Marvel Cinematic Universe - Movieset Ordering
Because the 6th Day and The Sixth Sense should sit side-by-side in a library, not one at the beginning and one near the end.

Because nothing should ever be cataloged by "A"

Because "Death Proof" is a D movie, not a " movie.

And if you use sorttitle for ONLY movie sets then how do you use movie sets to put the 19 and counting MCU movies into a "set" while having Thor 1-3, Iron Man 1-3, Captain America 1-3, Guardians of the Galaxy 1-3 located properly under T, I, C and G?

Man of Steel is sorted in my library as Superman 31, because it's a Superman movie. It's also a DCEU movie. That requires a "set" or smart playlist to organize.

Sorttitle works perfectly fine the way it is now. Having an additional sort function for movie sets would be nice. Being able to create a smart playlist with a specific order of titles that Kodi will recognize and display in the stated order would be fantastic (AFI 100 Years 100 Films). As it stands having a smart playlist for the MCU and the premiered field properly scrapped puts the MCU movies into the MCU order. Only a very tiny fraction of people would want the chronological timeline order like the OP of this thread.
For stuff beginning with A did you know you can add to the Sort Tokens that get ignored when the "Ignore articles when sorting" option is enabled, see https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#sorttokens
I did not. It's one of those features of Kodi that's there but not always front page news. I will look into it as it will make scraping new movies a little bit quicker. Thanks again for the tidbits of info!
(2018-07-02, 07:45)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Because the 6th Day and The Sixth Sense should sit side-by-side in a library, not one at the beginning and one near the end.

Because nothing should ever be cataloged by "A"

Because "Death Proof" is a D movie, not a " movie.

And if you use sorttitle for ONLY movie sets then how do you use movie sets to put the 19 and counting MCU movies into a "set" while having Thor 1-3, Iron Man 1-3, Captain America 1-3, Guardians of the Galaxy 1-3 located properly under T, I, C and G?

Man of Steel is sorted in my library as Superman 31, because it's a Superman movie. It's also a DCEU movie. That requires a "set" or smart playlist to organize.

Sorttitle works perfectly fine the way it is now. Having an additional sort function for movie sets would be nice. Being able to create a smart playlist with a specific order of titles that Kodi will recognize and display in the stated order would be fantastic (AFI 100 Years 100 Films). As it stands having a smart playlist for the MCU and the premiered field properly scrapped puts the MCU movies into the MCU order. Only a very tiny fraction of people would want the chronological timeline order like the OP of this thread.
 What you are describing is personal preferences. If a guest is at your house, and looking to play the movie "The 6th Day" they would look under either "T" for The, or "6" in numbers. As that is the actual name of the Movie. I get your decision to make the name "The Sixth Day" and you can find it next to "The Sixth Sense" but that is actually not the name of the Movie (and this can affect Kodi's internal scraping of said movie as well).

Also as jjd-uk mentioned, you can get rid of the "A" and "The" in movie titles, with a simple switch (pretty sure there is actual a button to do this, and not having to go and adjust the "Advanced Settings", but either or, accomplishes the same thing.

Finally, my request for using "SortTitle" for just sets, actually fixes the issues brought up by myself, and Karellen. Specifically, you would see these listings when scrolling down your entire movie list...

Iron Man 1 (2008)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Iron Man 3 (2013)

Captain American 1 The First Avenger (2011)
Captain American 2 The Winter Soldier (2014)
Captain American 3 Civil War (2016)
etc...

Again using MediaElch (or some other Media Manager), you could actually change the names to the above, so they are in the correct order, when you are browsing your library.

But in Movie Sets, you would see the complete Marvel Superheroes collection...

