• 75(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
(2017-01-26, 17:10)wrxtasy Wrote: - Faster eMMC Flash memory available

If you drive the O2 with a SD-card, the PI seems a lot faster and have better snappiness than the Odroid.
If you don't need 4k and can life with PCM passthrough on DTS-HD the Pi is the far better solution than the Odroid.
If you need 4k and Atmos you get the old 2015 shield for $99 wich is likely the same price for Odroid+Case+PSU+eMMC.
Can I ask what micro SDHC card are you using ?

Because there are recommended Fast ones for AML devices.

Please point me to where I can buy a 2015 Shield for $99 ? Wink

(2017-01-27, 11:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Can I ask what micro SDHC card are you using ?
SanDisk Ultra Android microSDHC 32GB CLASS10 80M/B
and
Transcend TS32GUSDHC10E Class 10 Extreme-Speed

Before i'm updating LE i'm replacing the card and backup an image on the PC, write this back to the other SD-card and use this new one.
Quote:Because there are recommended Fast ones for AML devices.

Please point me to where I can buy a 2015 Shield for $99 ? Wink
Sorry i have read that in the nVidia Shield forum it was something like walmart, but since i'm not in the US i haven't tagged this. But since the 16GB shield was 2015 in sale for $159 (the packaging without the remote) it makes sense for me to sell this old stock now for some fewer bucks
Samsung EVO (+) and Sandisk UHS-1 Class 10 are the only one I use for AMLogic devices because these have Superior Random 4K Read/Write performance to all others. Especially important for small KB Kodi Artwork files.

SD Cards marketed as 80Mb/s Sequential read speeds may be important for large MB file used on such things as Phone Camera's when using Pictures, but not so much for Kodi.

Honestly the speed of a Samsung SD card is not that far behind, for day to day use of LE Kodi vs eMMC, if you don't have a Massive Library. I would not call it slow by any means.

BTW: Try playing any 10bit HEVC video files on the RPi3 and tell me how far you get. Wink

How much is the customs fee for odroid c2 for European union country?
(2017-01-27, 17:58)edimi Wrote: How much is the customs fee for odroid c2 for European union country?

None if you buy @ Pollin.de

Take the kit/set so you get an eMMC for dirt cheap. eMMC is way faster than any SD card AFAIK.

The remote is so-so but it'll work.

HTH

Greetz,

_J@n_
MiBox running KODI app (latest)
Synology DS215+ - 8+6 TB | Synology DS211 - 4+4 TB - No RAID | Homebrew server Ubuntu server - 10 TB - LVM | Ubuntu Server 18.04.01 -10 TB - RAID5
Philips 50PFK5300 | Sony HT-XT100 Soundplate
Scanning my media with MediaElch
is there no option to get older image of the raybuntu?? the one dated the 27th seems to have issue with hevc so i wanted to roll back if i could
(2017-01-27, 16:25)wrxtasy Wrote: BTW: Try playing any 10bit HEVC video files on the RPi3 and tell me how far you get. Wink
Try playing 3D MKVs or 3D ISO with fullframe content (MVC) on the C2 and tell me how far you get.
Time to go looking for a decently priced 2017 3D TV then from a Major Manufacturer...what where have they all gone ? - the way of the dinosaur !

I hope you are watching 3D with a projector screen- because in reality that is the only way to view 3D properly for the full immersion effect. Any other viewing method is just playing with Tonka Toys otherwise.

The word Niche sums up 3D succinctly in 2017 Wink

I need to add more detail for another limitation with the RPi's:
- shared USB2 / 100M Ethernet bus with 11MB/s bandwidth limitations. Not so good for a File Server / Mini NAS.

