• 14(current)
4K / HDR content
(2017-08-07, 20:45)brazen1 Wrote: So, to be clear, if I all I need to do is add XDR as a 4th player to my existing playercorefactory, making sure it points to XDRFE.exe (once it gets put in the directory via your app), all 4 players will show in 'play using' including XDR? If so great. Comparisons are only a couple button clicks with no hassle. The player setting is going to change when XDR is used and revert to default when it's closed to allow madVR subsequent playback use default settings. Now I understand. TIA.

MPC HC and MPC BE at the same time from the desktop for testing one title is also a good idea. Then one can retain a simulated .cal setting without affecting the other.....

I withdrew support for mpchc so when you setup mpcbe simply in the playercorefactory items looking for mpcbe replace the pointer to xdrfe.exe.

Example: (Your path to mpcbe) change to (path to xdrfe.exe) xdrfe is a front end that loads ALL movies passing arguments to mpcbe directly. You only need one player shown in external players call launch mpcbe or name it Launch mpcbe XDR whatever. your external players change mpcbe to xdrfe.exe. This will load xdrfe and check if cal file is present. If not it will proceed and shut down xdr wile letting madvr take over. hope this makes sense. Leave mpchc alone. At the end you should have 1 entry for mpcbe and 1 for mpchc and one for powerdvd17 whatever......

In xdrcontrol panel you set the path to mpcbe. This is stored in the regristry and called by xdrfe.exe to launch all instances of mpcbe64.exe
For nvidia users please check let applications decide color in advanced settings nvidia control panel.
But, this doesn't actually play the video in HDR though?
I've set MPC-BE to launch on my TV, which I have enabled HDR for in Windows display settings, TV is not recognizing any HDR content being displayed, and the video looks the same if I launch it on my main PC monitor
Google kodi hdr project and visit redfox thread and read first post.
Ah, now I understand the point of the project. Quite nice, and really well done. But not exactly what I'm after then. Having to manually adjust my TVs brightness would quickly become a chore, so I need a solution where the TV is properly told there is HDR going on, so it will trigger the brightness changes etc.. But you've done some really good work!
Er you familiar with any such solutions? Would the recent PowerDVD version that supports UHD Blu-ray be sufficient? (If you have a 10-series Nvidia card)
(2017-09-05, 13:57)aerandir92 Wrote: Ah, now I understand the point of the project. Quite nice, and really well done. But not exactly what I'm after then. Having to manually adjust my TVs brightness would quickly become a chore, so I need a solution where the TV is properly told there is HDR going on, so it will trigger the brightness changes etc.. But you've done some really good work!
Er you familiar with any such solutions? Would the recent PowerDVD version that supports UHD Blu-ray be sufficient? (If you have a 10-series Nvidia card)
You can always try madvr and use the sdi function set nit value to 400 and it will try to convert HDR to its best ability. This is DCI . As for XDR it's not adjusted on TV. It's done in mpcbe and saved to an XDR.Cal file to be added automatically then reset on exit. Your desktop and TV remain untouched! Have achieved wonderful results with assins Creed UHD, lala land and fate and furious. Also add 10 point contrast and -3 to my blurays and they now pop and the dull colors are gone on my whole Blu-ray collection. Great toolif you have a good eye for video.
(2017-05-24, 19:03)Soli Wrote: You can try one of these generic 3Dluts.
https://mega.nz/#!5uQAEC5Y!_sfHlVBKsNs1t...j7zqEFFCKE
@Soli hi there,
Could you please upload those 3dlut files once again? The link above seems to be dead.  Sad
Thanks,
The link works fine here... make sure you click it, don't mark+copy+paste the following: https://mega.nz/#!5uQAEC5Y!_sfHlVBKsNs1t...j7zqEFFCKE
Many thanks! Indeed, it was this. I apologize.
hhhmm. i thought this thread was to switch HDR on. i got a bit board half way though so please accept my apology if you have figured out a way to send the metadata to a tv/monitor to enable HDR.