1 Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
2 Iron Man (2008)
3 Iron Man 2 (2010)
4 Thor (2011)
5 The Incredible Hulk (2008)
6 Avengers Assemble (2012)
7 Iron Man 3 (2013)
8 Thor 2: The Dark World (2013)
9 Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
10 Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
11 Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
12 Ant-Man (2015)
13 Captain America: Civil War (2016) Not yet set
14 Dr. Strange (2016) Not yet set

So having "Sorttitle" used just for Sets is a Win/Win for everyone (as long as you know to do further customizing, you would need a Media Manager, and couldn't just rely on Kodi's internal scrappers). There are also sequels to movies that have entirely different names "First Blood" and then "Rambo" comes to mind, that only a Media Manager (or you editing the .NFO files) can fix these in a full Movie listing. But in Sets, it would look fine.
Your "preference" for changing the function of sorttitle to suit only your very specific and narrow view would not be beneficial and win-win for all. You need to understand how sorttitle works and why it is there on a global scale.

What you want is a parameter within the movieset string to allow for a specified sort order that applies directly to that specific movie set. All your examples require additional work and knowledge above and beyond what sorttitle currently is used for and implemented. I use sorttitle for a variety of reasons and methods and I have never had a guest complain they couldn't find a movie in an in-proper location because of how the title is written. The MCU phase ordering isuse I had has been resolved and thus resolved a number of other sorting issues I was hoping to fix.

To address what the OP of this thread wanted may be achieved with a new movieset sort parameter but would ultimately be fixed if Kodi read smart playlists in proper sequence order like how iTunes reads, displays and plays back a music playlist. The first movie in the list is the first movie listed. Second is second and so on. Right now Kodi glitches and just presents the list in a random order if set to "playlist" sortorder. It's a bug I've been reading about that's been around for awhile.
The simply thing most likely would be a SetOrder[ db entry that would only need to hold a integer numerical value (1, 2, 3 etc) since a movie can only belong to one set.
(2018-07-02, 18:25)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Your "preference" for changing the function of sorttitle to suit only your very specific and narrow view would not be beneficial and win-win for all. You need to understand how sorttitle works and why it is there on a global scale.

What you want is a parameter within the movieset string to allow for a specified sort order that applies directly to that specific movie set. All your examples require additional work and knowledge above and beyond what sorttitle currently is used for and implemented. I use sorttitle for a variety of reasons and methods and I have never had a guest complain they couldn't find a movie in an in-proper location because of how the title is written. The MCU phase ordering isuse I had has been resolved and thus resolved a number of other sorting issues I was hoping to fix.

To address what the OP of this thread wanted may be achieved with a new movieset sort parameter but would ultimately be fixed if Kodi read smart playlists in proper sequence order like how iTunes reads, displays and plays back a music playlist. The first movie in the list is the first movie listed. Second is second and so on. Right now Kodi glitches and just presents the list in a random order if set to "playlist" sortorder. It's a bug I've been reading about that's been around for awhile.
 Actually changing "sorttitle" fixes exactly what is currently lacking. The Concurrent display of Individual Movies, when you have "Sets" turned on. Currently when viewing your entire Movie list, you will only see Single Movies and Movie Sets (but not the individual Movies in those Sets) if the "Sets" feature is enabled (so you wouldn't see Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, but instead would only see the Movie Set "Marvel Superheroes" or whatever you called the Movie Set. 

However, this would not fix the Movies is multiple sets issue (Iron Man Set, Captain America Set, Marvel Superheroes set), which jjd-uk has already mentioned.

Also, I'm pretty sure, you had to at some point manually change each Movie Title you adjusted using "sorttitle", which required additional knowledge and work as well. Plus your current fix was to fix the "Premiered date", requiring additional knowledge (which you learned from this thread), and time to fix all your Movies data. I, on the other hand, simply changed the Movie Display name to fix the issue's you've brought up (but in my case, I used a Media Manager to do this easily).

I do like jjd-uk's proposal to use a different "SetOrder" instead of messing with "Sorttitle" to avoid people who used "Sorttitle" to make changes to their database (as you have).

And don't get me wrong, both methods would require additional work to implement, but in the end, would provide a better experience for the Kodi end users.
(2018-07-02, 21:29)Powerhouse Wrote:
(2018-07-02, 18:25)K0D1User1138 Wrote: Your "preference" for changing the function of sorttitle to suit only your very specific and narrow view would not be beneficial and win-win for all. You need to understand how sorttitle works and why it is there on a global scale.

