• 113(current)
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $46
(2018-08-29, 17:25)Stereodude Wrote: Can the uSD slot and the eMMC both be used at the same time on the C2?  Like booting from the eMMC into LibreELEC/CoreELEC and using a large high capacity the uSD for media storage.
 Pretty certain they can be used that way.
Does it even make sens? I mean, price per GB in SD cards are pretty expensive compared to traditional magnetic HDD.
Plus, you cannot have more like 256GB SSD card, which will be pretty expensive.
Plus plus, it will wear out pretty quickly (in terms of lifespan).

Why don't consider external HDD with USB cable or SMB/CIFS share via NAS or even normal desktop PC?
(2018-08-30, 10:00)raven6679 Wrote: Does it even make sens? I mean, price per GB in SD cards are pretty expensive compared to traditional magnetic HDD.
Plus, you cannot have more like 256GB SSD card, which will be pretty expensive.
Plus plus, it will wear out pretty quickly (in terms of lifespan).

Why don't consider external HDD with USB cable or SMB/CIFS share via NAS or even normal desktop PC?
 The only reason I can think of for using a uSD card for media is if you want to use the same storage in your C2 and an Android or Windows tablet (or Android phone) to watch/listen on the move.  (I have a small library I keep on a uSD card for that very purpose)
Yeah, that's when the NAS kicks in.
Dedicated (HUGE) storage, which is available on every device connected to LAN and even WAN if you wish to set up a VPN connection or (lesss safely) forward ports.

What's even more beautiful, you can set up your own NAS with no cost at all, if you just have a spare desktop, which is running 24/7 - it's OpenMediaVault.
If not, then simply create a shared folder(s) on your home desktop with Windows or Linux...
(2018-08-30, 11:20)raven6679 Wrote: Yeah, that's when the NAS kicks in.
Dedicated (HUGE) storage, which is available on every device connected to LAN and even WAN if you wish to set up a VPN connection or (lesss safely) forward ports.

What's even more beautiful, you can set up your own NAS with no cost at all, if you just have a spare desktop, which is running 24/7 - it's OpenMediaVault.
If not, then simply create a shared folder(s) on your home desktop with Windows or Linux...
 Good luck with that on a plane or a train with zero mobile broadband coverage Smile

There are still reasons to have local storage - particularly when travelling.

(For the record I have a large unRAID server and a small OMV set-up running as my PVR client - ODroid HC1 running Debian with OMV and TV Headend using an HD Home Run networked Dual DVB-T2 tuner, plus an ESXi virtual machine host running a couple of VMs for other stuff like home automation, Firewall, VPN/VLAN stuff etc.)

I still have uSD cards with TV and movies I want to watch on-the-move on it - and have been known to take small Kodi boxes (RPI, ODroid etc.) with me for easy connection to hotel TVs Smile
But you cannot actually watch movie on C2 without some kind of screen.
So, you have smartfone and you can download offline content Wink
(2018-08-30, 13:53)noggin Wrote: I still have uSD cards with TV and movies I want to watch on-the-move on it - and have been known to take small Kodi boxes (RPI, ODroid etc.) with me for easy connection to hotel TVs Smile 
Yup, I agree, but this is still one more device you need to carry and I pressume that you have a smartphone with you.

Anyway, thanks for this discussion. I'm not trying to convince you, I just like to embrace new concepts.
Hello,

Sorry for my questions, but I am completely lost.

My TV is not HDR compatible. I use an Odroid C2 under LibreElec 8.2.5.
When I play a film encoded with HDR, I have faded/dull colors.
Is this a known problem? Is there a solution? Can the Alpha version of LibreElec correct the problem?

I've read a lot about HDR to SDR and I do not understand how it works.
My gaming PC, Ryzen R5-1600X and Radeon 7970, has no problem displaying the right colors on my screen (non-hdr).

Thank you for your answer and help.

Sorry, I forgot to say: I use a HDMI 2.0 compatible cable.
You need a S905D, S905W, S905X or S912 to do HDR to SDR tone mapping with AMLogic hardware.

The S905D with it's Gigabit Ethernet is best for long term HDR Linux Kodi support from Kodi v18 onwards. It's what is in the Vero 4K+ and also the MECOOL KI Pro

Thank you for answering so quickly!
On the other hand, this is wrong?
(2015-12-21, 03:43)wrxtasy Wrote: Q. What about devices for up to 4K HEVC (H265) video playback over HDMI 2.0 to my non HDR capable 4K TV ?
  • Apple TV 4K (using MrMC App)
  • All AMLogic S9xx devices including WeTek's, MINIX U1, ODROID C2 + others

Technically there is non HDR 4K HEVC content available but I agree it could be written better like,

Q. What about devices for SDR 4K HEVC (H265) video playback over HDMI 2.0 to my SDR only capable 4K TV ?

Yes - there are two distinct use cases for SDR TVs :

1. Replay SDR UHD content for display on an SDR display. This requires 2160p HEVC decode functionality (and downscaling if the display is not 2160p) and is assuming the same colour gamut for source and display. 
2. Replay HDR UHD content for display on an SDR display. This will require the same as 1. but also additionally requires HDR to SDR EOTF (aka dynamic range) conversion, and probably Rec 2020 to Rec 709 colour gamut conversion. (This is often called Tonemapping)

The ODroid C2 (and other S905 boxes) can do 1., but can't do 2.

The reality is that most UHD content in the wild (such as UHD Blu-ray rips) is also HDR so 2. is important for SDR display owners who want to play this content.

(Netflix and Amazon both provide SDR UHD content alongside their HDR content, and there were early TV broadcast tests that some of us received that were SDR, and some broadcast UHD remains SDR)
(2018-09-03, 11:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Technically there is non HDR 4K HEVC content available but I agree it could be written better like,

Q. What about devices for SDR 4K HEVC (H265) video playback over HDMI 2.0 to my SDR only capable 4K TV ?
Yes, it would have avoided me to take a Odroid C2 for nothing =/
(2018-09-03, 12:57)noggin Wrote: 1. Replay SDR UHD content for display on an SDR display. This requires 2160p HEVC decode functionality (and downscaling if the display is not 2160p) and is assuming the same colour gamut for source and display. 
2. Replay HDR UHD content for display on an SDR display. This will require the same as 1. but also additionally requires HDR to SDR EOTF (aka dynamic range) conversion, and probably Rec 2020 to Rec 709 colour gamut conversion. (This is often called Tonemapping)

The ODroid C2 (and other S905 boxes) can do 1., but can't do 2.
Thank you for this very comprehensive answer!

So, I see that Kodi 18 is making improvements: Will the odroid be right?
I tried the alpha version of LibreElec, but could not start. If someone could try something, I'm interested.
(2018-09-03, 15:29)sk4hrr Wrote: I tried the alpha version of LibreElec, but could not start. If someone could try something, I'm interested.
For Kodi v18 Leia, I would try CoreELEC (click) - a AMLogic fork of LibreELEC

Thank you, I just tried and no change... I will sell my odroid c2. The Vero 4K + will work in my case, for sure?
  • 113(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 S905 2GB RAM HDMI 2.0 $4610