Philips Android TVs (2016)
Philips have announced their new Android TVs at CES this year. Availability in the spring apparently

8600 series
- 10-bit color gamut
- 55 and 65 inch models
- Sonic Emotion Premium sound
- 802.11ac wireless
- Dolby Vision
- 240 Perfect Motion Rate

7000 series
- 50 and 55 inch versions
- 120 Perfect Motion Rate

6000 series
- 65 inch, 55 inch and 49 inch models.
- No Motion Rate 240, no Micro Dimming Pro and no expanded color gamut

5000 series
- Improved android performance
Press release on the streaming games stuff

Quote:PRESS RELEASE
Amazon Instant video streaming in Full HD and 4K launched in first quarter 2016
Philips Android TV™ to offer console quality games from Gamefly, all streamed via the cloud
TransGaming’s Gametree TV Gold gaming subscription for Philips Smart TV platform
Toon Goggles added to kids content
First half 2016 product range outline revealed
Las Vegas, 5 Jan, 2016 – TP Vision has announced a wide range of exciting new gaming and streaming partnerships with leading companies including: Amazon, Gamefly, TransGaming’s GameTree TV Gold, Chillingo and Gameloft to significantly extend both the existing video streaming and games offerings on the Philips Smart TVs and Philips Android TV platforms.

TP Vision also outlined the key developments for the first half 2016 Philips TV product range with the full line-up to be revealed at a special launch event in Brussels next February.

The company’s senior management will be available to discuss the plans for the first half 2016 at the Titian Suite 2304-2305-2306 at The Venetian Hotel meeting space level 2.Journalists wanting to meet the TP Vision management team present at CES, please go to TP Vision booth front desk.

More Video Streaming

The range of video streaming options will significantly increase in the first quarter of 2016 with the addition of Amazon Instant Video service to the Philips Android TV platform to coincide with the launch of the first 2016 Philips TVs.

The service will offer Full HD streaming to all Philips Android TVs with the option of 4K UHD streaming to specific Philips 4K sets – models to be confirmed shortly.

A wide and varied selection of games

Philips Android TVs already deliver an always-on and fluid gaming experience without the need for a separate gaming console thanks to the inclusion of powerful multi-core chipsets and they offer an extensive choice of games via the Google Play store™ and the Philips App Gallery.

For maximum flexibility, games can be controlled via both the TV remote and up to four Bluetooth game controllers connected to the TV.

Available for Q1 2016 for all 2014, 2015 and 2016 Philips Android TVs the new partnerships will add some of the most popular games including: Grid racing, Batman Lego, MotoGP and Dirt from Gamefly; Asphalt 8: Airborne and GT Racing 2 from Gameloft and Feed me Oil 2 from Chillingo - plus many more.

In addition, the Philips Smart TV platform will also offer a new subscription games service, Gametree TV Gold from TransGaming, which will offer the ever popular games Rummikub®, Tetris® and WPT® and more!

Ambilight creates a unique gaming experience

Philips TVs also offer a truly unique and totally immersive, extended and enhanced, gaming experience thanks to Ambilight technology – with its dedicated super-dynamic gaming mode – creating a halo of light and changing colours, to precisely match the on-screen action, on the wall behind the set. And in its new and ultimate incarnation AmbiLux, the picture is enlarged and taken beyond the boundaries of the ultra slim-line design set by the nine pico-projectors mounted in the rear of the TV.

2016 Philips TV Product Outline

TP Vision has confirmed that the flagship 8601 and 8901 AmbiLux sets will move from limited to full distribution by mid-January.

A new 6000 UHD and 7000 UHD series will be launched in the first quarter all featuring Philips renowned high quality design and craftsmanship with real materials, new higher spec panels, Android TV with extended storage and with Three-sided Ambilight now available throughout the 7000 range and the majority of the 6000 range.

Sound will also be premium quality with high power outputs and Philips unique double and triple ring speaker technology featuring in both the 6000 and 7000 ranges. The 7000 range will also be the new entry level for HDR capable performance.

The 5000 Full HD series sets will also feature upgraded picture and sound quality, plus improved Android TV performance and will be available for the first time with slim-line aluminium bezels and stands. Available in the first quarter 2016, the 5000 series will include the new 24” multi-function 5211 set as a range highlight, combining the functionality of a monitor, a TV and a dedicated high quality Bluetooth speaker into the one product that’s ideal for the living room, kitchen or bedroom.

A wide range of Full HD small screen and large screen models will be available in the new 4000 series also available in the first quarter.
Can you install a complete Kodi directly on a TV if it uses Android TV operating system?

I am now using a 5-6 year old, high-end, gaming rig to run kodi, but I want to remove it from my living room. Will there be significant performance reduction if Kodi is installed directly on the TV?
(2016-10-06, 10:28)wholmen Wrote: Can you install a complete Kodi directly on a TV if it uses Android TV operating system?

I am now using a 5-6 year old, high-end, gaming rig to run kodi, but I want to remove it from my living room. Will there be significant performance reduction if Kodi is installed directly on the TV?

Yes you can, Just install from the android store.

Not sure about the performance, don't have one myself (yet).
Thank you Smile This seems like a really neat way to integrate Kodi into my home! I am getting tired of various boxes and multiple hdmi inputs
AIUI Philips is, or was, now purely a brand that various companies around the globe have licensed to badge their TVs (i.e. Philips in the Netherlands no longer design or make them). This means that the models sold in Europe and those sold in North America may have nothing linking them at all.

