• 9(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
3D LUT Explained

A 3D LUT is a table of color values that converts any input color value into a corrected RGB triplet output color value. The 3D LUT analyzes the proximity of a displayed color to its reference value and provides a corrected value that adds or removes what is missing to get closer to a desired color space standard. This corrects the display's output to adhere to a specified white point and color gamut when the 3D LUT is active.

A 3D LUT is a more precise method of color correcting a display compared to traditional display-based grayscale calibration, as 3D LUTs offer the potential creation of thousands of individual calibration points that can be used to interpolate any color value that can be created by the display. A typical digital display by comparison relies on a limited number of calibration points to interpolate all color values that are controlled by a limited set of color controls.

Visual Representation of a 3D LUT

Luminance adds volume to a chromaticity diagram.
This creates a 3D cube like the RGB cube below:

Any color space (e.g. XYZ) can be represented inside the cube.
Luminance (black to white) creates uneven color distribution:

A 3D LUT is capable of correcting the three main aspects of display calibration:
  • White Point: Finding the achromatic point (D6500) and maintaining it from reference black to peak white (0 to 100% white) with the right balance of red, green and blue.
  • Primaries: Combining values of red, green and blue to create the values placed on the corners of a triangular color gamut. These primary colors are used as the base to create all other colors.
  • Transfer Function: Producing gamma-corrected or perceptual quantization-corrected (PQ) luminance values. A capture device converts light to voltage. A display converts voltage to light for each pixel using a transfer function suitable for the gamut luminance range.

Manual grayscale calibration is only focused on adjusting the controls that directly influence the above qualities. If the display was perfectly linear — where any input signal produced a 100% predictable change in displayed color — a grayscale and primary color calibration would produce a perfect result. The problem is almost no consumer displays are perfectly linear and suffer from some color cross-coupling and a lack of RGB separation. A 3D LUT does not have to focus exclusively on the grayscale and primary colors and can treat all colors profiled within the cube equally to correct colors found between the white point and gamut edges. 3D LUT corrections use a small amount of GPU power, but can produce near-reference color when combined with a good display.

What Is a LUT?

The Flaws of Using Delta E Alone for Display Calibration
hey warner,

i'm trying to switch my kodi external player from mpc-hc to mpdn for many reasons:
1- Performance: using madvr, some algoritms were impossible for my intel hd5000 (ex: Jinc AR). with mpdn...yes we canNod
2- Quality: mpdn shows much less banding on greyscale steps pattern.Cool which is very important for oled owners.
but i'm struggeling setting up my remote to operate mpdnHuh bcs there is no commad key editor like mpc-hc.

any suggestions?
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
(2016-04-19, 23:46)sat4all Wrote: hey warner,

i'm trying to switch my kodi external player from mpc-hc to mpdn for many reasons:
1- Performance: using madvr, some algoritms were impossible for my intel hd5000 (ex: Jinc AR). with mpdn...yes we canNod
2- Quality: mpdn shows much less banding on greyscale steps pattern.Cool which is very important for oled owners.
but i'm struggeling setting up my remote to operate mpdnHuh bcs there is no commad key editor like mpc-hc.

any suggestions?

I am not familiar with that media player. I don't think you will get far posting here. You wouldn't want to tell madshi that mpdn is a superior player as he has argued this is false. I think you will have to look for some official documentation for help with your remote.
Thanks i will dig else where.
Btw i'm not comparing anything, it's not even fair to compare a media player to a renderer.
Been using madvr for years now with my gaming rig and i Know what it worth. But just for weak igpu i think mpdn blow mpc-hc&madvr away in terms of quality/performance.
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
(2016-04-20, 00:34)sat4all Wrote: Thanks i will dig else where.
Btw i'm not comparing anything, it's not even fair to compare a media player to a renderer.
Been using madvr for years now with my gaming rig and i Know what it worth. But just for weak igpu i think mpdn blow mpc-hc&madvr away in terms of quality/performance.

Fair enough. If you are getting banding with madVR, it is likely a setup issue. madVR dithers everything; it shouldn't band. Likely a problem with RGB levels.
(2016-04-20, 03:01)Warner306 Wrote: Fair enough. If you are getting banding with madVR, it is likely a setup issue. madVR dithers everything; it shouldn't band. Likely a problem with RGB levels.

gpu: 0-255, madvr & tv: limited
madvr: Jinc + AR for chroma and image upscaling, ordered dithering, all unchecked in trade quality for performance

gpu: 0-255, mpdn & tv: limited
mpdn: Jinc + AR for chroma and luma, random dithering (default)

banding is more pronounced with madvr in the near black area.
(2016-04-20, 11:43)sat4all Wrote:
(2016-04-20, 03:01)Warner306 Wrote: Fair enough. If you are getting banding with madVR, it is likely a setup issue. madVR dithers everything; it shouldn't band. Likely a problem with RGB levels.

madvr: Jinc + AR for chroma and image upscaling, ordered dithering, all unchecked in trade quality for performance

Looks like a difference in dithering patterns. Or, it could be the GPU is altering the output. Have you tried setting madVR to 0-255 and the GPU to 16-235?

The portion of the guide on RGB output levels includes black and white clipping patterns to test if video levels (16-235) have been altered. I have had problems with madVR using the settings mentioned.
(2016-04-20, 21:37)Warner306 Wrote: Looks like a difference in dithering patterns. Or, it could be the GPU is altering the output. Have you tried setting madVR to 0-255 and the GPU to 16-235?

The portion of the guide on RGB output levels includes black and white clipping patterns to test if video levels (16-235) have been altered. I have had problems with madVR using the settings mentioned.

with my current setting clipping patterns shows correctly, but with madvr full and gpu limited, i'm loosing wtw and btb.
madvr work banding free only when debanding algo is engaged, which lead me again to performance issues.
(2016-04-20, 22:09)sat4all Wrote:
(2016-04-20, 21:37)Warner306 Wrote: Looks like a difference in dithering patterns. Or, it could be the GPU is altering the output. Have you tried setting madVR to 0-255 and the GPU to 16-235?

with my current setting clipping patterns shows correctly, but with full and gpu limited, i'm loosing wtw and btb.
madvr work banding free onlys when debanding algo is engaged, which lead me again to performance issues.

I can't be of much more help. If your TV is set to limited (16-235), you should be clipping below 16 and above 235.
(2016-04-14, 23:32)Warner306 Wrote: I am using the latest stable driver; whatever that is.

Try resetting everything by deleting all profiles and running the reset settings program in the madVR installation folder. Also, try using madVR alone to change display modes rather than Kodi.

Just wanted to report back and say that with the latest version of Nvidia drivers on Win 10 x64 with the DSPlayer Wanilton posted last night, my present time issues are gone. I only see high present times when the queue is not fully filled when I start play back of a video. After a little but the queue fills up and the present time goes down to an average of just below a millisecond.

Now I can have DSPlayer as a daily driver again and start playing with better algorithms provided by Madvr.
(2016-04-20, 11:43)sat4all Wrote:

don't forget that a higher tab count in mpdn is is needed to reach jinc 3 in mad'VR it uses a different tab counting system.

there shouldn't be a notable performance difference.
I know this is a madVR guide, but given the extensive knowledge, I was hoping someone (warner) could shed some light regarding my conundrum.

When I play any other content, LAV filters recognizes my 980 Ti and as such it performs the grunt work.

However, when I play HDR 10-bit 4K content, it seems my CPU is doing the work and when I open LAV Filters it does not indicate my GPU is being used for hardware decoding.

Thus my output is very choppy which is incredibly annoying.

This does not happen for regular 4K (2160p) content - just the HDR/10-bit.

What do I need to do to rectify this?

Thanks!
If ita encoded with hevc then there isn't a hardware decoder for it yet so it defaults to software decoding. You could try and use the lenoid hevc decoder. I hear that helps a lot

Sent from my Nexus 5X
(2016-05-12, 06:03)hassanmahmood Wrote: I know this is a madVR guide, but given the extensive knowledge, I was hoping someone (warner) could shed some light regarding my conundrum.

When I play any other content, LAV filters recognizes my 980 Ti and as such it performs the grunt work.

However, when I play HDR 10-bit 4K content, it seems my CPU is doing the work and when I open LAV Filters it does not indicate my GPU is being used for hardware decoding.

Thus my output is very choppy which is incredibly annoying.

This does not happen for regular 4K (2160p) content - just the HDR/10-bit.

What do I need to do to rectify this?

Thanks!

You need a hardware decoder. High bit rate HEVC requires a lot of processing power. The Lentoid HEVC decoder might offer some improvement.

The GTX 950/960 are the only Nvidia cards from last year with HEVC hadware decoding support. Pascal should bring this feature to the entire lineup.
Wouldn't a 980 Ti be better than a 950/960?
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5