• 36(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
(2016-07-01, 10:32)gnzb78 Wrote: The cache is on the ram ? or on the SD/EMMC card inserted ?

My cache is in RAM, or should be, because I used a non-zero value for cachemembuffersize. If I had set this value to 0, then the cache would be on disk. For more info, see: http://kodi.wiki/view/how-to:modify_the_video_cache
Hi guys, first post..

is there's a real reason to get the ODROID C2 when there's the upcoming WETEK HUB? Both will end up around 100$ (OD with all required accessories and emmc).

Thanks!
(2016-07-01, 23:37)ThisIsMyOnlyName Wrote:
(2016-07-01, 10:32)gnzb78 Wrote: The cache is on the ram ? or on the SD/EMMC card inserted ?

My cache is in RAM, or should be, because I used a non-zero value for cachemembuffersize. If I had set this value to 0, then the cache would be on disk. For more info, see: http://kodi.wiki/view/how-to:modify_the_video_cache

have you tried to see if it worked better on the sd/emmc ?
ok, just ordered one, although it seems the Hub is a better deal. With the eMMC, case and PS, it's over 100$ including shipping. i'll set it up with Libreelec. I'll probably get the Wetek Hub as well as long as user reports will come in...

Can't resist unfortunately...
(2016-07-02, 23:02)esloan Wrote: Hi guys, first post..

is there's a real reason to get the ODROID C2 when there's the upcoming WETEK HUB? Both will end up around 100$ (OD with all required accessories and emmc).

Thanks!

(2016-07-07, 18:43)esloan Wrote: ok, just ordered one, although it seems the Hub is a better deal. With the eMMC, case and PS, it's over 100$ including shipping. i'll set it up with Libreelec. I'll probably get the Wetek Hub as well as long as user reports will come in...

Can't resist unfortunately...

The C2 has 2Gb of RAM and for the price you mention a 16Gb eMMC vs 1Gb and 8Gb of the Wetek Hub so I think it is still a pretty good deal. I have more confidence in Wetek as a company and their products look slick but I'll go for a C2 also. The specs of the C2 are just right.
I'm definitely qualified to answer,

C2 is:
  • faster due to running LibreELEC from eMMC, bootup time is ~ 10 seconds
  • Pulse 8 libCEC - HDMI CEC control integrated into both LE and the AML Kernel.
  • better support for externally connected hardware due to its number of connectors and HardKernel community support.
  • 2GB vs 1GB RAM - really not important for Kodi media streamer use only.
  • better support for all manner of IR remote controls due to LIRC patches in the Kernel and LE. User programmable IR as well.
  • Apple, XBox 360, MCE and HK remote controls work out of the box.
Hub is and contains:
  • the coolest looking little A/V gadget I have in the house ! Smile
  • integrated AC WiFi, Bluetooth, a complete ready to go package once a micro SDHC card is flashed.
  • relatively slower running LibreELEC at this present time when running from a SDHC card.
  • better AML Linux Kernel support with updated source code, actively updated by WeTek themselves regularly, which results in....
  • 5.1 / 7.1 Multichannel Audio output with LibreELEC , this is currently missing on the C2 (hope to fix it soon)
  • Revision C vs Revision B S905 SoC (C2), which results in playback of DolbyVision 10bit and fixes Satellite 2160p50Hz HEVC video playback problems.
Stuff I dislike on both platforms:
  • poor remote control support on the Hub, this really is a very weak area for WeTek with their S905 platform(s)
  • HardKernel leaving it up to the AML community to update their Linux Kernel with current AMLogic source code.
W.

(2016-07-08, 05:28)wrxtasy Wrote: Revision C vs Revision B S905 SoC (C2), which results in playback of DolbyVision 10bit
This is a bit misleading statement. Playback of Dolby Vision would suggest that the player decodes and output Dolby Vision HDR which is not true at all. It may decode and play the Dolby Vision demo clips floating around, but it is not post-processed for Dolby Vision HDR. All you get is an 8-bit Rec. 709 SDR video.
I would have said full decoding and video output of DolbyVision HDR if the required DolbyVision hardware was actually in the Hub, along with the required Kernel support.
At the moment DolbyVision 10bit playback is possible even if it is only output as 8-bit Rec. 709 SDR video.

If users are spending decent coin on 10bit HDR displays with DolbyVision support, then the onus really is on them to do their homework and make sure the video playback Hardware has the required DolbyVision decoder chip. You really would have to be dumb not to.

(2016-07-08, 05:28)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm definitely qualified to answer

I bought a C2 and I will buy the Hub as soon as I can. I will add:

C2 has a 30 day warranty and requires some (simple) assembly
Hub has 2yr warranty, ready to use it the box

The reason I'm switching from C2 is its lack of multichannel PCM (FLAC) support - wrxtasy said this may be fixed soon! (although I really only bought the C2 after waiting ages for the Hub's release, at $100 I thought I'd 'have a play'... Smile )

I've been using Kodi for a couple of years and ideally if you have a fairly large movie and music collection with plenty of meta data, 8GB eMMC is probably not enough. Wrxtasy (I think) said its not user upgradable on the Hub. Having said that, maybe I can configure some of the metadata to be saved/read from my NAS - I've not looked at that yet.
You are aware that the Hub has a FLAC 5.1 24-bit 192kHz > 2.0 channel Audio output issue / limitation currently ? (see hdmkv's chart).
Making the same mistake twice couple prove embarrassing Wink

As for Metadata and internal storage size limitations, use an external media scraper such as MediaElch and store all that metadata in individual (Movie/TV/Music) folders on a NAS. This is especially important for as a media collection grows, and makes that collection ultra portable between Kodi devices as well !
Scrape once and that is it. Putting in the effort is worth it in the long run.

(2016-07-08, 07:17)wrxtasy Wrote: You are aware that the Hub has a FLAC 5.1 24-bit 192kHz > 2.0 channel Audio output issue / limitation currently ? (see hdmkv's chart).
Making the same mistake twice couple prove embarrassing Wink

Yes I am aware and asked the beta testers for The Hub with Android 6.0 to re-test the 24/192 5.1 FLAC I provided (fingers firmly crossed). I guess you are a beta tester, right wrxtasy?
(2016-07-08, 07:17)wrxtasy Wrote: ...
As for Metadata and internal storage size limitations, use an external media scraper such as MediaElch and store all that metadata in individual (Movie/TV/Music) folders on a NAS. This is especially important for as a media collection grows, and makes that collection ultra portable between Kodi devices as well !
Scrape once and that is it. Putting in the effort is worth it in the long run.

Yes I'm doing that already, thanks for the input.

The Artist Slideshow seems to want to save locally. I have not yet cleaned out my current NUC SSD used for Openelec/Kodi to see if I can increase drive space, maybe I have unused skins etc. From memory I've used nearly 10GB hence my comment that 8GB maybe too small.
In LibreELEC on the Hub + C2 I've added Koying's Thumbnail cleaner, no idea how much left over junk that removes.
Regardless, just buy a 32GB or 64GB Samsung EVO+ micro SDHC and use LE Kodi on the Hub. It is dual boot after all.

(2016-07-08, 05:28)wrxtasy Wrote: I'm definitely qualified to answer,

C2 is:
  • faster due to running LibreELEC from eMMC, bootup time is ~ 10 seconds
  • Pulse 8 libCEC - HDMI CEC control integrated into both LE and the AML Kernel.
  • better support for externally connected hardware due to its number of connectors and HardKernel community support.
  • 2GB vs 1GB RAM - really not important for Kodi media streamer use only.
  • better support for all manner of IR remote controls due to LIRC patches in the Kernel and LE. User programmable IR as well.
  • Apple, XBox 360, MCE and HK remote controls work out of the box.
Hub is and contains:
  • the coolest looking little A/V gadget I have in the house ! Smile
  • integrated AC WiFi, Bluetooth, a complete ready to go package once a micro SDHC card is flashed.
  • relatively slower running LibreELEC at this present time when running from a SDHC card.
  • better AML Linux Kernel support with updated source code, actively updated by WeTek themselves regularly, which results in....
  • 5.1 / 7.1 Multichannel Audio output with LibreELEC , this is currently missing on the C2 (hope to fix it soon)
  • Revision C vs Revision B S905 SoC (C2), which results in playback of DolbyVision 10bit and fixes Satellite 2160p50Hz HEVC video playback problems.
Stuff I dislike on both platforms:
  • poor remote control support on the Hub, this really is a very weak area for WeTek with their S905 platform(s)
  • HardKernel leaving it up to the AML community to update their Linux Kernel with current AMLogic source code.
W.

Thank you wrxtasy!
Are we seeing a Hub thread & review coming up soon? Is there one?
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610