Certainly at one point Funai had rights in one part of the world, but not others. This may have harmonised more recently - but worth being aware of.
I'm seriously doubting this is an officially Google licensed Android TV OS running on these Philips TV.

Unless Google and Amazon have sat down and started smoking the peace pipe they will continue to divide the DRM media streaming market.
This says it all about the way the market is divided into Google Movies and Amazon Instant Video:

Compare Android Streaming Media Players HERE

On a second note: these displays have horrible picture quality and even impossible to dial in with 20k usd worth of calibration equipment. At least this goes for the 7000 series, but I don't have much hope for the 8600 series or any other. Maybe one of the reasons are that all their TVs are now more or less outsourced?
@wholmen
Not sure about philips TVs, but on sony TVs, which also use Android as OS, it is possible: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2349618
So if you google around a bit you'll certainly find some information whether Sony and Philips go the same way using Android for their TVs. As far as I remember the first Philips Android TVs some years ago did not use "Android TV (the TV operation system made by google)" but instead some kind of own Android implementation and this was stuck at Android 4.x back then. So...I'm not sure whether the philips branded TVs are a good choice regarding software stuff... they've never been good at software maintenance.

Keywords for your own google searching would be: Philips sideload apk android app play store tp vision ...in some combination.

If sideloading android apps is working, then an installation of android kodi / SPMC might work. But then again it would be questionable whether automatic frameswitching, audio passthrough etc will work, perhaps even support of SMB shares and NTFS drives connected via USB port are things you should sort out before buying anything.

I'm quite sure it is a better solution if you simply buy a Raspberry (non 4k) or Odroid C2 or Wetek HUB (both 4k) and use it with LibreELEC. There you can be sure that development is proceeding and that most things just work out of the box. But the most important thing is that you'd have a community to ask questions and to sort out issues. Such a box is around 50 to 100$. That's perhaps way less money than what you would save if buying a tv of another brand or so.

I've got a Philips 42PFL6907 from 2012 and although Im still really impressed by the picture quality, the software is a mess from the first day... and every update got worse. From the day "philips" (TP Vision) announced to use Android as OS (2014?) I hoped it would get better for their products, but then again I read how terrible the support of their Android line was... philips support forum is always full of hilarious complains.
Thank you for the input!

It seems like the best idea is to buy a small media box or wait for the next generation of TVs to see if the technology matures a bit.

Thanks for the advice about Philips. I am very intereseted their Ambilight, especially since I have just installed Philips Hue at home, which can be synced with Ambilight. Apart from that, I would gladly try another brand. They just announced an OLED TV that looks pretty amazing, although very expensive.
Yeah can totally understand the point with ambilight. Do have it on my Philips as well and I also have installed three Living colors lamps and the hue bridge. Unfortunately my 2012 TV doesn't support linking to the bridge, the newer models fairly do that Smile.

There are ambilight solutions which can turn add ambilight to every tv. I assume all the parts sum up to about 200€ then (LED stripes are quite expensive the bigger the tv is). You can find a lot of guides for building this with raspberry and kodi and the addons boblight or hyperion.

I'm not sure how good it is working with other devices as Raspberry. For example Odroid C2, as the odroid is perhaps not giving proper picture information to analyse the colors on the fly, but you might have a look at wrxtasys and raybuntus LibreELEC for Odroid Community build at odroid forum for gathering information. I am quite sure there were some threads troubleshooting this. But then again... probably this kodi ambilight clone won't be pairing with the Living Colors system reliably hm. Also these ambilight clone solutions likely won't work for usual TV watching through the built-in TV-Tuner.

Well.. best way is simply to find out if sideloading Android Apps (*.APK) is possible on Philips and then simply go to your electronics shop and try it there. The USB Ports are usually accessible, so you could even put some sample files on the flash drive to test the output directly there. Perhaps it'll suit your needs and expectations Smile
These new 2016 TV's are full android TV's(at least they were on the Android TV press release from CES) as far as I know just like the Sony's.

Can anyone who has bought one confirm?
I don't own one, but have set one uip and calibrated one (that's why I know they don't calibrate too well). I believe they are full Android since you actually have to login with your gmail account to download stuff. (but please do correct me if I'm wrong on any accounts)
(2016-10-06, 16:46)Soli Wrote: I don't own one, but have set one uip and calibrated one (that's why I know they don't calibrate too well). I believe they are full Android since you actually have to login with your gmail account to download stuff. (but please do correct me if I'm wrong on any accounts)

I have a non smart of the 4000 series and the image quality is rubbish until you turn off the power saving features. I found it much better after that. 4K content looks fantastic now!
(2016-10-06, 18:02)zag Wrote:
(2016-10-06, 16:46)Soli Wrote: I don't own one, but have set one uip and calibrated one (that's why I know they don't calibrate too well). I believe they are full Android since you actually have to login with your gmail account to download stuff. (but please do correct me if I'm wrong on any accounts)

I have a non smart of the 4000 series and the image quality is rubbish until you turn off the power saving features. I found it much better after that. 4K content looks fantastic now!

For the Philips Android TV oweners here: I would just like to know if it is possible, when using KODI/SPMC on the Android TV to switch th refresh rate or will it stick while in Android to 60Hz or 50Hz or wahtever is set?

Further I would like to know if the Philips A.TV is doing deinterlacing within Android in Hardware.

Maybe someone of the devs or anyone else here owning a Philips A.TV can post some more details.

Thanks a lot Smile

Regards
Vlaves

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Philips Android TVs (2016)1