• 53(current)
Win HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
I'm having a weird problem that has started due to an nVidia driver update, or possibly a windows update (I stupidly did them at the same time so I can't tell). I've been using Kodi DSPlayer and HDR passthrough into my Sony 900F for at least a year now with no issues, but after I did the latest updates, HDR in Kodi is completely messed up. Colors are completely washed out, blacks look grey, the red Marvel logo background is a pale orange, etc. Stopping an HDR movie and going back to the Kodi UI has Kodi's colors completely blown out, as if the Saturation was dialed up to 10. They return to normal when tabbing away from the UI, but everything is screwed up again when I tab back to Kodi. I tried to take some screenshots, but naturally everything looks fine in them.

I've tried rolling back the nVidia drivers, and the problem remains which would seem to point to MS breaking something. Anyone have any ideas here?

I should mention that SDR content displays fine. HDR also looks washed out and terrible using MPC-BE/HC setup with madVR. VLC won't automatically switch into HDR, but if I manually enable it in the display dialog, HDR looks perfectly fine in it.
Added a video to demonstrate what I'm seeing: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss0DcYJ6U2s

And here's a link to the madVR debug output.
As far as I know, you have three variables to test: Kodi DSPlayer, Windows 10 and the Nvidia drivers.

I would rule them out one at a time.

DSPlayer: Try playing an HDR video with MPC-BE or MPC-HC with madVR selected as the renderer and see if the result is different than DSPlayer. 

Windows 10: Revert to an older build of Windows via System Restore.

Nvidia Drivers: Try a selection of drivers from this link that are known to correctly pass through HDR to the display.
Hi, i am new here and i want to ask some questions. But first i will give you some informatiion :

I bought a msi optix mag272cqr monitor which has 1440p resolution and 8bit+FRC. Also HDR supported.

I noticed that there are no 1440p movies and i have to either see 1080p or 4k movies.

All the 4k movies are also 10bit and HDR, or at least the 99% of them.

I have HDR off on my monitor, cause i simple don't like all these brightness on movies.

1) Should i watch max quality 1080p movies or 4k movies and why? The 4k movies i see are below 10gb and i don't think the quality is very good. But maybe i need to make some tweaks on MadVR settings..

2) Should i use MadVR beta for better HDR settings or not?

3) Is this guide updated? It's a very long guide and i don't want to make some outdated settings.

I guess it was a mistake not to buy 4k monitor, since nowadays mostly i see movies rather than playing games.. But on 27" i read that best resolution is 1440p. Also this resolution is best for my 2070s for gaming purposes also, if i want to play on max settings.. But with movies 1440p maybe is not so good.. Cause every video you see it either gonna be upscaled or downscaled, since there are not 1440p movies..

Also i have some ghosting which is sometimes annoying on total dark scenes.. And i can't find a color profile for my monitor or don't know if i have the best calibration settings.. But ok i guess these settings are differ from monitor to monitor, even if it's the same model...

Thanks in advance!
(2021-05-06, 22:17)lazostat Wrote: Hi, i am new here and i want to ask some questions. But first i will give you some informatiion :

I bought a msi optix mag272cqr monitor which has 1440p resolution and 8bit+FRC. Also HDR supported.

I noticed that there are no 1440p movies and i have to either see 1080p or 4k movies.

All the 4k movies are also 10bit and HDR, or at least the 99% of them.

I have HDR off on my monitor, cause i simple don't like all these brightness on movies.

1) Should i watch max quality 1080p movies or 4k movies and why? The 4k movies i see are below 10gb and i don't think the quality is very good. But maybe i need to make some tweaks on MadVR settings..

2) Should i use MadVR beta for better HDR settings or not?

3) Is this guide updated? It's a very long guide and i don't want to make some outdated settings.

I guess it was a mistake not to buy 4k monitor, since nowadays mostly i see movies rather than playing games.. But on 27" i read that best resolution is 1440p. Also this resolution is best for my 2070s for gaming purposes also, if i want to play on max settings.. But with movies 1440p maybe is not so good.. Cause every video you see it either gonna be upscaled or downscaled, since there are not 1440p movies..

Also i have some ghosting which is sometimes annoying on total dark scenes.. And i can't find a color profile for my monitor or don't know if i have the best calibration settings.. But ok i guess these settings are differ from monitor to monitor, even if it's the same model...

Thanks in advance!
1) Resolution is less important than the gamma used and resulting differences in peak brightness. 1080p movies use the standard SDR gamma curve. While most 4K UHD movies use the newer PQ curve with a brightness range that tends to peak at between 1,000-4,000 nits, depending on the movie. This is called HDR. So the increase in brightness with HDR movies may be something that you value. It is certainly more important than resolution. So it is really SDR vs. HDR, and not 1080p vs. 4K UHD.

