Multi Disc Albums (Box Set)
Like many people I'm going through my music re-tagging as necessary and would appeciate some help on 'best practice', both for current Kodi settings and likely additions. I'm currently using the lastest Kodi 17 (20160619)

With multi disc albums I have them arranged as:-

composer\album\cd1\track1
composer\album\cd1\track2
composer\album\cd2\track1
composer\album\cd2\track2

with covers

composer\album\folder.jpg
composer\album\cd1\folder.jpg
composer\album\cd2\folder.jpg

albums are tagged with Disc Number and Total Discs.

1. Can't get Kodi to recognise a box cover or individual images for each disc. As above the image from CD2 is displayed both in the album listing and as the image for CD1\track1 and CD2\track1 etc.

2. Kodi seems to lump the tracks together so you get track1, track1, track2, track2, etc.

3. Kodi seems to require that each disc has the same name. Not that Musicbrainz is consistant but should each disc be tagged with the same album title, or with title:CD1 etc. Would the Disc Subtitle tag (TSST) be preferable?

Any thoughts or ideas how other people arrange things would be appreciated.
- you have to put all tracks into one single folder
- to distinguish the different cd's manually you can rename your tracks like 1-04 Title of song.mp3 for disc 1
(the id tag for the track number obviously is just '04' not '1-04')
- as you already did Kodi needs the disc number to distinguish the discs
- each disc should be tagged with the same album title, no CD1 or something like that
- to sort them within Kodi you should try the sort option in the context menu, one of them (don't remember the name) does exactly what you need
- BTW: Musicbrainz and Picard suck!!!
With the exception of artwork Kodi music library really doesn't mind what folder structure you use, the library uses the music file tags. Tag as fully as pssible and eventually Kodi will catch up with you - I'm working on it! But I am aware that there are current weaknesses with respect to disc sets (although it is not fresh in my mind).

(2016-06-19, 12:18)john.hind Wrote: 1. Can't get Kodi to recognise a box cover or individual images for each disc. As above the image from CD2 is displayed both in the album listing and as the image for CD1\track1 and CD2\track1 etc.
Allowing for individual art per disc of a set is an outstanding feature request. Currently only album/set art is supported, sorry.

Quote:2. Kodi seems to lump the tracks together so you get track1, track1, track2, track2, etc.
Sorting by track will use the disc number too. If you can't get that working then come back.

Quote:3. Kodi seems to require that each disc has the same name. Not that Musicbrainz is consistant but should each disc be tagged with the same album title, or with title:CD1 etc. Would the Disc Subtitle tag (TSST) be preferable?

Because of the lack of multi-disc art support some people treat each disc of a set as a separate album with the disc number in the title. However this is incompatible with using Musicbrainz Id tags, and could get in a knot if trying to import extra data from online sources. Personally I would accept the artwork issue (for now) and treat the disc set as a single album, hence all tracks are tagged with the same album title.

Kodi does not read TSST tag, but I will make a note to check it when I get back to tag improvement.
Everything is arranged as one disc per folder as above, and Kodi seems quite happy with that. As far as tagging goes I'd prefer to not do it too often, so long as I don't break anything in the process. I realise this is an on-going work-in-progress, which has come a long way so far.

1. If that's as-is then that's fine. If I put a folder.jpg in the root it'll just get ignored for now.

2. I can get (disc number)(track number) in the listing. It just looks a bit messy for single discs. Perhaps an option for disc number, or a couple of spaces if none. (hows that for a quick'n'dirty solution.)

3. The whole area of subtitles seems a bit murky. For album titles the 'correct' method would appear to be use the same title across all discs. TSST looks to be fairly new however it wouldn't break anything if it's there or not.

Track subtitles don't appear to be used by MusicBrainz, they seem to use Work:Title as the track title, i.e. with a colon, rather than Subtitle=Work, Title=Title, hence my initial question. (apologies if that's not the correct terminology.)

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

John
For multiple disc, I have a structure that works, each album with his cover AND cdart even it's diferent.
I follow this way:

Folder structure:

Helloween
1998 - Pumpikin Box
Disc 01 - From The Early Days And B-Sides
1. Starlight.mp3
2. Victim Of Fate.mp3
15. Victim Of Fate (Michael Kiske Version).mp3
cdart.png
folder.jpg
Disc 02 - Keeper Of The Seven Keys
1. (name of track).mp3
2. (name of track).mp3
15. (name of track).mp3
cdart.png
folder.jpg
Disc 03 - With Roland And Live Tracks
1. (name of track).mp3
2. (name of track).mp3
15. (name of track).mp3
cdart.png
folder.jpg

Each cdart.png is Diferent
Each folder.png is equal (But, if was diferent, it works.)

In the tags, I've put Pumpin Box in Album, each track with his name, in Track number I've put their respective numbers, in Disc Number I've put 1, 2 or 3.
Obviouly, the artist name and album artist is Helloween. In year, I've put 1998 in ALL 3 disc.

The name of the folder doesn't matter, it's just to my own organization.

When I enter in Helloween -> Pumpkin box, I've see a extense list with ALL tracks of the box. When it play, it show the album art provides from folder.jpg and cd art provides from cdart.png.

When the last track from disc 1 has finished, the fist track from disc 2 is started, with the album art provides from folder.jpg (in this case is the same image, BUT, if was different, the image was THAT ONE in folder of disc 2), and cd art provides from cdart.png in disc 2 (diferent from disc 1). And follow this way on disc 3.

To avoid kodi shows me the track list like Track01.mp3, Track01.mp3, Track01.mp3 (disc 1. 2. 3), Track02.mp3, Track02.mp3, Track02.mp3 (disc 1. 2. 3), I've sorted by TRACK in kodi, this way, shows me ALL tracks from disc 1 first, then ALL tracks from disc 2, and follow by ALL tracks from disc 3.

I use this folder structure to separate each art from their repective album.

hope th8is help you and others.
Just make sure your album name is the same for all disks, and make sure it has a disk number 01, 02, 03 ect and you should be fine.

As Dave says, boxart covers are a feature request.
(2016-06-19, 20:54)john.hind Wrote: 2. I can get (disc number)(track number) in the listing. It just looks a bit messy for single discs. Perhaps an option for disc number, or a couple of spaces if none. (hows that for a quick'n'dirty solution.)

I use [%S/][%N. ] for my track naming. I think that's in general what you are looking for? It's OK unless someone put 1 or 1/1 in the discnumber tag (at least in my aesthetic).

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I have the same issue. Every disc is in a subfolder, but tagged with the same album name.
And I use the discnumer field.
I have this folder structure and it works in almost every player:
albumartist - album/albumartist - album (disc 1)/tracknumber - artist - title
(2017-09-08, 15:44)mase76 Wrote: I have the same issue. Every disc is in a subfolder, but tagged with the same album name.

Do you have Sort by: Track selected.
(2017-09-08, 16:07)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2017-09-08, 15:44)mase76 Wrote: I have the same issue. Every disc is in a subfolder, but tagged with the same album name.

Do you have Sort by: Track selected.

This did it, thx!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi Disc Albums (Box Set)0