v16 Share Music "Files" Node over UPNP
Is there any way to share the "Files" node of the music library over UPNP/DLNA (either already in Jarvis, or in development)?

This seems to be a sadly neglected area - does no-one have more than a handful of albums :-(
AFAIK, the answer is no, and the primary dev for music is aware of this and might work on this in the future, though I think the emphasis is on getting the library whipped into shape so there isn't the need to use files mode. Better to ask in the Music Support forum.

scott s.
Moving over to "Music Corner".....

AFAIK the answers is no too (and I could be the music dev Scott mentioned, but someone else is working on upnp etc.).

Quote:This seems to be a sadly neglected area - does no-one have more than a handful of albums :-(
On the contrary, many albums here and I know others do too. But we use the music library (created by scanning tagged music files), rather than files view or upnp. The files view does have uses, you don't always want to add music to your library before listening to it, but it is not the primary way to use Kodi either.

So left wondering if there is some other way to achieve what you want?
Thanks. I appreciate the help!

I prefer the folder view locally for a few reasons
  • I can break down the artists alphabetically to avoid having an enormous list to scroll through
  • Less 'noise', i.e. no artists who would appear in the list because they're on one track of a compilation
  • I have more control over the arrangement using folders, e.g. put albums by, say "Toby Jepson" and "Toby and the Whole Truth" in the same folder.
  • If I have a multi-channel album ripped, I can have with a stereo version in one folder and a 5.1 version in another so I only go looking for the 5.1 version if I'm on the box attached to the surround receiver.

Currently for other kodi boxes around the house I use the SMB share to achieve the same experience.

I want the folder view over UPnP for sharing to a Roberts radio that was fine with UPnP from MediaTomb on a NAS, but doesn't like SMB from the OSMC/Kodi box.
I'm always interested in why people don't use the music library, especially since your reasons are about music selection. Some I can see are achievable now, others not yet (but could inspire new features).
Quote:I can break down the artists alphabetically to avoid having an enormous list to scroll through
You can also do this with custom nodes (I'm sure there is an example from Zag elsewhere on the forum), but you can also use filter from the side blade to do that.
Quote:Less 'noise', i.e. no artists who would appear in the list because they're on one track of a compilation
Simply set "Show song and album artists" setting to disabled and only see album artists.
Quote:I have more control over the arrangement using folders, e.g. put albums by, say "Toby Jepson" and "Toby and the Whole Truth" in the same folder.
Ah, grouping artists. No the library can't do that, not unless you tag all the albums with the same album artist and that is clunky (and hard work if using musicbrainz tags). Added to my list of things users do that the library doesn't support.
Quote:If I have a multi-channel album ripped, I can have with a stereo version in one folder and a 5.1 version in another so I only go looking for the 5.1 version if I'm on the box attached to the surround receiver.
I don't think there is a standard (or even commonly used) tag for number of channels, although I guess it must be a file property, so the library does not have standard way to differentiate these. But you could use a path rule in smartplaylists or custom nodes if you have named folders consistently.

Give library a go perhaps?

But for the UPnP question you need the guy that was working on it, and he seems to be busy with other stuff at the moment.
Files View (tree structure) via UPNP would good please. apart from serving to devices using the smb method i also access my music via UPNP on a sony and samsung tv and to its a complete nightmare navigating my very large music collection via the library method. Its very slow and cumbersome. being able to access my music via a folder/file tree structure like smb would be a dream to use on slow devices.
Thank You
see this post in another thread. this kind of backdoor solution works: mount your audio file locations in the video files node. kodi itself won't show there anything as there are no video files. but if you browse there with another upnp client you will see your audio files.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Share Music "Files" Node over UPNP0