• 52(current)
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware
(2017-07-08, 02:15)bandroidx Wrote: so the only way to get HDR in Kodi is on an android build? Odd.

Kodi has not HDR support whatsoever. Kodi Leia will support HDR metadata.

If it works on Android, it might be something from the OS, I don't know. (I have two Shield devices, but have no idea if it works or not)
(2017-07-08, 02:29)dogzipp Wrote:
(2017-07-08, 02:15)bandroidx Wrote: so the only way to get HDR in Kodi is on an android build? Odd.

If it works on Android, it might be something from the OS, I don't know. (I have two Shield devices, but have no idea if it works or not)

Yes it does work on SPMC builds if you use surface rendering.
So Android Kodi can have HDR support. Seems like Linux is behind Android in this regard.
What does not make sense is if both Kaby and Apollo Lake use DP to HDMI chips and no native HDMI 2.0 then how can Kaby support it on Windows and Apollo not!
(2017-07-08, 22:08)Nekromantik Wrote: What does not make sense is if both Kaby and Apollo Lake use DP to HDMI chips and no native HDMI 2.0 then how can Kaby support it on Windows and Apollo not!
Because it's not a hardware limitation and Intel just decided that Apollo shouldn't support it (to keep it's more expensive platform interesting imho).
Intel NUC6CAYH + afedchin's Kodi Windows MVC + LG OLED 55E6
(2017-07-08, 02:29)dogzipp Wrote:

I cant speak to all Android boxes but I can say 100% HDR10 works in Kodi proper on my Nvidia Shield. Not SPMC, although I must use SPMC to get atmos.
Intel released a BIOS-Upgrade for their Gen7-NUCs on July, 4th.

Quote:Changes:
Updated GOP Driver to version 9.0.1066

Updated processor support.

Updated the EC to version 8.5.
The fixes include: The fan would not run when Wake from LAN was used.

Modified the Fast Boot and Intel Optane™ Memory setup item behavior.

Moved the placement of the Intel® Optane™ Memory warning from top left corner to the middle of the screen

Afaik, the GOP is the "graphics output protocol": Does this in some way help with HDR? But we still need the WDM2.2 drivers, correct?
I have the NUC7i3BNH, i saw that i can use the USB Type C port with adapter to DP with this adapter :

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-...B01E9RTEI8

And then from DP to HDMI via this adapter :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6Z...CU25&psc=1

Will this bring back my HD Pass Through support Huh - I'm using Marantz receiver 5007 so i need to connect the computer via HDMI for HD Audio ...

P.S I'm using the latest LibreELEC as an OS ....
It will not. At least not with Libreelec. If you install Windows, it will bring it back, but LIbrelec probably needs new Linux kernel and drivers. A 8.2 version is upcoming by the end of summer and supposedly it will have improved support for newer Intel GPU hardware.

Also, best thing to do, would be to use only one adapter:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016...UTF8&psc=1
OK, but isn't it better to use Type C to HDMI 1.4 ?
I don't have any 4K TV or Receiver for that matter , so i don't need support for it ...
(2017-07-12, 08:51)snipah Wrote: Afaik, the GOP is the "graphics output protocol": Does this in some way help with HDR? But we still need the WDM2.2 drivers, correct?

the GOP driver only handles pre-OS driver duties, so it has zero influence over how HDR is handled by the OS drivers.

(2017-07-13, 06:32)guandms Wrote: I have the NUC7i3BNH, i saw that i can use the USB Type C port with adapter

Will this bring back my HD Pass Through support Huh - I'm using Marantz receiver 5007 so i need to connect the computer via HDMI for HD Audio ...

P.S I'm using the latest LibreELEC as an OS ....

use a USB-C to HDMI adapter (no need for 2 adapters) and HD audio passthru will work in LE; the issue is only with the onboard DP->HDMI 2.0 converter chip.
Thanks, bought the Type C to HDMI 2.0 , will update if that solved the issue ...
(2017-07-07, 15:17)movie78 Wrote:
(2017-07-07, 13:04)bandroidx Wrote: A little off topic but what if I replace my NUC7I3 with my 1080ti gaming rig? Its just as close to my tv. Would I then get HDR in kodi and Atmos passthrough over HDMI, etc? Or is the HDR issue in Kodi windows in general and not just the NUC?

No HDR in Kodi yet, but ATMOS will work.

Does that include the latest Linux Kernel/Linux Kodi?
(2017-07-03, 11:44)wrxtasy Wrote: Ironically the cheapest trashiest HDMI 2.0 - 4K AMLogic S905(x) Android hardware on the market gets turned from the Ugly stepsister into Cinderella if all you want is (non HDR) 4K LibreELEC Kodi Krypton with all the - working - audio and video Bells and Whistles to go with it inc. Multichannel 24bit/192kHz PCM Audio. Oh I forgot to mention working HDMI-CEC...