(2017-01-30, 10:16)wrxtasy Wrote: Time to go looking for a decently priced 2017 3D TV then from a Major Manufacturer...what where have they all gone ? - the way of the dinosaur !
This was not the question to educate people that features that won't work must be shitty. Its like the same discussion style as the Apple evangelists tell you years that a mouse with more than one button is rubbish. (Because Apple had only a mouse with one button)
Quote:I hope you are watching 3D with a projector screen- because in reality that is the only way to view 3D properly for the full immersion effect. Any other viewing method is just playing with Tonka Toys otherwise.
(Your statement tells me that you've never seen a cleanly adjusted passive 3D TV.)
I'm watching 3D with an 65" LG UHD (passive 3D with 3840x1024) and have the luxus to sit ~1,5m from the telly as long as i'm take the time for watching intensivly a film. All people, that have seen my telly says, that the feeling is more intensive than in the cinema. Shure, its not for the familiy or watching brain dead with sixpack and fellows, but if you have the luxus to sit alone for the telly...
3D was a not-needed feature for me, i had this never seen, nor wanted, but i had get this as "addon" with the TV, and now my opinion is: its a lot more Wow and Aaaah than 4k/HDR.
Quote:The word Niche sums up 3D succinctly in 2017 Wink
Yeah, but how many people have a brand new 2017 mode without 3Dl? Do all the 3D Blu Ray now burn to dust? We are talking about a global use as Mediastation, someone will play sound losseless until 192kHz (i assume a lot fewer as watching 3D = niche) and others playing 128kB mp3. Someone use KODI only as a front end for streaming stations or with tuner and others playing only stuff from NAS.
Quote:I need to add more detail for another limitation with the RPi's:
- shared USB2 / 100M Ethernet bus with 11MB/s bandwidth limitations. Not so good for a File Server / Mini NAS.
Why should someone setup the Kodibox as an additional NAS? Makes no sense to me. Even an Odroid is really senseless. Only as an example, the old Zyxel NSA320 was selled in Europe for ~50 EUR, you have the proper PSU for the harddisks, the proper case and performance, that runs cirdles about the RPi/Odorid/Banana-stuff
(2017-01-30, 09:01)querty1000 Wrote:
(2017-01-27, 16:25)wrxtasy Wrote: BTW: Try playing any 10bit HEVC video files on the RPi3 and tell me how far you get. Wink
Try playing 3D MKVs or 3D ISO with fullframe content (MVC) on the C2 and tell me how far you get.
3d is a dead technology for home entertainment, not sure which manufactures are left that make 3d tvs anymore. No tv means no content produced for it.
whereas 4k hevc is right now and the future. do the maths, C2 is basically Rpi4, its the next iteration of these micro boards for kodi imho.

The reason why Rpi3 will remain the number one platform for kodi is because of price and ease of purchase. There is a big market for pirated addons (possibly the biggest for kodi) which don't need hevc or 4k or anything fancy, since the content isn't using those standards, (though if you start to torrent (which this market is to lazy for) you can download good hevc content?) that market will buy the cheapest and not notice the difference.

anyway back to point, if your buying a new board right now and want to keep that board for more than a few years, C2 is the better option. If you already got a RPi3 and not in a rush to get into hevc or 4k then wait, theres always new boards out every year and they getting cheaper.
Uh... Well that was interesting...

I'm pretty sure Kodi usage isn't driving Raspberry Pi sales, but you can continue with that belief if you want.
(2017-01-30, 22:01)Stereodude Wrote: Uh... Well that was interesting...

I'm pretty sure Kodi usage isn't driving Raspberry Pi sales, but you can continue with that belief if you want.
I did go of on a tangent.
I'm pretty sure Kodi usage was the primary driver driving Raspberry Pi sales, but you can continue with your belief if you want.
libreelec enable ssh after install? it was OFF by default i guess because says connection refused with putty
(2017-01-30, 15:34)querty1000 Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 10:16)wrxtasy Wrote: I hope you are watching 3D with a projector screen - because in reality that is the only way to view 3D properly for the full immersion effect. Any other viewing method is just playing with Tonka Toys otherwise.
(Your statement tells me that you've never seen a cleanly adjusted passive 3D TV.)
I'm watching 3D with an 65" LG UHD (passive 3D with 3840x1024) and have the luxus to sit ~1.5m from the telly...
And that in a Nutshell is why 3D TV has failed, what normal family or group of friends sits that close to a TV for an extended period of time ?
I will repeat again...
Quote:The word Niche sums up 3D succinctly in 2017 Wink

If I were a potential New product purchaser in 2017 and I saw headlines like "3D Failed, No 3D TV sets from major manufacturers" I would not be going out of my way to buy any media player specifically to support 3D. Its dead and buried for media player - TV consumer Tech in 2017.

However my new 2017 TV would very likely be a 4K screen, possibly even HDR. I would be making damn sure I can at least view some 4K content from any media player I buy. And that means 10bit HEVC 1080p/4K decode support & HDMI 2.0

4K HEVC TV Broadcasts are already available in parts of the world too. That is another source of 4K content.

HDR, by the way is a complete Kodi media player Marketing Con Job, unless you are buying a nVIDIA Shield that can actually stream properly encoded HDR entertainment content from Netflix and Amazon (maybe VUDU). There are only so many HDR test clips a person can watch on a repeat loop. Wink

• 75(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610