Hi-res audio playback
(2016-08-19, 22:32)MrMC Wrote: Guess again Smile

Well... then it ought to be the Green King or is it the Orange Prince from China Wink

Anyways... here is a Kodi debug log from the Shield- http://pastebin.com/6JmahiYR

Line 843 --> 24/96 Stereo FLAC

Line 983 --> 24/96 Multichannel FLAC

You can see that AudioTrack is initialized appropriately, but the output is actually 16-bit 48kHz in both the cases.
(2016-08-20, 02:28)smitopher Wrote: So could you tell the difference between a well mastered 16 bit/48kHz file and a well mastered 24/192 file of the same recording? double blind?
There is no definite answer to this question. A few studies have shown that trained people may have a slightly higher chance in identifying hi-res track correctly than the untrained. I know that I can't differentiate between the two, but if someone tells me that they can, I just believe them Wink
This is an interesting read on the subject : https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
(2016-08-20, 02:28)smitopher Wrote:
(2016-08-20, 02:22)katwax Wrote: Ok the reason why I have and buy Hires audio is more that they are often better mixed than the regular 16bit (cd) stuff. There are many test out there on the loudnesswar db that show you what I mean.
So could you tell the difference between a well mastered 16 bit/48kHz file and a well mastered 24/192 file of the same recording? double blind?

I'm all for hi res for recording the original session for max flexibility in mastering. But really, Google Play max streaming and a Chromecast are pretty nice.

No I don't think I could, but I tried it a few times in the past and I think the difference is that it's mastered differently.
Daft Punk -> Random Access Memories -> have te cd release and the studio master, you can hear the difference
Muse -> Drones -> also cd vs hi-res, big difference

In both cases it seems to be mastered differently.
Ofcourse if it's a problem with Kodi on Android, I could use a Wetek and boot it with Openelec.
24bits is just a false issue, as Android now supports float, which is basically 32bits.
The real "issue" is that the Android mixer is still limited to 48khz, afaik, so you have to bypass it somehow to be able to output 96khz or 192khz.

Shield has a special audio routing for 24/96, but unfortunately you don't have access to the PCM 24 mode from JAVA/JNI.
Still wondering how Google Play Music does it, unless they resolve to use the private C interface.

OE/LE do not have this issue, as Kodi just "owns" the full hardware and can talk directly to ALSA

PS to specify that the mixer downsamples to 48khz, so you can pass 96khz but it's still output in 48khz
(2016-08-20, 05:38)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-08-20, 02:28)smitopher Wrote: So could you tell the difference between a well mastered 16 bit/48kHz file and a well mastered 24/192 file of the same recording? double blind?
There is no definite answer to this question. A few studies have shown that trained people may have a slightly higher chance in identifying hi-res track correctly than the untrained. I know that I can't differentiate between the two, but if someone tells me that they can, I just believe them Wink

(2016-08-20, 11:04)katwax Wrote: No I don't think I could, but I tried it a few times in the past and I think the difference is that it's mastered differently.
Daft Punk -> Random Access Memories -> have te cd release and the studio master, you can hear the difference
Muse -> Drones -> also cd vs hi-res, big difference

In both cases it seems to be mastered differently.

I REALLY REALLY wanted to believe hi res was better. Now I just listen and enjoy. Big Grin

Hack mastering has ruined way too much otherwise fine music.
(2016-08-20, 11:17)Koying Wrote: 24bits is just a false issue, as Android now supports float, which is basically 32bits.
The real "issue" is that the Android mixer is still limited to 48khz, afaik, so you have to bypass it somehow to be able to output 96khz or 192khz.
Actually, 24/96 stereo PCM was working on the Nexus Player (Marshmallow), but multichannel 24/96 was output as multichannel 16/48. On Android N (DP5), it is now the exact opposite. 24/96 stereo output is 16/48 and multichannel 24/96 output is now multichannel 16/96!

SPMC 16.4.2 debug log: http://pastebin.com/WZ7j5Hu2
(2016-08-20, 11:17)Koying Wrote: 24bits is just a false issue, as Android now supports float, which is basically 32bits.
Bumping this thread as I'm now finding confusing, conflicting information in a number of Android Kodi media player Audio tests.

From @hdmkv's Q10 Pro testing: (and Zidoo X9S)
Quote:[Audio] 96kHz, 192kHz and 96kHz/24-bit = all three pass
So do HiMedia and Zidoo use the private C Audio interface, the same way Google Music (exclusively) does it ?

I believe hdmkv when he says they "Pass", but 96kHz or 192kHz Audio output from Android seems hard to believe.
Maybe he just means 96/192kHz "Plays" ?

I have MiniMX android s905 w/ Libreelec from kszaq.
I have many music with flac and 5.1 flac w/ 96,88,48,44,192 kHz Format.
Over hdmi all of the format on my avr
Yes this is the same for all the well supported AMLogic S905 LibreELEC releases now running on the ODROID C2 & WeTek's also.
There are still further Audio improvements coming down the pipe for S905 LibreELEC platforms going forward as well.

(2016-08-19, 22:32)MrMC Wrote: Guess again Smile
Starts with an X? I kind of feel like I have heard some cat - iaomi, ahem meowing Huh
Nope Wink
https://forum.mrmc.tv/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=808
aaaah Big Grin. Nice! Now I will have a look at the shield now and then, since I know you have your hands working on it Smile
NW

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hi-res audio playback0