From the linked article above...

Quote:And what about the latest NUCs?
Oh well, you won't find a "change of specifications" history in their TPS (yet), and they all promise "192kHz/24bit" exactly as last year Skylake NUCs did... but I wonder why I should ever trust Intel again on such promises: maybe by August 2017 those specs will also be "downgraded" to "192kHz/16bit", huh? Or something else that worked fine on previous NUCs won't work any longer...

So do you trust Intel from this point going forwards, that is the real question ?

This isn't quite correct. No Amlogic SoC devices that I have checked support 24-bit PCM output. They are all limited to 16-bit PCM even in LE.

I have checked this on Odroid C2 (Raybuntu rb-krypton 15.3), S905X/S912 (kszaq 8.0.2e), Minix Neo U9-H (Android FW005 with multichannel PCM output), Raspberry Pi2, Intel Haswell & Kaby Lake (LE, Windows, these are not Intel NUCs).

I did get 24-bit output on RPi2 and Intel systems. Kaby Lake system was flaky in Windows 10. 24/192kHz LPCM was output as 16/48kHz stereo for some reason. 24/192kHz LPCM did work under LE. In RPi2 and Intel LE systems, even 16-bit source had 24-bit output. I think I remember @fritsch saying something about zero padding. While that doesn't alter anything, I am not sure whether that can be considered to be "bit exact".
(2017-07-16, 09:46)wesk05 Wrote:
(2017-07-03, 11:44)wrxtasy Wrote: Ironically the cheapest trashiest HDMI 2.0 - 4K AMLogic S905(x) Android hardware on the market gets turned from the Ugly stepsister into Cinderella if all you want is (non HDR) 4K LibreELEC Kodi Krypton with all the - working - audio and video Bells and Whistles to go with it inc. Multichannel 24bit/192kHz PCM Audio. Oh I forgot to mention working HDMI-CEC...

From the linked article above...

Quote:And what about the latest NUCs?
Oh well, you won't find a "change of specifications" history in their TPS (yet), and they all promise "192kHz/24bit" exactly as last year Skylake NUCs did... but I wonder why I should ever trust Intel again on such promises: maybe by August 2017 those specs will also be "downgraded" to "192kHz/16bit", huh? Or something else that worked fine on previous NUCs won't work any longer...

So do you trust Intel from this point going forwards, that is the real question ?

This isn't quite correct. No Amlogic SoC devices that I have checked support 24-bit PCM output. They are all limited to 16-bit PCM even in LE.

I have checked this on Odroid C2 (Raybuntu rb-krypton 15.3), S905X/S912 (kszaq 8.0.2e), Minix Neo U9-H (Android FW005 with multichannel PCM output), Raspberry Pi2, Intel Haswell & Kaby Lake (LE, Windows, these are not Intel NUCs).

I did get 24-bit output on RPi2 and Intel systems. Kaby Lake system was flaky in Windows 10. 24/192kHz LPCM was output as 16/48kHz stereo for some reason. 24/192kHz LPCM did work under LE. In RPi2 and Intel LE systems, even 16-bit source had 24-bit output. I think I remember @fritsch saying something about zero padding. While that doesn't alter anything, I am not sure whether that can be considered to be "bit exact".

I swear I've seen 24bit reported on earlier versions of LE for the ODROID C1 (with the HK Linux Audio tweaked - Kernel) - but that was before a bunch of recent Kernel and Audio changes. I've just re-checked and indeed it is now 16bit PCM as well. I suppose in the end unless you are a Audio aficionado can you tell the difference ?

So for Multichannel PCM - are the Apollo and Kaby Lake NUC's having any issues with that combo ?

(2017-07-16, 10:10)wrxtasy Wrote: I swear I've seen 24bit reported on earlier versions of LE for the ODROID C1 - but that may have been before a bunch of Kernel and Audio changes. I've just checked and indeed it is now 16bit PCM as well. I suppose in the end unless you are a Audio aficionado can you tell the difference ?

So for Multichannel PCM - are the Apollo and Kaby Lake NUC's having any issues with that combo ?
I may have also written something about that, but with the latest LE builds that I tested yesterday, I didn't see 24-bit output from any of the Amlogic SoCs. kszaq had mentioned that S905X is limited to 96kHz, but I actually got 192kHz output.

Personally, I believe that only an extreme audio aficionado will be able to hear the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit audio. I am not one, but I know there are a few out there Wink

I don't know anything about the NUCs. My Kaby Lake system is a custom built PC (Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming ITX/ac based).
(2017-07-16, 10:21)wesk05 Wrote: kszaq had mentioned that S905X is limited to 96kHz, but I actually got 192kHz output.
That 96kHz issue was fixed with a Kernel Audio patch.

• 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware3