an 'HD' format - 576p isn't used for encoding in the mainstream - though some STBs - like Sky HD boxes in the UK - output 576i content at 576p over HDMI - as do some DVD players with HDMI outputs)

What is your set-up when it comes to audio? Do you have an AVR? Are you bit streaming or decoding to PCM?

I run a C2 with an Onkyo NR616 into a Sony UHD TV. I don't have audio drop outs.

The use of software decode for 576i content was because there is a bug in the hardware decode for DVD content (MPEG2 in a VOB container) which causes native interlaced content not to be deinterlaced properly. By moving to software decode wrxtasy was able to software deinterlace using YADIF 2x , which means native interlaced DVDs now play properly.

Native interlaced content in Live TV (i.e. transport stream wrapped) deinterlaces fine in hardware on the C2 - it's just VOB interlaced content that needs to be software decoded and deinterlaced.
@hoppel118
I use TvHeadend and have amcodec Hardware acceleration set as:
Accelerate MPEG2 - [720p and up]

Because I find 576i mpeg2 TV channel switching with AML is quicker sometimes this way using SD Software decoding and deinterlacing.
720 and up resolution mpeg2 TV content will still be amcodec hardware decoded and hardware deinterlaced.
Pull up the OSD Codec window with a Keyboard and by hitting "O". You will see ff-mpeg2 for Software decoding and DC:am-mpeg2 or am-h264 etc for Hardware decoding.

No idea what is going on with VDR v2.2.0 and VNSI v1.3.1 and Audio dropouts, I have none of these problems with TvHeadend, both with AC3 passthrough and PCM Audio. As the Kodi devs. say, no debug log, then I see no problem.

We also have no idea whatsoever of your Audio setup and my Crystal Ball is broken !

@CardsRock, No idea, that is not my patch and I'm no AML Video Kernel guru. Best bet is ask in the Ubuntu C2 Sub-Forum, Kodi section.

4K content playback is fine here as well. As I run a quality Ethernet Home Network and use Example 4 of the Kodi Video Cache.
http://kodi.wiki/view/how-to:modify_the_video_cache

I also use this for a PVR Cache for live TV viewing.
Code:
<pvr>
   <minvideocachelevel>10</minvideocachelevel>
   <minaudiocachelevel>15</minaudiocachelevel>
</pvr>

Updated to Test version 19.June.2016 . Using LE with tvh plugin after upgrade I'm getting sound and picture misfires .

EDIT: Will adjust settings as you mentioned in Post: #478
Hi guys,

quick question regarding the C2.

How does it behave with heavier skins? Specially when comparing with a RasPi3 (my current setup)?

Would I notice any speed increase?

Thanks for the feedback
fyi, minvideocachelevel / minaudiocachelevel are no more in v17.
Anyone using c2 with external Hdd attached to USB port, I'm having issues with disk getting unmounted
(2016-06-22, 22:34)lysin Wrote: Hi guys,

quick question regarding the C2.

How does it behave with heavier skins? Specially when comparing with a RasPi3 (my current setup)?

Would I notice any speed increase?

Thanks for the feedback
Yes everything is faster, especially if used with eMMC Flash Storage, you really only need 8GB. Heavy skins are not a problem.
8/10bit HEVC decoding is no issue either. There are no problems with Heatsinks or overtemp CPU throttling either.
Read the USB hardware attachments warning in Post #2 if expecting every bit of attached Hardware to just "work" like a user would expect with a RPi device. Any other video and audio issues are listed there as well.

Can you clarify some points for me , as I'm running into some issues with USB HDD

1. Whats the power consumption compared to Libreelec to Ubuntu Mate ?
2. If HDD gets unmounted in between one of my External HDD the OS gets restarted on its own ?
3. Is there is a GUI to go into command line on same screen ?(I know i can go via putty to IP but same screen ?)
4. I'm running it on 4k TV there is no GUI Option to change to 2160p@30 its only 60hz its there in boot.ini only.
5. How difficult is it to create new addon I'm interested in using qbittorrent for downloading instead of Transmission or rtorrent
I tried the CPU and GPU Temp says 104C ? Is it correct using the latest version
maybe an issue with conversion. doesn't seems right to have a component at 104 C.

should be 104 F (around 40 C)
which would be normal due to passive cooling
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610