• 44(current)
WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K
I've just bought a 65KS9000 curved UHD TV and want to upgrade from my chromebox Kodi and get ready to be able to play some high quality demo materials etc. on the new TV, so I need a new AVR that can pass 4K@60hz and I need a new Kodi box with HDMI 2.0.

I want to use the hub as a 100% LibreElec Kodi box with an Xbox One media remote (minimal, lights up when moved, perfect IR remote), using 99% mostly high bitrate 1080p bluray type content currently in my library, with some 4K 10bit HDR content such as demo material. I will also need passthough of HD audio (DTS-HD, TrueHD, not Atmos). Needs to be snappy interface and be recognized as a set top box input rather than a PC input as the Chromebox keeps doing which means manually setting the TV source controls quite often.

It seems to be an amazing device and from trying to browse the latest updated info in this thread, it looks like it will do everything except HDR, which the Odroid C2 does. I can't much decide between these two. As they appear to be the same SoC why does one do HDR the other doesn't?

Which would you go for?
(2016-10-21, 15:56)t2ffn Wrote: Which would you go for?

Hi t2ffn. I don't know about the other machine. I only have experience with the Wetek Hub. All I can say is that the LE 7.1 by wrxtasy is sweet. It's responsive, fast and it can play the largest bitrate I can throw at it (via USB). Surprising for a small device.
That being said, I don't know if there're only a few of us using the Hub's USB port or I'm the only one bothered by it because I think I'm the only one complaining about it. I find it annoying that it reboots every time I plug in a USB powered device. This can easily be solved by letting the Hub run its course or just plug the USB in before turning the Hub on.

Hope this helps you decide.
Hello Kodi-members,

I recently bought a TCL U55S6806S TV. This TV supports 4 HDMI 2.0 ports and a USB 3.0 port. I tried to play some 4K media files (mkv),but unfortunately the TV does not support DTS audio codec Sad There is no DTS update planed as the support told me. Then I tried to play the files with VLC media player for Xbox One S, but the Xbox OS crashes every time I select the file. So I decided to buy a smart TV box as the WeTek Hub is. But, as i read, the Wetek Hub does not have a separate optical audio output as the wetek play 2 has one. So, can I play the files one the wetek hub, send the DTS sound over HDMI to my non DTS supporting TV and play the sound with my Logitech Z5500 sound system that is connected to the TVs optical port? Or do I need to go with the wetek hub 2?
I hope you can help me! Smile
Yours, Markus
Hiya,

Two options:

a) If your TV does not support 5.1 DTS it will tell the Hub that particular audio format is not supported, so Kodi will then downmix 5.1 channel DTS Audio to 2.0 Channel PCM audio which the TV can accept. This is all automatic.

b) the second method is in Kodi Audio options, you simply select "Enabled Dolby Digital transcoding" that converts DTS to AC3 audio which your TV will accept. You will however experience some Audio quality loss due to transcoding.

As for AC3 or even DTS Passthrough by your TV with optical out, you will have to do your own research on that as Kodi has no influence on what audio formats your TV can passthrough to the soundbar. You may be lucky and someone may have the same setup you have and can answer exactly what would happen.

(2016-10-22, 10:11)auren Wrote: I find it annoying that it reboots every time I plug in a USB powered device. This can easily be solved by letting the Hub run its course or just plug the USB in before turning the Hub on.
The problem you have here is very common across all low powered ARM devices. RPi's ODROID's and all other AMLogic boxes. That is they cannot supply enough USB power to reliably run 2.5" Hard Drives.
If you are connecting Multiple USB power hungry devices you need to budget for a powered USB Hub to prevent issues. 3.5" externally powered Hard Drives will have no such issues.

It is the USB power drain that is causing the Hub to reboot.

@t2ffnp,
(2016-10-21, 15:56)t2ffn Wrote: It seems to be an amazing device and from trying to browse the latest updated info in this thread, it looks like it will do everything except HDR, which the Odroid C2 does. I can't much decide between these two. As they appear to be the same SoC why does one do HDR the other doesn't?

Which would you go for?

The AMLogic S905 SoC's (Chips) in the WeTek's and ODROID C2 are not HDR capable.

One option is a ultra budget HDR capable AMLogic S905X box running LibreELEC, but even then I'm unsure if LibreELEC Kodi can output HDR10 video.
More information on S905X LibreELEC would be in this thread:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

For what you want really the HDR Netflix capable, nVIDIA Shield is the best option. As its a relatively mature Android device now that gives you all the Android TV OS bells and whistles in a nice flexible package. Good luck finding one. A new v2.0 model should be on sale very soon, packing Android Nougat 7.0 most likely.

BTW: The Hub will be slower than a Chromebox. The IR output and sensitivity from the included Hub remote is not that good either, but Bluetooth remotes can fix that.

(2016-10-22, 12:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Hiya,

Two options:

Thank you very much! I will buy the hub (as its the only one available at time) and try it with my tv. I think Dolby Digital transcoding is the perfect compromise for my setup! Smile
Yours, Markus
Hi,

I am awaiting delivery of a Wetek Hub. This post helped me make my decision. I was looking for a competent all in one box for my main tv. I currently have a raspberry pi2 running Libreelec.

