• 13(current)
adblink 6.1 Windows/Mac/Linux Companion for Kodi
Okay, so having received recent notification of this semi-resurrected thread, I feel compelled to mention that after a very-long-ago post in which I mentioned that I used adbLink for a lot of incredibly useful things, but not as a primary back-up tool for my Fire TV devices, I now need to report that adbLink is now also my primary back-up tool for every Android-based device I own, including all of my Fire TV devices. As it turns out, I was the one who didn't quite understand the full capabilities and potential functionality of this amazing app (definitely not the first time that's happened).

As I've mentioned before, Jocala, your efforts are both appreciated and valued.
Disclaimer: There were no KODI developers either injured or killed during the posting of this message.
Thanks!
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2021-01-06, 04:22)jocala Wrote: USB drives and SD cards both can be formatted as internal or portable. The link is Android and also applies to the Fire stick (which is just Amazon's fork of Android). It might not be your problem, but this exact issue came up in an email recently and that was the resolution in that case. Anyway good luck.

I'm probably being a bit thick - appreciate that Fire stick is just a fork of android, but that formatting functionality that is shown in the link, with the screenshots - that's not available on fire stick is it ??  (apologies if I'm being dumb, greatful for the advice)
(2021-01-06, 12:35)dubster Wrote:
(2021-01-06, 04:22)jocala Wrote: USB drives and SD cards both can be formatted as internal or portable. The link is Android and also applies to the Fire stick (which is just Amazon's fork of Android). It might not be your problem, but this exact issue came up in an email recently and that was the resolution in that case. Anyway good luck.

I'm probably being a bit thick - appreciate that Fire stick is just a fork of android, but that formatting functionality that is shown in the link, with the screenshots - that's not available on fire stick is it ??  (apologies if I'm being dumb, greatful for the advice)
I think you're offered the choice of type of format (portable/internal) on any Android (Marshmallow and above), including Fire. Given your partition structure (/storage/336D-52D7) I don't think that this is your problem. Hopefully your logs can provide a clue.
Hi jocala, first of all, adbLink great software.

I have some suggestions/request for your app. 

1) If I have 2 (or more) network card I always get an error on the start of the program, but still works after press "OK" button (Windows 10). 
2) Could you add support for changing name of the package for kodi? For some reason (Sony Android TV have some stupid obstructions), I'm using a custom build with a different name of the Kodi package and would appreciate if I could change the name. 

Thank you for
(2021-02-25, 16:57)czjohny Wrote: Hi jocala, first of all, adbLink great software.

I have some suggestions/request for your app. 

1) If I have 2 (or more) network card I always get an error on the start of the program, but still works after press "OK" button (Windows 10). 
2) Could you add support for changing name of the package for kodi? For some reason (Sony Android TV have some stupid obstructions), I'm using a custom build with a different name of the Kodi package and would appreciate if I could change the name. 

Thank you for
adbLink doesn't do anything specific regarding your network. It merely uses the IP you supply to "adb connect" to the device. I'll research this though.

Unfortunately, I can't change the package name of an application, only the developers can.
(2021-02-25, 19:23)jocala Wrote: adbLink doesn't do anything specific regarding your network. It merely uses the IP you supply to "adb connect" to the device. I'll research this though.

Unfortunately, I can't change the package name of an application, only the developers can.

Thank you for the quick reply,
the first error shows before connection - after a while, I open the application "Network error".
I did not mean to change the name of the application - only the name of the package for finding Kodi files with your app - Move Kodi Data, Backup, Restore, or navigation in the File manager. Just to add some variable in settings with a default "org.xbmc.kodi ".
(2021-02-25, 21:30)czjohny Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 19:23)jocala Wrote: adbLink doesn't do anything specific regarding your network. It merely uses the IP you supply to "adb connect" to the device. I'll research this though.

the first error shows before connection - after a while, I open the application "Network error".
I did not mean to change the name of the application - only the name of the package for finding Kodi files with your app - Move Kodi Data, Backup, Restore, or navigation in the File manager. Just to add some variable in settings with a default "org.xbmc.kodi ".
I see, thanks.  Thank you for the suggestion. I'll research this.
(2021-02-25, 22:19)jocala Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 21:30)czjohny Wrote:

This is the error I'm getting (sometimes the number is not 99), but the app works fine after pressing "Cancel" button. 

(2021-03-12, 21:14)czjohny Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 22:19)jocala Wrote:
(2021-02-25, 21:30)czjohny Wrote: Thank you for the quick reply,
This is the error I'm getting (sometimes the number is not 99), but the app works fine after pressing "Cancel" button. 

Thanks for the feedback.  As far as I can determine, the error is from the QT framework used to build adbLink: "99 – Unknown Network Error."   Not very helpful.  I haven't seen it, myself.  I'm unsure why you are...
If I have multiple connected devices, can I perform parallel restores? I tried it with two connected devices and even though I think I selected the correct device before clicking restore, it restored to the same device twice and none to the other device.
(2021-03-22, 17:19)badbob001 Wrote: If I have multiple connected devices, can I perform parallel restores? I tried it with two connected devices and even though I think I selected the correct device before clicking restore, it restored to the same device twice and none to the other device.

Yes, both parallel backup and restore work.  However, with the bandwidth being divided between devices, there's no real time savings.
(2021-03-22, 17:54)jocala Wrote:
(2021-03-22, 17:19)badbob001 Wrote: If I have multiple connected devices, can I perform parallel restores? I tried it with two connected devices and even though I think I selected the correct device before clicking restore, it restored to the same device twice and none to the other device.

Yes, both parallel backup and restore work.  However, with the bandwidth being divided between devices, there's no real time savings.

For me the advantage is not having to remember to go back and start the next one.
(2021-03-22, 19:18)msnow Wrote:
(2021-03-22, 17:54)jocala Wrote:

For me the advantage is not having to remember to go back and start the next one.

Yep.  BTW, I just re-tested parallel ops just to make sure that a code regression didn't slip in, and it's working as expected here ...
(2021-03-22, 20:04)jocala Wrote:
(2021-03-22, 19:18)msnow Wrote:
(2021-03-22, 17:54)jocala Wrote: Yes, both parallel backup and restore work.  However, with the bandwidth being divided between devices, there's no real time savings.

Yep.  BTW, I just re-tested parallel ops just to make sure that a code regression didn't slip in, and it's working as expected here ...
But do I have to initiate the backup or restore per device one at a time or is there a way to apply an action to all connected devices? I must have messed up selecting the correct device when initiating the restore and the restore occurred on the wrong device. I also face this selection ambiguity in the file manager, where I push a file and it gets uploaded to the unintended directory pane. I just make sure I double/triple select the correct pane before I initiate an action.

If actions for multiple devices can be batched and queued, it'll make keeping all of them in sync much easier.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
adblink 6.1 Windows/Mac/Linux Companion for Kodi2