2) The madVR beta offers many improvements for HDR playback. So I would recommend using it, as long as you are willing to continually update with each new beta release and learn how to use it on your own.

3) This guide is still mostly up-to-date, save some of the new HDR stuff in the beta builds. Not much else has changed in madVR in recent years.
I have an odd problem with using 3dlut in windowed overlay mode, the movies look kinda dark like crushed blacks or clipped blacks. This problem doesn't occur in the other modes. The 3dlut has a gamma of 2.4 relative with black output offset set at 100%. I didn't have this problem in windows 7, it started when I moved to windows 10 pro.
I think the problem is that madVR tries to interpret what the media player wants (zoom, AR, and shift), and fails to do so properly in this specific case. The reason why madVR tries to interpret the media player wishes is that madVR automatically detects black bars in the image and zooms them away and also supports CIH, CIW, and CIA front projection setups (if the user has activated these features in the madVR settings).

Have you already seen this document?

http://madshi.net/89notesForDevs.pdf

It's quite old but still applies.

You say you're maintaining a DSPlayer build - does that mean you're a developer and can also do changes (at least minor ones)? If so, if it's not too difficult, it would be great if you could teach DSPlayer to communicate its wishes to madVR clearly, by using the madVR communication interfaces. See 1c) in the PDF above. I believe that would fix all the issues.
I've been having a weird problem for awhile now, and I can't figure it out. Every so often, I'll play a movie in Kodi DSPlayer, and the render times will be over 100. If I reboot Kodi and MadVR, everything goes back to normal for a few weeks. It's happened on pretty much every version of MadVR.
I'm using a Harmony One and Flirc in my setup. Awhile back, I mapped cntrl-j to one of the Harmony buttons, but for the life of me, I can't remember how I did it. I want to add cntrl-r to one of the buttons, so does anyone know how to do that?
One more question. This guide is very large and i need many hours to read it and make all the settings. My pc monitor sucks and even 4k movies look like 720p. On the other hand my 2014 Tv ( Samsung H7000 ) is much better despite it's game. I watch only 1080p and 4k videos. Should i have to apply all profiles for SD, 720p, etc?? Also do i have to make 2 different profiles or the settings apply to both TV and Pc monitor?

Last question. Is it better to clone displays if i want to watch on TV, or just make TV primary and show video only on TV?
Damn.. No edit button.. Just to add that i don't use KODI, i have never used it. I only use VLC and Media Player Classic.
Auto Lens Memory selection for JVC

I've been a madVR user for a while now, but never got around to setting up the automated lens memories under screen config. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I found something like the below, but I'm not sure what the "customname" would be or how to implement a 3rd option to the rule.

if (fileName = "customname") or (ar > 1.9) "21:9"
else "16:9"

I'm sure I could figure it out once I have the rule in place, but I'm basically wanting it to recall from a selection of 3 memories (16:9, 2:1, and 2:35). I have it setup to pause during zooming, but that's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The projector is a JVC RS1000.

Thank you,
Jeremy
I've been having a crash with Kodi DSPlayer (MadVR) for some time now.
Basically I can see the whole movie but when I hit "Stop" to stop the movie Kodi crashes.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

Thank you,
Fabio
Win10 Pro, i3 9100, RX5700, DSPlayer 17.7, MadVR
Here are the general steps for setting up madVR with Kodi DSPlayer and external players:

Install madVR on your computer. You can download the latest version from the madVR website.
Open Kodi and go to Settings > Player > Videos.
Set the player to "DSPlayer."
Click on "DSPlayer settings" and navigate to the "External filters" tab.
Click "Add filter" and select "madVR."
In the "Command line parameters" field, enter the following: "--autofit" (without quotes).
Click "OK" to save the settings.
New to Kodi? Try this Quick Start Guide also *BLEEP*.
To use madVR with external players, you need to configure the player to use madVR as the video renderer. The exact steps will depend on the player you are using, but in general, you should look for an option to set the video renderer and select madVR.
That's it! You should now be able to use madVR with Kodi DSPlayer and external players. Keep in mind that madVR is a powerful video renderer and may require some tweaking to get the best performance and quality. You can adjust the settings in the madVR control panel, which can be accessed by right-clicking on a video while it's playing.
(2023-02-14, 10:42)BiancaRao Wrote: New to Kodi? Try this Quick Start Guide

Do not slip in links into your posts to websites that promote video piracy add-ons. We have zero patience with such behavior.
Consider this your first and final warning.
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players5