TVHeadend 4.0 setup guide
I've written a new guide to setting up TVheadend here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2315547

I'll try to transfer to the wiki at some point as well.

Feel free to suggest any improvements to the guide.
One thing I would say is that TVheadend has a terrible setup procedure.

Its nice once its working, but damn that UI and initial workflow needs some improvement!

I'd suggest a setup wizard for new adapters.
(2016-04-20, 11:15)zag Wrote: One thing I would say is that TVheadend has a terrible setup procedure.

Its nice once its working, but damn that UI and initial workflow needs some improvement!

I'd suggest a setup wizard for new adapters.

Damn straight about that. I've had it installed before and it saw my hardware pvr, but damn if I could figure out how to get it working. I'll try with your guide very soon. Thanks for this work!
Thanks for the guide. First time i've seen this LIBREelec, I currently host my TVheadend server on my KODIBuntu box, is there any benefit of moving to LibreElec in your opinion? I quite like how the server component has been made to look simple through an addon, whereas i've previously installed it via command line.
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
(2016-05-04, 13:21)cable_guy Wrote: Thanks for the guide. First time i've seen this LIBREelec, I currently host my TVheadend server on my KODIBuntu box, is there any benefit of moving to LibreElec in your opinion? I quite like how the server component has been made to look simple through an addon, whereas i've previously installed it via command line.

I've got it on the openELEC box and its nice and quick, can't comment on the server thing as i've never tried it.
@zag - you know that the the current master (and hence next release) has a setup wizard, right? Your guide is for 4.0.9, which is the current stable - but I thought LE was bundling a later pull from master anyway:

https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.t...vheadend42
Hi,

Something I haven't seen mentioned in the guide is setting up locations to save TV recordings and use for timeshifting. I plan to use a Raspberry Pi as a TV server, so space will be very limited. Can you set it to use a Windows SMB share to save recordings to and use for timeshifting?

Thanks,

Mark
@mcelliott - yes, so long as you can mount the SMB share to the Pi before tvheadend starts (or, more accurately, tries to access the location, which is effectively the same things as it would access the recording directory to check the status of previous recordings).

Once the share is mounted, the OS sees it as local storage, as that's how Linux filesystems work. Tvheadend thus sees it as a local directory, and has no knowledge of the network connection in between.
(2016-05-10, 21:33)Prof Yaffle Wrote: @mcelliott - yes, so long as you can mount the SMB share to the Pi before tvheadend starts (or, more accurately, tries to access the location, which is effectively the same things as it would access the recording directory to check the status of previous recordings).

Once the share is mounted, the OS sees it as local storage, as that's how Linux filesystems work. Tvheadend thus sees it as a local directory, and has no knowledge of the network connection in between.

Thanks for the answer. I'll dig around into mounting SMB shares in OpenELEC for RPi. I'm sure it's not too difficult.

Best wishes,

Mark
"Thanks for the answer. I'll dig around into mounting SMB shares in OpenELEC for RPi. I'm sure it's not too difficult."
=================================================================================
Did you ever find a nice step by step procedure to mount SMB shares prior to OpenElec starting?

I had tried on a RPi3 using LibreElec to run both the KODI client and TVHeadend/backend but never got a picture which could be viewed.

I eventually erased the SD card, reloaded LibreElec, and used ServerWMC running on my laptop as my backend. It works perfectly but I don't want the laptop on 24/7 so I'd be perfectly willing to buy another RPi3 and install LibreElec and just use the TVHeadend/backend for my live/PVR server. I would not need the client running.

I'd like to use my 2TB NAS for storage of recorded TV.

Being a Linux ignoramus I do need a good step by step as so many things on linux are given missing a critical step. It is like a bomb disposal instruction which says, cut the red wire................ but not after cutting the blue wire.
Yep check my guide here for changing the recording location to a network share

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2393114
Thanks zag, I'll check your link out.
Since I am a complete noob with Linux, I created a "cheat sheet" for myself for mounting my NFS share on my Synology NAS. I am running my tvheadend server on my $30 MK808B Plus running LibreELEC (originally OpenELEC) and my recording destination is a directory on my older DS211j Synology NAS. Since my LibreELEC shows up in windows explorer on my Windows 7 machine, it makes it very to easy setup. I am constantly changing things, I use my "cheat sheet" to install tvheadend and it doesn't take me very long to get everything setup and working. Since all the LibreELEC files and folders show up under windows explorer, I only have to use Putty once or twice. Anyway, if interested, here is my "cheat sheet", obviously, you will have to use your own IP addresses of your NAS.

The easy way to mount NAS,
1. open windows explorer, go to openELEC in network directory
2. copy "autostart.sh" file into the root of configfiles directory.
3. go to system.d folder from Configfiles folder.
4. copy and paste storage-myrecordings.mount
5. (NOT NEEDED)

6. reboot OpenELEC box.
7. open putty and paste this into the root of OpenELEC.
systemctl >> systemctl enable storage-myrecordings.mount

8. Under the recording profile in the web browser use this for the recording path
/storage/myrecordings

all there is to it.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
all autostart.sh is, is a text file with this code.
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.74:/volume1/myrecordings /storage/myrecordings -o rw,nolock

echo 0 > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/cec_config

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
all the storage-myrecordings.mount is, is a text file with this

[Unit]
Description=test nfs mount
Requires=network-online.service
After=network-online.service
Before=kodi.service
#Before=xbmc.service

[Mount]
#enter in the share and place it will mount to
What=192.168.1.74:/volume1/myrecordings
Where=/storage/myrecordings
Options=
Type=nfs

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Thank you very much Clarkss12. I'll keep this on hand.
(2016-08-17, 18:46)wurlizer1928 Wrote: Thank you very much Clarkss12. I'll keep this on hand.

Did it help?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TVHeadend 4.0 setup guide0