• 51(current)
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware
(2017-07-06, 14:54)movie78 Wrote:
(2017-07-06, 14:25)vinz811 Wrote: I've spent some time reading through this post.

I'm on the fence about purchasing an Intel Nuc NUC7I5BNH matched with 32GB RAM and 120GB M2 SATA SSD for media consumption and light gaming and emulation.

I just want to confirm if my setup would be sufficient for the following:

- 4K MKV Playback YES No HDR
- DTS:X and DOLBY ATMOS passthrough YES tested on Windows
- Light Gaming Not tested
- Windows 10 Yes
- Amazon & Netflix 4K Streaming Not Tested

Ideally - I need this with a single HDMI 2.0 cable and no really other fancy jazz. HDMI in and HDMI out supporting all this kind of stuff to a beautiful 4K TV playing all my content without any issue.

Thoughts?!

Hope that helps

HDR works fine with Kaby lake nuc. You'll have to use Powerdvd as it wont work in Kodi.
Netflix 4K works fine, I dont have amazon but im sure it works.
There is no such thing as HDMI 2.0 cables. There are regular HDMI and High Speed Hdmi cable and you'll need the High Speed one for 4K.

It may be a bit confusing with all versions of HDMI cables, so I'll try to make it a little easier to understand. A certified HDMI cable should now have one of these labels:

Standard HDMI Cable (Supports Resolution 1080i and 720p)
Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet (supports resolution to 1080i and 720p and has network)
High Speed ​​HDMI Cable (Supports 1080p, 4K, 3D and Deep Color)
High Speed ​​HDMI Cable with Ethernet (Supports 1080p, 4K, 3D and Deep Color and has Network)

But all versions of HDMI cables then?
The HDMI version (HDMI 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc.) only denotes the features and resolutions supported by the devices you are pairing, not the cable itself. In other words, if you have a new Blu-ray player that supports 3D (HDMI Version 1.4), your TV must also support 3D (HDMI Version 1.4). Then you will use a high speed HDMI cable. However, there are still many who are stubborn by calling the cables for version numbers to show that they support those features.
And the monoprice high speed certified cables are working great for me.

Sent from my HTC 10
So, if I don't need 3D but am looking to upgrade to a solid windows machine (I have a lot of attached hdd media) would the NUC7I3BNK still be a decent choice?
Have a Denon 2300 receiver for 7.1 audio but no 4K tv yet, coming soon Smile
(2017-07-06, 21:33)Temujin Wrote: So, if I don't need 3D but am looking to upgrade to a solid windows machine (I have a lot of attached hdd media) would the NUC7I3BNK still be a decent choice?

You didn't mention 3D. 3D was seriously broken for me on Kaby Lake. I returned my $700 investment and have been far happier with my $130 Himedia Q5 Pro. [It won't do Netflix 4K HDR but my TiVo Bolt+ will.]
(2017-07-06, 14:54)movie78 Wrote:
(2017-07-06, 14:25)vinz811 Wrote: I've spent some time reading through this post.

I'm on the fence about purchasing an Intel Nuc NUC7I5BNH matched with 32GB RAM and 120GB M2 SATA SSD for media consumption and light gaming and emulation.

I just want to confirm if my setup would be sufficient for the following:

- 4K MKV Playback YES No HDR
- DTS:X and DOLBY ATMOS passthrough YES tested on Windows
- Light Gaming Not tested
- Windows 10 Yes
- Amazon & Netflix 4K Streaming Not Tested

Ideally - I need this with a single HDMI 2.0 cable and no really other fancy jazz. HDMI in and HDMI out supporting all this kind of stuff to a beautiful 4K TV playing all my content without any issue.

Thoughts?!

Hope that helps

Awesome! Thanks! Do we know if HDR is a software or hardware issue? Ideally, if it's software then I'll most likely move forward with my investment as it meets all my requirements.

I'll share my feedback on testing Light Gaming and Amazon & Netflix 4K streaming once I get the machine all set up.
Light gaming works great. I have Steam installed and games like Ori and the blind Forest or Castlevania run in 1080p with all setting maxed. With Quantum Break you quickly noticed, that it is not unplayable, but too clunky for me. Runs at 720p with around 30 fps. But QB is not what I consider "light gaming"

Monkey Island runs in 4K at least Smile
(2017-07-06, 14:25)vinz811 Wrote: Awesome! Thanks! Do we know if HDR is a software or hardware issue? Ideally, if it's software then I'll most likely move forward with my investment as it meets all my requirements.

HDR is a Kodi issue.
(2017-07-06, 14:25)vinz811 Wrote: HDR is a Kodi issue.

...and an Intel driver issue afaik, but both obviously software. Hardware is capable...
(2017-07-07, 09:09)snipah Wrote:

...and an Intel driver issue afaik, but both obviously software. Hardware is capable...

Awesome! Thanks Guys! I should get my system tomorrow and will do all the tests over the weekend and share feedback!
(2017-07-07, 09:09)snipah Wrote:

Have I missed something? HDR works great on my kaby lake i5 with powerdvd.
Both TV and Powerdvd reports HDR mode when playing UHD movie with HDR.
Sure, but if you don't want to use external player, you definitely have to wait for the WDM2.2 drivers which - according to MS/ Intel will contain the HDR-stuff. Kodi itself does not pass on the HDR-metadata if I remember correctly.
A little off topic but what if I replace my NUC7I3 with my 1080ti gaming rig? Its just as close to my tv. Would I then get HDR in kodi and atmos passthrough over hdmi, etc? Or is the HDR issue in Kodi windows in general and not just the NUC?
(2017-07-07, 13:04)bandroidx Wrote: A little off topic but what if I replace my NUC7I3 with my 1080ti gaming rig? Its just as close to my tv. Would I then get HDR in kodi and Atmos passthrough over HDMI, etc? Or is the HDR issue in Kodi windows in general and not just the NUC?

No HDR in Kodi yet, but ATMOS will work.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2017-07-06, 21:33)Temujin Wrote: So, if I don't need 3D but am looking to upgrade to a solid windows machine (I have a lot of attached hdd media) would the NUC7I3BNK still be a decent choice?

Do you intend on using Netflix on your NUC?
If so you might run into the problem I encountered on my Beebox, like you are thinking I had to upgrade my HTPC and invested in a Beebox-S 7200U because I thought it would give me some future proofing for when I invest in 4K and HDR equipment.
However as I've posted previously I've found a serious bug when trying to play Neflix either via a browser or the Windows app on a non 4K TV, the whole system locks up giving a message along the lines that "your TV is nor HDC 2.2 compatible" forcing a hard reset.
On the Beebox I got over this by connecting to the HDMI 1.4 port but I don't believe the NUC's have two HDMI ports.

Not sure if connecting a 1.4 cable to the NUC might also cure this, when I have some time I'll try that on my Beebox
(2017-07-07, 15:17)movie78 Wrote:
(2017-07-07, 13:04)bandroidx Wrote: A little off topic but what if I replace my NUC7I3 with my 1080ti gaming rig? Its just as close to my tv. Would I then get HDR in kodi and Atmos passthrough over HDMI, etc? Or is the HDR issue in Kodi windows in general and not just the NUC?

No HDR in Kodi yet, but ATMOS will work.

so the only way to get HDR in Kodi is on an android build? Odd.
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware3