• 49(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
(2016-10-10, 13:55)wrxtasy Wrote: Warning here !

If this thread starts turning into an off topic Beelink BUGlink support thread I will close it down.

Either take the conversation to the LibreELEC AMLogic S905 Forum or the already existing Budget AMLogic SXXX Boxes thread please.

The ODROID C2 is an officially supported LibreELEC device. In fact a lot of AMLogic LibreELEC development work is originating from the developers using this very box.
In reality all you really need to purchase if Ethernet connected (recommended), is a C2 board, case and a Class 10 Samsung or Sandisk SD card. A lot of people already have USB chargers and the necessary cables. You can easily custom program you own IR remote control too via Lirc. There is a simple DIY available.

Its all pretty easy to get up and running as well:

1) Download the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator App from HERE
2) Choose Odroid C2 > Local Image File > LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.1.0.Aug.img.zip
3) Choose your mSD card and "Write" it. Eject > Insert into the C2.
3) Make sure you select both SSH and SMB connect options on the setup screens when LE first runs.
4) If needed Update using Oct.tar file from a PC with instructions from HERE
5) Enjoy !

I agree it has gone off topic from the original OP, but I thought it was you that moved Vitalero's post here, now you are threatening to close it down.

Rather than close it down it would be nicer if you moved it back where it was originally.

My question to gsmtech is:-

When you say, "The kodi experience on android full stop is poor compared to libreElec", I would like to understand what benefits I would see if I run libreElec on my budget box?

As you have said I could use an SDCard to make the budget box dual boot to try out libreElec, if the benefits are attractive enough to me.

I have used the term 'Budget Box' in restating my question, hope that makes you happier.
(2016-10-10, 14:10)Jeffers24 Wrote:

If this thread starts turning into an off topic Beelink BUGlink support thread I will close it down.

Either take the conversation to the LibreELEC AMLogic S905 Forum or the already existing Budget AMLogic SXXX Boxes thread please.

The ODROID C2 is an officially supported LibreELEC device. In fact a lot of AMLogic LibreELEC development work is originating from the developers using this very box.
In reality all you really need to purchase if Ethernet connected (recommended), is a C2 board, case and a Class 10 Samsung or Sandisk SD card. A lot of people already have USB chargers and the necessary cables. You can easily custom program you own IR remote control too via Lirc. There is a simple DIY available.

2) Choose Odroid C2 > Local Image File > LibreELEC-Odroid_C2.aarch64-7.1.0.Aug.img.zip
3) Make sure you select both SSH and SMB connect options on the setup screens when LE first runs.
5) Enjoy !

I agree it has gone off topic from the original OP, but I thought it was you that moved Vitalero's post here, now you are threatening to close it down.

Rather than close it down it would be nicer if you moved it back where it was originally.

When you say, "The kodi experience on android full stop is poor compared to libreElec", I would like to understand what benefits I would see if I run libreElec on my budget box?

As you have said I could use an SDCard to make the budget box dual boot to try out libreElec, if the benefits are attractive enough to me.

I have used the term 'Budget Box' in restating my question, hope that makes you happier.

Benefits of LibreElec include : working audio passthrough, fractional refresh rates / dynamic switching working, faster bootup menu navigation, and generally smoother than android, less memory usage than android...not that memory usage is really that much of an issue with kodi...
Agreed with gsmtech (for once !) Wink

@Jeffers24,
Have a look at Post #2 of this very thread to see what a well sorted C2 LibreELEC distribution can do. Smile
You will get no where near that number of working features and supported Audio and Video codecs on Budget Android only devices.

(2016-10-10, 14:19)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-10-10, 14:10)Jeffers24 Wrote:

5) Enjoy !

Benefits of LibreElec include : working audio passthrough, fractional refresh rates / dynamic switching working, faster bootup menu navigation, and generally smoother than android, less memory usage than android...not that memory usage is really that much of an issue with kodi...

Thanks for response.

I don't fully understand all the posts about audio passthrough, fractional refresh rates/dynamic working, sounds like I need to do some reading up on these subjects.

wrxtasy posted a useful link to some wiki test files, http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples, maybe I will download and test some of these.

My experience is that given a correct source both my boxes output sound into my 7.1 surround sound system that sounds incredible to me, the sub woofer making my sofa shake at the correct moments. Is it true 7.1 I don't know.

Better performance and less memory usage tends to go with not using a bloated mainline OS.
(2016-10-10, 14:30)wrxtasy Wrote: Agreed with gsmtech (for once !) Wink

@Jeffers24,
Have a look at Post #2 of this very thread to see what a well sorted C2 LibreELEC distribution can do. Smile
You will get no where near that number of working features and supported Audio and Video codecs on Budget Android only devices.

Agreed an impressive list of capabilities, most of which (as per my earlier post) I don't understand and I don't know what benefit they will give me.

To me it's all about my experience, which I agree is totally subjective, my budget box plays everything I have asked it to with excellent crisp visual and sofa shaking audio output. What more could I ask for :-)

Is my budget box capable of all of the features you list, I have no idea, if it was will they enhance my experience I would have to do tests to check.

As in my earlier post I will download some test files from the wiki link you posted and run them.

My understanding is that I could put libreElec on an SDCard and run it on my budget box with some of the test files to see what difference it makes.
(2016-10-10, 14:47)Jeffers24 Wrote:

@Jeffers24,

Agreed an impressive list of capabilities, most of which (as per my earlier post) I don't understand and I don't know what benefit they will give me.

To me it's all about my experience, which I agree is totally subjective, my budget box plays everything I have asked it to with excellent crisp visual and sofa shaking audio output. What more could I ask for :-)

Is my budget box capable of all of the features you list, I have no idea, if it was will they enhance my experience I would have to do tests to check.

As in my earlier post I will download some test files from the wiki link you posted and run them.

My understanding is that I could put libreElec on an SDCard and run it on my budget box with some of the test files to see what difference it makes.

"Is my budget box capable of all of the features you list, I have no idea, if it was will they enhance my experience I would have to do tests to check."

- using Android your box is not capabale of the listed features in the mentioned post, but using LibreElec these features become available, this is the reason for using LibreElec, Yes you can run LibreElec off SD card without affecting your current Android software. if you want to boot into android just remove the SD card.

- Try out LibreElec and see what you think.
Is the SD card optional after install or needed at all for installation of LE? I like the idea of the eMMC storage card. I like what I have read so far of this board, looking for something to put in back bedroom for the grandkids to use and keep there filthy mitts off of everything in the living room, if that can ever be accomplished. thanks
(2016-10-10, 15:47)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-10-10, 14:47)Jeffers24 Wrote:

@Jeffers24,

"Is my budget box capable of all of the features you list, I have no idea, if it was will they enhance my experience I would have to do tests to check."

- using Android your box is not capabale of the listed features in the mentioned post, but using LibreElec these features become available, this is the reason for using LibreElec, Yes you can run LibreElec off SD card without affecting your current Android software. if you want to boot into android just remove the SD card.

OK :-) as I can run it off an SDCard I'll give it a go.

Would you provide the best link for me to go get libreElec and with some instructions, so that I can load onto an SDCard and run on my budget box, don't want to name it in case wrxtasy kicks off again.

I am assuming I load libreElec onto my SDCard, I don't have to change anything on my box and that I can run my Kodi build after booting libreElec. Please let if my assumptions are incorrect.

Thanks for your help

Quick Edit - If it makes sense I would like to stick with stable Kodi 16.1
(2016-10-10, 16:23)Jeffers24 Wrote: Would you provide the best link for me to go get libreElec and with some instructions, so that I can load onto an SDCard and run on my budget box, don't want to name it in case wrxtasy kicks off again.
No need to be paranoid just Yet ! Wink
I don't think I got anyone too worried, kick back, relax and click on the link below where all the buried booty lies...

Dr Google will sort it out for you if you click here !

(2016-10-10, 16:23)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-10-10, 15:47)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-10-10, 14:47)Jeffers24 Wrote: Agreed an impressive list of capabilities, most of which (as per my earlier post) I don't understand and I don't know what benefit they will give me.

Would you provide the best link for me to go get libreElec and with some instructions, so that I can load onto an SDCard and run on my budget box, don't want to name it in case wrxtasy kicks off again.

I am assuming I load libreElec onto my SDCard, I don't have to change anything on my box and that I can run my Kodi build after booting libreElec. Please let if my assumptions are incorrect.

Thanks for your help

Yes, you can load LibreElec onto your SD card and boot your box off the SD Card you dont have to change anything on your box, you do have to the first time you boot libre elec, hold the pin hole reset button on your box to make the box boot from SD card.

I currently run my box the same way, i,.e: I have untouched original androind firmware on the internal memory, and LibreElec on SD card, if I remove the SD card my box boots into Android as normal. With the SD card insterted it will boot into LibreElec.

LibreElec has kodi integrated so it will boot you directly into the kodi 16.1 home page. You dont have to install kodi or launch kodi speerately, LibreElec is a "just enough OS" specifically for kodi. All lnks can be found on the LibreElec forums, under the Amlogic section look for kszaqs builds for S905 devices.
(2016-10-10, 16:14)briand095 Wrote: Is the SD card optional after install or needed at all for installation of LE? I like the idea of the eMMC storage card. I like what I have read so far of this board, looking for something to put in back bedroom for the grandkids to use and keep there filthy mitts off of everything in the living room, if that can ever be accomplished. thanks
You can run LibreELEC off either a mSD or eMMC on the C2 and just swap Em out easily if you say want a bit of Android or Linux OS action.
eMMC is quicker booting by about 10 seconds and slightly snappier, but they are pretty close for day to day use. Scraping a large video library is quicker with eMMC flash storage.

A fast mSD card like the proven Samsung EVO (+) or Sandisk UHS1 Class 10 ones would be more fine. These are the only brands I recommend for AMLogic devices.

And just for a little bit of a bonus vs the rest of the AML S905 LE devices getting about. The C2 now has user adjustable CPU clock speeds, over and above the Hard Limit AMLogic deceptively set. And just yesterday I added a user user adjustable DDR3 RAM speed tweak to LE 7.1.
This allows those with Ambilight and similar devices to use them for HEVC now. A problem previously for HEVC activating Ambilight on AMLogic platforms.

The C2 is the fastest S905 AML LibreELEC box getting around. That great big Heatsink on the C2 helps a LOT.

HardKernel are to be commended for making possible these tweaks and adjustments for C2 users Smile

(2016-10-10, 17:36)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-10-10, 16:23)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-10-10, 15:47)gsmtech Wrote: "Is my budget box capable of all of the features you list, I have no idea, if it was will they enhance my experience I would have to do tests to check."

Thanks for your help

Yes, you can load LibreElec onto your SD card and boot your box off the SD Card you dont have to change anything on your box, you do have to the first time you boot libre elec, hold the pin hole reset button on your box to make the box boot from SD card.

I currently run my box the same way, i,.e: I have untouched original androind firmware on the internal memory, and LibreElec on SD card, if I remove the SD card my box boots into Android as normal. With the SD card insterted it will boot into LibreElec.

LibreElec has kodi integrated so it will boot you directly into the kodi 16.1 home page. You dont have to install kodi or launch kodi speerately, LibreElec is a "just enough OS" specifically for kodi. All lnks can be found on the LibreElec forums, under the Amlogic section look for kszaqs builds for S905 devices.

Where do I find what I have to load on my SDCard?

W gave me a google search suggestion, but it comes back as google does with hundreds/thousands of links, I have followed some of them but all technical, lots of options, lots of problems with fixes and no clear indication of what I need to download.
thanks for the info wrxtasy, I think I will use eMMC as the main drive as you state it is snappier. Well, just about everything is most likely snappier compared to my WDTV. Only been using Kodi for about 8 months or so I guess (NUC5i3+OE), really like it, just wish I could get the minor things worked out, maybe one day soon. I am looking for strictly appliance usage, local media playback only, possibly adding a hdhomerun(?) for OTA viewing depending on how aggravating it is to implement. I like to set and forget about it until it breaks or something really awesome comes along. I really enjoy my WDTV, been with it since early 2009, but it is awful slow in the GUI and everything else, but does play all my media just fine, can not knock it for that, but just not as 'elegant' as Kodi. I want to find that in a Kodi solution and I will be most happy for sure! thanks
(2016-10-10, 17:59)Jeffers24 Wrote: Where do I find what I have to load on my SDCard?

W gave me a google search suggestion, but it comes back as google does with hundreds/thousands of links, I have followed some of them but all technical, lots of options, lots of problems with fixes and no clear indication of what I need to download.
Right thats it, I've been patient up to this point!

You are now OFF topic and interfering with legitimate ODROID C2 user support questions.

As I've already said take Setup and Config questions for other S905 AML boxes over to the LibreELEC forums or go over to this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=255686

And continue your conversation there please.

(2016-10-10, 18:27)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2016-10-10, 17:59)Jeffers24 Wrote: W gave me a google search suggestion, but it comes back as google does with hundreds/thousands of links, I have followed some of them but all technical, lots of options, lots of problems with fixes and no clear indication of what I need to download.
Right thats it, I've been patient up to this point!

You are now OFF topic and interfering with legitimate ODROID C2 user support questions.

As I've already said take Setup and Config questions for other S905 AML boxes over to the LibreELEC forums or go over to this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=255686

And continue your conversation there please.

OK I am getting paranoid now, I promise not to post in this thread again.

Do you want me to delete my posts to tidy it up a bit?
  • 49(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610