Marvel Cinematic Universe - Movieset Ordering
(2018-06-29, 15:53)K0D1User1138 Wrote: I do not mean the movie's sorttitle as that will affect where these movies sort to in the main library and for that I want all Iron Man movies under I and all Thor movies under T, etc. 
@Powerhouse I don't think that fits the original question. I haven't tried your example there, but won't it put all movies under M instead of I for Iron Man?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@K0D1User1138

Didn't understand your problems with Playlist, so I decided to test it myself using the movie listing in Post #1 of this thread, which I assume is the correct Canonical Order.

Not only was I able to sort them in the correct Canonical Order, but they are still listed correctly in the main Movie listing... and I added it as a Main Menu item... and you can still keep the original Movie Set listing

I would expect the sub-menu to hold a number of options- Marvel, DC Comics and whatever other Movie Universes exist.

So while there is a valid way to do what you are asking for, (its definitely not a hack) I wouldn't be waiting for one of the developers to code an alternative method.

For want of a better term, this is a Cinematic Universe listing which encompasses a number of Movie Sets.

New Main Menu option which allows Cinematic Universe sub-menu

Listing of Movies in Canonical Order

The Main Movie list still sorts according to Title
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@Karellen I believe my first post in this thread was a little confusing as I noted it was a thread regarding the MCU sort order specifically but it didn't register when I wrote my post that the OP wanted the timeline order. I want, and I believe most are also looking for, the release order. You are correct that I do not want to use the sortorder to put these 19+ movies into a main library combined location under M. I have only 2 "sets" of movies which that works for, for me, and those are the James Bond films and the Man With No Name trilogy. I use sortorder quite extensively through my library to make a proper library sorting rather than the mainly straight alphabetical mess I see far too often. The 6th Day and The Sixth Sense should be side-by-side, not miles apart.

I also have my media very well curated so I'm not looking at changing the cataloging system. I do appreciate you found a method that seems to work. Again lots of people with ideas out there. I'm hoping there is a solution that can be implemented within Kodi that will work for everyone in the simplest manner. So far I've come up with what I believe to be the simplest. Maybe one of the devs will be a big MCU fan and figure how to work something in. Unless I have misunderstood your above method for getting the order you created to work?

@Powerhouse For the above noted reasons your method does not work in my library for my purposes. Thank you for presenting the option for those who may choose to utilize it.
(2018-07-01, 05:26)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Unless I have misunderstood your above method for getting the order you created to work?
I think you have.

My aim was to prove that you can create whatever sort you want. I used Canonical Order in my example. So if you are looking for Release Order, why don't you just sort on (Year)? (which I just tested using the sort order in the left sideblade menu and it works ok as expected) Or am I misunderstanding something?

I no longer understand what solution you are looking for.

Anyway I'll leave you with it. Probably not a lot more I can add to what I have already shown. Smile
My Signature
(2018-07-01, 05:40)Karellen Wrote:
(2018-07-01, 05:26)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Unless I have misunderstood your above method for getting the order you created to work?
I think you have.

My aim was to prove that you can create whatever sort you want. I used Canonical Order in my example. So if you are looking for Release Order, why don't you just sort on (Year)? (which I just tested using the sort order in the left sideblade menu and it works ok as expected) Or am I misunderstanding something?

Anyway I'll leave you with it. Probably not a lot more I can add to what I have already shown. Smile 
 Sorting by year only partially works. Problems begin when multiple movies have the same release year because then the default sub-sort method is full alphabetical. So in 2011 Captain America: The First Avenger comes in a year sorted list before Thor, even though Thor was reased first.

This year it's worse because the 3 MCU films released will appear in this sort method in reverse order.

Ant-Man and The Wasp (July 6, 2018)
Avengers: Infinity War (April 27, 2018)
Black Panther (Feb 16, 2018)

If I create a Smart Playlist and put the movies in the order I want (release) Kodi seems to lack the ability to read that playlist order and present it properly the way an ipod will show you the order you put songs into your music playlist. I've searched for an explanation and/or correction to this but haven't been able to find one.

If there's a method to set an order within a movie set then I can utilize that to my purpose for not just the MCU films but for a number of other sets. It would be, IMO, a good universal item that can benefit anyone who uses Kodi. That why I'd like to hope it can be implemented. Maybe someday.
(2018-07-01, 00:42)Karellen Wrote:
(2018-06-29, 15:53)K0D1User1138 Wrote: I do not mean the movie's sorttitle as that will affect where these movies sort to in the main library and for that I want all Iron Man movies under I and all Thor movies under T, etc. 
@Powerhouse I don't think that fits the original question. I haven't tried your example there, but won't it put all movies under M instead of I for Iron Man? 
Simple Answer, turn off the feature that groups Movie Sets, when you searching through your movies. From the Wiki...

Show Movie Sets
Settings level:Standard
Description:When enabled, movies that are tagged with a "Movie set" are grouped together under one entry in the movie library. This entry can then be opened to display the individual movies. When disabled, each movie will have its own entry in the movie library, even if it belongs to a set. It has no affect on the Movie Sets node.

This will fix the issue, of Iron Man listed under "I", but it means when you are scanning through your movies, no sets will be displayed. Instead you will have to look under Movie Sets to see the groupings of your various Movie Sets.

Now, if you are talking about having a Movie Set for Iron Man, and then a separate Movie Set for Marvel (that Includes Iron Man), you can't do this. Again from the Wiki...

Note: Movies can only be used in one set at a time. To use movies in more than one collection requires a different method using Tags. See: video library tags.
(2018-07-01, 06:16)K0D1User1138 Wrote:
(2018-07-01, 05:40)Karellen Wrote:
I think you have.

