• 101(current)
Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
@casey-jones: you can only replace those apps with others. The default icon (for the apps that appear after the first boot) will come back when the app that replaced it got updated. I do not know what you mean by duplicate function at the bottom of the screen.
Gadget enthusiast
Kodi player on an oDroid N2 4 GB with latest stable CoreElec
Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005
Hi!

I am trying to play a bluray movie with Dolby True HD 7.1 using the HiMedia wrapper but it automatically switch to another soundtrack because it can´t play it. DTS 7.1 works fine and also Dolby AC3 5.1. I am using my Bose Bluetooth headphones but have also tried it with my Samsung soundbar connected to my TV with HDMI, same results there. Why does it not work?
I own a Q10 Pro with build-number HMD-2.0.6 2017-10-25.164125.
Awesome man!! Thanks for the review.
(2018-04-27, 17:52)Lugie Wrote: Hi!

I am trying to play a bluray movie with Dolby True HD 7.1 using the HiMedia wrapper but it automatically switch to another soundtrack because it can´t play it. DTS 7.1 works fine and also Dolby AC3 5.1. I am using my Bose Bluetooth headphones but have also tried it with my Samsung soundbar connected to my TV with HDMI, same results there. Why does it not work?
I own a Q10 Pro with build-number HMD-2.0.6 2017-10-25.164125.
DTS and Dolby are SPDIF-quality lossy compressed audio formats, Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA are lossless HD Audio formats.  

Do you have an HD Audio compatible AVR to decode these formats?  Is your sound bar compatible with HD Audio - or is it just capable of the lossy SPDIF stuff (a number of sound bars don't support HD Audio) 

If not, and if stereo is OK (for headphone I assume it is?) then if you disable passthrough / bit streaming in Kodi and configure for 2.0 output you can listen to the lossless 5.1/7.1 HD Audio down mixed to 2.0 stereo.
To avoid uninstalling and reinstalling the firmware unnecessarily for verification.
Can I kindly ask someone who has installed the official FW on board, if he manages to have set the YCbCr 420 10-bit color space (DeepColorMode = 30) @60Hz on 4K HDR TV?
Since I have set YCbCr420 10bit, I always find it YCbCr422 8bit (DeepColorMode = 24).

Thanks for replying.
Official Updated firmware release V2.1.0 (Androd 7 release 10)
Available for download and details of various minor bug fixes at the Futeko forum:
http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=3726.0

Nothing essential, more incremental in nature. A few fixes for things that are said to occur "sometimes".
I updated on release using USB flash drive and the simple Settings/Upgrade menu path. It kept all my settings and Kodi unchanged. 
It may have had some minor operational improvements (but could well be placebo effect).

As always, backup first, if you upgrade and don't like any of the changes, you can downgrade to previous firmware (full instructions contained on Futeko forum).
[*New release firmware V2.1.1 (Android 7 release 11)*]
more small fixes but primarily network SMB (Samba) fixes to [/help with recent Windows 10 network changes/] (that have had numerous effects on a lot of other networked hardware, including NAS drives) as well as improving network NFS and some HDMI compatibility.  

Installed quickly last night (simple, in place upgrade from flash drive) and so far, so good.  Kept Kodi and all settings unchanged.  I use both SMB and NFS for different NAS units and will look for any changes/improvements.

Obtainable (with full instructions) from Futeko's support forum (needs a minimum of V2.0.4 already installed):
http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=3994.0
And they've finally fixed the "subtitle line skipping" bug in this new FW. Tested a bit, and it looks definitely the best FW so far. Tho' some issues with .srt subtitles are still present. 
I will update later whit some questions regarding colorspace and bitdepth output switching, as it seems still a bit "grey-area" with these Boxes.
(2017-07-17, 03:01)hdmkv Wrote: Can someone verify 23.976 is indeed fixed with 23.976 for 3D ISO's? Thanks.

Hello!

I’ve been searching through but could not find kodi mvc version for my new android tv box. Is there a link that anyone here could share? Thanks so much!
(2019-05-31, 06:31)monsthamo Wrote:
(2017-07-17, 03:01)hdmkv Wrote: Can someone verify 23.976 is indeed fixed with 23.976 for 3D ISO's? Thanks.

Hello!

I’ve been searching through but could not find kodi mvc version for my new android tv box. Is there a link that anyone here could share? Thanks so much! 
There is no Android version of the KODI MVC fork. I guess there aren't any other MVC capable playback software for Android to download. So you must stick to the factory player of the Box.
New firmware versions available for Q10 Pro & Q5 Pro.
2.1.4 (Android 7 release 14) is now available in both Official and Custom firmware versions.
There is also a Custom Firmware variation CS-AK with more striking graphics on the boot screen:
 https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=4275.0
This is the one I chose to upgrade my own Q10 Pro with ("dirty upgrade" in place, from Custom firmware 2.1.1) and it has been fine and reliable since installation last week.
Changelog is fully listed on the Official Firmware thread on the [/Futeko/] support forum
https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=4341.0
There are some minor sub-title and NFS fixes but the one that caught my interest is:
6. MK3D format video playback supported.  This suggests that .iso files are no longer required for full framepacked 3D video playback.  I will test this soon and report here.
Courtesy of @pcristi - the standard Custom firmware links can be found:
 https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=812.0
For anyone wanting to experiment, the updated Android TV Custom firmware (based on 2.1.4) is also available and has been updated:
 https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=2219.0

Always nice to see further improvements in a 2 year old box  Smile
(2016-03-25, 19:59)hdmkv Wrote:  
Hi hdmkv and all other experts,
sorry some questions, my purpose is to find a very good "tv player"
via HDMI that matches my requirements; very very unfortunately Shield Tv 2017 (fw 8.0.1) is unable to match them, therefore I plan to resend this box to Amazon.

