Pictures in 4K
Hi guys

I'm up for a new TV, might be that I buy a 4K (UHD) model. Too be honest, I don't really care about the difference between 1080p and 4K in movies, but I do think there's an improvement in watching still pictures (i.e. high res photos).

Simple question: Does Kodi support showing pictures in native 4K?

At first I simply assumed Kodi will adapt to whatever resolution the OS is set, but then I read in some old post that it won't go over 1080p with photos, even if it shows movies and series in native 4K. Is that true?

Thanks!
Unfortunately this is still true!
I have a 4k TV and Kodi running on a Odroid C2 attached to it. The screen resolution is correctly set to 4k, videos are displayed with 4k but pictures are displayed with, I assume, HD resolution. Diagonal lines have clearly visible steps.

Kodi also changes the contrast/color settings of the pictures! This is also not what I want.

This behaviour is independend of the path you use to display the picture. So pictures from local dirs, samba shares or send to kodi using upnp/dlna, all show the same problems.

It seems that there is a initial picture "enhancement" applied to all pictures prior to displaying the picture. This "enhancement" reduces the resolution to HD.

Last note: using the key "o" to display the metadata of the current picture shows the correct 4k resolution.

I think this is a bug!.

With regards
aixhex
It depends on which OS you are running.
Windows 10 at the moment?
I did not try Windows.
I did check Raspbian (Debian), Android and LibreELEC (Debian) and observed the above mentioned behavior.

Is there anywhere an option to disable this default image processing? Config file?
I believe Windows 10 should be able to show photos in whatever resolution the PC can support, but most ARM OSes are likely limited to 1080 for performance reasons.
Ah great. Blush
I just got the Vero4K, with Kodi (osmc) and the problem is still there
1080p for pictures even is the interface set to 2160p and all videos are playing at this resolution.

Any solutions?

Vincent
Version have evolved but I still have the same problem
Can someone help about this?

1080p only for pictures display even is the interface set to 2160p and all videos are playing in at this resolution.

Thanks
I too would love to be able to display my photo library in a native 4k resolution.
Kodi 19
It's hardware dependant but I can confirm it works on my Shield TV.

Settings > System > Display

General - Resolution - 3840x2160p
Set GUI resolution limit - Unlimited

Restart Kodi.
(2019-01-16, 21:01)Hitcher Wrote: It's hardware dependant but I can confirm it works on my Shield TV.

Settings > System > Display

General - Resolution - 3840x2160p
Set GUI resolution limit - Unlimited

Restart Kodi.

And if this doesn't work on your platform check your kodi debug log and look for
Code:
18:47:16.944 T:176063210736    INFO: GLES: Maximum texture width: 16384
​​​​

The maximum texture width will determine the max size of the photo we can display.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
thanks for the information
Me you, specially my professional shots!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pictures in 4K0