Last.FM scraper?
Hi everyone! Congratulations for creating this section in the forum devoted to music! I have always been very interested in using Kodi for music since I think it has a lot of potential. In my humble opinion a big step forward would be to take advantage of all the main sources of music information available and obviously Last.fm is one of them. I'm aware that we already have the Universal artist & album scraper but I don't know why there's no other scrapers that allow scraping bios and other information and pictures from Last.fm. I know that in the past there was a Last.fm scraper but not anymore... Is there any reason I'm not aware of?

Thanks
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
If I remember correctly last.fm does not want that kodi scrapes their information due to the traffic it creates.
I could understand that, but then there is and add-on, Artist Slideshow, that is used in a lot ok skins and that fetches information and pictures from Last.fm without any problem... in fact I would be very happy if that information could be passed to the library somehow...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
You better get programing...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sure, the last.fm scraper was really, really good. I would love if it came back but this does not seem to be in the hands of any guy involved with kodi. If last.fm does not want their websites scraped, then there's nothing that can be done about it. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that other addons using last.fm will not break. I use the playlist generators for music and music videos that use last.fm "similar tracks" and "similar artists" daily and I'd hate if these break,
Last.FM changed their api so it would no longer return artist pictures, but bio, albums, and similar artists still get returned. But you might need to get a personal api key (Artist Slideshow author provides an api key for his addon) from Last.FM.

http://www.last.fm/api/intro

As an aside, I don't think using an api is properly referred to as "scraping" (which I take to mean parsing html pages with something like Beautifulsoup), but I know the term is in general use as "retrieve online info" in Kodi.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Yep no more pictures on their API so its pretty useless.

Use the universal scraper and change to TADB bio's and you will get virtually the same as they were all Creative Commons licensed from echonest in the first place Wink

Any new artist added to TADB checks echonest for bio's automatically.

EDIT: as you know, spanish bio's are not automatic and must be copied from wikipedia. Looks like your making good progress with that though!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Last.FM scraper?0