Two TVH backends - one for recording and one for watching
Hi,

I have one main KODI instance running on a Linux machine in my living room (on my TV) which I use with my family to watch movies, TV shows and mainly liveTV. I have tvheadend installed there directly. So backend and client on the same device. works perfect. This linux PC does not run 24/7 ...
Then I have a RPI2 with tvheadend installed - just tvheadend without any other software. this one runs 24/7. This device I just had for experimenting and watching liveTV with my phones and tablets.

Now I would like to make recordings and watch them on my main TV in the living room. As the main KODI machine is not on all the time I record liveTV with the RPI. These recordings are then of course stored on this device and I cannot watch them on the main machine.

So the question is - is it possible to use one instance of tvheadend for watching and one for recording and then watching the recordings on the main instance (which is not the recording instance)?

any ideas?
thanks,
/krijeck
rebuilding ....
I think the pvr.hts only supports one tvheadend backend. You could switch backbends by changing the backend details, and probably putting the commands on a remote button.

This would be an ideal situation for mythtv which supports slave backbends.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
This is possible and explained in other forums.
Install tvheadend client twice to connect to each backend.
You need to copy /storage/.kodi/addons/pvr.hts to pvr.hts2
and rename addon.xml title of the addon.

Search and find better instructions if needed.
The easiest way is simply to mount the second backend as a remote filesystem to the main HTPC - in other words, just have a shortcut that leads to an NFS/SMB map to the recording directory of the Pi.

You may also be able to do something with SAT>IP, but I don't know how that handles (if at all) the publishing of recordings from one machine to another, versus publishing the tuners themselves so they're available to a remote machine (which is the intent).
This exposes one of the shortcomings of Tvheadend: you cannot manually add files into Tvheadend's recorded database.

One solution to try would be to export the location where your RPi is saving recordings to as a NFS or SMB share. Then in your other devices set up that shared location as media source; changing the way that you have TVH name the files can facilitate making then easier to navigate, as well as making them easier to scrape for metadata if you want to have those files added to a library as well.
@menno 's suggestion seems sound.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Two TVH backends - one for recording and one for watching0