Sorting by year only partially works. Problems begin when multiple movies have the same release year because then the default sub-sort method is full alphabetical.

The db stores 2 fields Year and Premiered Date. What you describe will only happen if only the Year field is filled, as when the Premiered Date field is filled by the scraper then Kodi will sort on the full date thus ordering stuff released within same year correctly.
(2018-07-01, 09:04)Powerhouse Wrote: Simple Answer, turn off the feature that groups Movie Sets, when you searching through your movies. From the Wiki...
Nope, that won't work. First it is a hassle to first visit the Settings pages before browsing your library.

But more importantly, you are forgetting about <sorttitle> which is a global tag. This means it is not restricted to just the Movie Set view. It will also be used in your Main Movie Listing and anywhere movies titles are displayed.

So using <sorttitle>Marvel Superheroes 02</sorttitle> will cause the correctly named Iron Man to be sitting down at M in the list, if you are sorted by Title.

A quote also from the Movie Sets wiki page...

Be aware that using Sort Order will also affect the Title sort order in the main library view. In most cases, this is preferable.
My Signature
(2018-07-01, 09:35)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2018-07-01, 06:16)K0D1User1138 Wrote:
(2018-07-01, 05:40)Karellen Wrote: I think you have.

Sorting by year only partially works. Problems begin when multiple movies have the same release year because then the default sub-sort method is full alphabetical.  

The db stores 2 fields Year and Premiered Date. What you describe will only happen if only the Year field is filled, as when the Premiered Date field is filled by the scraper then Kodi will sort on the full date thus ordering stuff released within same year correctly.  
 Son of a......

Universal Movie Scraper is filling out every 'premiered' as XXXX-01-01.

When I fixed Thor and Cap' 1 the year sort order worked.

What a perfectly simple yet completely elegant solution.

@jjd-uk you magnificent bastard! Where were you when I was spending more hours than I should have mucking around with this nonsense?

I can't thank you enough. Well other than I was about to go to bed and now I'm fixing a ton of movie .nfo's. But still. Thank you. A ton!

@Karellen Thank you as well for continuing to work for a solution. Now we both know and knowing is half the battle!

What do you use to generate those nfo’s? as that sounds familiar.
It was import issue described here I was remembering https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=251922 but from what I gather that should be solved.
(2018-07-01, 11:19)jjd-uk Wrote: What do you use to generate those nfo’s? as that sounds familiar.
 I export my library to movie folders. I work hard to curate my large library so every movie is in it's own folder with identical folder/file name, all the artwork I want to use and a locally stored trailer in the best quality I can obtain.

When I scrape into my library all the scraper is doing is filling in the movie's information, mainly from IMDb. The artwork and trailer are already local. Once I confirm the scraped information to be correct plus add any tags I use for my sorting/icons I do a library export which creates the .nfo file in the movie directory.

This way if my library ever goes corrupt (and it has) all I have to do next time is scan each parent folder and all the information is already there.

I have 12 8TB drives for HD movies set up as specific letters. A+B, C+D, E+F, G+H, I+J, K+L, M+N, O+P+Q, R, S, T, U+V+W+X+Y+Z. I use a 4TB drive for any non-HD movies in one mega folder then another 4TB drive for "other" movies like Documentaries, Stand-up and Music Concerts, 4KUHD (which I only have a few and currently for testing purposes) and then 6 4TB drives for all my TV shows. Still lots of room to expand other than the A+B drive which is down to about 250GB free.

The .nfo files are heaven for so many things. It's a fantastic feature of Kodi but I do which there was a method of exporting on an individual movie/TV Show episode basis. But you can also override all .nfo files with newer versions as well which is great if you do a library wide update to something like IMBd scores and want to save the newest results.

Figured out UMS was mostly scraping 'premiered' without month and day, then not scraping it at all and now scraping it properly. Now I need to figure out if I can force a full library 'premiered' refresh to get all that info in.
(2018-07-01, 09:38)Karellen Wrote:
(2018-07-01, 09:04)Powerhouse Wrote: Simple Answer, turn off the feature that groups Movie Sets, when you searching through your movies. From the Wiki...
Nope, that won't work. First it is a hassle to first visit the Settings pages before browsing your library.

But more importantly, you are forgetting about <sorttitle> which is a global tag. This means it is not restricted to just the Movie Set view. It will also be used in your Main Movie Listing and anywhere movies titles are displayed.

So using <sorttitle>Marvel Superheroes 02</sorttitle> will cause the correctly named Iron Man to be sitting down at M in the list, if you are sorted by Title.

A quote also from the Movie Sets wiki page...

Be aware that using Sort Order will also affect the Title sort order in the main library view. In most cases, this is preferable. 
 Bah, just when you think you know Kodi, you end up learning something new.

So maybe put in a request to not have "sortitle" affect your whole library (or just work with "sets") to fix this issue. After all, would you really use "sorttitle" on anything other than Movie Sets?
The 6th Day
A Bridge Too Far
"Death Proof"

I use sorttitle all the time. Even within the MCU I use sorttitle for Thor 01 Thor 02 and Thor 03. I have a feeling some people's libraries would drive me insane to look through.
Ok, I'm lost, why would you need Sorttitle on these...

The 6th Day
A Bridge Too Far
"Death Proof"

And as I said, Sorttitle would be great if is just worked with Sets (like Thor 01, Thor 02, Thor 03).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Marvel Cinematic Universe - Movieset Ordering0