HDR is a metadata to tell your tv/monitor to auto switch to a different 'picture profile' which is HDR. once the metadata has ended your tv/monitor switches back to the 'standard' picture profile, so as HD/SD content looks correct.

people with a true capable HDR tv/monitor know this as a logo usually appearers 'on screen' to tell the user that HDR has been engaged and playing HDR content at which point the tv/monitor switches the picture profile to HDR.

my understanding of the subject was to make it so the film producers could set different colour profiles for each 4k title so when the metadata was passed on your tv/monitor it set the correct 'hdr picture profile' but in reality its not and its just another settings profile that the user can choose to alter if they wish.

dolby came up with a way to set metadata per frame and at the moment its another 'format war' which i believe HDR will win as its open source.

from what i can see all your doing is just setting different 'colour' profiles which you should be able to do on your tv/monitor anyway.
(2018-03-03, 19:35)Bibio Wrote: hhhmm. i thought this thread was to switch HDR on. i got a bit board half way though so please accept my apology if you have figured out a way to send the metadata to a tv/monitor to enable HDR.

HDR is a metadata to tell your tv/monitor to auto switch to a different 'picture profile' which is HDR. once the metadata has ended your tv/monitor switches back to the 'standard' picture profile, so as HD/SD content looks correct.

people with a true capable HDR tv/monitor know this as a logo usually appearers 'on screen' to tell the user that HDR has been engaged and playing HDR content at which point the tv/monitor switches the picture profile to HDR.

my understanding of the subject was to make it so the film producers could set different colour profiles for each 4k title so when the metadata was passed on your tv/monitor it set the correct 'hdr picture profile' but in reality its not and its just another settings profile that the user can choose to alter if they wish.

dolby came up with a way to set metadata per frame and at the moment its another 'format war' which i believe HDR will win as its open source.

from what i can see all your doing is just setting different 'colour' profiles which you should be able to do on your tv/monitor anyway.

Sort of - but not quite.

Most HDR content currently being played is Rec 2020 (which means a different colour gamut with different RGB colour primaries and a different RGB->YCbCr mathematical conversion matrix to Rec 709) AND PQ (ST.2084) EOTF aka HDR10.

PQ is a very proscriptive standard and specifically maps video levels to specific absolute light levels on a pixel-by-pixel basis. The accompanying metadata is to help displays correctly decide how to cope with levels in the video they can't display or how to best handle the video they can. HDR10 is on a show-by-show or movie-by-movie basis, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision handle this kind of metadata scene-by-scene, shot-by-shot or frame-by-frame potentially I believe. The metadata is about assisting the display to best display a PQ source.

So we have to flag both Rec 2020 and a PQ EOTF (i.e. HDR) is being used.

HDR10 displayed in an SDR display without conversion is not at all nice. 

You can display HDR10 content with static 'fake' metadata (which is what happens when you manually force your TV into HDR10 mode) but this won't allow the display to benefit from the average and max light level metadata that is flagged within the HDR10 metadata.

HLG is not based on a PQ EOTF - though usually uses Rec 2020 colour gamut (though there are Rec 709 implementations of HLG) - and HLG is SDR backwards compatible, with no need of specific metadata. It also looks pretty good on SDR display without conversion. (That's a major USP for it)
(2018-03-03, 20:34)noggin Wrote:
(2018-03-03, 19:35)Bibio Wrote: hhhmm. i thought this thread was to switch HDR on. i got a bit board half way though so please accept my apology if you have figured out a way to send the metadata to a tv/monitor to enable HDR.

Sort of - but not quite.

Most HDR content currently being played is Rec 2020 (which means a different colour gamut with different RGB colour primaries and a different RGB->YCbCr mathematical conversion matrix to Rec 709) AND PQ (ST.2084) EOTF aka HDR10.

