• 55(current)
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware
(2017-08-15, 20:25)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-08-15, 18:34)binhex01 Wrote: OK, well thanks for the reply, if i wasn't too bothered about HD audio could i simply get kodi to transcode the audio and at the very least be able to get sound for movies with HD audio (all be it not HD audio, as in SD DTS/Dolby) or is this just not possible at all?.

you can still have HD audio, you just can't bitstream HD audio. Kodi can decode the HD audio stream and pass 8-ch PCM to your AVR. Not sure if Atmos/DTS-X are supported, but THD/DTS HD-MA are
Thanks for taking the time to explain that Matt, as you can tell audio isn't my strong point, after a bit of googling on pcm vs bitstream I now understand the difference.

A good link for anybody who doesn't already know the difference:-

https://www.lifewire.com/blu-ray-audio-b...cm-1846396

Sent from my SM-G935F
Thinking of buying the following as a relatively cheap 4K HDR upgrade (HDR for Leia).

ASROCK FATAL1TY Z170 GAMING-ITX - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%...ing-ITXac/ (multiple reports it will do 4k@60Hz & HDR & HDCP2.2, has HDMI2.0a via the onboard DP to HDMI converter)
Intel Celeron G3930 - https://ark.intel.com/products/97452/Int...e-2_90-GHz

The CPU is only £35, GT1 tier graphics but I don't need any more and all the video decoding stuff is fixed. Motherboard isn't hugely expensive but it's a pity there's no very cheap ITX board for Kaby Lake (with HDMI2.0a). DDR4 is needed too. All in all it seems like a reasonable upgrade for an existing ITX build. The mobo has an optical output which is nice, current setup requires a workaround to get DTS to audio decoder. Little bit concerned about negative reports on reliability for the ASROCK board but I'll go with it.
If it has a converter chip, i wouldn't mess with it.
Does this apply to all skylake/kaby lake cpu's? Im looking at the asrock deskmini and wondering if that one is capable of bitstreaming dts-hd/dolby hd
(2017-08-18, 22:21)Edvin512 Wrote: Does this apply to all skylake/kaby lake cpu's? Im looking at the asrock deskmini and wondering if that one is capable of bitstreaming dts-hd/dolby hd

all HDMI 2.0 outputs on ApolloLake and KabyLake devices. Skylake isn't affected (only has HDMI 1.4) and APL/KBL devices with dedicated HDMI 1.4 outputs are not affected either
(2017-08-18, 22:21)Edvin512 Wrote: Does this apply to all skylake/kaby lake cpu's? Im looking at the asrock deskmini and wondering if that one is capable of bitstreaming dts-hd/dolby hd
Deskmini (110) has a HDMI 1.4 and a DisplayPort. Both ports are able to bitstream audio in all formats with Kaby Lake, even when using a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 converter.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2017-08-18, 23:40)p750mmx Wrote: Deskmini (110) has a HDMI 1.4 and a DisplayPort. Both ports are able to bitstream audio in all formats with Kaby Lake, even when using a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 converter.

under Linux? Windows isn't the issue.
(2017-08-19, 01:31)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-08-18, 23:40)p750mmx Wrote: Deskmini (110) has a HDMI 1.4 and a DisplayPort. Both ports are able to bitstream audio in all formats with Kaby Lake, even when using a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 converter.

Topic title = Intel Kaby Lake Hardware and the question was of Deskmini supports Bitstream audio, and it does. Hardware wise it's not an issue, or doesn't have to be.
If an OS (or it's drivers), don't support the possibilities of the hardware then there lies the problem. If one would like to have HD audio, and Linux isn't supporting that (I don't know, never use it), then why would one choose a Linux solution?
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2017-08-19, 01:41)p750mmx Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 01:31)Matt Devo Wrote:

Topic title = Intel Kaby Lake Hardware and the question was of Deskmini supports Bitstream audio, and it does. Hardware wise it's not an issue, or doesn't have to be.
If an OS (or it's drivers), don't support the possibilities of the hardware then there lies the problem. If one would like to have HD audio, and Linux isn't supporting that (I don't know, never use it), then why would one choose a Linux solution?

Because you want to upgrade an existing, working, Linux solution rather than switch OSs (and pay for Windows)?
(2017-08-19, 02:13)noggin Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 01:41)p750mmx Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 01:31)Matt Devo Wrote: under Linux? Windows isn't the issue.

Because you want to upgrade an existing, working, Linux solution rather than switch OSs (and pay for Windows)?
If one will pay for new hardware (no upgrade), in this case a Asrock Deskmini with a Kaby Lake desktop CPU, why not for an OS if that gives you what one wants?
Windows 10 costs about €20,- as an digital license, not really a lot of money comparing it to the rest of the package?
(2017-08-19, 01:41)p750mmx Wrote: If one would like to have HD audio, and Linux isn't supporting that (I don't know, never use it), then why would one choose a Linux solution?

When using "Sync playback to display" option, isn't bitstreaming disabled anyway? Kodi decodes audio and sends "HD" multichannel PCM to HDMI.
(2017-08-19, 13:47)p750mmx Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 02:13)noggin Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 01:41)p750mmx Wrote: Topic title = Intel Kaby Lake Hardware and the question was of Deskmini supports Bitstream audio, and it does. Hardware wise it's not an issue, or doesn't have to be.

If one will pay for new hardware (no upgrade), in this case a Asrock Deskmini with a Kaby Lake desktop CPU, why not for an OS if that gives you what one wants?
Windows 10 costs about €20,- as an digital license, not really a lot of money comparing it to the rest of the package?

Not great if you are running TV Headend or other Linux-only software on the box. Some people do their best to avoid Windows for appliance-like devices.
(2017-08-19, 15:11)P.Kosunen Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 01:41)p750mmx Wrote: If one would like to have HD audio, and Linux isn't supporting that (I don't know, never use it), then why would one choose a Linux solution?

When using "Sync playback to display" option, isn't bitstreaming disabled anyway? Kodi decodes audio and sends multichannel PCM to HDMI.

Not sure how many people use 'Sync Playback to Display' - compared to 'Adjust Refresh Rate' (which preserves bitstreaming)

Sync Playback was really useful when 23.976 vs 24.000 issues prevailed - but they have largely been resolved. Similarly it was good in the early days to watch 23.976/24.000 at 50Hz on displays that didn't accept 24p natively and display it properly (Lots of us Europeans found 3:2 at 60Hz less preferable to 4% speed up at 50Hz)
(2017-08-19, 15:11)P.Kosunen Wrote:

When using "Sync playback to display" option, isn't bitstreaming disabled anyway? Kodi decodes audio and sends multichannel PCM to HDMI.
If you have a TV/Monitor that doesn't support the media's original refreshrate is does, but that is a setting that I never had used in my Home cinema setup when using a TV. Most modern TV's have no issues with different refreshrates, so the option > adjust display refreshrate < activated could be enough in most setups?

Am I missing or overlooking something maybe?
(2017-08-19, 15:19)noggin Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 13:47)p750mmx Wrote:
(2017-08-19, 02:13)noggin Wrote: Because you want to upgrade an existing, working, Linux solution rather than switch OSs (and pay for Windows)?

Not great if you are running TV Headend or other Linux-only software on the box. Some people do their best to avoid Windows for appliance-like devices.
I understand this, but I answered just on the Deskmini question and with the info giving in that question there was no more to say at that time. If user comes with a followup on that and with a lot more things he/she wants to do, besides what was mentioned, then it could be a whole different ballgame, I agree.
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Kaby Lake Hardware3