Actually changing "sorttitle" fixes exactly what is currently lacking. The Concurrent display of Individual Movies, when you have "Sets" turned on. Currently when viewing your entire Movie list, you will only see Single Movies and Movie Sets (but not the individual Movies in those Sets) if the "Sets" feature is enabled (so you wouldn't see Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, but instead would only see the Movie Set "Marvel Superheroes" or whatever you called the Movie Set. 

However, this would not fix the Movies is multiple sets issue (Iron Man Set, Captain America Set, Marvel Superheroes set), which jjd-uk has already mentioned.

Also, I'm pretty sure, you had to at some point manually change each Movie Title you adjusted using "sorttitle", which required additional knowledge and work as well. Plus your current fix was to fix the "Premiered date", requiring additional knowledge (which you learned from this thread), and time to fix all your Movies data. I, on the other hand, simply changed the Movie Display name to fix the issue's you've brought up (but in my case, I used a Media Manager to do this easily).

I do like jjd-uk's proposal to use a different "SetOrder" instead of messing with "Sorttitle" to avoid people who used "Sorttitle" to make changes to their database (as you have).

And don't get me wrong, both methods would require additional work to implement, but in the end, would provide a better experience for the Kodi end users. 
Sorttitle is fine. It works as intended and as a function of a media manager like many other media mangers use it. There is no reason to hi-jack sorttitle to "fix" a problem that seems to only affect 1 person and leave no solution for what sorttitle already does. All of your examples lead to specific results that affect only your situation and ignores or dismisses any other examples and logic to achieve your singular specific goal.

My MCU list is exactly what I wanted. It took no further exploits or hi-jacks of Kodi but rather simply ensuring all the correct information that Kodi and Universal Movie Scraper are capable of gathering. I am grateful to have learnt that is was that simple.

If you want to have more function with movie sets, something that not everyone uses and I have no interest in, then look for a solution that affects movie sets directly and does not remove a global function that is a staple in various media managers.
....Well i have managed to create a new Category "MCU" in the Main menue. And 4 Submenues for the Phases. But what do i need to do, to get the right movies be displayed in the submenues/Phases?? After creating the submenues i can select e. g. Favorite, Script......?
Read this page... https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items

And follow the Aeon Nox Silvo guide as it is the most comprehensive. You will need to find the same screens in whichever skin you are using.

You just need to separate the movies that you want listed as shown in 2 and 3 of the guide.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thank you Karelle!!

I will work my way through these instructions. From what i see there are several ways (smart playlists, Nodes, Tags...), is there one approach that you can recomment?
From my personal experience, Smart Playlists is the easiest to implement. Even easier if those movies are in their own Source. eg, put all your superhero movies in its own Source Movies-Superheros
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-09-29, 11:41)Karellen Wrote: From my personal experience, Smart Playlists is the easiest to implement. Even easier if those movies are in their own Source. eg, put all your superhero movies in its own Source Movies-Superheros
 ...ok. i will go for the smart playlists. But i would not add them as a own source.

Right mow all my movies are on a Syno NAS in the Movies share. I would create a own folderpath under the movie share:
MCU/Phase 1/1/Iron Man (2008)/Irpn Man.iso....

Or would it be better to have an own MCU Share and add this as a separate source for Kodi??
...i finally created an own MCU share on my Syno NAS.

In this Folders for Phase 1, Phase 2...4

In each Phase Folders 1, 2, 3 with the movie Folders inside.

Then created Smart Playlists for MCU and for each individual Phase, sorted by file path, no grouping.

In Rapier Skin i then created a new category "MCU" with Subcategories for the phases, those connected to the corresponding smart Playlists (Show, not Play!).

Looks nice, fully satisfied with this Approach:-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Marvel Cinematic Universe - Movieset Ordering0