I have a few questions :- my tv supports up to 1080p.

Automatic refresh rate should be disabled for kodi (Android settings) but on for everything else, is that correct?
I am quite sensitive to screen stutter so I want to have this set up correctly.
Does the Amazon Instant video app and the Netflix app supoort 1080p playback or do I need to install a different version? Or use a browser?
Can you access google movies with the hub?

Any help is appreciated.
Yes

Netflix is 1080P, regardless of app used

Amazon appears SD as best I can tell, regardless of app used.

I'm unsure about Google Movies.
(2016-10-27, 14:02)Muadebe Wrote: Automatic refresh rate should be disabled for kodi (Android settings) but on for everything else, is that correct?
I am quite sensitive to screen stutter so I want to have this set up correctly.
Does the Amazon Instant video app and the Netflix app supoort 1080p playback or do I need to install a different version? Or use a browser?
Can you access google movies with the hub?

Any help is appreciated.
  • Android Settings > Display > Automatic Refresh Rate > Level 2
  • (WeTek) Display Refresh Rate App > Highlight > WeTek Media Player & Kodi a Blue color
  • When using WMP or Kodi, use the normal Settings of Adjust Display Refresh Rate > Start / Stop

Google Movies will only come with devices running the Google Android TV OS ROM.
    Officially ATV OS licensed devices like the Mi Box & nVIDIA Shield + some TV's will get access to HD Google Movies
    Devices like the Play2 running an un-official ATV OS ROM will get Google Movies only in SD.

And finally if you really need HD Amazon (Prime) Instant Video really you should be buying at the very least a Amazon FireTV Stick2.
Everything else is a tiresome, unreliable workaround.

Hi,

Thank you Ned Scott and wrxtasy for the replies.

Good to know before receiving the box (due today) - saves on those head scratching moments.

I have a firestick I can use when needed for Amazon so thats fine with me.

Thanks
Hi,

Im up and running.

I tried a netflix tv os version but it was buggy, needing frequent relogging. Decided to go with stock version (works fine ) and I will be investing in a Mele F10 deluxe remote.
I noticed some of the audio sync in netflix seemed slightly off - turning my tv to game mode sorted this. No pq loss in doing so.
Installed other tv apps such as bbc, itv etc this further compounded the need for an air mouse.

Happy with the hub, the performance is quick and smooth. The remote is pretty unforgivable, it provides limited use and feels cheap.

Thanks.
Some of you may have been following the WeTek Play2 thread, well Ricardo has now released an Android TV OS ROM for the wee little Hub.

[ROM] [WeOS 1.0.2 BASED] Android TV v1.0

What I've tested and works:
  • HDCP Keys, Widevine Level1 and Microsoft Playready DRM remains intact
  • 720/1080p - Dolby Digital 5.1 Netflix
  • ATV OS Google Play Store, Music, Movies etc...
  • Excellent hardware deinterlacing of all mpeg2 / H264 / 29.97 / 25 / 50fps TV streams.
  • Full Automatic - Android (Level 2), system wide, dynamic Refresh Rate switching. Eg 24p 1080p Netflix playback + other Apps
  • 5.1 AC3 Audio Passthrough in WeTek Media Player (Jarvis) App (HD audio untested yet, should work fine)
  • Smooth video playback for all 23.976 / 29.97 / 59.94fps video content in WMP.
  • Handy Sideload / Launcher for regular Lollipop Apps added.
  • Dual Boot Android TV OS / LibreELEC Kodi works
  • Pretty much Idiot proof Reflashing and updating of the ROM to internal eMMC storage, very easy ! Smile
Limitations:
  • Overall the 1GB Hub is a little bit slower than the ATV OS on the 2GB WeTek Play2 due to more use of - low level Garbage collection and Memory Management - Android and Kernel housekeeping routines on the 1GB Hub. Still very usable though.
  • WeTek themselves - need to update their underlying WeOS 1.0.2 Firmware on even the regular Lollipop Hub for better OS functionality of Level 2 AMLogic FRA and the RGB video output Android setting switch for those with the problematic Philips TV's.

(2016-11-01, 05:23)wrxtasy Wrote: Some of you may have been following the WeTek Play2 thread, well Ricardo has now released an Android TV OS ROM for the wee little Hub.

[ROM] [WeOS 1.0.2 BASED] Android TV v1.0

Oh snap!

So that I don't brick my unit.....

#1 do factory reset through recovery
#2 download file above and copy to sd card
#3 put hub in recovery and flash contents from sd card

Does that sound correct?
Hi,

My Wetek was playing a video yesterday using wetek media player. Videos are on a old NAS (Synology 211j).

And for the first time I had some buffering every 10 minutes... how can I troubleshoot that ? Can I enable a "perf graph" to see the network bandwidth or similar ?

The movie was about 8GB usually.
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Hub - 24p HD Netflix - HD Kodi Audio - 10bit HEVC - Lollipop - 4K3