PQ is a very proscriptive standard and specifically maps video levels to specific absolute light levels on a pixel-by-pixel basis. The accompanying metadata is to help displays correctly decide how to cope with levels in the video they can't display or how to best handle the video they can. HDR10 is on a show-by-show or movie-by-movie basis, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision handle this kind of metadata scene-by-scene, shot-by-shot or frame-by-frame potentially I believe. The metadata is about assisting the display to best display a PQ source.

So we have to flag both Rec 2020 and a PQ EOTF (i.e. HDR) is being used.

HDR10 displayed in an SDR display without conversion is not at all nice. 

You can display HDR10 content with static 'fake' metadata (which is what happens when you manually force your TV into HDR10 mode) but this won't allow the display to benefit from the average and max light level metadata that is flagged within the HDR10 metadata.

HLG is not based on a PQ EOTF - though usually uses Rec 2020 colour gamut (though there are Rec 709 implementations of HLG) - and HLG is SDR backwards compatible, with no need of specific metadata. It also looks pretty good on SDR display without conversion. (That's a major USP for it)  
you have said it better than me but thats what i was getting at :-)

forcing a 'colour profile' is not HDR. i suppose that the workaround is a hack to get round being able to watch HDR 'washed out' content on a non HDR 4k display which is all fine and well.
Hey guys!

So sorry but wondering where we are at with PC and HDR?  I just got a new LG oled and want to play my MKV HDR10 files.  (not delivered yet)

I know Kodi doesnt support native HDR yet but from my understanding the windows 10 tv and movies app does?

What Nvidia settings do I need set?  (4k at 60hz ok)  (does windows 10 need to be in HDR mode or can I leave that mode off?)
What mode does the TV need to be set to?
When you run the MKV in windows 10 tv and movies app, I can get ATMOS and DTS-X perfectly fine but will the TV automatically "switch" into HDR mode when I full screen it?

I am totally cool with using Kodi for everything and the windows 10 video app for just 4K hdr stuff for now.

Thanks for any input!
(2018-06-01, 20:56)apachehaovk Wrote: Hey guys!

So sorry but wondering where we are at with PC and HDR?  I just got a new LG oled and want to play my MKV HDR10 files.  (not delivered yet)

I know Kodi doesnt support native HDR yet but from my understanding the windows 10 tv and movies app does?
So do a few other players and the quality is much better offering many settings the Windows Movies and TV doesn't.  The Windows app makes HDR video appear dark and oversaturated.

What Nvidia settings do I need set?  (4k at 60hz ok)  (does windows 10 need to be in HDR mode or can I leave that mode off?)
Settings are detailed in my guide linked in my signature.  For starters, matching refresh rates is preferred rather than one setting of 4k60Hz.  The Windows HDR switch needs to be manually turned on prior to using the Windows 10 Movies and TV app.  Leaving it on all the time results in the Windows desktop unusable requiring you to turn it off after playing a movie.  To avoid this manual back and forth switching, other players automate this by not using the Windows HDR switch at all and instead use 'Private API's' supplied by video card manufacturers like nVidia and AMD.

What mode does the TV need to be set to?
Enable HDR for the HDMI input on your TV from your video card.

When you run the MKV in windows 10 tv and movies app, I can get ATMOS and DTS-X perfectly fine but will the TV automatically "switch" into HDR mode when I full screen it?
I don't think so?  As described above, the Windows app must have the Windows HDR turned on for HDR video playback.  I suppose if it was always left on because you never use the Windows Desktop it would work but most people don't.

I am totally cool with using Kodi for everything and the windows 10 video app for just 4K hdr stuff for now.
When and if you decide you'd like better quality and seamless interaction (launching your HDR files to play from your KODI library) see my guide.

Thanks for any input!
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Sounds great!!  I will take a look at your guide!  Thanks for the info!

Do you think Kodi will every have native HDR playback?  Just having it set to SDR mode and autoswitch to HDR mode when content is detected?

Thanks again for the guide!
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K / HDR content1