1) I need that files 4K HDR can be downscaled to a old 1080 tv set.
Normal 4Ks
work fine with all players, but if the source is a file with HDR I become
audio only. Perhaps this is not possible.

2) There is a way to do "fast forward" and/or "frame-by-frame" in video,
connected via USB? [On Plex and Google Play in Shield TV I dont see these options].

3) There is a way to ZOOM photos in Gallery?
3bis) The photos in Gallery are organized via Date, I need them via File Names, as it happens on a normal PC  [On Shiled TV a file renamed by my 0001a, 0001b... iunfortunately is NOT displayed after 0001 and before 0002!]

4) Check for Updates: it seems blocked forever, but if I browse other options then I return to "Check",  all is ok. That maybe a bug.

5) Now the biggest problem:
all videos from my camera
sony.it/electronics/fotocamere-cyber-shot-compatte/dsc-rx100m5a/specifications
playback without audio!
audio is ok on all other
devices, inclusive an...old Vista32 from 2007 and an Oppo from 2009!
I guess that the required codec is "pcm_s16be" into a MP4
(against the official specs) or - at least! - into the usual MKV.

Step 5) is surely the most important for me, i.e. no 5) = no buy.
No, I dont want to demux, re-code the audio, remux, check for async: no, that belongs to the past not the present days Wink

So, finally the question:
what box should I buy?

Thanks a lot for suggestions and Best Regards
(2019-10-16, 20:40)anuswara Wrote:
(2016-03-25, 19:59)hdmkv Wrote:  
Hi hdmkv and all other experts,
sorry some questions, my purpose is to find a very good "tv player"
via HDMI that matches my requirements; very very unfortunately Shield Tv 2017 (fw 8.0.1) is unable to match them, therefore I plan to resend this box to Amazon.

1) I need that files 4K HDR can be downscaled to a old 1080 tv set.
Normal 4Ks
work fine with all players, but if the source is a file with HDR I become
audio only. Perhaps this is not possible.

2) There is a way to do "fast forward" and/or "frame-by-frame" in video,
connected via USB? [On Plex and Google Play in Shield TV I dont see these options].

3) There is a way to ZOOM photos in Gallery?
3bis) The photos in Gallery are organized via Date, I need them via File Names, as it happens on a normal PC  [On Shiled TV a file renamed by my 0001a, 0001b... iunfortunately is NOT displayed after 0001 and before 0002!]

4) Check for Updates: it seems blocked forever, but if I browse other options then I return to "Check",  all is ok. That maybe a bug.

5) Now the biggest problem:
all videos from my camera
sony.it/electronics/fotocamere-cyber-shot-compatte/dsc-rx100m5a/specifications
playback without audio!
audio is ok on all other
devices, inclusive an...old Vista32 from 2007 and an Oppo from 2009!
I guess that the required codec is "pcm_s16be" into a MP4
(against the official specs) or - at least! - into the usual MKV.

Step 5) is surely the most important for me, i.e. no 5) = no buy.
No, I dont want to demux, re-code the audio, remux, check for async: no, that belongs to the past not the present days Wink

So, finally the question:
what box should I buy?

Thanks a lot for suggestions and Best Regards 

Zidoo Z9S. Tho' recent HiMedia's would do the most of your requirements and has a slightly better PQ than the Zidoo's, but it has some other minor and a couple of mayor bugs for which I would rather not suggest it. Tho' most of these bugs can be solved with some setting tweaking workaround, but the Z9S is a much more "out of the box" player.

Or if you're not require the Android, than go for an S905X2 or S922X Amlogic Box with CoreElec.  Odroid N2 and WIM3 for sure, but you can ask for other options on the dedicated Amlogic Thread here on the Forum. The only downside is that Amlogic can't do proper HDR->SDR conversion (Zidoo and HiMedia does it better most of the time), if you can live with that. The one I would suggest is to forget HDR->SDR conversion in general as it can have a significant degrading effect on the PQ and rather stick with the original FHD or if available UHD SDR video versions for SDR displays.
Hi, Mount81
I warmly thank you for your detailed reply, much appreciated! I think that Zidoo is very interesting (I hope that pcm-s16be will be supported).
In meantime I found Amazon Cube but since you did not quote it, then I stay with Zidoo.
(Shield is great in PQ, speed, no lag, smooth rendering but I resend it to amazon due to the 5 - for me not little - flaws quoted above).
Thanks again. Best,
did they ever fix the 23.976 frame rate issues?
  • 101(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)8